Her-bal vs. er-bal (how do you pronounce herbal)

Herb-al vs. Er-bal

• Herb-al

Votes: 39 40.6%
  • Er-bal

Votes: 46 47.9%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Go suck an egg

Votes: 10 10.4%

• Total voters

Sebastian

Reaction score
I've been wondering something: how do you pronounce herbal. Just a question I've been pondering.

Yeah I think this is another English/American thing.

man what's next? a thread on what socks I should wear? how about a thread on ear wax? I wipe myself by pulling the toilet paper towards me! you?, what's the proper way of pronouncing STFU?

not every little thing that pops into your mind is thread worthy
:E

ps: Sebastian is really KngHenry (there, I said it)

man what's next? a thread on what socks I should wear? how about a thread on ear wax? I wipe myself by pulling the toilet paper towards me! you?, what's the proper way of pronouncing STFU?

not every little thing that pops into your mind is thread worthy
:E
Oh look who's talking, Mr. PostEveryNewsStoryHeReads. At least he thinks of his OWN topics.

Funny. In America, people tend to look at you funny if say it "herb-al". It's commonly accepted that the "h" is silent... much like the "s" in "swim".

Herb-al.. I've never heard anyone pronounce it er-bal.. the H is there for a reason o_0
Americans. I also found out recently they pronounce 'twat' as 'twot'. I mean, what?

Oh look who's talking, Mr. PostEveryNewsStoryHeReads. At least he thinks of his OWN topics.

yes but mine are about INTERESTING TOPICS not on how to pronounce words ...sheesh it's in the freakin dictionary ffs

herb·al Pronunciation Key: (ûrbl, hûr-)

It's er-bal with the H silent. Standard english ftw.

yes but mine are about INTERESTING TOPICS
That's debatable.

Erm. Well, we were a little overdue on the American vs. British thread of the month. Let the battle begin!

"Erbal" "Erbal" "Erbal"!!! Down with H!

That sounds ridiculous. I've never heard anyone say Swim as "Wim".

Why drop the "H"? Nous ne sont pas le Francais. Or cockneys.

" Ah'll 'ave you nawn we say 'erbal. Carhnt!"

erbal

also, in texas its common to pronounce "humble" as "umble"

But that's not the only thing strange about our accents.

"Must ef thuh tam way tawk lack thayeus"

it also bugs me that people here say "cement" as "SEE-ment" and "insurance" as "AN-surance"

Or perhaps, like the word is actually spelled. Herbal. Herbal. Herbal.
You know that argument can't hold up. That's like denying silent letters as a whole, when they do exist and are completely necessary.

I once pronounced it herbal, and some kid in my class gave me shit about it. But I only pronounced it that way because some other kid said herbal. To make a long story short, the school had a 3 day riot. (BTW I'm not KngHenry)

You know that argument can't hold up. That's like denying silent letters as a whole, when they do exist and are completely necessary.
Why not? Why don't I just pull the excuse you Americans use when the -or/-our debate comes up, by saying that language is constantly evolving, and that pronouncing the 'h' in words such as herbal and hospital is the modern form, and excluding it is the archaic. Yeah, let me just do that.

Notice the name of the language. Also, notice that I say it as HERbal. And notice how my nationality is the same as the language's name.

Hrm. I wonder which pronounciation is better?

-Angry Lawyer

Notice the name of the language. Also, notice that I say it as HERbal. And notice how my nationality is the same as the language's name.

Hrm. I wonder which pronounciation is better?

-Angry Lawyer

QFT. The people who made the language get to decide the proper way of saying things.

Er-bal.

Most likely because my teachers would do some corporal punishing when I pronounced it wrong.

furball.JPEG

Er-bal.

Most likely because my teachers would do some corporal punishing when I pronounced it wrong.

Tell them you prefer the British-English (and more traditional) way.

Herbal all the way!

Why not? Why don't I just pull the excuse you Americans use when the -or/-our debate comes up, by saying that language is constantly evolving, and that pronouncing the 'h' in words such as herbal and hospital is the modern form, and excluding it is the archaic. Yeah, let me just do that.

I sense hard feelings in this post probably from the fact that we kicked your ass in the Revolutionary War and now we can do whatever the hell we like. :D :D

Americans. I also found out recently they pronounce 'twat' as 'twot'. I mean, what?

wtf? I've never even heard anysone say twat over here. And I say it twat, like apple. Uh, bad comparison.

Finally, someone brings that up. It's a common misconception that the correct pronounciation is "twot". Mostly because idiots at Urban Dictionary record themselves saying it that way in the audio pronounciation and therefore it spreads as what people think is the "right way".

Back