HL2 Source Code

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by MrD
Has nobody read the sticky from Gabe??

It was stolen, pure and simple.

Didnt realise it was in that sticky, just reading it now.

Compiling wont do anything except, make client and server dlls you cant use. It also creates a EXE which cant be run, so why complile. If i was you save the trouble and remove what you've downloaded totally.

Bossman: Some people have got the EXE to work, they can interact with the console (how many times do i have to say that), although it's a waste of time for most people to compile it.

Originally posted by mrchimp
(how many times do i have to say that)

This is a message board feature, which I dub "circle theory". It occurs when the thread gets so big that people can't be arsed to read the whole entire thing, and so they post questions/comments that have already been discussed. In the end we go round in circles... indefinitely.

I'v said it in 5 threads several times over...

Oh well, at least circle theory boosts my post count ;)

I'v said it in 5 threads several times over...

Oh well, at least circle theory boosts my post count ;)

LOL! me too, me too ...

Apologies, i have actually read the whole thread... i must of missed it as you havent written it 5 times i'm sure. Wheather or not the console can be run from the exe, it means manipulation of the code from what is originally downloadable. Ontop of that you still cant "run" the game as most people still seem to think.

No, compiling wont allow you to run the game. BUT you can, however, make your own game with it. Finished compiling....... putting dlls in correct spots. :). Oh and I'd like to mention how huge this project really is, over 150+ projects making over 150+ mb of TEXT.

I have been talking to programers on IRC and they have lots of theorys on how to get a full level working with entitys useing the combine soldier A.I, I mean the code for the new hammer editor is in there so if someone compiled it and got it working you could port HL1 levels into source or make your own.

Somone will get this working, it's just too tempting for alot of people to leave alone.

I think madCoder got Hammer working. The Source is still missing things like animations and textures, etc. though.

Someone will make textures,animations,models and so on so forth. You won't be able to play HL2 untill it's released but it won't be long before you can run around in the source engine knocking stacks of boxes over.

This is just too easy, everytime I think, "Hey where does this dll go?", I just open up the source and check. Error message anyone, remove it or debug.

Thats the problem, theres too many numpties out there that cant win fair and square, cos their not good enough. So what do they do, steal source code to get back at Valve, then create cheats, aimbots and similar long before the game comes out so they can abuse people who legitimantly buy the game and want a decent match online.

Makes me sick

Luckaly only 50% of the game was stolen, all the levels, models, animations, textures, etc... still safe. I doubt that this will help hackers if valve rewrites the code in the coming months.

Originally posted by mekilla
Luckaly only 50% of the game was stolen, all the levels, models, animations, textures, etc... still safe. I doubt that this will help hackers if valve rewrites the code in the coming months.

They probably have been rewriting code for about a few weeks now, I think all they really have to do is for MP and Steam, if they only had to do that, that would be great, we may get hl2 in december then, if not we probably won't see HL2 this year, this is such a big burden. I hope they release an announcement to what they are gonna have to do. :cheers:

isn't this really old code to start with? its from 9/11.. last year. the code has been revised and etc for over a year, and now they'll probably be doing even more

I just visited #yuog0t at irc.lcirc.net and topic says "RUSH LIMBAUGH LEAKED THE HL2 SOURCE CODE!"
Note that you will be immediately kick&banned when you enter..

You may want to check out this too: http://www.gtwy.net/hl2/

Yes I know that may be total bs. I don´t even know who that guy is and I guess that neither do you.. just wanted to tell you this... ;)

Re-write? You having a laugh, that Source code must have taken a good few years, it cant be re-done in a few months. Whats more important is prevention of anything like this happening again.

Hey all!
Iv done a little bit of hacking in my time but this is well out of order, I'll have a look around all the hacking sites I know 2 see if I can get any info on the hack.

Jammydodger

Originally posted by Jer3
I just visited #yuog0t at irc.lcirc.net and topic says "RUSH LIMBAUGH LEAKED THE HL2 SOURCE CODE!"
Note that you will be immediately kick&banned when you enter..

You may want to check out this too: http://www.gtwy.net/hl2/

Yes I know that may be total bs. I don´t even know who that guy is and I guess that neither do you.. just wanted to tell you this... ;)
Yeah thats already been posted a few times. Personally i think its a good read and happen to believe it, but obviously theres no iron clag proof.

Originally posted by Jammydodger
Hey all!
Iv done a little bit of hacking in my time but this is well out of order, I'll have a look around all the hacking sites I know 2 see if I can get any info on the hack.

Jammydodger
If you do find anything read this thread before you take any action:
http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10692

I have been talking to programers on IRC and they have lots of theorys on how to get a full level working with entitys useing the combine soldier A.I, I mean the code for the new hammer editor is in there so if someone compiled it and got it working you could port HL1 levels into source or make your own.

Somone will get this working, it's just too tempting for alot of people to leave alone.

Yeah unfortunately this is a very true statement.. it is too tempting and someone will make use of the incomplete code.

I wonder if they knew what they stole, when they did it? Or were they just looking for anything... hoping to actually find the game itself?

I would like to nominate these fu{ktards for the worst possible torture that anyone can imagine. Then extensive beatings... Followed by other horrible things... Um... to continue indefinately, or at least until we come up with something worse.

If it is just kids they probably had not comprehended the scale of what they were doing, until they had done it. By which point, it is naturally too late to do anything about it.

Yes it is wrong, but I really don't think torturing people is gonna do anyone any good.

Instead, can I suggest that we get the entire world to jump of a chair at the same time, thus knocking the earth of its orbit and subsequently sending us all back in time exactly one month. Then we can stop it from happening ... ?

Why?

I personally don't think it was my***. Whoever has done this has evaded some security and timed their hacking well and pulled off quite a coup to get the code to one of the most anticipated games ever. I Just want to know why do it?

For financial gain? No - you'll get sued into eternal bankrupcy if you tried to use the code.

Fame? No - If you let people know it was you then quite frankly I wouldn't be surprised if you wound up dead. Not a threat from me but a lot of people are anticipating this game, and not all are 100% stable.

Personal pride? - Why Valve then, surely there are more challenging targets.

Grudge? - As far as I know valve have never hurt anyone, they support the community and modders more than any other dev ever. If it was a gripe about p2p or steam then it's misfounded since it's not p2p and there is no spyware.

Competitor? - Seriously doubt it.

Ego? - Possibly but there are far better ways to boost your ego than ruining 5 years of peoples lives and completely decimating what could be the future of gaming and content.

Anarchist? - Never bought into computing anarchists, it takes quite a well structured society to make computers, it's kind of like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

I can't think of a decent reason, I really can't

(There you go Abom, in an existing thread. I can see your point but I do think that navigating a forum consisting of 4 threads all with hundreds or thousands of posts in is not easy.)

And in response to torture threads above, that isn't the answer.

Originally posted by MoJo|Night
Why?

I personally don't think it was my***. Whoever has done this has evaded some security and timed their hacking well and pulled off quite a coup to get the code to one of the most anticipated games ever. I Just want to know why do it?

For financial gain? No - you'll get sued into eternal bankrupcy if you tried to use the code.

Fame? No - If you let people know it was you then quite frankly I wouldn't be surprised if you wound up dead. Not a threat from me but a lot of people are anticipating this game, and not all are 100% stable.

Personal pride? - Why Valve then, surely there are more challenging targets.

Grudge? - As far as I know valve have never hurt anyone, they support the community and modders more than any other dev ever. If it was a gripe about p2p or steam then it's misfounded since it's not p2p and there is no spyware.

Competitor? - Seriously doubt it.

Ego? - Possibly but there are far better ways to boost your ego than ruining 5 years of peoples lives and completely decimating what could be the future of gaming and content.

Anarchist? - Never bought into computing anarchists, it takes quite a well structured society to make computers, it's kind of like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

I can't think of a decent reason, I really can't

(There you go Abom, in an existing thread. I can see your point but I do think that navigating a forum consisting of 4 threads all with hundreds or thousands of posts in is not easy.)

And in response to torture threads above, that isn't the answer.
I think its a combination of it being the most anticipated game of the past year, and it was done by some low life who thought it would be funny, prime examples (i'm not laying the blame) are the myfag0ts!

i reckon i've figured it out!!

remember that guy, the star wars kid, i mean he was pretty pissed right, so what better way to get back at the interent community than this... but keep away he is armed and dangerous...

It's probably just a big advertising gimmick :p i mean look how much anticipation and stir its causing...

Man - I feel like buying the collectors edition now, valve has to make up all the money they will lose due to the leak.

Also - I am a little angry at valve for keeping such important information in such an unsecure location.

Maybe they didn't keep the information in a network connected to the internet.

They could have had a wireless network that was connected to the internet and a wired network that was not connected.

Then, someone takes their wireless laptop and hooks it up to the source network to do some work... but forgets to disable their wireless network connection and accidentally forms a bridge between the two networks.

Don't go blaming people until you have the facts... and right now, none of us do.

Valve can't be blamed for haveing something stolen off them, unless they caused it to happpen through a complete lack of reasponsibuility. Which I really don't think is the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back