Her-bal vs. er-bal (how do you pronounce herbal)

Herb-al vs. Er-bal

• Herb-al

Votes: 39 40.6%
  • Er-bal

Votes: 46 47.9%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Go suck an egg

Votes: 10 10.4%

• Total voters
Does anyone ever use 'an' before words beginning with 'h'? Like 'an historical event'.

That's a WHOLE nother can of worms...

You can say 'an apple' and have it be appropiate, but saying 'an mango' is not. 'an orange' is fine, but 'an banana' is not.

According to my History teacher, 'an historical event' would actually be the correct English. However, it sounds archaic to say it that way.

when I say "an historical" I put it all together in one word. "anustorical".

I also say "hoctopus".

My English teacher (who is also my History teacher) says it's 'a historical' seeing as the h isn't silent. I suppose if you pronounce it istorical then 'an' would be correct. You should always say 'an hour' as the h in hour is always silent.

English is a friggin dumb language.

The K in knives affects the inflection.

Also, it's Aluminium.

-Angry Lawyer

I heard before that the original name of the element was infact Aluminum but it was said to make more sense as Aluminium as it fit with other element name and the US never adopted the changed name.

Nobody says de-pot unless they are joking. :/

Home De-pot is what we said when I worked at Lowe's..

Did the Home Depot people call you Low-eeez?

I've only been there once, incognito, so I don't know. They are a shady bunch.. >.>

Srsly, I went in teh store, and it was all dark and tehy guy wet up the ladder to the platform and jumped off and did abackflip and was like HA!HA! I offer greats deals on vinly flooring! and I'm like NO! and I got outtas there real fast. :|

I've only been there once, incognito, so I don't know. They are a shady bunch.. >.>

Srsly, I went in teh store, and it was all dark and tehy guy wet up the ladder to the platform and jumped off and did abackflip and was like HA!HA! I offer greats deals on vinly flooring! and I'm like NO! and I got outtas there real fast. :|

Are you sure you didn't walk into a dream?

You only say "an" before a word if it's pronounced like a vowel, or there actually is a vowel at the start of the word.

An Orange - O is vowel
An Apple - A is Vowel

But other words are wierd, like "An Hour" the "H" is pronounced like an "A" or "O", so it's kind of like there is a vowel at the start, but not when it's written, only when it's spoken. I guess you'd write it as "A Hour", but you'd say it as "An Hour"..

^ The H is silent in Hour, therefore O is a vowel and you say and write an before hour.

The H is silent, but it's still there. Right?

But isn't "our" pronounced "are"? Think about it, say it in a quick sentence.

Shouldn't "are" be spelled differently! WTF!! NOO!!!

*Head Explodes*

But isn't "our" pronounced "are"? Think about it, say it in a quick sentence. shouldn't are be spelled differently! WTF!! NOO!!!

*Head Explodes*

No. :|

Our is "our". People say it like "are" if they are lazy.

You guys are just trying to sound smart, you know you and everyone on HL2.net say it like "are"

when you say "our" like "are", you sound like you're from the UK :p
well kind of, it should be "aw"

It takes less time, instead of saying "Ow-er house is big" you say "Are house is big"

It takes less time, instead of saying "Ow-er house is big" you say "Are house is big"

It takes no more time... They take exactly the same amount of time to say, depending on your speech patterns.

And the pronounciation of "you're" ... everyone says "your" and not "youer".

I usually just bypass the issue entirely and say "yer" D:

Aye matey! All ye damn proper english speakin' ninnies sound rediculous! Yer a bunch 'o good fer nothin' land lubbers. Arrr...

LOL @ "Our" being pronounced as "Are". Maybe if you're retarded.

Back