Her-bal vs. er-bal (how do you pronounce herbal)

Herb-al vs. Er-bal

• Herb-al

Votes: 39 40.6%
  • Er-bal

Votes: 46 47.9%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Go suck an egg

Votes: 10 10.4%

• Total voters
Of course I'm being serious. Dreadlord, back me up here! On the East coast, no-one pronounces the "S" in "swim".

erbal

also, in texas its common to pronounce "humble" as "umble"

But that's not the only thing strange about our accents.

"Must ef thuh tam way tawk lack thayeus"

it also bugs me that people here say "cement" as "SEE-ment" and "insurance" as "AN-surance"

I live in Texas and have never heard anybody talk like that. Maybe in rural-ish areas but not in cities. We all pronounce "insurance" correctly... However, there are a lot of people that pronounce "pecan" as "PEE-can" instead of "puh-CAWN". Mmm, pee-can pie. There are also a lot of people who pronounce Spanish street names and rivers the non-Hispanic way. As in, prouncing "Guadalupe" and "Rio Grande" with a silent "e" instead of saying the "-eh" sound at the end.

Oh, and I pronounce "herbal" with the "h" silent.

Actually, I'd like to start pronouncing "herbal" as "Go suck an egg" but I already voted.

East Coast doesn't speak like that - wim? wtf is that? It's SWIM. S-W-I-M

does anybody say the N a bit differently if there's a K in front? like, I push my tongue a bit harder to say "knife" than I would "now".

Awesome, I'm unique! There's lots of words that I say wierd, I jsut can't think of any.

By the way, about the "swim" thing- I've heard it pronounced that way before.

I fail at nothing but understanding how you can criticize us for making the h in herbal silent when the h in
"honour" is perfectly fine. Take note the u in every -our word you guys have is not used.

I pronounce the letter 'h' in honour.

Just like I pronounce the 'h' in hotel, hospital, hopscotch and hog's eye.

The people who don't pronounce the h in those words are the French.

"It isn't 'alf 'ot in 'ere, put the kettle on love!" or something

That's specific English accents (like Cockney). I, for one, speak nothing like that. In fact, a cockney got beaten up in my hometown for speaking like that.

herbal, you say it like its spelt. another word that pisses me off when americans say it is 'nuclear'....i think that word gets butchered into 'nucular' or something.its nuclear damnit

I say "'erbal yooou cahnt." and then twat you with a table leg, 'cause I'm a Cockernee ragamuffin.

Which is, as anyone who's met me will know, so untrue it's funny.
"Glenn, you faakin' ponce - keep larfin narr son, 'cuz yooou'll be larfin on the uvva soide uv a payvin staaarn, when Oi'm finished wiv ya."

Anyway - as Eddie Izzard once said, when talking about the difference in English and Yanklish:
"You say erbs, whereas we say Herbs. 'cause there's a f*cking H in there."

Reaktor4 said:
er-bal just sounds retarded.
Sorry, but that's how it's pronounced.
Yeah, if you're retarded.

I think its quite funny that we're all on an internet forum reading people's posts in our own accents, so alot of the meaning could be lost.

I'm reading everyone's posts with a texas accent in my head, so I'm often very confused when I come upon british-exclusive words and don't know how to say them.

(I first heard of the word "lorry" on this forum and pronounce it "lawe-ry")

Language fighting is fun.

I mean, people from two different areas in the UK still argue about how you say Glass.

Some people say "Glarss"
I say Glass. Because there's no 'R' in there!

there used to be very annoying ads on tv with people singing "ive got the uuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrge to uuuuuurrrrrrrrrbal" which is mostly the reason why i hate the urbal pronunciation.

Oh yeah, and brits add an R to every word that ends with a vowel...

Tea-r?

Sorry that's the only word that I can think of that ends in a vowel right now, and it's not working for me.

well, except tea. Actually, I think it's only if the next word starts with a vowel, or something. But it's still wierd.

Like, if a brit was trying to speak spanish. "computadorer".

Does anyone ever use 'an' before words beginning with 'h'? Like 'an historical event'.

Back