Can you simulate a gumball machine?

stuff like that.

Can you simulate tiny dominos?

Originally posted by robo2tony
How small?

stuff like that.

Doesn't matter how small, it matters how many. 10,000 dominos would probably not work very well.

Yes, the havok engine can simulate anything no-matter how small.

welcome to hl2.net forums. where people post what they feel like, and they dont care about what other people think about it. have a nice day!

It could be a minigame in itself, trying to drop your quarter into the machine correctly in order to get a taste of that sweet sweet morsel from inside!

Originally posted by Raziaar
Mods do <chuckles>

Oh yes, mods will ban you because you talk about crap, wow do I get a 3 hour ban for using words like "pee-pee" or "poopy"?

or finding a way to get your quarter back out.. or maybe faking a quarter somehow to trick the machine into giving you some chew balls

or it could just be a easy example of a complex physics issue that would look really cool if done right.

Some species shouldn't interbreed...

Originally posted by Raziaar
It could be a minigame in itself, trying to drop your quarter into the machine correctly in order to get a taste of that sweet sweet morsel from inside!

Then you attract headgrabs with the smell of gumballs which come and jump on your head and makes you in a zombie...

I do think the physics have some kind of limited precision. For instance if the system can calculate the fall of a crate with a precision of 0.1 centimeters the fall of a gumball would have much less accuracy with 0.1 centimeters precision. I doubt all the physics will be calculated with 20 numbers behind the comma.

what if you had 2 guys with manipulators trying to manipulate the same crate hmmm

Atoms... Pff... It goes as small as super strings... Very powerfull stuff.

Originally posted by lhauert
Atoms... Pff... It goes as small as super strings... Very powerfull stuff.

Yeah, any idea how to model something on a quantum level? Our vision of the world doesn't even apply on that sort of scale. Not to mention a superstring has more than 3 dimensions.

What are you guys talking about, city17 is only one of the many cities in the many countries of earth in hl2 all rendered in one single level.

Originally posted by robo2tony
How small?

stuff like that.

lol there is a method to his madness!

Good idea, what most people dont understand (albeit some developers also!) is that in a FPS decals are very important, you might laugh but the origional max payne was severly sweetened by the 'woo-type' bullet holes and particle anims which were vastly overexaggerated but gave you a feel that these virtual 9mm's were doing some damage, a shattering gumball machine would be a nice addition to the decals for bullet damage, the falling over and shattering and the water-like spread across the ground of the gum would be a nice addition.

whether or not there would be any gumball machines in city 17 is a different story, they get stuck in the combines masks apparently

Yeah, that's why HL2 is delayed. Valve is trying to push the engine to go as far as say, at last 11 dimentions. In fact, When you think about it, the game is just delay in our time dimension, but not theirs.

It never was.

Originally posted by lhauert
Yeah, that's why HL2 is delayed. Valve is trying to push the engine to go as far as say, at last 11 dimentions. In fact, When you think about it, the game is just delay in our time dimension, but not theirs.

It never was.

Good point.

Some species shouldn't interbreed...

You can probably do very small things. Your CPU is the limitation.

PvtRyan's right, it's a matter of precision. So it's not a question of absolute scale, but relative scales. If you optimize for the behavior of objects much larger than the avatar by using a low precision, then you'll make small object behavior either impossible, inaccurate, computationaly more intensive than need be, or all three. Doing the opposite, using high precision, will make the behavior of large objects unnecessarily accurate and thus very expensive, even if just simple forms.

Originally posted by nw909
Yes, the havok engine can simulate anything no-matter how small.

Havok engine? I thought HL2 used the Soruce Engine!

I think it would be pretty cool to make a gumball machine in HL2. You could smash the glass with a crowbar and watch the gumballs roll everywhere. It would be even funnier if your character tripped while walking through them.

Originally posted by StickFigs
Havok engine? I thought HL2 used the Soruce Engine!
The Source engine is powered by "Havok 2" physics.

Originally posted by not28
I think it would be pretty cool to make a gumball machine in HL2. You could smash the glass with a crowbar and watch the gumballs roll everywhere. It would be even funnier if your character tripped while walking through them.
You should be able to roll across the top of them... because someone at Valve said you could do that trick with barrels.

If my computer is limiting HL2 then I will inject the game into my veins and BE the game.

*frees mind*

*implodes*

hmmm, are physics actually being processed by the gpu or the cpu, thus limited by which processing unit?

Originally posted by PvtRyan
Yeah, any idea how to model something on a quantum level? Our vision of the world doesn't even apply on that sort of scale. Not to mention a superstring has more than 3 dimensions.

I think the Havoc physics engine only goes as far as 3 dimensions =)

Originally posted by freddythefrog
hmmm, are physics actually being processed by the gpu or the cpu, thus limited by which processing unit?

processed and limited by the CPU.

Originally posted by Nuclear_Gerber
I think the Havoc physics engine only goes as far as 3 dimensions =)

ughhh that would be a major bug 2 demensions and the third one time
I think havok does 4 (3 plus time)

Originally posted by poseyjmac
welcome to hl2.net forums. where people post what they feel like, and they dont care about what other people think about it. have a nice day!

No, no they don't :)

Back