Half-Life 2 Theory based off information from Half-Life 1

Seraphim said:
Precisely. Not only can you not kill him, but I'm sure not an Alien or any other of the hazards in Black Mesa can. Providing that he is a biomech, it's reasonable to assume tons of money was funneled into him. In contrast, the Combine soldiers were probably made cheaply. For a comparison, if you're a fan of the Terminator movies, it's sort of like the T-X (Female) and the T-800 (Schwartzenegger). More effort was put into making the T-X, since there would only be a few. The T-800s were stock battle models, meant to just be grunt troopers. The T-800 didn't have anything particularly special, but the T-X was stocked with all kinds of internal weaponry, nanomachines, all kinds of special armor, etc... which is what happens when one model gets a ton of funding and the others are made cheaply.

Furthermore, an advantage to a Combine soldier is their controllability (well, look how that turned out for the US Government!) They would never ask questions, etc. I assume they broke away from the US Government, though. We'll have to see in HL2.

Alright, what the hell is up with you and robots? The G-Man isnt a robot, he is a human. He is basically a mock up of the X-Files cigarette man.

If the G-Man were a robot then he wouldnt have the lisp.

As for him appearing at different places in the game, it doesnt have to imply transporting himself interdimensionally to different places.

The Combine doesnt have to be human, it doesnt have to be cyborgs. The Combine could be a coalition of multiple races that have combined forces.

The thing that I can see happening is that earth took over Xen and then some alien coalition came in and took Xen and now trying to take earth. From what I've seen and heard, City 17 sounds more like an concentration camp rather than an actual city.

Well, on the subject of the G-Man teleporting himself around:

There are some cases in which you see him walk into a dead-end that shortly-afterwards later becomes accessable to you.

In OP4, he disappears from the control room in the toxic gunge + electrical discharges area far too quickly for him to have taken the elevator out of there.

Also in OP4, he actually walks into a portal, IIRC, inside the top of the tower at the dam.

And at the end of Half Life, he demonstrates the ability to teleport himself and Gordon all over the joint...

Lanthanide said:
The xen slaves are slaves (woah!), working in the supposed factory in the Interloper level (I finished HL 7 times, ok?), so the Xen race seems to be pretty advanced technologically. Also we can see in the new E3 video that there is a slave working with Dr Kleiner on something. What does this have to do with anything? Beats me, someone else can come up with an idea, I'm just laying out the facts.

I suspect the G-Man was helping to let in Xen aliens to earth during the Black Mesa incident, if the Xens knew about it they would mark him as an ally. In the end of Half Life you are given a choice, to work for him or die.

Half Life 2 assumes you chose to work for him and still working for him, since you are working for him some of the Xen aliens may also count you as an ally, same for Dr. Eliv (not Dr. Kliner) since he is also your ally.

In the beginning when you have to find youre hev suit, to go through a hallway and see the G-Man talking to one of the scientists behind a window. If you "cheat" to get a crowbar or some other weapon, you can break open the glass and hit the G-Man :naughty:. When you hit him, it sounds like youre hitting metal.

well we cannot know why the alien slaves joined us but fact is that they did and thats all we need to know !

Im going to try to expand on the idea of Lanthanide's 10 yr stasis idea.

I believe that there is a good chance this could be true considering
http://www.planethalflife.com/screenshotblueshift.asp?src=/blueshift/walkthrough/images/bs7a08.jpg

Where are these soldiers taking Mr. Freeman anyway? Since there is an apparent tie between the G-Man and the US Army there is a possibility of some of the stranded soldiers fidnign a transporter, operating it, and getting to freeman. Highly unlikely but always a possibility.

This could also be an alternate path in Blue Shift where Freeman never ran through that portal to kill the Nihilanth, and was caught by the soldiers. But the time difference between the soldiers pulling out, Calhoun escaping, and Adrian Shephard's finding of Gordon Freeman is just too strange. Can anyone explain this picture?

The soldiers are carrying Gordon to a trash compactor where he will wake up without weapons, climb up the boxes and escape via the vent where he will also find a crowbar.
It's from Half-life and is shown through the view of the very first Barney you ever see in Half-life in the wonderful expansion pack Blue Shift.

AJ Rimmer said:
The soldiers are carrying Gordon to a trash compactor where he will wake up without weapons, climb up the boxes and escape via the vent where he will also find a crowbar.
It's from Half-life and is shown through the view of the very first Barney you ever see in Half-life in the wonderful expansion pack Blue Shift.

What? That wasnt at the end of Blue SHift. Barney was just getting tped around the research facility, Xen once, and then back to the exit, and hops into an SUV.

When Calhoun get's tped out of there he get stuck in a loop and sees a scene from Gordon's adventure in BMRF, namely the part where he is captured by the marines.
The timelines from HL, OpFor and BS are pretty hard to figure out.

AJ Rimmer said:
When Calhoun get's tped out of there he get stuck in a loop and sees a scene from Gordon's adventure in BMRF, namely the part where he is captured by the marines.
The timelines from HL, OpFor and BS are pretty hard to figure out.

Was that a scenario where he defeated the Nihilanth? Or was it alternate where he did nothing at all.

Xeni said:
Was that a scenario where he defeated the Nihilanth? Or was it alternate where he did nothing at all.
It was the same scenario as in Half-life where Freeman defeated Nihilianth. There hasn't been a scenario where he didn't.

AJ Rimmer said:
It was the same scenario as in Half-life where Freeman defeated Nihilianth. There hasn't been a scenario where he didn't.
Sure there were, all those scenarios where he died, or failed to make use of Black Mesa personnel etc.... :p

Eejit said:
Sure there were, all those scenarios where he died, or failed to make use of Black Mesa personnel etc.... :p
Yeah, well in that case there is also a scenario in which the entire world suddenly destabilised and the everyday sight of the BMRF went blue with white text saying that there had been an error#4473929

AJ Rimmer said:
Yeah, well in that case there is also a scenario in which the entire world suddenly destabilised and the everyday sight of the BMRF went blue with white text saying that there had been an error#4473929
Hey, that happened in my game too. Think it's an easter egg?

No... that's just stupid. It's obvious it was a big part i gmans plan to make gordon work for him. I mean, why do you think the expansion pack is called Opposing force ("clearly" referring to Linux) And "Blue" shift? Its painfully obvious that the gman is just an idustrial spy for Microsoft! Gordon is sent to City 17 to get his hands on the Beta version of Windows 2012 which has been stolen from Microsoft by the Combines! Its all there for you to see! all the clues!

Hmmm... but does that mean the computer you can 'use' a few times until it produces a BLUE screen in OpFor is an easter egg, or does it have more significance?

Eejit said:
Hmmm... but does that mean the computer you can 'use' a few times until it produces a BLUE screen in OpFor is an easter egg, or does it have more significance?
It ABSOLUTELY significant, its the most important thing in the game, it indicates that the combine went back in time and stole the code for Windows XP! Isn't that obvious?

BRAVO! BRAVO! I am impressed. What I must say about valve is, GENIOUS, PURE GENIOUS. They created a game that had a mystery to it, and not telling you everything like all the other games. Keep you guessing and anticipating to know the truth.. An exciting plot. Very impressive. I must say if this were made a movie trilogy, I would buy each one. This is exceptionary work. Bravo.

Seraphim said:
Well, here's my theory from Half-Life 1 and how it leads into Half-Life 2. First, though, the basic plotlines of HL1, Opposing Force and Blue Shift should be considered. Anything important is marked in bold

So what do you guys think?
well... I agree with your story about HL1 but we cant say nothing about HL2. And if the G-man was superhuman or a solider as you say, I doubt he would be going around and posing as a lawyer. Otherwise, excellent post dude!

i think that in HL 10 or something (in the last HL) you would have to face GMan as the end boss :)

Yeah and youd kill him with his own briefcase.

I wonder he will still have a gun and an ID card the size of a coffee table in his briefcase in hl2?

Brian Damage said:
Graphics cards can handle OpenGL and DirectX (The 3D portion of which is called Direct3D)... The API translates instructions between the program using it, and the graphics card, via the card's drivers.

Software mode is probably pretty different, maybe even different for each game which uses it (I dunno). Are there any recent High-End 3D games which have a software mode?

ut2004 does :afro:

What an utterly funky fact. Deserving of the awarded Afro Smiley...

How well does it work?

my 2 cents

omg... it takes so much time to read 10 pages... anyway.. I've got some ideas as well

- Combine Soldiers: does any1 know the film "dune"?! the emperators guard has vests pretty similar to the combines. I think they are just lobotomized humans who have to obey at any costs. and this orange stuff... in dune this stuff is green and its kind of a drug and the soldiers die if their face isn't covered with it.

- the strider video has something interesting beside the striders. behind gordon, the barricades move. so what if this thing is also a robotic machine, just like the strider?!
http://www.half-life2.com/conceptart6.html

- the 10y gap/ havy military equipment on xen: in HL1 gordon is part of an actul experiment, but he has no clue whats the actual technical level. however u never see a portal which is huge enough to transport a tank. so I think it does not make sense to discuss the teleporting thing itself (because it is a fact in the game), we should think about the ten years.... (because I'm more into eber's theory that gordon travels 10y into the future)

- the gman is a hermaphrodite. thats been confirmed officially.. :bounce:

Well, about the moving walls: The general consensus is that they are connected to the Citadel at the center of the city, and are slowly moving outwards, "eating" buildings as they go...

And what's that about the G-Man?

moving barricades ? well i think its just a wall to protect the citadel ,and yea they can put it up or down .

I'm still sure Gordon's been in stasis. G-man and his... employers have a lot of technology ut time travel? Nah.

lol i like my idea of gordon travelled directly into the future (a random timetravel) !!!
but maybe he travveled just 5 years into the future then the g-man catched him ,offered to work for him and put gordon into stasis until hl2!!
heh what do you say now :naughty:

Whatever the truth is, I think that were all going to be surprised. I mean, there are way too many loose ends and other possibilities to every theory someone has made. I'm sure that someone is close though. This theory is actually pretty good. Who knows? maybe at the middle of the game someone will pull off a Combine mask and it will be the G-Man! lol :)

I wish I was the G-man. I could time travel to the release date of HL2....

Ol'Master said:
I wish I was the G-man. I could time travel to the release date of HL2....
I don't think he has time travel ability.
But I wonder, if you will meet G-man in the game and if you do, how? Will it always be like the beginning of the E3 2004 vid or will he be a character like any other npc, like in the end of the original HL?

he will stalk you again, checking things are going well...hopefully.

Lanthanide said:
5. If you accept the g-man's offer, he says "I will see you up ahead" - we know that HL2 starts in a train ride, it seems plausible to me to suggest that the 10 year gap occur before both train rides, rather than in between them (I guess if Gordon were unconscious for 10 years he wouldn't be able to tell the difference though).

A thought struck me, after the Gman talks to u, and it all goes black. I THINK, this is the 10 year period. I remember watching the E3 videos, the G-Man says "Rise and shine Mr.Freeman, rise and shine" after that he says something about "sleeping on the job, and no one deserves more than a rest"

So during the blackout (10 year period), could gorden have put to sleep (or perhaps a coma?) like the G-man said?

Back