I don't like water splash in docks video

Llevar

Reaction score
I think it looks really cheezy and hl1-ish. They could have done something better than showing a decal.

It may be place holder art

I thought that. I also thought that they might not care about it enough to spend the time doing realistic water splashes. I know I wouldn't.

splash.jpg

They didn't develop realistic water physics because that's one of the hardest things to do.
Thus they need to use a decal.

Yeah I was hoping that splash was placeholder art as well. I'm kinda doubting it though :(

Another complaint of mine: the texture alignment on the dock itself. The edge should be the end of one of the planks, but instead the texture begins to repeat itself and you are left with about 1/8 of a plank that is awkwardly cut off. Hopefully they won't make careless mistakes like that in the final version.

HAHA that was a great resonse peks, i totally agree w/ u. BTW is there any other super small detail u guys can complain about sheesh.

I was disapointed with it as well. No splash disappears that quickly. Theres should ripples in the water for a lot longer than there is.

I think everything looks pretty damn cool, myself. No, it's not perfect, but who cares. It's all cool as hell!

Originally posted by symptom
Yeah I was hoping that splash was placeholder art as well. I'm kinda doubting it though :(

Another complaint of mine: the texture alignment on the dock itself. The edge should be the end of one of the planks, but instead the texture begins to repeat itself and you are left with about 1/8 of a plank that is awkwardly cut off. Hopefully they won't make careless mistakes like that in the final version.

the part of the dock pictured in that picture is broken...looks when hes walking towards the zombie..the plank is ripped in half longways...the texture is supposed to be cut off.

I watched the video again, and I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to be broken. There are some missing planks here and there (which have more texture alignment problems), but most of them don't appear to be broken. If they were broken, I think Valve would have used some sort of transparent texture with a more jagged edge...

I think the splash is fine, and I also like the green blood effect when you hit the zombie with the crowbar, mostly because its like the effect from HL1. I like the fact that you know when you've hit and when you haven't by an effect.

Originally posted by symptom
I watched the video again, and I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to be broken. There are some missing planks here and there (which have more texture alignment problems), but most of them don't appear to be broken. If they were broken, I think Valve would have used some sort of transparent texture with a more jagged edge...

its broken:

broken.jpg

looks like someone took a knife and cut it out. even the plank next to it makes no sense to be missing.... odd

why is the board in the middle missing u can see the line going down the center someone would of had to sawed it out wtf lol

immersion

Damn it's hard to be a designer with people picking on the most minute details. I bet people said the Sistine chapel was gaudy. I think this game looks awesome, sure it's not perfect to real life but it's a quantum leap in the right direction. I can't wait to immerse myself in this - 5 years in the making - project.

:cheers:

5 years.....thats the bad part, the horribly long production times, theres going to be a lot less games coming out, but hopefully the ones that do come out will be better

If you want to see some cool water effects go play in your bathtub, throw some wood into....Maybe it will float!

Originally posted by Gargus
If you want to see some cool water effects go play in your bathtub, throw some wood into....Maybe it will float!

What kind of video card do i need for this? :cheese:

Originally posted by LoneDeranger
I think the texture artist made the boards the wrong size.

seems like it. will probably be fixed if it hasnt already.

Real-time water splashes has never been done anywhere because they are impossible to do! Maybe there's a way to fake it well.

that part of the plank does look dodgy... and it seems sawed off; however, if you look on the opposite side of the dock, there seems to be a part missing there too, but I don't think we will know for sure if that's an error unless you see the dock from a different view, like 4ft further up with the camera looking in the other direction

Originally posted by chili pepper
Real-time water splashes has never been done anywhere because they are impossible to do! Maybe there's a way to fake it well.
they can simulate atomic explosions down to the atomic level. in computers CLOSE to real time
so i think water is not that far away

Originally posted by ValVed RaY
they can simulate atomic explosions down to the atomic level. in computers CLOSE to real time
so i think water is not that far away

Those computers are the size of a house and cost $400,000,000.

Those computers are the size of a house and cost $400,000,000.
lol thanks for that atomic explosion example... but we're talking mainstream comps... not gigaflops

tetabits?

haha..that reminds me of Alyx, i dunno why

Off to sleep with me ! Good night...lol

I think it looks really cheezy and hl1-ish. They could have done something better than showing a decal.
I dont think there are splashes in HL1.

HL2 uses particles for the water splashes, which is much better looking than some stupid 2D sprite. Still, it's true that it doesn't look quite as good as most of the effects in the game. Anyone have ideas on how it could be improved? Bigger ripples would help I guess. And maybe having part of the splash made of geometry instead of particles... I don't know, that might make it look worse.

Originally posted by Falco
I think the splash is fine, and I also like the green blood effect when you hit the zombie with the crowbar, mostly because its like the effect from HL1. I like the fact that you know when you've hit and when you haven't by an effect.

omg how could you like that cheesy geen blood effect?
it seems so half assed, i feel they could have done something better, more realistic looking than that for hit detection. its so outdated imo. hopefully its just a 'replacement sprite' as it seems this is the theory for a lot of things in the e3 vid (ie the weapon models in 3rd person view, etc)

Yeah, it doesn't look bad though. Quite nice to look at anyway... the water is fantastic.

ok some one plz go beat up a zombie (w/ a crowbar preferably) and video tape him falling into the water then send it to valve so they can see exactly how it works. Until that happens i think its just fine the way it is. But they already said the green blob thingy squirting outta the zombie is a stand in. So there.

how about they just flop a person in, same idea, same effect.

Originally posted by Mac84
omg how could you like that cheesy geen blood effect?
it seems so half assed, i feel they could have done something better, more realistic looking than that for hit detection. its so outdated imo. hopefully its just a 'replacement sprite' as it seems this is the theory for a lot of things in the e3 vid (ie the weapon models in 3rd person view, etc)

Yeah, valve spent 5 years on this game and their still going to use out of place art from their previous game. Give me a break, i dont think these are the movies which show you how the game will work when its finished, those come after the same e3 vids

Back