Her-bal vs. er-bal (how do you pronounce herbal)

Herb-al vs. Er-bal

• Herb-al

Votes: 39 40.6%
  • Er-bal

Votes: 46 47.9%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Go suck an egg

Votes: 10 10.4%

• Total voters
And I missed this thread. I, the grammar nazi, missed it. Capital D colon.

Well, the noun is "erb" (silent H), so the adjective is "erbal" (silent H). Since I've grown up in Arkansas, I still accidentally bastardise "you're" and "your" into "yer", but I tend to avoid it. Also because of Arkansas, "our" occasionally becomes "are" or even "aur/awr", usually when I'm not paying attention to how I speak.

Sometimes I'll take the H off of a few words like "historical", producing "an 'istorical event". There aren't many words that are open to this culling. "An 'omosexual guy" just sounds retarded. "An" does not go before words with a hard H, ever.

The extra R mentioned several posts ago, in my experience, tends to occur only in words that end in a schwa: "data" can become "datar" (Patrick Stewart), "orchestra" can become "orchestrar" (Billy Joel), and "agenda" can become "agendar" (I). The extra R is just a slight phoneme added after the schwa; it doesn't substantially change the word at all.

I would make a recording of my voice, unique accent and all, but I got bored trying to set up the microphone.

The pronunciation of "colonel" makes no sense :(. Also, I don't like how people pronounce "crawfish" as "crayfish."

The pronunciation of "colonel" makes no sense :(. Also, I don't like how people pronounce "crawfish" as "crayfish."

Colonel is pronounced 'kernel'

I have no idea how it got that way though. And crawfish and crayfish are two completely different spellings / pronunciations I believe.

Colonel is pronounced 'kernel'

I have no idea how it got that way though. And crawfish and crayfish are two completely different spellings / pronunciations I believe.

They both refer to the same thing though.. right?

Sometimes I'll take the H off of a few words like "historical", producing "an 'istorical event". There aren't many words that are open to this culling. "An 'omosexual guy" just sounds retarded. "An" does not go before words with a hard H, ever.

I would say "an 'omosexual" but would slur it all together to be something like "nomosexual".

Conclusion of this thread? American English has degraded due to the laziness of your forefathers. SHAME. SHAAAAMEEE!

-Angry Lawyer

I still fail to see how Zee and See sound anything like each other.. Do British people have thick tongues or something?

Conclusion of this thread? American English has degraded due to the laziness of your forefathers. SHAME. SHAAAAMEEE!

-Angry Lawyer

Maybe if we just get enough people to refer to it as "American" rather than English, it'll catch on.

Or something.

It did catch on. To the point where not many people still pronounce things the old way.

Bah. Go into any other established language and you have EVEN MORE variety in the way things are said... with regional dialects and whatnot.

So quit yer bitching about the way we americans do things.

The colonies say Herbal.

In 500 years we won't even understand eachother at all the languages would have diverged so much.

...IF there was no internet.

Internet will probably keep the English dialects understandable to eachother. Though nobody will ever understand what New Zealanders say. Phil McCraken= Feel Me Cracken?

FUSH AND CHUPS? Fush...mmm.

Bah. Go into any other established language and you have EVEN MORE variety in the way things are said... with regional dialects and whatnot.

So quit yer bitching about the way we americans do things.
Yup, that's a good point. It happens in any language when you have different regions. Spanish in Spain and Spanish in South America is different in many ways, and also, there is lots of diversity within just South America.

Yup, that's a good point. It happens in any language when you have different regions. Spanish in Spain and Spanish in South America is different in many ways, and also, there is lots of diversity within just South America.

Or Italy... italy is known for its varying dialects. Northern Italy, Southern Italy... etc.

Funny if you spell something italian to somebody... and the guy is an idiot and says "that's not how you spell it!", and when in reality its perfectly the norm in a more southern italy dialect.

I bet Herbert would be pissed off at this thread right about now.

Also, how do you pronounce Jamie?

Back