Half life ... THE MOVIE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really, really hope that there is no half life movie. It would quite frankly ruin the franchise, unless it was pulled of superbly. Which i doubt.

Name a videogame to movie thats at least "Good"

Resident Evil was a pretty good movie.

And completely cut off from the game.

Resident Evil and it's sequal are terrible movies, everything from the scripts, the acting and hell the look of them were done so badly.

That last one was rather corny i must say, though that "GTA mother****er" and that "thing" were cool :p

I say give a Half-Life movie a Chance, What can happen? it got a big story line. Gabe & Company are being strict on hollywood, Right now though all of the scripts SUCK ASS. Hollywood keeps suggesting they the Hero "Gordon Freeman" saves the day & gets the Girl "Alyx Vance" I stupid romance love story which ruin the whole Movie. It would be mediocre 007 James Bond calibre type movie, Which I dont want. Until Valve finds a Director that makes a good script for a Half-Life movie, then NO GO!

I say give a Half-Life movie a Chance, What can happen? it got a big story line. Gabe & Company are being strict on hollywood, Right now though all of the scripts SUCK ASS. Hollywood keeps suggesting they the Hero "Gordon Freeman" saves the day & gets the Girl "Alyx Vance" I stupid romance love story which ruin the whole Movie. It would be mediocre 007 James Bond calibre type movie, Which I dont want. Until Valve finds a Director that makes a good script for a Half-Life movie, then NO GO!

Agreed. If they made one, I'd want Laidlaw to be there guiding the whole thing.

Yeah a movie might be alright. Especially if Patton makes a cameo appearance, shish-kabobbed by a strider.

But seriously, you can't a have a Half-Life movie with Gordon as the hero period. I'm sure others have mentioned this before.

But seriously, you can't a have a Half-Life movie with Gordon as the hero period. I'm sure others have mentioned this before.

You are all being silly. You can't have a Half Life movie without Gordon, he is the main character for god sake. In the movie he would talk like any normal person of course.
That is the best option, not to make movie following some random character that nobody cares about. Sure some people might not like it, because the character in the movie might not be as they imagined him to be, but still.

PS: I personally think that Valve's method to make the layer feel as if he was the character by making Gordon mute and not allowing any sort of mirror in the game so that the player couldn't see himself ridiculous. I personally prefer the character to behave normally and of course to speak to other characters in the game.

Yeah a movie might be alright. Especially if Patton makes a cameo appearance, shish-kabobbed by a strider.

You like to carry on don't you into other threads?

Also who did you have in mind as the main character if it isnt Gordon, Adrain Shepard?

I actually think a hl movie would be cool, if they stick to the ****ing story... unlike what they did in DooM... theres no "T-Virus" in DooM... ****ers... DooM is about killing demons... not sick people ><

A Halo movie would be better. Would not care if that game got butchered.

No HL movie!!!!!! because I want Valve to concentrate on Half-Life 2 Episodes & future Half-Life Games

I really, really hope that there is no half life movie. It would quite frankly ruin the franchise, unless it was pulled of superbly. Which i doubt.

Name a videogame to movie thats at least "Good"

Samon (once again) makes a good point! ALL the freedom would disappear. You could play HL2 or 1 any way you want, but with a movie, well, it'd be too long, they'd have to cut off a whole bunch, Valve would have to pull off a miracle to bring sales back up afterwards too! Atleast, that's how I see it...

You know, it's kinda funny that an HL movie thread should be brought back from the forum graveyard, 'cause I was just watching Law and Order and I saw the PERFECT person to play Eli Vance in a movie:

Joe Morton.

You might remember him from Terminator 2 as Miles Bennett Dyson. He's aged, grown a beard, his hair's whitening...moment I saw him on TV I thought, "What the--Eli?!"

But uh, no on the Half-Life movie because unless one of us fans directs it, the whole thing'll come out wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong. That being said I can name not one but THREE good video game movies:

Mortal Kombat
Super Mario Bros. (you loved it, don't lie)
Street Fighter the Movie (don't argue with me on this...this movie is GOLD)

Oh and hey, The Wizard was just released to DVD, does that count? It's a movie about videogames...

I'd rather they concentrate on the games. What I wouldn't mind is if they released say a "guide to all xenian creatures" book. As long as there are no novels (Halo, Warcraft) and no films (once again Halo, Warcraft) unless Laidlaw did it, the world will be a happier place.

A HL movie would badly damage the franchise and unless it was directed by a fan, (as Darkside55 said) hopefully Laidlaw because he knows so damn much about everything to do with Half Life Universe, seriously how do you pay that much attention to it? But anyway let's just hope that it's directed by fans and Samuel Jackson doesn't come in and ruin it like he did with Snakes on a Plane

I think for it to get the same impact as the game, it needs to be a tv series, so it can fit EVERYTHING in it. Doing it as a film means you have to cut everything down to 3 hours at the most and doing that means you will need to cut bits out of the story which you just cannot do with Half-Life. I mean look at Lost and 24, they go 24+ 1 hour episodes and always win awards for it, so if it was directed by a deep fan of the game who knows how to make films or laidlaw, with proper acting and the right actors for the parts, well funded then you get the greatest tv series ever shown, even better than 24 if done right, and believe me, I LOVE 24!

Yeah I guess a TV series woul be much better than a film, problem is they'd only show it in America until it gains enough popularity to go into Europe. I reckon they should do a HL2 comic following the stories of different people, just like some of the webcomics right now. My favourit HL2 webcomic is Apostasy, just google Half Life webcomic and you'll find a few others too. If they do make a proper HL2 comic then they shuld sell it in America, UK and
Japan as they are the biggest gaming nations. But it should be drawn and not made in gmod. Gmod is for webcomics.....which is good

Mortal Kombat
Super Mario Bros. (you loved it, don't lie)
Street Fighter the Movie (don't argue with me on this...this movie is GOLD)
You're telling me you actually want our beloved Half-Life to appear among those movie titles? You are mad, sir.

Yeah I guess a TV series woul be much better than a film, problem is they'd only show it in America until it gains enough popularity to go into Europe. I reckon they should do a HL2 comic following the stories of different people, just like some of the webcomics right now. My favourit HL2 webcomic is Apostasy, just google Half Life webcomic and you'll find a few others too. If they do make a proper HL2 comic then they shuld sell it in America, UK and
Japan as they are the biggest gaming nations. But it should be drawn and not made in gmod. Gmod is for webcomics.....which is good

Yeah I just read through Apostasy, really interesting, reveals a lot of background questions, especially the one as to how they sort of expect Gordon to return. You know when the next issue will be become available?

Yeah I just read through Apostasy, really interesting, reveals a lot of background questions, especially the one as to how they sort of expect Gordon to return. You know when the next issue will be become available?

No i don't sorry, just check back every week or so, that's what I do, if you can't wait until then, check out Concerned at www.hlcomic.com (I think) It follows the story of Gordon Frohman who is mistaken for Freeman many times. You also find out he is the reason for the destruction of Ravenholm. This is another Gmod comic but more on the humourous side of things

A guide to Xenian creatures= Good
A tv series= ehh, couldn't hurt
A movie= I'll pull out my eyes and then watch it, and THEN put my eyes back in after the film, so I can see the crappy reviews ALL of us come up with...

Laidlaw is prbably the only person capable of making it, also, I heard Quentin Tarantino (A moderate HL fan) has made, or considered, plan of making a HL movie, but, how the hell are they going to model Gordon, it's not like you can have G-man release the Gargantua in that one level and have Gordon say 'you're not getting away with this' Gordon id just too silent of a character to make a movie of, maybe if someone filmed himself playing ALL the HL games, maybe then, you'll have th best HL movie ever.

I think half life 2 is one of those games close enough to a movie that it has no need to be made into one, fps games with animations instead of cutscenes all the time are good, area 51 did it, but not as well, my favourite 'movie like' games are half life 2 and shadow of the colossus, just because they were done in an almost cinematic style, farenheit did the same thing and made a big deal out of it, whether or not it worked, i couldn't say, i haven't played it.

If they do episodic movie's (split it in several parts) maybe..JUST MAYBE it will work, but meh I seriously doubt it.

Im all So so on a HL movie.

I keep saying it over and over, but if you want to get Half-Life done right it needs to be in a mini-series format. As a movie it wouldn't do the game justice because too many things would need to be cut to get it under 3 hours. Dividing it into multiple movies would lead to a box office nightmare and should also be avoided.

As a mini-series, there would be less focus on special effects and more of a focus on character and plot development. Pacing would also be much improved over a movie format.

For example, Episode 1 introduces us to the characters and the Black Mesa Research Facility. The episode would end with the Resonance Cascade.
Episode 2 would deal with rounding up survivors and introduce us to the Xen threats teleporting into the structure.
Episode 3 would deal with the military entering the base and then the twist about how they're trying to silence everyone.
Episode 4 could deal with the survivors trying to get through the rail system in an attempt to reach the launch site. You could throw in the Tentacles and the Gargantua encounters if there's time.
Episode 5 could see the survivors get to the site and launch the satellite delivery rocket.
Episode 6 is the encounter with the Ichthy, Gordon's seperation from his survivors via the cold room, his encounter with the assassins, and his capture by the marines to end the episode.
Episodes 7 and 8 are pretty much all action as Gordon runs through Surface Tension. :)
Episode 9 deals with the military pulling out and Gordon finally making his way into the Lambda Complex.
Episode 10 then deals with Gordon being sent to Xen and him taking out Nihilanth. G-Man arrives at the end and the series completes with Gordon's hiring.

Put it this Way:
EPISODE 1 - Black Mesa Inbound and Anomalous Materials are seen here.
EPISODE 2 - Unforeseen Consequences and Office Complex chapters.
EPISODE 3 - "We've Got Hostiles" chapter.
EPISODE 4 - Blast Pit, Power Up, and the first little bit of the On a Rail chapter.
EPISODE 5 - Remainder of the On a Rail chapter. Extra time could be devoted to Barney's escape. If they were to do part of Blue Shift, the Xen sequences cannot be shown. Let's say Walter and Simmons will be replaced with Kleiner, Eli and a young Alyx Vance to improve the story somewhat.
EPISODE 6 - Apprehension chapter. Also shows the conclusion of Barney's escape from Black Mesa.
EPISODE 7 - Residue Processing, Questionable Ethics, and Surface Tension up until the cliff section.
EPISODE 8 - The remainder of the Surface Tension levels.
EPISODE 9 - "Forget About Freeman!" and a bit of the Lambda Core chapter.
EPISODE 10 - The rest of the Lambda Core chapter and the key parts of the Xen chapters (Gonarch, Factory, Nihilanth). Series ends with the G-Man hiring Gordon.

If successful a second mini-series that chronicles the events of Half-Life 2 could be made. I didn't include the Opposing Force and Decay events because the characters don't appear at all in the Half-Life 2 universe...at least, not yet. ;)

But this is why no Half-Life movie or TV mini-series should even be considered until the Half-Life games are finished for good. Once we know the way the story ends, only then can a serious take at Half-Life through a different medium be attempted.

I think you could cut that number of episodes in half, to five. I mean, how long would the episodes be? An hour each? If so, how on Earth could you possibly stretch the first two chapters to an hour of screen-time? Also, as to episode five: "a young Alyx Vance?" She'd have to be pretty young indeed; Alyx was two years old during the Resonance Cascade.

In any case, I'd prefer not to put anyone other than the player in Gordon's shoes, so I'd advocate something like a film version of Apostasy, possibly where the main character is trying to piece together the events at Black Mesa.

Yup thats what i said, it needs to be a mini-series because having it as a film means things have to be cut out which just cannot be done at all.

For Half-Life 2 it could something like this:

Episode 1
Gordon's entry into City 17, meeting with Barney, Alyx, Kleiner. The teleportation chamber fault and his journey through the route canal.

Episode 2
Introduction of the speed boat and his action packed ride through water hazard including the combine gunship weapon add-on and the final confrontation with the gunship that was harrasing him the entire journey, the jump of the dam itself. Then the Black Mesa East scenerio up until he first sets eyes on Ravenholm.

Episode 3
All of Ravenholm and the mines, up until he finally see's the light at the end of the tunnel, would be a great ending.

Episode 4
Sniper Alley, the abandoned railyard and the railyard base with the introduction of the scout car. Then we move onto Highway 17 including coming across New Little Odessa and the introduction of Cubbage Odessa himself. Then driving through and taking out the various checkpoints along the highway. The Suspension Bridge scenerio and ending just after Gordon misses the train coming straight at him on the birdge itself.

Episode 5
Beggining of Sandtraps scenerio including the battle at the resistance base at the lighthouse. The rest of Sandtraps with Gordon manuevering the deadly obstacles around the sand and battling the Antlions. The first encounter with the Antlion Gaurd, the introduction of the pheropods and ends just as Gordon is about to set out to Nova Prospect.

Episode 6
Assault on the outer defences of Nova Prospect, including the battle with two combine gunships at the entrance to the facility. Introduction of Nova Prospect itself all the way up until the first battle with the Antlion Gaurd in the shower rooms.

Episode 7
The rest of the Nova Prospect and all of Entanglement. It ends on a cliff-hanger just as you are being teleported out of Nova Prospect.

Episode 8
Anti-Citizen 1 basically

Episode 9
This one will be FULL of action when we go onto 'Follow Freeman'. This will the include the meet up with Barney and dealing with the Snipers, the assault on the Museum and the deactivation of the Supression Field, the attack on the skybridge, the Strider battle at the Museum courtyard and the Combine's last stand at the Citadel walls. It all ends as Gordon enters the bowls of the Citadel itself.

Episode 10
Gordon's massive trek through the Citadel all the way up to Breen's office itself and what follows. Then the destruction of Breen's teleporter. Of course ending it all with the explosion of the Citadel reactor, and G-Man's awsome closing speech.

The Episodes that follow should also take the part of a mini-series titled 'Aftermath', but since we only have one episode I dont how that would all fit in

;)

I think you could cut that number of episodes in half, to five. I mean, how long would the episodes be? An hour each? If so, how on Earth could you possibly stretch the first two chapters to an hour of screen-time? Also, as to episode five: "a young Alyx Vance?" She'd have to be pretty young indeed; Alyx was two years old during the Resonance Cascade.

In any case, I'd prefer not to put anyone other than the player in Gordon's shoes, so I'd advocate something like a film version of Apostasy, possibly where the main character is trying to piece together the events at Black Mesa.

You wouldn't wanna watch 24 then which has 24 one hour episodes or Lost, that has something like 30 one hour episodes

Did it really take you two hours to get past the Resonance Cascade? If so, how much of that was walking through corridors? How much standing around can someone reasonably be expected to watch?
As far as I can see it, you could cut it down to:
seven minutes of tram ride,
two minutes (Gordon never speaks) of mostly aimless chatting w/ various Barneys (not the real Calhoun, though; you never meet him in HL1),
three minutes of commercial,
seven minutes of Resonance Cascade. That's 19 minutes. Can you do better?

Did it really take you two hours to get past the Resonance Cascade? If so, how much of that was walking through corridors? How much standing around can someone reasonably be expected to watch?
As far as I can see it, you could cut it down to:
seven minutes of tram ride,
two minutes (Gordon never speaks) of mostly aimless chatting w/ various Barneys (not the real Calhoun, though; you never meet him in HL1),
three minutes of commercial,
seven minutes of Resonance Cascade. That's 19 minutes. Can you do better?

You can't be expected to follow the game down to a tee. In order for Half-Life to work in a movie or TV format there needs to be some DIALOGUE and some STORY. The first episode is basically all setup. It introduces us to the characters, it explains what the Black Mesa Research Facility is and what the research team has been up to. If I was the writer/director, I'd even have the setting on Xen to open the first episode.

Our characters are inside a cave (the whole thing is cleverly disguised to make it look like the are just in a tunnel on Earth). Most of them are dressed in suits of orange and tan clolors. These are the scientists. A couple of armed guards are also with them, wearing more subtle gear. It is then revealed that they're trying to get a crystal sample. Things go wrong.

(Following the philosophy of only hearing the monsters, but never seeing them early on would help to bring out some of the tension in the scene. As the scientists are running for their lives, the viewers never see what is chasing them)

In the background hive guns firing from Alien Grunts can be heard. Return fire from the guards echoes through the caves. One of the scientists is zapped by a stream of green electricity and collapses behind the group. The guards turn back to help the stragglers, but the camera remains with the main group. More running. A loud Gargantuan roar is heard in the background! :D

Two scientists finally make it to some equipment outside the cave. The viewers finally see that these people are someplace strange. Floating rocks, green atmosphere, this is not Earth. :O

A guard is waiting for them at the equipment, changing the ammo to his weapon. One of the surviving scientists moves toward the console controls, the other moves with much more caution towards the rock wall. The first scientist turns a knob and starts yelling into the radio at the person on the other end: "Send the signal! We've got the sample!!"

The second scientist is now cowering up against a rock, still clinging to the large yellowish crystal he took from the caves. Screams are heard echoing from deep inside the cave tunnel. The rest of the team hasn't made it out yet. The tunnel starts to glow a bright orange from the inside, almost as if something was burning. The ground shakes. The rumbling gets louder and louder!

"Send the signal now, Godammit!!"

Suddenly, a bright green ball of energy appears on the surface right in front of our three companions. The cowarding scientist darts into the green ball of light and disappears completely, taking the yellow crystal with him. Seconds later, the guard is shot in the back by a stream of green electricity and collapses imediately, screaming in pain. Steam is rises out of the wound as the man continues to scream.

The remaining scientist hesitates for a moment and then regrettably dives into the green energy ball, disappearing instantaneaously. Screen cuts to black. Flashes of light flicker about. The sounds go quiet, the flashes disappear.

Cue title: Half-Life

See what I mean? That whole sequence shows how the scientists were able to get the sample for the test chamber. It grabs the audience and keeps them compelled to watch further. The series doesn't have to follow the game exactly. Scenes can be added to make things more interesting and advance the plot. The reason why I wanted the first episode to end on a cliffhanger (the Resonance Cascade) was so the audience would be compelled to return for Episode 2.

Thats a cool intro, but if they did summat like that, I'd want a completely new tale, not one of the games.

I really do think thats a good intro, I could picture it perfectly, you would be good to direct the movie, much better than any fancy director who would stand a chance of ruining the movie. You and Laidlaw would make a great team with this movie, I highly suggest it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back