F.E.A.R. Reviews thread

Unfocused said:
Haha, staticprimer, good sentence (in spoiler tags): "I always that that she was trying to do just that." :p

Yep, I try to do my best to sound semi-coherent. Apparently in my world "thought" and "that" are completely interchangable and and should be done so randomly, so as to confuse and amuse people. I hope you enjoyed my most recent and quite humorous gaffe, and I am most certain you will find another shall come in the future. Whether that future comes soon or very far I do not know, as I have little or no control of the frequency of said random varible which determines if I will will make yet another mistake. Until that day comes, I bid you adieu.

Downloaded the demo last night and had a little play. Runs smooth and looks good, can't wait to have a proper sit down with it.

How's it fighting the same three enemies the whole game? That's what really turned me off to it. I thought Half Life 2 could have used more variety!

just finished it. awesome!! one have to love this game :cheers:

Managed to get through the demo in one sitting last night, it was great! Good atmosphere, a lot of random sounds made me hastily point my gun in all sorts of directions (the stupidest one being a seagull).

And christ-on-a-bike those soldiers can take a pounding! I did find the shotgun to be the most effective demo weapon, but with that in mind, there was a gun I picked up called a..... particle.... something-or-other that I never used. :p

Some weird bits in it, like:

That kid running through the shadows, or when she appears at the top of a set of ladders as you are about to descend.

Also:

Being transported into the "corridor of blood", that was just strange.

I need to play some more though, I never utilised slow-mo or used all the weapons. I did thoroughly enjoy pinning soldiers to walls with one of the guns. :D

I'm not that impressed really. The fighting is fun, but gets samey, and the visuals are drab. Infact it's suprising how poor FEAR runs when you consider how basic it looks, especially when compared to other games that look and run far better.

It will pass the time nicely though, an 'abum filler'.

Warbie said:
It will pass the time nicely though, an 'abum filler'.
"A Bum Filler"? o_O

Aye, I want to see if we get a Quake 4 demo before I go purchasing this. Its one or the other for me.

just got this today for my bday! Havent had a chance to install it and play it yet though. will do when I get home!

I'm not going to install it till tomorrow, I don't feel like playing it at 11:42pm right now :(

duffers20 said:
just got this today for my bday! Havent had a chance to install it and play it yet though. will do when I get home!
Happy Birthday! :)

Let us know how it is mind!

Cormeh said:
Happy Birthday! :)

Let us know how it is mind!

Will do, was surprised that my sisters managed to get it, I hadn't seen it in any shops where I live, just on online stores. But its cool that I did!

Well i'm playing it right now. I finally went out and bought it. I keep playing it like doom though, checking ever corner and corridor. Of course my roommate is the biggest loser ever and stays inside all f'n day watching judge judy and charmed, so there's no time i can play the game with silence and the lights off. If i turn my sound up, he turns his sound up. I know he does it to annoy me, because we never really got along. I've already ruined his music collection and now i'm so close to breaking his TV (open it up and epoxy a magnet to the inside).

...anyway yea it's pretty cool so far, i'm playing it on hard. I wish there was more story..or maybe it was just lost in the judge judy background noise.

I'm right after the part where the security guards turn start attacking you.
How far is that into the game?

also, i'm really disappointed with the physics in this game. Sure stuff moves, but if there's a table blocking a door i can't blow it up or push it outta the way :(
Trash bags don't roll either, and i'm not impressed with the smoke effects or the way glass breaks.

xcellerate said:
Well i'm playing it right now. I finally went out and bought it. I keep playing it like doom though, checking ever corner and corridor. Of course my roommate is the biggest loser ever and stays inside all f'n day watching judge judy and charmed, so there's no time i can play the game with silence and the lights off. If i turn my sound up, he turns his sound up. I know he does it to annoy me, because we never really got along. I've already ruined his music collection and now i'm so close to breaking his TV (open it up and epoxy a magnet to the inside).

...anyway yea it's pretty cool so far, i'm playing it on hard. I wish there was more story..or maybe it was just lost in the judge judy background noise.

I'm right after the part where the security guards turn start attacking you.
How far is that into the game?

also, i'm really disappointed with the physics in this game. Sure stuff moves, but if there's a table blocking a door i can't blow it up or push it outta the way :(
Trash bags don't roll either, and i'm not impressed with the smoke effects or the way glass breaks.

Dude, you need headphones.

so i found out about the subtitles which makes it a lot better

also, i finally jumped.
at interval 07 when your in the office and you turn the cubicle and enter it, the girls is doing this ape-like mokey crawl towards you. At first i thought the little nymph things in doom3, then i shot it, then it disappeared and i realized i had a chill down my spine

got it installed and I have to say.. WOW! Dunno why but it seems to run alot better on my pc (its not great but its better, getting a 7800gt soon so that should help). I love the AI in the game. I have never experienced this before in a game and its so cool! Only a little way through, trying not to play it too much until i get my new video card so I can crank up the settings to make it look really nice and play nice a smooth.

weeee. Ok, so i just finished it. And yea, it was exactly like a movie--because i'm walking away unfulfilled :( They didn't answer all the questions, i didn't want a movie ending! I wanted some freakin info!

edit: my favorite thing was the sound of the shell casing hitting the wooden office floors...drool...

Just beat the game tonight (after about a week of chipping away at it...slowly) and what a great ending. I do agree with Loke though, best ending to ever grace a game as well. Like Half-Life, this game should be marked down as an FPS classic, great AI, graphics, superb story, what more could you ask for?. The last hour or so was greatly cinematic and left me wanting more. FEAR left things ripe for a sequel, and there *better* be a sequel. There is so much potential for the story, hopefully the sequel will have more varied environments, though. I think this is the only game that has come along that rivals HL2, and that in itself says alot.

Graphics: 10/10
Sound: 9/10
Gameplay: 10/10
Story: 6/10

End sequence was pretty cool...never had that happen to me b4......BOOM! :p

The game's really short, I've played for like, 3 hours and I've already completed 5 levels. Hope the last few levels are a little longer.

Bought the game today and im dissapointed, Quake 4 was way better. All thats good about FEAR is that the character models looks good. everything else is dull and shitty. Maps feels like some small kid made them :>

xcellerate said:
also, i finally jumped.
at interval 07 when your in the office and you turn the cubicle and enter it, the girls is doing this ape-like mokey crawl towards you. At first i thought the little nymph things in doom3, then i shot it, then it disappeared and i realized i had a chill down my spine
My girlfriend shrieked and I got goose bumps where I didn't think I had hair when that happened.

I thought the physics were okay - not like HL2, but they weren't the focus of the game like HL2. There were enough physics to give the environment a realistic feel, perhaps not enough for full immersion, but I remember knocking bottles around and they seemed pretty real. There's a piece of ceiling tile hanging by a corner, and if you knock it off, it falls pretty realistically.

Reckless said:
Graphics: 10/10
Sound: 9/10
Gameplay: 10/10
Story: 6/10

End sequence was pretty cool...never had that happen to me b4......BOOM! :p

story 6/10 ? you have got to be joking. FEAR is up there with Half life's story in terms of quality.

Zeus said:
story 6/10 ? you have got to be joking. FEAR is up there with Half life's story in terms of quality.

The story was just too derivative for me. It was told in a good enough manner for it to remain interesting, but it's the sort of story that you look back on and think "god, couldn't they have tried a bit harder?".

I'm up to Interval 04 now and i've gotta say.....

This is pretty disappointing. Storyline is nil, every fight is the same, no attempt to even edge out the tension (the game just started like "OoooOOoooOOOoo spooky", but its not) oh and its not scary at all. Just dark. Doom 3 actually scared me more by this point and Doom 3 wasn't scary.

Also the game seems to be stuttering alot on Medium settings, when the demo ran awesome on High settings. This is what i call "Battlefield 2" syndrome. No idea why it happens but it bugs the **** outta me.

Sparta said:
I'm up to Interval 04 now and i've gotta say.....

This is pretty disappointing. Storyline is nil, every fight is the same, no attempt to even edge out the tension (the game just started like "OoooOOoooOOOoo spooky", but its not) oh and its not scary at all. Just dark. Doom 3 actually scared me more by this point and Doom 3 wasn't scary.

Also the game seems to be stuttering alot on Medium settings, when the demo ran awesome on High settings. This is what i call "Battlefield 2" syndrome. No idea why it happens but it bugs the **** outta me.

You may have the "EAX problem". Just enable/disable EAX 2.0 in the options (don't remember which but just do the opposite and see if it helps :p)

Garfield_ said:
Bought the game today and im dissapointed, Quake 4 was way better. All thats good about FEAR is that the character models looks good. everything else is dull and shitty. Maps feels like some small kid made them :>

Quake 4 was better? Hold the phone

Finished the game last night, and i'm glad to say that it got much better (despite i was still fighting the same enemies with the same weapons).

My main disappointments about the game are the storyline, which was surprisingly predictable and vague for a Monolith game, and the scary parts weren't actually scary except for one or two parts.

Like the phone ringing and then seeing Alma crawl at you really fast :| Eep. And the last level with Alma, that was creepy.

Great game though, think i might go play it again. Also, i found it surprisingly easy even on Hard. I only died on a few occassions. Anyway i think i'm gonna go play it again. Great game though. I give it about 9.0/10

Great game if a bit short. Funny when playing with physics turned down to minimum.

But how much time did they spend optomizing it? If I turn the graphics up any slight bit my FPS plumments.

Back