Hostile Freedom

No problem. You can create whatever you wish. And about the help, thanks, I will keep you in mind.

I'm sketching what I'm thinking of as a prisoner right now and what I'm picturing is sort of your standard prisoner (gruff/scruffy) but with bits of technology mixed in. Any thoughts?

And now I'm thinking.... are you going to do things similar to classes? Because if you were, do you think it'd be neat to have a prisoner that's partially cybernetic? Maybe special vision powers (like xray or infared) or maybe even go so far as to give him a gun or something for a hand...

Ok, I'll edit this one more time.. I was just re-reading the stuff about this mod, and this probably won't fit but after seeing the flying things in the hl2 video don't you think it'd be sweet if there were a prisoner with say... a set of cybernetic wings? It may very well just be me, but when I picture this guy with a gun and metal wings coming down on me, I drool.

Cybernetics, perhaps. I mean it is possible especially with the time period and the circumstances on Hammerstein. But from a design stand point, I'm not really going for immortal type characters. I understand the fun factor involved with having cybernetics, but the realistic aspect of combat is what I'm going for. Not like "one hit kills" but rather what goes on in your typical battle.

The classes part; sounds splendid; I was always a fan of classes, but the game doesn't require them as players can basically make thier own classes with the variety of equipment and weapons that will be included as the game [development wise] progresses. Example: equipment to fix damaged vehicles will be available for players wanting to be an engineer or portable medic-kits for your medic type player. It all boils down to the development philosophy of giving players [users] the "freedom" to play how they wish without any restrictions.

Smoke Grenade Unarmed

smokegrenunarmed.gif

Squeeze the middle

Smoke Grenade Armed

smokegrenarmed.gif

Just remember - these arent meant to be proper models, only expressions of design ideas

That I know and nice. A bit rounded, but overall, nice work.

Noodly--You can help by making a forum or get a forum going. Preferably Ikonboard or whichever you can do. I'd do it but my time is limited to focusing on getting the entire world of Hammerstein written and fleshed out. If you can get it setup, file directories and all that--I can hand it over to the webmaster and he can upload it to the server.

I've actually written a forum for my clan site but it's not 100%. You could grab phpBB. I'ts free and insanely easy to set up. (You upload the files and run the install.php file)
You can get it here if you like:
http://www.phpbb.com/downloads.php

And once I'm done with mine I could show it to you and you can see which you prefer. Also, if you're interested I've got a few scripts that create image galleries and let the admin upload images. If you'd like them just let me know and I can zip/upload them to my server and you can just grab them from there.

I don't have ICQ but my AIM SN is NoodlyGod. I can create an ICQ account if that's better for you.

HI noodly, mmm
I am the webguy or whatever, and thx for the scripting help, but all under controll :)
i got a ready news system(pretty basic, but it works :) )
i dont think we will need a forum, as advanced as phpBB..it will just be waste of space..instead i've made a tiny mesage kinda bord, wich i think will be perfect for the purpose :)

btw the idea with the guy metal wings is neat ! :)

and nice modelling of the grenade :)

Alrighty, sounds good. =) Once I find a regular #2 pencil I sketch some stuff, any other ideas? -Noodly

No, we need a robust forum because it will keep our community connected. A simple message board is only good for comments and suggestions.

Let me just lay out how I did my forum real quick so Nost can make his own if he likes. (I know I struggled for a while figuring out how I was going to do it.)

Basically it works like this:

There are 3 tables, categories, topics and replies. They are layed out like this:

CATEGORIES
id
title
description

TOPICS
id
title
body
user
date
catid //Category id

REPLIES
id
title
body
user
date
topicid //topic id

There are a couple of other things I added to the newer version I've been working on but I just can't remember them. This ought to cover the basic principle.

So, to list all the categories it's the basic

SELECT * FROM categories

query. (then the loop and array to display them)

For the topics it's
SELECT * FROM TOPICS WHERE catid = '$id'

(The id being passed from the url)

For replies it follows the same theme:

SELECT * FROM replies WHERE topicid='$id'

And then the rest of it, it's a really simple branched forum system that works pretty well. If you'd like I can email you the source but I don't want to just post it here because it's not really secure =) If you'd like to see it in action just go to:
http://sn.focuslost.com and check out the forum.

Edit: I lied, my forum appears to be broken... I'll have to dink with it. (I think it's just because I was naming things with the .inc convention, not realizing that all someone has to do is point their browser at that file and they can see the source so I renamed the files)

will this be solely be human on human, meaning no aliens or things of that vein? , and will it be possible to have a 3rd party like bounty hunters/assassins, and last but not least , Hi I'm new here

Human versus Human. And no 3rd parties--we assume our character has a badass story like being a hardcore mercenary 10 years before. And welcome to the forums.

Hey Noodly, I get this when I try to access that forum:

Warning: main(/home/noodlygod/www/sn/includes/memfunc.inc): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/noodlygod/www/sn/forum/view.php on line 3

Fatal error: main(): Failed opening required '/home/noodlygod/www/sn/includes/memfunc.inc' (include_path='') in /home/noodlygod/www/sn/forum/view.php on line 3

You may have a problem.

Ok, maybe i didn't make myself clear :)
i have a forum, it is very simple(thats why i compared to a tagwall)
the only thing not there, is categories, and users... categories could easely be made, but still cant figure out how to do a user sysytem :)

im bored, so im gonna put something up tonight...
link will be on the news page ;)

UPDATE: www.hostile-freedom.juveniles.dk/forum.php

wohooo :)

Had an idea for the Warcheck SMG

Kinda like a hybrid between a double-barrled Mac 10 and the Cyclone from Perfect Dark (the clip went in from the side and got fed through) Havent done any drawing (if you can call my art that ;)) yet, last exam is in 1 day and then i have the rest of the week off so i'll get out my wax crayons ;)

Will this be multiplayer only? It seems like...like it needs a detective in it...

Has anyone read any cyberpunk detective stories? "Altered Carbon" comes to mind. Check it up on www.amazon.com. anyhow, I'll be writing fanfics for this in a little bit. Detective style.

detective

A lamp guttered over the abandoned alleyway. Levitating over the street on a graviton-deflector plate, it gave up for the night as the clock, figuratively speaking of course, struck nine. It swiftly socketed itself into its holder for the night. After all, the solar cells on top had their limits.

A rat skittered across the newly-darkened alley as I leaned against the wall. A Hammerstein cigar pulsed dully in the dark as breathed in the smoke. Despite being a newly-minted world, Hammerstein's addictive substances were already as good or better than the Old-World products. Nothing like a new solar system to add flavor to a boring plant.

I had been waiting all day for this moment. Now is when the night-life comes alive. Now is when the case would open up, and, more importantly, I could open up some mouths with well-placed credits. Maybe I'd get a few job offers; maybe I'd get a few clues. Either way, paying for a few alcoholics' drinks was profitable, paradoxivally.

I made my move towards the bar. Inside, a miasma of heat, beer, and other unnameable subtances assaulted my nose. Their siege was in vain. I'd been here before.

I took a seat next to a loud, fat man whose flabs bounced somewhat, even in the high gravity of Hammerstein. He was yapping about some assassination that had taken place in a high-ranking crime organization. A single knife-wound in the base of the skull, into the brains. Scrambled the guy's grey-matter. Interesting. This was my case. More interesting was the fact that it was completely hush-hush, and no one, especially no fat man on the streets was supposed to know about this. It had happened approximately 23 hours ago, too soon to hit the streets. Furthermore, video records had been erased in the attack and there was no evidence of intrusion in the building. Something was going down.

Something big was happening, and a fat man was talking about it animatedly.

I looked at the man's drinking buddy, and drinking buddy he was, without a doubt. He was out cold on the smooth, imported wood, with a small puddle of alcohol and spittle gathering at his mouth. Intuiting that the fat man would be more expressive with a more interested drinking buddy, I ordered a drink and handed it over with a casual, "Really now? That's interesting. Keep going." The fat man positively lit up at the offer and began spouting rumors once more. I'd already heard most of it, but then he got to the interesting part.

"...and the real puzzle," he whispered conspirationally, "is why they hired the killer. After all, they were the-"

A sudden burst of gunfire shattered the relatively familiar sound of drinking, arguing, and laughter. A deadly silence fell over the bar. I cocked my head towards the source of sound, replaying it in my mind. That was a Spitfire assault rifle, commonly handed out to Opanara Marines. The sharp, staccato beat of my younger years was unmistakeable.

In the bar, a single word was uttered, in a mix of contempt, awe, and, most prevalently, fear.

"Opanara..."

Then all hell broke loose. A mob suddenly formed out of the confusion and shifted towards the exits. People were trampled underfoot as the raging sea surged towards the doors.

I sighed, still seated. The most tantalizing tidbit of information, snatched form my waiting grasp. Who killed Illian Stuhr? The fat man knew, but the fat man was exiting the building. I rubbed my cigarette between thumb and forefinger, then dropped it into the fat man's drink. It went out with a protesting hiss.

When the Opanaras burst through the door, I was gone. The bar was empty save for a few drunks.

Meanwhile, the detonator I'd placed on the roof ticked down. I held a few grudges. Just a few.

Well, I'm impressed by this vividly told tale of fan-fiction. The world of Hammerstein is vibrant and holds many tales of its own and this one could very well hold its own ground. Excellent.

IRC Chat:

Server: irc.gamers-net.com
or: irc.darkdreamz.com
Channel: #hostilefreedom

Originally posted by Stitch
IRC Chat:

Server: irc.gamers-net.com
or: irc.darkdreamz.com
Channel: #hostilefreedom

Why not quakenet? I dont feel like writing /server -m irc.gamers-net.com all the time :)

Just add it to your server list. Lazy bastard! :)

Characters:

:: Characters are NPC's in the game world that are introduced to the players through scripted events. No one player can play any of these characters. The players play the low-ranking marines or hostiles and are given orders by the higher ranking characters ::

General Robert Vermala - Active commander on the Hammerstein operation. Vermala is a highly decorated general that has seen the back sides of war from corruption to treason. He has survived World War III after being the first force to be sent into the hot bed secretly known as, Iron Glass. Iron for being virtually impenetrable and glass for anyone being able to see it. His military would sky rocket from there.

After two other successful operations, Operation: Red Filth and Operation: Electric Blanket, Robert Vermala was awarded the prestigious Medal of Honor. He was then put in charge of a crack commando team called the First Line. This is where he met, Kane Hammerstein, a man who later went on to become a general. Roberts life continued through the military from one operation to another until he earned his rank as a General.

...more to come. Ran out of time--stay tuned.

wow , thats all i can say, if the story is this good i hope the mod will be to.

Sounds ****ing awesome, i will support this mod most definately.:cheers:

One tip that will enhance online play: Dont make any guns like the awp on Counter-Strike, everymap ends up turning into an awpfest, its gay when it happens. Will it have a buy system like CS?

Reading thru this all, i have concluded something; How is this going to be multi player, the story is awesome, but wouldnt you get tired of it everytime you log onto a server? Just my opinion, but i may be looking at it the wrong way.

:bounce: <- He is bouncing. Looks fun don' it?

As for the AWP, my sniper design could eliminate that as its in a fixed position, the range can be limited and the person operating it could be quite at risk staying in the same place for ages

And the irc channel, i'll be idling in #hostilfreedom on quakenet if you cant be arsed to use darkdreamz

The story, i suspect it will be at a players discretion if they read it before they play the game. Stitch said that you can play maps in any order, it doesnt have to be how it is in the story

i personally would play them in order, just to get the whole story and or feel

hrm i see, sounds awesome, cant wait. *first in line for beta testing* I called it already!:afro:

srry for this (I am in a "comment about the mod website" mood)

but please change the filling fromm the letters in the menu into white. it will be much easier to read then.

Do you guys think either of these shapes would work for the rear jet engine on the transport ship?

engine.jpg

ooo that looks nice! is there any chance you could zoom in a bit closer/get a different angle?

I've had an idea for the other sniper rifle, got nothing on paper yet tho :/

*Sorry didnt realise it was too shapes :S personally i like the silver one

Yeah I can change the angle a bit if you like, I just sketched out the drop ship I'm picturing but the power cord for my scanner has fallen off the face of the planet.

I may run down to the computer store I used to work at and just scan it there but I can't remember if that scanner is hooked up to any machines. So we'll see, I don't know if I want to keep modelling for a design that may or may not meet approval. (I based it off of your design, it's just more 3d)

I'll probably just keep playing with the program and get a bit more familiar with it. (I still can't believe they released a free version of XSI, it's 4,000 dollar software)

Heres another angle/zoom of the silver engine:

engine2.jpg

Alright, I made yet another one and this is probably the one I'll keep playing with.

engine3.jpg

engine4.jpg

Slick!.. it looks to me that softimage is a great and powerfull modeling tool. Any comments on the feel off the program?

Well, it takes some getting used too. I learned modeling with what I think is actually a much older version of it and it's drastically different. Not so much in what it can do but where the tools are located etc. I still can't find a "knife" or "csg subtract" tool.

I would definetly say it's well worth the download so if you're curious and you're not on a modem give it a go. (The last set of engines took the longest to make and it took probably 15 minutes or so and that's just because I couldn't find some things)

One thing that takes getting used to is the "Freeze" button on the lower right. If you create a shape by revolving or extruding from a line/basic shape any changes you make to the original are applied to the 3d model until you freeze it. (including deleting) So if you don't remember to freeze it and you delete your basic shape you loose your 3d shape. (You can undo, it's just something I've done several times because I'm not used to it)

From everything I've seen in the tutorials and helpfiles and even the demo scenes that come with it, it's pretty amazing software.

Back