F.E.A.R. Reviews thread

Am I the only one who has noticed the "HARM" easter egg in FEAR?

Holy shit
That entire ending sequence was FANTASTIC
But one question
What were those ghouls supposed to be? Just ghosts from beyond?

IonizeMyAtoms said:
Holy shit
That entire ending sequence was FANTASTIC
But one question
What were those ghouls supposed to be? Just ghosts from beyond?

I'm guessing you mean those things that pop out of no where and attacks in groups. I believe those are Alma's psychic attacks, those are what killed everyone else and only you can see them.

Just completed it and althought it was fairly short, i can truthfully say its been my most enjoyable SP game this year. The suspence is so great at time i had to pause it at times :D , i had never felt like this about a game before. The atmosphere was fantastic and the gameplay was fantastic, although if you played the game over it would be quite repetative. i had it on max difficulty and boy were some bits hard, unlike most games are on hard, For example Hl2. The eye candy was great and the effects were great, dynamic lighting was to dye for as was the fire effects. And the slo-mo was gorgeous, watching their heads fly off in slo-mo never got old. The AI was fantastic, with their flanking tactics and organised communication, and the way they shit themselves on their own, HL2 should have had AI at this level, would have made it alot better. Now im just blabbing on, it was fantastic. I think i just creamed my pants :D.

Pie

Somefool said:
I'm guessing you mean those things that pop out of no where and attacks in groups. I believe those are Alma's psychic attacks, those are what killed everyone else and only you can see them.
Oh yeah! That makes a lot of sense, good call

Ev!lP!e said:
Just completed it and althought it was fairly short, i can truthfully say its been my most enjoyable SP game this year. The suspence is so great at time i had to pause it at times :D , i had never felt like this about a game before. The atmosphere was fantastic and the gameplay was fantastic, although if you played the game over it would be quite repetative. i had it on max difficulty and boy were some bits hard, unlike most games are on hard, For example Hl2. The eye candy was great and the effects were great, dynamic lighting was to dye for as was the fire effects. And the slo-mo was gorgeous, watching their heads fly off in slo-mo never got old. The AI was fantastic, with their flanking tactics and organised communication, and the way they shit themselves on their own, HL2 should have had AI at this level, would have made it alot better. Now im just blabbing on, it was fantastic. I think i just creamed my pants :D.

Pie
Agree completely, I'm playing through it again but with cheats, it's so much fun to take your time in slomo with nothing but dual pistols

I have to wait until my little brother gets it from my Uncle overseas :( Whose probably forgotten to get it for his birthday :(. Bah

wow, just finished it, that game is freaking awesome to the max, I didn;t even care that there were on;y 4 repetitive environments, it just sets up the tension so well - i love the long stretches with noone around - and that AI is so beast
Make sure you stick around all the way through the credits, though, there's a great little bit after them

Icarusintel said:
where might it be?

It's on a huge sign that says:
Heat
Airconditioning
R---
M---

Can't remember the last words, but it's there... The very first level

Very, very cool... but the only thing that got under my skin were the 'narly ghoul -type things at the end of interval eleven. The noise they make when they come out ****s me up :O

EDIT: Just watched through the credits; niiiiice :D

just finished it too, the ending was very good, my mouth was wide open in some of those scenes, although initiatially i thought it was going all metal gear solid 1 with
fettel being your brother or did i miss something? and the phonecall at the end reminded me of mgs:)

great game, gona play through it again...

Game scared the living hell out of me. Haven't finished playing through, but sweet Jesus, some parts almost made me shriek like a pre-pubescent schoolgirl.

jimbo118 said:
just finished it too, the ending was very good, my mouth was wide open in some of those scenes, although initiatially i thought it was going all metal gear solid 1 with
fettel being your brother or did i miss something? and the phonecall at the end reminded me of mgs:)

great game, gona play through it again...
Yepp, Fettel is your brother, and you're both Alma's children. Alma was created artificially using the old guy's genes, and you and Fettel were artificially inseminated into Alma while she was in an induced coma
One of my favourite things to do is to put it in slomo, toss a grenade, and shoot it midair to take out a whole group of soldiers. Funnn

Just beat it one question

whatever happened to jenkowski or w/e his name was? He disappeared then I never saw him again except I think I saw his apparition walking..

oh and BTW the ending was really good

im not to far into the game but from what i have played it is an amazing game.. i really enjoy it and cant wait to see the ending

I just finished the game now, the ending is so badass. I love that big good ol' American explosion! Lol. Ending was quite 'movie-like' as well.

So, what was the deal with Alma anyways? I didn't quite catch the whole story. So you and Fettel are brothers. Who was "Wade"? Was that the last name of that one bitch that kept running away looking for her daddy? So, Fettel was really looking for Alma? Because something when they reach other what happens?

Just finished it literally minutes ago and had to chip in my 2 cents.

Loved it! No major complaints in my book.

And people thought DOOM3 was scary? Monolith did it right...true scares are not simply things jumping out of closets or loud noises. Suspense builds the best scares; anticipation. When your mind takes over your senses and creates it's own fear around every corner...

Hopefully we'll see a FEAR II sometime soon!

Someone said:
Just finished it literally minutes ago and had to chip in my 2 cents.

Loved it! No major complaints in my book.

And people thought DOOM3 was scary? Monolith did it right...true scares are not simply things jumping out of closets or loud noises. Suspense builds the best scares; anticipation. When your mind takes over your senses and creates it's own fear around every corner...

Hopefully we'll see a FEAR II sometime soon!

Honestly though, the game just didnt get scary when we progress through like 7 and up.

I mean there just weren't any more tricks where she pops out of nowhere when we climb down a ladder or an illusion of her crawling through a tiny vent, NONE after like the first few chapters or whatever.

ailevation said:
Honestly though, the game just didnt get scary when we progress through like 7 and up.

I mean there just weren't any more tricks where she pops out of nowhere when we climb down a ladder or an illusion of her crawling through a tiny vent, NONE after like the first few chapters or whatever.
the scariest parts were when nothing happened at all, and you were just waiting, checking every corner... that was damn nerve-wracking

Icarusintel said:
the scariest parts were when nothing happened at all, and you were just waiting, checking every corner... that was damn nerve-wracking

Oh yeah, I was constantly paranoid too though. Because I was thinking if there would be some scary shit, or if there would be soldiers I might run into. I would peek around corners, when I hear a strange sound I would bust a CS style jump around a corner and anticipate shooting.

Scare wise, how does the game compare to System Shock 2?

Sparta said:
Scare wise, how does the game compare to System Shock 2?

I got a lot more freaked out by FEAR, but mainly because it's so scripted (in comparison to SS2, which doesn't rely heavily on pre-scripted events to scare you). Because the scares are pre-set, they can do a lot more to mess with your head. ;)

But if they're scripted then they are only scary the first few times. Unlike SS2 which is just constantly terrifying

the story has been on my mind a bit, at the end you learn alma is your mother and you start to see an older naked alma but why was a little alma seen throughout the game? maybe i missed that or was it just for the scare factor, little girls being scary and all :|, or was it to represent something? was she abducted at 8 years old or something?then put into a forced coma to later have 2 sons?

also alma's name is alma wade on the document you see at the end? is she the daughter of wade? and is alice her sister?:hmph: oh yeah why exactly did fettel kill alice? coz he likes to eat people?

I think Alma was a child just to throw us off. Alma was made using Wade's genes so she was kind of his daughter, which makes him your grandpa, which makes Alice your aunt and Fettel your brother

god , just beated that game, the ending was awesome, really loved it.
Could someone explain the story ? , i didnt really catch much of it

Just completed it, a very good game with a great story.

I didn't think it was too short.

jimbo118 said:
the story has been on my mind a bit, at the end you learn alma is your mother and you start to see an older naked alma but why was a little alma seen throughout the game? maybe i missed that or was it just for the scare factor, little girls being scary and all :|, or was it to represent something? was she abducted at 8 years old or something?then put into a forced coma to later have 2 sons?

also alma's name is alma wade on the document you see at the end? is she the daughter of wade? and is alice her sister?:hmph: oh yeah why exactly did fettel kill alice? coz he likes to eat people?

From what I gathered, Alma was created from Harlan Wade's genes so she's kind of his daughter. Alma was put into the Origin program at age 8 - the Alma we see creeping us out the entire game. At age 15 she was put into a coma and she gave birth to us (she came out of the coma during birth and screamed and stuff). Age 15 Alma is what we were seeing at the end I think. I think Fettel killed Alice because he wanted to hurt her and Harlan because of what they did to Alma. Alma obviously has a lot of rage for like everybody and wanted to kill Harlan.

I don't think Alice was alive when the Origin Project started so she couldn't have had any part in it, I mean in the game the Player Character must be in his 20's so we can gather that at least 28 years have passed since origin had begun. If Alice had anything to do with Origin she'd of had to be at least 48 years old, she doesn't look that old in the game. Fettel probably killed Alice to get at Harlan or out of jelousy since Alice wasn't put through the same things.

AmishSlayer said:
From what I gathered, Alma was created from Harlan Wade's genes so she's kind of his daughter. Alma was put into the Origin program at age 8 - the Alma we see creeping us out the entire game. At age 15 she was put into a coma and she gave birth to us (she came out of the coma during birth and screamed and stuff). Age 15 Alma is what we were seeing at the end I think. I think Fettel killed Alice because he wanted to hurt her and Harlan because of what they did to Alma. Alma obviously has a lot of rage for like everybody and wanted to kill Harlan.

yeah im playing it again and i guess
he just killed her coz he killed everyone to do with the project etc, on 1 computer you d/l info from your commander(forget his name) tells you about all the people fettel has killed(basically everyone on the phone messages etc) and says fettel ''must be working his way up the food chain'', this was on the way to save alice, but was alice really knowing of the real project ie. alma etc, i presume not, only harlan, that chick jennifer, bishop and others knew right? so i guess she was just unlucky?

btw the death of fetel was handled so cool, back in the cell etc, that was awesome.

yeah last question, why exactly does alma try and kill you in the end? if she touches you you die but why does she want to kill you if you're her son?

jimbo118 said:
yeah im playing it again and i guess
he just killed her coz he killed everyone to do with the project etc, on 1 computer you d/l info from your commander(forget his name) tells you about all the people fettel has killed(basically everyone on the phone messages etc) and says fettel ''must be working his way up the food chain'', this was on the way to save alice, but was alice really knowing of the real project ie. alma etc, i presume not, only harlan, that chick jennifer, bishop and others knew right? so i guess she was just unlucky?

btw the death of fetel was handled so cool, back in the cell etc, that was awesome.

yeah last question, why exactly does alma try and kill you in the end? if she touches you you die but why does she want to kill you if you're her son?

Well considering the last words she says concerning you in the flashback were "give him back!" I always that that she was trying to do just that. She wanted you to join her, which would entail death. Her trying to kill you was not out of hatred, but out of obsessive love.

I don't want to feel left out so I put up a spoiler tag just like everyone else!

I'm getting this game today... Yay!

mortiz said:
...Really?

Yes, really.

Oooo I bought the game and I'm in the middle of Interval 2 or 3... can't remember... Pretty fun so far... I jumped a few times especially when Paxton was behind a corner and knocked you out with a 2x4... That was a good one lol

Haha, staticprimer, good sentence (in spoiler tags): "I always that that she was trying to do just that." :p

One word.. Hell no many words! Man this game was awsome! I just beat it and I'm still all worked up. I just wish I had started the game with the hardest level. I took the second hardest and the game was still pretty easy. But yea F.E.A.R. = GOTY (at least for now :p ).

Back