Half-Life 2 WILL be available on the 30th (or my mother's a "headcrab")

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I also think that maybe Valve is paying off certian larger businesses, Amazon.com, etc.. to print a confusion of dates, when these companys come to Valve for a date."

Well, Valve has no interest with market places, that's Vivendi's job, they are the publisher. If you are all wondering why places like EBgames and GameStop have been receiving late, erroneous dates was more than likely due to Vivendi's part. Vivendi knew the retail game was going to be delayed, they just didn't know when, just holiday 2003. This explains the range of dates from Oct to even early Feb. ;)

arg, give up !

quit reading between the lines to find the information you want, and READ THE LINES THEMSELVES ! there is no magical trick to try and make people think its delayed, then surprise them with a steam release. the game is delayed. that's it. you cant just start making things up, then try to force your arguments to fit in between the lines of what was said. if that was logical thinkin, then anyone could read between the lines of anything and just make up whatever the hell they want.

i mean, you notice how the email didnt mention anything about HUMANS not working on the project. obviously this means that valve are actually aliens who operate on a lunar calendar, which when you translate to terran time frame then holiday season actually means sept 30th on steam . OMG !!

please ...

Jesus Christ just give it up! Accept the fact its delayed already! It WILL NOT COME ON 9/30 ON STEAM!!! Just give it up already.

Of you are right that is awesome!!! I can start downloading the file on the 30th and with my 54k connection be playing hl2 in a mere 5 months or so. Sweet! And that might only be about 4 months after it is released at retail if there is the delay. I am so stoked!

delay

you all bonkers man some of the funniest things ive read in ages all of u keep it :cheese: lol

Something you may wish to consider, (though you don't have to like it), They will be releasing it IN TIME for Christmas. So think of November. The day after Thanks Giving is the bussiest American Shopping day of the year.

-Incomitatum

:monkee: :monkee: :monkee:

if they dont have enough bandwith for cs 1.6 via steam, then whats gonna happen if they release HL2 via steam?

Originally posted by ferd
if they dont have enough bandwith for cs 1.6 via steam, then whats gonna happen if they release HL2 via steam?

Probably one of the reasons it was delayed.

Originally posted by ilove64
I am not in denial that the retail version has been delayed; it seemed obvious from the lack of advertising and retail stores knowing nothing about HL2. However, no one has said anything about Steam, and Doug was specific that only the "in-store" game has been delayed. Until there is an official confirmation from Doug, Gabe, Valve, etc. that the Steam version will be delayed too, well, yes, I am hopeful.

can you stop this foolishness? the game isn't done!!! they won't be releasing the game in any form on september 30th. the single player portion of the game is what they're most likely spending their playtesting time on, just accept it, the game isn't done, valve needs more time to finish it.

as i said before, if you really believe what you've been saying in this thread you are going to be very dissapointed on the 30th.

Wow... the level of denial here is unbelievable. I figured that when the delay was announced, all the fanatic "GABE TOLD ME SEPTEMBER AND NOTHING CAN EVER CHANGE THAT" people would turn into valve-haters... never did I imagine that a bunch of them would turn into "THE DELAY CANT BE TRUE DONT TRUST DOUG LOMBARDI ITS COMING IN SEPT NO MATTER WHAT VALVE SAYS!" kooks. Good lord.

If it were released on Steam on September 30th then imagine the amount of downloading that would be taking place, lets say 200,000 people trying to download 1000mb each. That is two hundred million megabytes of information, trying to be downloaded from a small network of sources.
To figure the rate of download from Steam servers, let's say that the fastest user connections are about 700kb/s and the slowest being 50kb/s. I dont think that 56k people would even try.
200,000*375 (375kb/s median end user optimal download speed)

Is 75,000,000 kb/s demand, (or 75,000mb/s). It seems highly unlikely that Valve could muster enough servers to host that type of demand. That would require a dedicated OC-12 or OC-48 to serve that. If you check out Google.com and type in oc48 internet backbone you will find the pricing is skyhigh. It doesnt seem feasible to do that, it probobly wouldn't be the best dispersal resources. More likely they would need to rent servers throughout the world in order to supply the game across continents. I wonder if Vivendi has some part in supplying Valve with distribution servers... wouldn't that delay HL2 on a steam release too?

Erik Johnson himslef told me it was delayed on Steam. IT WON'T BE RELEASED ON THE 30TH!

This thread has gone on enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back