HL2 grand master status

I think it means that they have a build which contains HL2 from the beginning to the end, so they can play it all through now.

Dile said:
I think it means that they have a build which contains HL2 from the beginning to the end, so they can play it all through now.

This could be true, which means they'll be entering the bugkilling (no, not antlions ;)) stage.

PvtRyan said:
If you don't mind, I'm being VERY sceptic, when one site reports HL2 going gold (or atleast in the phase that release candidates are being sent to the publisher) with his source 'someone'....
Whilst I'm with you on that, let's not forget that all the while when people were, for the most part, none the wiser about HL2's development "someone" always had something to whisper and a lot of them proved true...

Half-Life 2's a turn-based isometric fantasy-based RPG, right?

el Chi said:
Whilst I'm with you on that, let's not forget that all the while when people were, for the most part, none the wiser about HL2's development "someone" always had something to whisper and a lot of them proved true...

Half-Life 2's a turn-based isometric fantasy-based RPG, right?

That is correct, and the Xbox version is a text-based adventure game

I thought someone from Valve said that they were at the bug testing phase weeks ago.

Varsity said:
I thought someone from Valve said that they were at the bug testing phase weeks ago.
never believe valve

EDIT- or any gaming company

EDIT2- or anyone

EDIT3- man i'm lonely :(

I've done a little research and come up with this conclusion:

Half-Life 2 is very good at chess.

Murray_H said:
That is correct, and the Xbox version is a text-based adventure game
<Gasps> And here's me without an X-Box! I must go and purchase one from my local electronics emporium forthwith.

Or I could grab a pen and paper...

Tarkus said:
never believe valve

EDIT- or any gaming company

EDIT2- or anyone

EDIT3- man i'm lonely :(

i'm sure gorgon needs a friend 2. maybe u 2 can pair up ;)

Varsity said:
Yeah, they said that last September.

At any rate, PC Gamer's latest "Release O' Meter" has Half-Life 2 set for a June 30 release, so if Valve is really putting together release candidates now, it could make late June a definite possibility.

Grand Master status = Gordon has become an old man, however he has reached the highest level in his skill of choice, well done Gordon didnt know he played UO.

Pi|mu|rho is right, it'll stilll take some time till HL2. As Doug said - Summer.

My optimist in me says that grandmaster status means that they have a grand master copy of HL2 on disc from which to make all the other lovely copies from.

The realist in me says that I should go back to work and wait for more news.

Well, we know they are going to E3, unless they are going to suprise everyone and say it was a big joke and release early.

Dunno about this but i thought going gold was when they have printed 10 000 (or 100 000) discs of the game...

...Grand Master Status is probably some of the last stages...
.. actually going gold is when they have the final version of the game ready to be shipped..

you might be thinking of awards like a gold cd for games which sold enough copies but this isn't the same as the "going gold" or "gone gold" term which all games do when they are completed.

All I know is if what they are saying is true about this "grandmaster status" thing is that it's good news, and HL2 is moving along nicely. I expect a summer release. (June) (Like Valve said)

I wouldnt get your (and my) hopes up..
for all we know, VU and Valve may refer to HL2 as being "Grand Master satus" because they have been working on it for 4-5 years.
means absolutely nothing at this point.
:(

Abom said:
I wouldn't get yourself too worked up, guys. This may just mean that a new delivery of donuts just came in or something... just be prepared to accept it might not be something truly important.

But of course! Grand master donuts for the Gabe himself!

Attachments

• grandmaster.png
    grandmaster.png
    14.3 KB · Views: 311
My spider senses are tingling... :cheese:

And they are telling me that this "Grand Master Status" is just another false start... :dork:

How many replies will this thread get before people realize its just another hoax!!!

I thought Half-Life 2 always had grandmaster status... :)

Sprafa said:
Pi|mu|rho is right, it'll stilll take some time till HL2. As Doug said - Summer.
He said the they 'were working towards Summer', so it doesn't mean it WILL be Summer, but somewhere near Summer. :)

Keeson said:
How many replies will this thread get before people realize its just another hoax!!!
Lets get at least 100 more replies trying to understand what the hell Grand Master means before Gabe says "It means nothing"

Mr-Fusion said:
Lets get at least 100 more replies trying to understand what the hell Grand Master means before Gabe says "It means nothing"

LOL...that would be hilarious

however if we broke "grand master" as a english term, it means the top guy as far as rankings go, which in terms of software means that it is the last version before release. It definatly is not a "gold master" because we would hear about that in news everywhere..... we are at the final look through of the final version of halflife2....kind of like the last pass of scanning out your house making sure things are as they should be before you go on vacation and leave the house for awhile. This is good news folks

If this news if fake, then what I'm about to post will be another crushing blow to us all.

"Gold Master" isn't a new term.

In this article:
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2001/mar/07macosx_gm.html

Gold Master referred to the final, feature complete Mac OSX CD.
Now the article is from the 7th of that month, and the OS was expected to ship on the 24th.

It's almost too good to be true, so don't get your hopes up. (really, don't!)

hmm..

Halo for mac "Gold Master":
http://www.stargeek.com/item/36890.html

The news post specifically differentiates between "Gone gold" and "grand master". Obviously the game has NOT gone gold. What "grand master" means is anyone's guess.
(A full build ready for balancing/bug testing sounds plausible to me.)

It means HL2 has finally reached one of the top positions in the Ku Klux Klan! Congratulations, you bastards! I always knew there was something shady going on...

j/k

oh ok, lol.

after reading a few pages of this thread, i somehow mixed up gold with grand.

nevermind

why do u say June 9th ray_MAN, not questioning you, just why the 9th?

I just sent a few e-mails out to see if we can shed some light on this situation.

Spiffae said:
I just sent a few e-mails out to see if we can shed some light on this situation.

Yeah, I e-mailed Gabe when I first saw this toic, no response, been 3 hours

Anyhow, ray_Man has clearly been to the future and back!

wha?
I don't even see anything about grand master status or half-life 2 on that page.

edit: oops
Still waiting on DOOM III to go gold, and someone told me that Half-Life 2 has reached "grand master status" (something like that, not sure what that translates in VU lingo) so maybe Half-Life 2 isn't as far off as we might think. Man, having those two games would really improve my spirits, that's for sure, and perhaps give Far Cry a little competition in the graphics department.

so the master copy's are off for mass copying?,, then ready to get packadged... .. awsome news, if its true id expect it to go gold in a month or so, possibly just after E3?

try searching the page for half-life, its kinda tucked away underneath somthing, i doubt its worth a 6 page thread :O

Back