Half-life2 VS Halo2[GameSpy Poll]

Omg, look at this OFFICIAL quote from bungie.net

"VOTER FRAUD!
Posted by Frankie at 11/1/2004 5:48 PM
Can you believe it? It's not even Election Day and yet accusations of voter irregularities are rife! GameSpy is running a poll to decide which game folks are most excited about! Express your excitement for Halo by voting as many times as you like, as far as we can tell. The poll is on the front page of GameSpy on the bottom left!

Are we aiding in the voting irregularites? Yes. Halo Pride baby. Again, that's the front page of GameSpy on the bottom left!"

http://www.bungie.net/News/Story.aspx?link=9BD80526-DDBB-4101-B4F2-C3C2CCA9C5B4

Quelaar :hmph:

Bungie have got the biggest superiority complex of any developer I've ever seen.

The only reason I hate Halo 2 is because of its' fanbois... they are 10 times worse than the HL2 fanbois... AND WE GOT TO STOP THEM BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!

I know what happened, some dude proly posted about this at the xbox forums (bungie forums are offline) and BAM, instant 0wnage

go halo 2

I think it's our duty to outdo halo fanboys by outcheating them...

Quelaar

Any word if hl2world is voting yet? God knows they'd cheat :E

Quelaar

If this were from the bungie.net post it would be in a burst, its been like 20 minutes since that and its still going at a steady rate :hmph:

I think the reason Halo 2 is beating hl2 is because all the children that get scared easy like halo2 because it is not scary. HL2 has aliens jump out and stuff making it more scary then halo2. and halo2 is for the pussy gamers that can't take awesome games like hl2. I hope that makes sense.

nutcrackr said:
Bungie have got the biggest superiority complex of any developer I've ever seen.
what on earth are you talking about?

What follows is a post from a guy I know from another forum. He was replying to some poor fool who claimed that Halo was much better than Half-Life and that it follows that Halo 2 would pwn Half-Life 2. He was answering the request for some data that said Half-Life (the original) was a good game:

Source: http://www.onlinedebate.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1755&page=2&pp=20

"Sure. First of all, let it be noted, that PC's are much more advanced than consoles. They are much faster and capable of much more than any console can deliver. High graphic gaming, is the industry mechanism for advancing technology. This has long been the case, nothing new here. But it is also the case that console games over the past few years, have generally out sold PC games. Consoles are indeed, very popular (I have PS, PS2, and X-Box...that I get to play once a year when family comes to town to visit ). Consoles do have an advantage over PC's, and that is group gaming in the same room/area. One must create a LAN if they wish to do this with PC's. However, I have strayed off point...

Info about HL: Due to its many mods, it has secured itself as the industry's most played FPS (First Person Shooter).

The game came out in 1998. In 2003, 1.7 million people were playing one of its more popular mods, Counter-Strike. This is just ONE modification game (out of hundreds).

The original Half-Life was launched to tremendous reviews in 1998, won over 50 “Game of the year” awards worldwide, and launched a franchise with over 8 million units sold.

http://www.techimo.com/articles/index.pl?photo=49

HL has been out for 6 years. Over 10 million units have been sold as of a few months ago, and the HL games account for 88% of ALL ONLINE ACTION (FPS) GAMING. It's the industry leader.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/h...et_6100375.html

What made HL (Half-Life, not to be confused with Happy Lady ) so popular, was not only the revolutionary FPS and AI, but also the ability to create new modifications to the game, allowing it to expand and evolve into new themes (Western, WW2, WW1, Vietnam, Law Enforcement, etc...).

Half-Life 2 will be completely revolutionary not only with its graphics, new AI, new engine, new features to an FPS, etc... but also with its groundbreaking abilities to make it a much easier platform to create mods by their authors. HL was wildly successful in this department, HL2 is capitalizing on this concept to make it even more successfull. This is going to blow any competition away that even attempts to scratch it. It did so with HL, and HL2 is HL on speed."

http://money.cnn.com/2003/04/23/com.../column_gaming/

Half-Life awards:

Quote:

"Best Game of All Time" - PC Gamer
Half-Life was named "Best Game of All Time" by PC Gamer magazine in its November, 1999 issue.

Game of the Year
In addition Half-Life has won Game of the Year honors from 50 publications, including:

Industry

* Computer Game Developer Spotlight Awards
* The Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences Awards

Print Publications

* PC Gamer
* PC Games
* PC Accelerator
* Computer Gaming World
* Houston Chronicle

Online Publications

* CNET GameCenter
* Gamespot Reader's Poll
* Antagonist Games Network
* Adrenaline Vault
* Teen People Online
* Houston Chronicle
* Blue's News
* Gamers World
* Game Over Online Magazine
* Download.net
* Gamer's Depot
* Gamezilla
* Digital Entertainment On-Line
* Loony Games
* sCary's website
* Game Asylum
* Voodoo Extreme
* Intelligamer
* Electric Games
* The Electric Playground
* Game Power

Around the World

* PC Player (German)
* PowerPlay (German)
* Gamesmania (German)
* NBC Giga (German)
* Missil.net (Sweden)
* Daily Telegraph (UK)
* Gry Komputerowe magazine (Poland)
* Pelit magazine (Finland)
* Slitz (Sweden)
* PC Home (Chinese Edition)
* Megascene (Austria)
* PC Gamer (UK)
* PC Format (UK)
* .NET (UK)
* Ultimate PC (UK)
* Game.EXE (Russia)
* Speltorget (Sweden)
* Generation 4 (France)
* ECTS Interative Entertainment Award 1999 (Game.EXE - Russia)
* ECTS Interative Entertainment Award 1999 (France)
* ECTS Interative Entertainment Award 1999 (Eastern Europe)
* Best Action Game & Game of the Year by the readers of PC Zone Benelux (Holland)
* Play Online Magazine (Japan)

Peer Awards
Half-Life also won seven peer awards at the annual Computer Game Developers Conference, including:

* Best of Show
* People’s Choice Award
* Best PC Game
* Best Action Game
* Best Use of Graphics
* Best Artificial Intelligence
* Best Use of Audio

Additional awards
Additional awards Half-Life has won include:

* Interactive Achievement Awards ‘Best PC Game’
* Interactive Achievement ‘Action Game of the Year’
* ECTS Interactive Entertainment Award 1999 (Game.EXE - Russia)
* ECTS Interactive Entertainment Award 1999 (France)
* ECTS Interactive Entertainment Award 1999 (Eastern Europe)
* E3 Game Critics Award Best PC Game (1998)
* E3 Game Critics Award Best Action Game (1998)

Valve’s upcoming game, Team Fortress 2: Brotherhood of Arms, has won the following awards:

* E3 Game Critics Award Best Online Game (1999)
* E3 Game Critics Award Best Action Game (1999)

Source: http://www.valvesoftware.com/awardslist.htm

Halo info...

Halo came out late 2001.

Halo's awards:

Quote:

Best of E3 2004
* Which includes:
-- Best Console Game
-- Best Action Game
-- Best Online Multiplayer.

Source: http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/6059/...-Critics-Awards

Now there HAS to be more...Halo was indeed a great game (I own it too )...but discovering which awards it has won is a bit of a challenge. Regardless, it won't compare with the list of Half-Life.

Halo

Here is a list of the most sold games (per unit) as of 2003.

1. "Super Mario Bros." for NES: 40 Million Units
2. "Tetris" for Gameboy: 33 Million Units
3. "Super Mario Bros. 3" for NES: 18 Million Units
4. "Super Mario World" for SNES: 17 Million Units
5. "Super Mario Land" for Gameboy: 14 Million Units
6. "Super Mario 64" for N64: 11 Million Units
7. "The Sims" for PC: 10 Million Units
8. "Super Mario Bros. 2" for NES: 10 Million Units
9. "Grand Theft Auto: Vice City" for PS2: 8.5 Million Units
10. "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" for PSX: 8 Million Units
11. "GoldenEye" for N64: 8 Million Units
12. "Donkey Kong Country" for SNES: 8 Million Units
13. "Super Mario Kart" for SNES: 8 Million Units
14. "Pokemon Red/Blue" for Gameboy: 8 Million Units
15. "Half-Life" for PC: 8 Million Units
16. "Tomb Raider II" for PSX: 8 Million Units
17. "Final Fantasy VII" for PSX: 7.8 Million Units
18. "Myst" for PC: 7 Million Units
19. "Gran Turismo 3" for PS2: 7 Million Units
20. "Dragon Warrior VII" for PS2: 6 Million Units

Halo, didn't make the cut. Halo, sold 3 million units.
http://msxbox-world.com/xbox/news/a...-Worldwide.html

Not too shabby, but this could hardly be considered as the Half-Life stomper. And there is absolutely NO reason whatsoever to believe that the games will have reversed status with the sequels. HL was the biggest game to hit the technological gaming industry and community. It set the standard. HL2, according to all reviews, sets the standard again.

Reviews:

PCGamer, one of the industry's leading publications and software reviewers, has given HL2 a 96% rating...the highest it has ever given. For non-gamers, this means nothing...for gamers, PCGamer is one of most credible and important publications in the industry. It's average score amongst industry leading reviewers is: 97%.

Halo 2, still has yet to be reviewed by PCGamer.

PCGamer favored the original HL over the original Halo as well.

Now...is there any logical, factual reasons why we should believe that Halo2 will be superior to HL2? Any? This is not to say that Halo2 will suck, or not do well. That is not the claim. I will look foward to checking out Halo2. But the issue is HL2 vs Halo 2. Thus far, we have only "fancy" from the Halo supporters...surely....there is something more?"

Needless to say, the critic didn't want to argue the point anymore...

OKay its winning by a 800 vote margin I don't think that many people were on bungie.net at this time of day

/me smells cheats

Holy ****! How could Halo 2 all of a sudden make such a huge come-back?
This is bull-shit.
Not that I'm saying Halo 2 will disappoint, but I hope it does. It better disappoint.

That's BS, F*CKING HALO 2 IS BEATING HALF-LIFE 2 BY AT LEAST 1000... :flame:

i dont believe it but thats becuase a perosn must be voting 50 million times cuz he saw how much support HL2 is getting at this forum

Someone has a script. Refresh the page, watch the numbers go up insanely fast!! Hax. When i started writing this, it had 2390 votes. When i finished writing this post (now), it had 2491. (40 seconds)

Honestly, who gives a fawk? Some of y'all are complaining about halo fanboys being rabid gits when y'all are actin' the same way. This silly pissing contest about who's game is better or more anticipated is practically meaningless..... atleast to me.

well your one in a million jk jk but hey its just exciting as playing poker and betting all in

Tredoslop said:
Holy ****! How could Halo 2 all of a sudden make such a huge come-back?
This is bull-shit.
Not that I'm saying Halo 2 will disappoint, but I hope it does. It better disappoint.

Wtf? Why would you want a game to disappoint? You want people to recognize a game that you like better instead of a game that you dont like? What does it matter to you if its good or bad?

fluffhead said:
Wtf? Why would you want a game to disappoint? You want people to recognize a game that you like better instead of a game that you dont like? What does it matter to you if its good or bad?
Why would I want it to disappoint?
Because it turns me on.

I'm way more pumped about HL2. I havent waited frigging 6 years for nothing.

And it's not fair to compare a PC game vs. a console game. Halo 1 was a decent game. I liked how it was sort of "epic", I was fighting for the survival of humans. But, it was lame how it was all riding on masterchief's soldiers. In a game like Call of Duty, you feel like part of something bigger, not some one man amry. Halo was too "run and gun" for me. Just click and spray and you got your man (erm...alien). And some of the levels were plain "bleh"

GodlessPagan said:
What follows is a post from a guy I know from another forum. He was replying to some poor fool who claimed that Halo was much better than Half-Life and that it follows that Halo 2 would pwn Half-Life 2. He was answering the request for some data that said Half-Life (the original) was a good game:

Source: http://www.onlinedebate.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1755&page=2&pp=20

"Sure. First of all, let it be noted, that PC's are much more advanced than consoles. They are much faster and capable of much more than any console can deliver. High graphic gaming, is the industry mechanism for advancing technology. This has long been the case, nothing new here. But it is also the case that console games over the past few years, have generally out sold PC games. Consoles are indeed, very popular (I have PS, PS2, and X-Box...that I get to play once a year when family comes to town to visit ). Consoles do have an advantage over PC's, and that is group gaming in the same room/area. One must create a LAN if they wish to do this with PC's. However, I have strayed off point...

Info about HL: Due to its many mods, it has secured itself as the industry's most played FPS (First Person Shooter).

The game came out in 1998. In 2003, 1.7 million people were playing one of its more popular mods, Counter-Strike. This is just ONE modification game (out of hundreds).

The original Half-Life was launched to tremendous reviews in 1998, won over 50 “Game of the year” awards worldwide, and launched a franchise with over 8 million units sold.

http://www.techimo.com/articles/index.pl?photo=49

HL has been out for 6 years. Over 10 million units have been sold as of a few months ago, and the HL games account for 88% of ALL ONLINE ACTION (FPS) GAMING. It's the industry leader.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/h...et_6100375.html

What made HL (Half-Life, not to be confused with Happy Lady ) so popular, was not only the revolutionary FPS and AI, but also the ability to create new modifications to the game, allowing it to expand and evolve into new themes (Western, WW2, WW1, Vietnam, Law Enforcement, etc...).

Half-Life 2 will be completely revolutionary not only with its graphics, new AI, new engine, new features to an FPS, etc... but also with its groundbreaking abilities to make it a much easier platform to create mods by their authors. HL was wildly successful in this department, HL2 is capitalizing on this concept to make it even more successfull. This is going to blow any competition away that even attempts to scratch it. It did so with HL, and HL2 is HL on speed."

http://money.cnn.com/2003/04/23/com.../column_gaming/

Half-Life awards:

Quote:

"Best Game of All Time" - PC Gamer
Half-Life was named "Best Game of All Time" by PC Gamer magazine in its November, 1999 issue.

Game of the Year
In addition Half-Life has won Game of the Year honors from 50 publications, including:

Industry

* Computer Game Developer Spotlight Awards
* The Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences Awards

Print Publications

* PC Gamer
* PC Games
* PC Accelerator
* Computer Gaming World
* Houston Chronicle

Online Publications

* CNET GameCenter
* Gamespot Reader's Poll
* Antagonist Games Network
* Adrenaline Vault
* Teen People Online
* Houston Chronicle
* Blue's News
* Gamers World
* Game Over Online Magazine
* Download.net
* Gamer's Depot
* Gamezilla
* Digital Entertainment On-Line
* Loony Games
* sCary's website
* Game Asylum
* Voodoo Extreme
* Intelligamer
* Electric Games
* The Electric Playground
* Game Power

Around the World

* PC Player (German)
* PowerPlay (German)
* Gamesmania (German)
* NBC Giga (German)
* Missil.net (Sweden)
* Daily Telegraph (UK)
* Gry Komputerowe magazine (Poland)
* Pelit magazine (Finland)
* Slitz (Sweden)
* PC Home (Chinese Edition)
* Megascene (Austria)
* PC Gamer (UK)
* PC Format (UK)
* .NET (UK)
* Ultimate PC (UK)
* Game.EXE (Russia)
* Speltorget (Sweden)
* Generation 4 (France)
* ECTS Interative Entertainment Award 1999 (Game.EXE - Russia)
* ECTS Interative Entertainment Award 1999 (France)
* ECTS Interative Entertainment Award 1999 (Eastern Europe)
* Best Action Game & Game of the Year by the readers of PC Zone Benelux (Holland)
* Play Online Magazine (Japan)

Peer Awards
Half-Life also won seven peer awards at the annual Computer Game Developers Conference, including:

* Best of Show
* People’s Choice Award
* Best PC Game
* Best Action Game
* Best Use of Graphics
* Best Artificial Intelligence
* Best Use of Audio

Additional awards
Additional awards Half-Life has won include:

* Interactive Achievement Awards ‘Best PC Game’
* Interactive Achievement ‘Action Game of the Year’
* ECTS Interactive Entertainment Award 1999 (Game.EXE - Russia)
* ECTS Interactive Entertainment Award 1999 (France)
* ECTS Interactive Entertainment Award 1999 (Eastern Europe)
* E3 Game Critics Award Best PC Game (1998)
* E3 Game Critics Award Best Action Game (1998)

Valve’s upcoming game, Team Fortress 2: Brotherhood of Arms, has won the following awards:

* E3 Game Critics Award Best Online Game (1999)
* E3 Game Critics Award Best Action Game (1999)

Source: http://www.valvesoftware.com/awardslist.htm

Halo info...

Halo came out late 2001.

Halo's awards:

Quote:

Best of E3 2004
* Which includes:
-- Best Console Game
-- Best Action Game
-- Best Online Multiplayer.

Source: http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/6059/...-Critics-Awards

Now there HAS to be more...Halo was indeed a great game (I own it too )...but discovering which awards it has won is a bit of a challenge. Regardless, it won't compare with the list of Half-Life.

Halo

Here is a list of the most sold games (per unit) as of 2003.

1. "Super Mario Bros." for NES: 40 Million Units
2. "Tetris" for Gameboy: 33 Million Units
3. "Super Mario Bros. 3" for NES: 18 Million Units
4. "Super Mario World" for SNES: 17 Million Units
5. "Super Mario Land" for Gameboy: 14 Million Units
6. "Super Mario 64" for N64: 11 Million Units
7. "The Sims" for PC: 10 Million Units
8. "Super Mario Bros. 2" for NES: 10 Million Units
9. "Grand Theft Auto: Vice City" for PS2: 8.5 Million Units
10. "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" for PSX: 8 Million Units
11. "GoldenEye" for N64: 8 Million Units
12. "Donkey Kong Country" for SNES: 8 Million Units
13. "Super Mario Kart" for SNES: 8 Million Units
14. "Pokemon Red/Blue" for Gameboy: 8 Million Units
15. "Half-Life" for PC: 8 Million Units
16. "Tomb Raider II" for PSX: 8 Million Units
17. "Final Fantasy VII" for PSX: 7.8 Million Units
18. "Myst" for PC: 7 Million Units
19. "Gran Turismo 3" for PS2: 7 Million Units
20. "Dragon Warrior VII" for PS2: 6 Million Units

Halo, didn't make the cut. Halo, sold 3 million units.
http://msxbox-world.com/xbox/news/a...-Worldwide.html

Not too shabby, but this could hardly be considered as the Half-Life stomper. And there is absolutely NO reason whatsoever to believe that the games will have reversed status with the sequels. HL was the biggest game to hit the technological gaming industry and community. It set the standard. HL2, according to all reviews, sets the standard again.

Reviews:

PCGamer, one of the industry's leading publications and software reviewers, has given HL2 a 96% rating...the highest it has ever given. For non-gamers, this means nothing...for gamers, PCGamer is one of most credible and important publications in the industry. It's average score amongst industry leading reviewers is: 97%.

Halo 2, still has yet to be reviewed by PCGamer.

PCGamer favored the original HL over the original Halo as well.

Now...is there any logical, factual reasons why we should believe that Halo2 will be superior to HL2? Any? This is not to say that Halo2 will suck, or not do well. That is not the claim. I will look foward to checking out Halo2. But the issue is HL2 vs Halo 2. Thus far, we have only "fancy" from the Halo supporters...surely....there is something more?"

Needless to say, the critic didn't want to argue the point anymore...

Good lord. It's just a game.
This much research isn't necessary for a flame baiting thread.

Oh...some folks don't have a PC or one capable to run HL2, soooo, in fact, Halo 2 will be better for them. Also saying that HL2 is better than Halo 2 in general is ,in fact, opinion.

I'll be enjoying both.

Lt. Drebin said:
Good lord. It's just a game.
This much research isn't necessary for a flame baiting thread.

Oh...some folks don't have a PC or one capable to run HL2, soooo, in fact, Halo 2 will be better for them. Also saying that HL2 is better than Halo 2 in general is ,in fact, opinion.

I'll be enjoying both.

Fortunately, I didn't do the research. It's a quote from the poor slob who did. (see link) :LOL:

Voter Fraud! It's rigged!

Common, are we going to let some console player pwn PC players with some kiddie script?

Halo 2 for me.

I have had a Mac for years now, and the idea of "PC gaming" is a foreign and scary world for me. I like the idea of coming home and inserting a game that instantly works, while I sit in my comfortable couch and play with a big large TV. Halo 2 is like watching an extremely epic movie you get to participate in. I have already made plans to get it the night before at the stroke of midnight.
Reply #291 ==> http://www.forumplanet.com/gamespy/topic.asp?fid=1422&tid=1517226&p=20

Ha Ha Ha Ha...... The reason console games are popular is you only need an IQ of 5 to use one!

This is rediculous, Halo2 is in no way causing concern for HL2, For gods sake, I've never seen such a controversy over something that is so simple to deduce!!!! Tribes2, a $10 game has it over Halo2, it still baffles the mind when it comes to certain things... Here, I have a box of shit, surley you realize it's better than the cookies and milk you're enjoying right? It's the same thing with picking our president, exept most of us americans are fooled and will vote for Bush again, or Florida, who shouldnt even be allowed to vote... Anyways... Halo2 is another FPS like Tribes, Which don't get me wrong, I respect, but, HL2, well, you got the makings of realistic MOD's, Think Vietnam MOD's, think Desert Combat MOD's... What MOD support will Halo2 have???

Does it really matter what other people think of the game? I mean these people havent even played it and neither have we but the people who Have played it say its amazing, groundbreaking and it raises the bar of all gaming!

So no worries!

Back