Her-bal vs. er-bal (how do you pronounce herbal)

Herb-al vs. Er-bal

• Herb-al

Votes: 39 40.6%
  • Er-bal

Votes: 46 47.9%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Go suck an egg

Votes: 10 10.4%

• Total voters
Er-bal...That is how I say it....what about Ketchup: Cats-up or Catch-up. How do you say it?

Funny. In America, people tend to look at you funny if say it "herb-al". It's commonly accepted that the "h" is silent... much like the "s" in "swim".
Silent s in swin? o_0
"I was wimming yesterday"
Er...that's just wrong.

These threads are always great. Watching Axyon dive right in every time and try to defend his English honor.

I've heard both plenty.

You mean honour
sshsd4.gif

Honour way to the store we saw an Englishman?

Honour way to the store we saw an Englishman?

Hm good point.

Our, honour, on-our?
Hon-our?

I don't see how you can say there is an H sound in herbal but not one in honor.

Whoaaaa hypocracy.

Hm good point.

Our, honour, on-our?
Hon-our?

I don't see how you can say there is an H sound in herbal but not one in honor.

Whoaaaa hypocracy.
Or hermaphrodite or hemp or hospital or healling or head or help or hell or hello.
You fail at logic.

I fail at nothing but understanding how you can criticize us for making the h in herbal silent when the h in
"honour" is perfectly fine. Take note the u in every -our word you guys have is not used.
---

Oh, I should also point out, I've seen enough British TV to know you guys drop h's left and right in normal speach.
Example coming from memory: In the world destruction thread with the Japanese CG movie, someone says something about the heat, and someone replies with "It isn't 'alf 'ot in 'ere, put the kettle on love!" or something. :LOL:

Don't bother yourself with figuring out how I remember things like that.

I generally pronounce it without the h, but there is some occasion when I do pronounce it as its spelled.

So would people who say 'erbal refer to thyme, parsley, tarragon, oregano etc. as 'erbs, not herbs?

The "h" is silent, except in a proper name such as "Herb".

what about if herb were someone's name? I wouldn't know what to say to them. I would be like "what up erb", then he would say "it's herb". But I would say "i've always call it erb." To make a long story short, I would trip over a hedge of rubarb and skin my knee.

what about if herb were someone's name? I wouldn't know what to say to them. I would be like "what up erb", then he would say "it's herb". But I would say "i've always call it erb." To make a long story short, I would trip over a hedge of rubarb and skin my knee.

Herb is often someone's name, AFAIK it's short for Herbert, right?

Anyway, you pronounce the H in that. In the herb like the plants, it's silent.

man what's next? a thread on what socks I should wear? how about a thread on ear wax? I wipe myself by pulling the toilet paper towards me! you?, what's the proper way of pronouncing STFU?

not every little thing that pops into your mind is thread worthy
:E

ps: Sebastian is really KngHenry (there, I said it)

White socks.
I have to get my ear wax flushed out with a syringe now and then.
I wipe away from myself.
I pronounce STFU as "Stafoo" or just "S. T. F. U."
And I say Herb-al.

Right. Words like herbicide, herbivore, and herbaceous are pronounced with the "h", while herb and herbal the "h" is silent. Go figure.

It's funny, I thought everybody left the s in "swim" silent. At least, on the east coast. I remember when I moved to Belmont, everybody made fun of me because I pronounced the S :(

I was quick to drop it however, and now things are going wimmingly!

It's funny, I thought everybody left the s in "swim" silent. At least, on the east coast. I remember when I moved to Belmont, everybody made fun of me because I pronounced the S :(

Are you being serious?

Is it true that people from boston say 'caw' instead of car? They leave the r silent?

"Wanna get changed and go wimmin'?"

"What the **** did you just say to me!?"

Yeah, but on the west coast they say "bithering" instead of "blithering" so screw them.

Back