HL2 Survey plus more this wednesday!

I just got the update.

It went as smooth as a babies bottom. Why do i never have problems with Steam but all you guys do? Is it just because i'm cool and smart?

Something like that... only different........

Anyway, mine more or less works now. I can't play games yet because I still dont have the damned email.

But the most annoying part is that I have lost my old account in the process.... Dont as me how I did it lol!

I just hope that doesnt steel my CD-Key. And I have this horrible feeling it has :(

Mr-Fusion said:
I just got the update.

It went as smooth as a babies bottom. Why do i never have problems with Steam but all you guys do? Is it just because i'm cool and smart?

Nah, it's because your dumb and ugly, and if something did go wrong you wouldn't be able to work out how to fix it :p ;)

Mine updated fine first time, the verification e-mail is taking its time though :s

Wow!

Looks like I will never ever get Half Life 2 if this is the distribution system that I am going to be using to get it...

:(

reinstalled, its updating now... we'll see how it goes from there.
i dont think that uninstall/reinstall is the best way to update a product, personally.

Especially when the Uninstall/Reinstall program crashes more than the program itself....

I love the concept of steam.
But I really really hate steam right now.

southparksam said:
Wow!

Looks like I will never ever get Half Life 2 if this is the distribution system that I am going to be using to get it...

:(

Well, you see there is a way to get it without using Steam, it's difficult and risky, but bear with me. You see in the "outside world" there are these things called "shops" and these "shops" sell "things". One of these "things" will be "Half-Life 2"

If you choose to make the long perilous journey "down the street" then for gods sake take lots of supplies, that's all the advice I can give, good luck!

Heheh, just so you lot know

Steampowered.com is bk up....

But the forums are still flooded... :(

mortiz said:
Well, you see there is a way to get it without using Steam, it's difficult and risky, but bear with me. You see in the "outside world" there are these things called "shops" and these "shops" sell "things". One of these "things" will be "Half-Life 2"

If you choose to make the long perilous journey "down the street" then for gods sake take lots of supplies, that's all the advice I can give, good luck!

which is why i never understood the use of steam in the first place.

Because it cuts out the publisher so the game is likely to be cheaper on steam....

Also there are a bizilion other reasons for steam like anti cheat and anti piracy but I can't be arsed right now :)

Well steam can deliver the game to places where shops wont get them on the first day or ever.

Anyone get thier confirmation email yet? I've tried it like seven times, and it kept saying it failed to make a request for email verification. Then it just finally said it sent one like 5 minutes ago, but it has yet to come!

I'm guessing that you have to get the verification to get to buy options! Anyone know yet?

I never had to reinstall steam...

Hm, And still havn't gotten my confirmation email

(This is the most activity on these forums i've seen in a long time :D )

marksmanHL2 :) said:
Because it cuts out the publisher so the game is likely to be cheaper on steam....

Also there are a bizilion other reasons for steam like anti cheat and anti piracy but I can't be arsed right now :)

not to mention allowing people to develope and market their games without having to pay the high publisher fees. Games such as www.burningsea.com .

well, all it took for me was a little persistance. it wouldn't connect, so i just tried over and over, maybe 10, 15 times, and then bam, i got in. no problems, no reinstalls, no nothing.

/me grins

I have the confirmation email. It didn't seem to do anything at all. Nothing about the buying of games or anything. All it did was confirm you put in a real address and said that would be where they would contact you if needed in the future. Just and email check...

I have a Steam error it says
"Unable to connect to the Steam network. Offline mode is unavailable because the 'Exit and logout; option was used when you last exited Steam.
(Um, no, I hit Ctr Alt Del because it kept crashing)

You will not be able to use Steam until you can connect to the Steam network again. For support please vist Steampowered.com

Jeeze, I go to log in and when I type my password and hit enter, it freezes...every...single...time. Steam's a good idea, but until it's stable, I'm gonna take a screenshot of it in Paint and write DIE! over it in big fat red letters. I think I'll go do that now.

csmighty, i'd just wait a bit. steam content servers are getting hammered. probably tomorrow you'll have no problems

update and everything worked fine for me, maybe I was just lucky? Then again, I live in seattle so maybe I get more bandwidth or something....

man, steampowered.com is so packed....

Can anyone even get in?

i bet we suprised valve with our excitement to get this update. goes to show just how much were craving info.

looks like steampowered is taking a beating.

maybe it'll be back later.

EDIT: I spoke too soon. It's back up and running fast. content servers are still taking a beating though.

i waited about a half hour for that confirmation email.

So much for Steam being a great marketing tool against EA's "flawed and crappy" marketing.

*cough*

Don't judge Steam based on it's performance or stability just after an upgrade. By this weekend at the latest it should be fine, although for me and probably most other users it's already working fine.

Maybe I've been lucky but I haven't had a lot of problems or crashes with Steam, at least not on the days of updates, but when the stability is normal.

The same thing happened the old way for releasing.

Webservers hosting a half-life update or CS update would get totally hammered. Slow speeds, yadada. At least this way you don't have to trawl through lots of sites looking for a working link.

No problems here. I just waited until I was off work and let ya'll fight the crowds. :D

The only problem I had was some kind of error I got when I started it up. Deleting the SteamUI.dll fixed it for me. They sould really find a way to let more people on the Steampowered forums at once; that's where I found the answer to my problem.

Looking at that hardware survey... a lot of people are going to have to upgrade to play HL2 properly...

I have yet to try running Steam since it updated last night. *crosses fingers*

Back