F.E.A.R. Reviews thread

Gorgon said:
around 1 hour so far, dam it

Where are you in the game?

Use spoiler tags in case the lads that haven’t played it yet wants to get spoiled. :)

I haven't read any of the reviews yet, but I guess they didn't polish the physics engine since the demo. There were some problems in it. The most memorable in the demo was when the gunship hovered above the open area and the ropes dangled from it. Whenever you shot the guys that slid down the ropes and went up on to the platform, the ropes that should have been laying on the ground were bouncing around, clipping through the platform.
That annoyed me.

I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy F.E.A.R. more than I did with HL2...

Bit of a crap story, and environments are really bland (before they're ripped apart in combat ofc) but it's scary as hell and fun to play. :D

Heh, I did something fun a while ago.

I don't know if I should take this with or without spoiler tags but... Whatever. :p
In one of the sections in the game you fall down from a ventilation shaft and down into a hole full of water.
So after I fell down, I climbed up on a ladder then headed forward. As I moved further, I saw that the road was blocked with a locked gate with a padlock. I then took out my shotgun, and aimed at the padlock. It was also some gas pouring of from a steam pipe just beside me. And as soon as I was about to fire the weapon, I thought to myself "Hmm... Gas... Something tells me I shouldn't fire the weapon with all this gas around me..." but my brain didn't understand that in time so clicked the trigger and... BLAM... A fire just started, and I just "Holy ***ing mother of Christ!" and RAN from the gate and just jumped into the pool of water, while the whole freaking area behind me smoked up like crazy, and gladly survived.

Heh, I laughed to myself after that. It looked so fun when I played. :LOL:

I tried the game just now. Downloaded it to see how it ran. Meh my old trusty GeForce FX 5600 is getting old. Ran like shit and looked like shit. Played for 15 mins until i threw it away. Seems kinda cool with a nice rig though. My birthday is coming up in like 3 weeks but im to old now so my parents wont give me anything :( Give me a new GFX card god!!

h00dlum said:
I tried the game just now. Downloaded it to see how it ran. Meh my old trusty GeForce FX 5600 is getting old. Ran like shit and looked like shit. Played for 15 mins until i threw it away. Seems kinda cool with a nice rig though. My birthday is coming up in like 3 weeks but im to old now so my parents wont give me anything :( Give me a new GFX card god!!
*Hands you a shovel* They have insurance over there don't they? Now you can get a whole computer :LOL:

i wish Valve could've taken some notes from Monolith about the A.I. it would've made HL2 alot better IMO.

john121 said:
i wish Valve could've taken some notes from Monolith about the A.I. it would've made HL2 alot better IMO.

Agreed. I was playing HL2 again tonight, soaking up the atmosphere and seeing the sights. There's so much in the game that is fantastic, but the fighting is crappy :/ (luckily the good bits are good enough to make up for this )

Another thing that's better in FEAR than HL2 is not only the AI, but the enemy reacts to the injuries they get when you fire upon them.
If you would shoot at a guy's leg, he would drop onto the ground just to stand up again and get all dizzy.
In HL2 the Combines doesn't seem to react when you shoot them, like if you shoot with the MP7 at a Combine he would just stand there like a statue.

Another thing that's pretty cool in FEAR as well, is when you kill an enemy, he starts to shoot some rounds with his weapon (I think this happens mostly with the sub-machinegun), just like in a movie. :)
It looks very cool in motion, especially with slow-mo turned on.

Well, great game, but way too short *AND* I was really disappointed by the amount of combat against those "ninja" clone soldiers. The action is fantastic, but I didn't understand much about the story ...

oh and huge UP for the AI

Shit, you guys have the game!? I have to wait till I have my new computer. :angry:

Loke said:
Another thing that's better in FEAR than HL2 is not only the AI, but the enemy reacts to the injuries they get when you fire upon them.
If you would shoot at a guy's leg, he would drop onto the ground just to stand up again and get all dizzy.
In HL2 the Combines doesn't seem to react when you shoot them, like if you shoot with the MP7 at a Combine he would just stand there like a statue.

Another thing that's pretty cool in FEAR as well, is when you kill an enemy, he starts to shoot some rounds with his weapon (I think this happens mostly with the sub-machinegun), just like in a movie. :)
It looks very cool in motion, especially with slow-mo turned on.

That is a great plus (I mean the AI reacting to injuries - I also like the spraying as they die bit, I've actually died from it before). I also noticed a nice touch was how if the enemies don't die from an explosion but were still close enough to feel the effects, they'll get knocked over for a bit and have to get up and right themselves again. It adds to the already great feel of the game.

Unfortunately I have to study for 2 midterms I have tomorrow and can't play much tonight :(

Hell yes! I just came back from Wal-Mart and I just got the Directors Cut of FEAR! BADASS!

Man I've been checking four stores EVERY DAY since friday and nothing. Ah well, one more day

I just preordered it and I'll be picking it up tomorrow! Joy!

The AI is extremely impressive.

They take cover, they advance when they know you're caught off slippin. they flank you; they'll find alternate routes to get to you, they'll nade you out, and they actually use teamwork.

I really love actually planning things out before I get into a firefight. The Slo-mo helps a lot. If you plan your battles out accordingly... it falls into place, like it has been scripted... so fun!

Awesome game. Played 6 hours last night. AI is far better than I have never seen before, the soldiers can kinda panic and flee back to their main group, they flank you, assault with a bigger group etc. Sometimes I almost feel sorry for killing the poor bastards, when Im running after some panicking soldier, Im aiming with my shotgun and he goes "HEEEELP!!" just before I give final shot which makes him fly over the handrail and drop 100 feet to the ground :( Also ive gotten pretty spooked a couple times, although there could be a little more of the fear part.
All in all, definately a classic already.

the AI is actually so good, I feel guilty whenever I kill those soldiers ... it's almost like killing a real human being lol

Enviroments are so bland in this game.

AI is ok, pretty 'scripted' but ok.

Physics are doom 3 style, crap.

^Ben said:

Jesus...I'm sick of all this "Aw, man the whole thing is scripted"-shit

Well what the hell do you expect? Do you actually expect to be fighting real people who think and act as if they were alive?

^Ben said:
Enviroments are so bland in this game.

Physics are doom 3 style, crap.

How is the AI scripted? From what I can tell it's the exact opposite. Try going about the same firefight in different ways and see how the AI reacts. The difference can be quite drastic.

Because the AI will look at where you are, say if you break it up into quadrants I go into quadrant 1 and the AI will be scripted to say "hmmm box i'll hide behind it"

If you watch the directors commentary they even make reference to it. The rest is piss easy a* path finding,

^Ben said:
Because the AI will look at where you are, say if you break it up into quadrants I go into quadrant 1 and the AI will be scripted to say "hmmm box i'll hide behind it"

If you watch the directors commentary they even make reference to it. The rest is piss easy a* path finding,

Well of course there's going to be some sub-level scripting like that... They have to go and find the closest cover that makes sense according to where you are and where their allies are. Wouldn't you do that if you were in a gunfight?

AmishSlayer said:
That is a great plus (I mean the AI reacting to injuries - I also like the spraying as they die bit, I've actually died from it before). I also noticed a nice touch was how if the enemies don't die from an explosion but were still close enough to feel the effects, they'll get knocked over for a bit and have to get up and right themselves again. It adds to the already great feel of the game.

Unfortunately I have to study for 2 midterms I have tomorrow and can't play much tonight :(

Man im going to die if i cant play this in like 1 min! HATE YOU!

Cukel said:
Awesome game. Played 6 hours last night. AI is far better than I have never seen before, the soldiers can kinda panic and flee back to their main group, they flank you, assault with a bigger group etc. Sometimes I almost feel sorry for killing the poor bastards, when Im running after some panicking soldier, Im aiming with my shotgun and he goes "HEEEELP!!" just before I give final shot which makes him fly over the handrail and drop 100 feet to the ground :( Also ive gotten pretty spooked a couple times, although there could be a little more of the fear part.
All in all, definately a classic already.

NO STOP PLZ NO NO NOOOOO STOP. ME NEEDS FEAR!

Well although it's a great game, unfortunately it doesn't seem to be without its problems. While playing an early part of the game, my system hard-locked and needed a manual reset to recover. Upon recovering, I went to launch the game again and was given the error message "Original disc could not be found or authenticated". Of course my original FEAR DVD was in my drive, so I ejected and reinserted it, and fortunately the game launched again. Now however I am regularly getting this error when trying to launch the game.

The bottom line of this little story is that it looks like FEAR is in need of a patch - my system is high-end, new, optimized, not overclocked and completely rock solid in all respects. I've also heard of hard locks on a lot of other systems too. Just thought it would be worth telling you all in advance to perhaps wait off until FEAR's first patch is released before buying the game. Remember, the game will still be there in a few weeks time, and if anything you'll save yourself a lot of annoyance if you buy it after the patch comes out, as well as sending the game companies the right message. Stay tuned for my full FEAR Tweak Guide shortly.

Update: I am getting more and more hard locks and errors. Vivendi Universal Games are blaming these problems on pirated copies, which is a total cop out. My DVD Edition of FEAR is 100% legitimate, and was purchased on Saturday at EB Games in Canberra, Australia (pics of my contents here). God I wish these guys would get their act together before releasing games.

Update 2: I now have no doubt these issues are the result of the infamous SecuROM copy protection system, which FEAR uses. Bravo SecuROM and bravo VU Games - another game totally ruined for legitimate purchasers which no doubt pirates can enjoy without the same problems.

Mohahah ownd!!! :D I love p2p

Gorgon said:
Mohahah ownd!!! :D I love p2p
I experience the same problems with the game complaining about no DVD in drive with Prince of Persia, probably dvd protection too. But its not really a huge annoyance, I can tolerate it.

I'm not getting those problems, but I wish it wouldnt pause for a couple of seconds when it autosaved.

The more I look at this game the crapper it starts to look, you get past the nice effects and what do you have? A grey and brown square enviroment with few low poly objects that don't interact well with each other.

^ Someone else has noticed that FEAR doesn't acutually look that great - rather drab environments and poor weapon models. It looks neat when the fighting starts, though.

I was not at all impressed with the SP demo. Now, hearing about the copy protection issues, the 10 hours of gameplay and the fact that the remaining environments are repetitive and drab means I will definitely avoid purchasing this title.

Warbie said:
^ Someone else has noticed that FEAR doesn't acutually look that great - rather drab environments and poor weapon models. It looks neat when the fighting starts, though.

the game looks like crap EXCEPT the soldier models. they're so beautiful!!!

wilka91 said:
the game looks like crap EXCEPT the soldier models. they're so beautiful!!!

You could give me this game with HL1-style gfx and I'd still love it. I still don't see why people make such a big deal out of graphics. The one plus the graphics bring in FEAR is the damage/spark/debris/blood effects. The rest is just icing on the cake. I don't think it's absolutley jaw-dropping or anything.

Bottom line : Give me some satisfying graphical effects and I'm set.

Visually, FEAR doesn't look as beautiful as Half-Life 2 (some areas in HL2 looks so damn beautiful you think you are looking at a painting). Technically, it's more impressive imo.

I'm having a blast with this game. Yeah sure, the level design is pretty repetitive, but that doesn't make me stop playing it. The atmosphere and story makes me just want more and more. And of course the horror-elements are so freakish.

--

In one part of the game you crash-land with a Blackhawk into a slum-like area, it's pretty cool.
Anyways, I was just playing in that area and you could hear this loud bang in the floor just above your head (thought it was just some kind of crumble from an explosion or something). As I moved forward a big cyborg-like mech dropped down just in front of my feet, I was almost scared to death because I didn't expect that. :LOL:

Btw, anyone know if that fat guy got away? I just wanted to kill that son of a *****.

Loke said:
Visually, FEAR doesn't look as beautiful as Half-Life 2 (some areas in HL2 looks so damn beautiful you think you are looking at a painting). Technically, it's more impressive imo.

I'm having a blast with this game. Yeah sure, the level design is pretty repetitive, but that doesn't make me stop playing it. The atmosphere and story makes me just want more and more. And of course the horror-elements are so freakish.

--

In one part of the game you crash-land with a Blackhawk into a slum-like area, it's pretty cool.
Anyways, I was just playing in that area and you could hear this loud bang in the floor just above your head (thought it was just some kind of crumble from an explosion or something). As I moved forward a big cyborg-like mech dropped down just in front of my feet, I was almost scared to death because I didn't expect that. :LOL:

Btw, anyone know if that fat guy got away? I just wanted to kill that son of a *****.

lol I read the first part of your spoiler and when I got to the like 7th word I realized I hadn't played that far :p

I know the environments feel done over and over but that's how it should be. The game is meant to mimic an action/horror movie. I dunno about you but Alma wouldn't scare me in the middle of the day out in a city or anything. It wouldn't make sense for the story to deviate into the outdoors a lot.

AmishSlayer said:
I know the environments feel done over and over but that's how it should be. The game is meant to mimic an action/horror movie. I dunno about you but Alma wouldn't scare me in the middle of the day out in a city or anything. It wouldn't make sense for the story to deviate into the outdoors a lot.

Yeah, I agree.

The first level was pretty cool though. :)

Back