Games that disappointed you?

pvtbones

Spy
Reaction score
What games have disappointed you? Whether it was because of a crappy publisher, too much hype/promises, or both? I have to admit I'm some times mystified at how games can break every promise they made and release something that doesn't deserve being called a crap.

The most current disappointment of mine would have to be Black and White 2, so much hype and with the publisher EA I should have'd known better, I didn't look at many reviews and didn't check their forums, something I usually do before I buy a game (so I'm somewhat to blame for it).

I never played the orginal Black and White, heard alot of good things about it but it was before I really got into pc gaming. To put it bluntly this game broke practically all it's promises. AI? where? the enemy is pathetic. it's just a pile of scripts for each map, and bad ones at that, they won't ever attack (well maybe once or twice in the later maps) all they do is wait outside your gates (and no it's not the smart kind of waiting outside of your gates, they only send 1 platoon of 20 men at a time and wait for them to be killed before they spawn another one and repeat).

The creature AI is decent but it lacks in most senses of the word personality. in BnW the community complain that the creature was to hard to control (or something to that effect) so from one extreme they went to the other, he's nothing more than a tool with some sliders than you slap and pet to create the perfect automaton.

Plot? again what plot? I'll sum it up for you, BANG! you exist because some chick prayed for a god to come save them from the advancing aztec hordes. so there you are, all existing and stuff as you hurtle through space towards earth and you find a nice interactive movie where you save some greek people, make some haybails roll over some aztecs (this is the only time in the game where traps exist) and after you saved 10 the aztec monkey stays toss some volcanoe mircles and it's time to make like the french. Thats basically it, the rest of the game is some levels that are just barely connect to the story line, first you go kick norse's ass (an extemely annoying feature that in introduced in this level is the ability to heard the enemy leader's [thats right leader, not god] thoughts, now if only he said something of worth and only once) then you kick the first japanese brother's ass, then the other japanese brother's ass and then their ass together, and then finally the aztec after you take out some worthless outpost of theirs. Now compare the complexity of the former plot to this: http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/black-white-2/526423p1.html

bugs, this game has a fair few unique ones, like changing your creature from what it was to oh say a untrained lion or the infant version of it'self (which is also untrained). I've been lucky so far and haven't experience any, yet.

Military: yes you can create large armies... of swords, archers, and catapaults thats it, no ability to research new tech (unless you count using tribute to buy the buildings as researching new techs) and more often then not they are useless, my lion was better able to take out enemy platoons than the army was (did help the fact that the creatures attacks hurt everyone, friend or foe) the only thing I used them for was capturing enemy settlements (I played an evil god if you didn't notice).

You had the choice of 4 creatures, the lion, wolf, gorilla, and the cow (5 if you bought the CE edition which had the tiger unlocker, which EA left on their FTP meaning anyone can now get the tiger) now aside from different models they are all the same, just a bunch of clay for you to mold into the perfect tool, no hint of personality (since was does a carnivore like the wolf, lion, or tiger eat grain?!), but to be fair the creature fights are kick ass to watch.

Gametypes: theres just singleplayer, multiplayer was planned (mr Molyneux himself said there was going to be MP) now I don't perticularly mind it not being there as I can't really seeing it working well, but not having skirmish? thats a damned mortal sin in my books. I guess it ties in with the lack of any inteligence. so basically all you can do is play the rather poor single player over and over (you get to keep your creature and all the buildings you bought as a bonus)

The devs really need to talk to the community, I'm a community kind of guy thats why I like valve they know how to talk to the customers, it's almost a given in this age that the community and the devs need to work together and talk, this doesn't really happen, theres a surpise thats was supposed to come out month or two ago, no word from the devs why (which is a reaccuring theme) what this surpise is, no one knows but alot is riding on it, it could be anything from a new building, new spells,MP, skirmish, maybe the rest of the game. The mod tools as also supposed to be coming out soon but I have little faith they will actually come out or be of any worth.

In conclusion, this game needs alot of work from the devs before I would recommend it to anyone and and even more if they expect me to shell out for any future sequals/expansions and theres alot of things I didn't include in this little review A lot longer than I expected it to be, sorry for the rant.

*EDIT*

forgot to say something nice about it. The graphics are really really nice (especially on the newer cards) and the creatures are well animated along with your consciences which can be very funny at times.

It would be too easy to say Invisible War, which was just a turd in a box. So instead I'll say Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy.

This game starts out as an intense crime thriller with a major twist, you are the killer. Your first action is to clean up a crime scene and escape before the cops arrive. God damn!

Unfortunately it all goes down hill from there. The annoying and rather pointless girlfriend of one of the cops. The rediculous superhuman abilities ripped straight from the matrix. The female protagonist investigating the case falling in love with you, despite only having known you for a few hours and being pretty certain that you are dead.

There are good bits too but the overall plot is so convoluted and just plain rediculous that it ruins what promised to be a truely new and exciting game.

Killzone was crap; I bought it, played it once, and it's sat on my shelf ever since. >_> Invisible War I've grown to appreciate since it came out, but it still has it's fair share of problems.

Snake Eater.
It's by no means a bad game, in all probability it's a great game, seeing it's reviews and the great reaction by the fans, it's just not my taste, same with civilazation and world of warcraft.

Killzone was a major letdown. It was clunky, had a crappy story, had dull, repetitive gameplay and its only redeeming feature was a couple of ok levels.

Pariah however, has to be my biggest disappointment. It had so much going for it; an awesome premise, a useful grenade launcher :)P) and the screens showed so much promise. The game flopped left right and centre, and holds a place as one of the worst FPS's of this generation.

DeusExMachinia said:
Half-Life 2.
Me too, sort of. Was fun, but more becuase of the omg I'm playing HL2 factor than anything else.

Oh Also CS:S and DOD:S

Star Wars: Empire at War, no real strat to it, just get a bunch of tanks and infantry and rush, or get a bunch of big starships and rush

Halo 2, it was Halo 1 with multiplayer, not that fun

Battlefield 2, it seemed so much more fun in the demo, but once I played a few games online (which didn't happen often because I crashed or lagged 90% of the time) it was really boring

Brothers in Arms, fire and manuever, booooring

Day of Defeat: Source, CS with nazi's, not fun

Star Wars: Battlefront, the first one is so boring, who wants to play a foot soldier? The 2nd one is much better however (Mostly because of the heroes)

Black looks like it will be a disappointment

Civilisation 4 - Isn't even as good as 3.

Rome: Total War - Just Shogun with 3D graphics.

X3: Reunion - Performs extremely badly even though my PC is good, almost unplayable because of it. Somehow the GUI is actually worse than X2's which was horrible. They should just steal Eve Online's GUI.

DeusExMachinia said:
Half-Life 2.

I can't decide which HL is better 1 or 2...2 was an amazing game though IMO...

Deus ex invisible war was a dissapointment. It was 100% a letdown, especially after the brilliance of DX1. Also I feel thief 3 could have been better, though I never played the first 2.

Matrix path of noe, and all the matrix games

OWN3D!!

Halo 2 was a pretty big disappointment too. Multiplayer is fun as hell, but the SP wasn't as epic as I thought'd it be.

Zeus said:
I can't decide which HL is better 1 or 2...2 was an amazing game though IMO...

Half-life 2, I'd say. Not much by much, but overall. HL2 for me, is singlehandidly one of the best games ever made.

I thought F.E.A.R. was a big disappointment, personally.

My dissapointed game list:

Empire Earth

- Crap graphics and really crap interface.
Age of Empires 2
- I hate population limits and was nothing new.
Cossacks 2
- Origonal Cossacks rocked, they made this far too realistic and repetative.
Doom 3
- Loads of hype, wasn't as good as I expected and 4 player max multiplayer.
Quake 4
- Graphics seem wierd, might be my PC but still, just no different from any other games like Doom 3.
Rome Total War
- Not much feel to it, fighting was slow and dull.
Metal Gear Solid 2
- Ending SUCKED, had to fight like 10 mech-warrior things. Way too much, lost it for me.
Halo 1/2
- No idea what the hype was about these???
Trespasser
- Cool, fighting dinosaurs. Shame about the bugs, T-Rexes glitching through hills and a broken wrist physics. ARGH.

DX: IW - They took the oportunity to make the sequel to one of the best games ever (in my opinion) and instead gave us something horrificly disapointing to the last. :|

Doom 3 - Loads of hype, just was Not fun. Was waaay too senseless and repetitive. A complete let down, cant believe I wasted money!

Gangsters 2 - Magic of the first game disapeared. D:

Day of Defeat: Source - They changed quite alot, it shows. Its mindless and repetitive. And just plain annoying at times. ;(

EDIT: Oh and ALL of the last god knows how many Medal of Honor games. Such a pitty as well....

DoD: Source.(Changed way too much...)
Half-Life 2.(So much promised, so little delivered...)
GTA: San Andreas.(Incredibly annoying voice acting, repetitive missions, shit story.)

marksmanHL2 :) said:
Oh and ALL of the last god knows how many Medal of Honor games. Such a pitty as well....
stupid EA sucking every game that they ever made dry D;

MoH would have been a good one or two games, but eleven or twelve...

Halo, repetitive and lacking variety. It was also in 1st person. Being in 1st person was not necessarily a bad thing, but watching the E3 vid a year before it came out was more interesting as it was believed that that you would play as Master Chief in 3rd person, and you would get to play with that sword. BTW, I didn't realise that it was originally intended to be an RTS :eek:

I felt that Master Chief's original robotic voice belonged in the game. The reason being as you had a hint that he was indeed a cyborg, and yet he had a a touch of philosophical-esque in his voice. Also touching on the fact that the title Halo indicated that this cyborg was going to be some sort of Messiah

Perfect Dark Zero - This could have been the best console shooter of this generation. But instead, Rare went and twisted the story into something so bad that it defies description. There are fewer weapons with less personality, boring multiplayer levels, on-a-rail singleplayer, terrible voice-acting, a stroke-inducing damage model, poor gametypes, laughable bots, and a fairly terrible menu set. At least the guys that made Goldeneye and Perfect Dark memorable are still making games. Just not at Rare.

doom 3
Brothers in arms:rth30-man this one sucked so much...
prince of persia:warrior within-just the whole change of style to emo angst, meh...

i guess so. i mean the story line was horrible, the graphics completely blew, and the game play was the same thing over and over. run to another grey room and kill the same exact enemies.

was it even scary????

Fahrenheit
Star Wars: Empire at War ... everything is so repetetive

Those two are ones that I actually had high hopes for, especially since the demo for both games were very entertaining. Fahrenheit didn't outright bomb but towards the end my heart sank at how ridiculous the game turned into. :(

Sheikah42 said:
i guess so. i mean the story line was horrible, the graphics completely blew, and the game play was the same thing over and over. run to another grey room and kill the same exact enemies.

was it even scary????

I wasn't so worried about the little girl, I was with the invisible enemies though

MoH: European Assault was a pretty damn good game. Hard too.
And Fahrenheit (Or Indigo Prophecy as we know it here) was excellent until the end where it got a little too....metaphysical for my tastes.

HL2 - Weapons were boring and lacking - Combat was terribly easy and simple - Story was weak and it lacked the immersive feel of HL1 - Physics felt like a gimmick after like 30 min (I think physics in games are overrated anyways).

Halo 2 - Cop out on the SP storyline and MP is a joke. Take Halo 1 MP, subtract everything that made it a skill game and voila

Doom 3 - No AI on enemies makes for the same fight over and over. Wait until they get close and blast them with a shotgun shell to the face...dead. Scares were predictable

Fahrenheit - Story went too "Matrix" at the end

Back