Magazine coverage of HL2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sooo... they signed an NDA to make sure they didn't release any of the new information they don't have? Surely not... there has GOT to be something in there new, something in there worth signing an NDA for... If not I will go berserk....

Isn't there supposed to be an interview? There has got to be some new stuff in there right? Would be kinda retarded to ask questions which we already have the answers to.

Is there anyone with a straight answer at all? We're getting completely mixed replies here.

They signed an NDA. So obviously, there is something new. What it is and how much of it, we'll have to wait. But try to take comfort in that there is something new.

Hey if PC Games germany thingy can post new info and screenshots i think PC Zone can, i am waiting till i see it myself

Hard to believe nobody can obtain a copy of these magazines. Magazines which may have no useful information :E

Abom said:
Is there anyone with a straight answer at all? We're getting completely mixed replies here.

I'm sort of amazed that the guy at the PC Zone forum is apparently the only guy with the magazine and an internet connection.
On the other hand though, he has 1500 posts on that board, you generally don't seen those people posting completely made up stuff.

mrchimp, I can see you added 3 new scans to your page. From PC Action I see? They look nice, the first one is probably from the first level where the combine watch you with suspicion. A bit saturated though, but that's probably the scanner.

PvtRyan said:
mrchimp, I can see you added 3 new scans to your page. From PC Action I see? They look nice, the first one is probably from the first level where the combine watch you with suspicion. A bit saturated though, but that's probably the scanner.

TBH all of these new three images look crap, in terms of geometry, details, and textures, may be it is because of scans :rolling: Looking forward to high resolution media whenever it is released.

Damn I thought the NDA was until 29th so I didn't go out to get my pcgameplay. Now the day after tommorow is as all the dutchies here now is QUEENS DAY (no not a gay parade). So stores are closed bwhhhahahahahha. And tommorow I don't have time to go and pick up the mag.

XenoSpirit said:
can someone scan the mag and post it on here since some ppl like me dont have the time/monney/transport to go to the local books-a-million to pick it up

This is against forum policies, so no go on the scans.

wow mr chimp those 3 new ones are cool, ty for wasting ur bandwidth on us :D

Naveed said:
TBH all of these new three images look crap, in terms of geometry, details, and textures, may be it is because of scans :rolling: Looking forward to high resolution media whenever it is released.

The first pic lacks a bit on geometry I agree, on the left wall. But textures look fine, the combine models look cool too. These are the first shots on that new combine type isn't it?
But I'm not sure whether I like that APC, it lacks a bit of the coolness factor that the chopper, gunship and strider have.

The second one looks odd, but that's because the ground is green, which is pretty logical that moss and algae grow on the wet soil of a dry lake.
The buggy looks totally different from the one seen in coastline, maybe because it's an early version and it gets upgraded throughout the game.

The third looks by far the best, same quality as tunnels and bugbait. Nice lighting and textures.

with larger maps its difficult to have super detailed geometry, im a shamless fanboy lol, i like the look of that APC its like the buggy with body armour, the last shot is my favorite, id like a fullscreen high res version of it for a desktop background hehe.

I think the colors are a bit screwed in these scans, the buggy looks bright orange lol in that second pic, but otherwise everythings fine to me.

those 3 new ones HAVE to be from the leak.... they are abhorent.
totally lacking in flair, polish or any detailed geometry...
Im hoping they arent from the recent showing at Valve... probably a crappy magazing showing really old leak material.

I HOPE... :/

Glo-Boy said:
Mr chimp! Do I see what I think I see on the last pic....??

What do you mean? Is it the cs comment? I'm not sure how that is meant, 'Sensation: Mitspieler in Counter-Strike gefunden' but I hardly think it's anything important.

Just a 'funny' comment, just like the Dutch power Unlimited does...

i translated it to "Sensation: partners in Counter-struck found" i think its a joke about the look of the screenshot as a whole lol, nothing to do with CS itself.

Mr. Redundant said:
those 3 new ones HAVE to be from the leak.... they are abhorent.
totally lacking in flair, polish or any detailed geometry...
Im hoping they arent from the recent showing at Valve... probably a crappy magazing showing really old leak material.

I HOPE... :/

I agree they look abysmal, somehow they don't have HL2 magic in it, just look at 2nd screenshot, may be it looks so bad because we see it out of context but it is mediocre at best.

For **** sake! You ignorant bastards! Dutch != German!!!! Dutch is the language spoken in Belgium & Holland. German is the language spoken in Germany. Can you Americans PLEASE KEEP THAT IN MIND. Gosh, so stupid.

Edit || And btw i'm not so sure about the beta leak thingie.. I never saw a map anything like this in the beta + the tank on the first pic has never been seen by anyone i think.

... im not american im british, but my stupidity is noted, i apologise.

(Its all double dutch to me)

Lobster said:
i translated it to "Sensation: partners in Counter-struck found" i think its a joke about the look of the screenshot as a whole lol, nothing to do with CS itself.

Yeah I know that, was a typo 'i hardly doubt its anything important' but I meant 'I hardly think its anything important'.
What did Glo-Boy mean then?

And Redundant, what'd you expect then? Some total makeover since last E3? It's not anything less detailed than Barricade.

Lobster said:
... im not american im british, but my stupidity is noted, i apologise.

(Its all double dutch to me)

Sorry to be so angry about this but it's really annoying to like hear this 7851 times a year. :)

PvtRyan said:
The first pic lacks a bit on geometry I agree, on the left wall. But textures look fine, the combine models look cool too. These are the first shots on that new combine type isn't it?
But I'm not sure whether I like that APC, it lacks a bit of the coolness factor that the chopper, gunship and strider have.

The second one looks odd, but that's because the ground is green, which is pretty logical that moss and algae grow on the wet soil of a dry lake.
The buggy looks totally different from the one seen in coastline, maybe because it's an early version and it gets upgraded throughout the game.

The third looks by far the best, same quality as tunnels and bugbait. Nice lighting and textures.

In first screenshot just look at the 2 standing back, for some reasons quality is really bad, they just look like sprites, I am sure it is because of scan.

Second one is beyond explanation, in any case it doesn't looked polished at all.

Third one is much better no doubt, but may be it is due to scans that place looks very ordinary.

@ flupke - Chill, we all know Americans don’t have the amount of brain cells we Europeans have *its McDonalds fault you know* :naughty:

EVIL said:
Chill, we all know Americans don’t have the amount of brain cells we Europeans have *its McDonalds fault you know* :naughty:

Mwuahaha, strike

Lobster said:
wow mr chimp those 3 new ones are cool, ty for wasting ur bandwidth on us :D

hehe it's not my bandwidth thats being wasted :farmer:

Plus if loads of people add me to there MSN list it makes me look popular when I'm actually a sad sad little man :thumbs:

Everything will always be about personal taste, the people after the most super high detailed and advanced rendering engine probbally wont be happy with half-life 2, but then by the time the best is released, theres somthing else kicking its arse in videos.

Personaly ive always loved half-lifes speed and variety of gameplay, and it looks to me like Hl2 will bring all that back but with a nice modern engine, maybe not the most powerfull tech out there, but its fine for me and looks as though valve are using it in some pretty cool ways.

I think the shots actually look pretty good: they're just washed out colorwise. I don't know what people expect a wall to look like: it's a flat wall. In an alleyway. You want it to be round, maybe? Hunh?

Once they have seen the displacement feature in the unreal engine 3.0 they want it everywhere.. OMG HL2 doesnt even have displacement stuff like the next unreal game that will come out 2006 .. HL2 suxx!! .. stupid kids

I was expecting them to look better tbh, something doesn't add up, the DX9 video looked better than these, infact the early tech video looked better than these (the one that has never been released in bink). Also you can tell there isn't any HDR lighting in those picks that has been promised.

However, I would have been happy to play HL2 with only the graphics from the traptown video. Also I'v seen the UE3 video thats got to have some negative effect on my view of source.

PvtRyan said:
And Redundant, what'd you expect then? Some total makeover since last E3? It's not anything less detailed than Barricade.

I was hoping the art was touched up somewhat in the year delay, yes.
however thats not my point, the barricade and other binks are impressive (still are) but the recently released 3 pics are totally and utterly disgusting (I dont think you know which ones IM refering to)

the 3 new ones have the combine patting down some citizens, next to an ACP (its not a tank its an APC, this was in the leak)
a pic of a combine soldier in the prison map
and a pic of the Buggy in what appears to be coastline.. however the ground is green, and the buggy has no front metal covering where the engine would be in a normal car (no hood)
there was no Hood for the buggy in the leak, but THERE WAS in the E3 videos
so logically its old material..... (leak material)

unless the hacker wasnt lying and the buggy was indeed changed after E3 and has no hood... but that would mean Valve werent done etc etc...

so Im giving Valve the benefit of the doubt and just assuming this unheard of mag posted leaked material (isnt the NDA still in effect anyway?)

Redundant, I quite liked the third shot in that series of 3 (the combine in the prison map).. but I agree, the first two.. what the hell?

Mr. Redundant said:
I was hoping the art was touched up somewhat in the year delay, yes.
however thats not my point, the barricade and other binks are impressive (still are) but the recently released 3 pics are totally and utterly disgusting (I dont think you know which ones IM refering to)

the 3 new ones have the combine patting down some citizens, next to an ACP (its not a tank its an APC, this was in the leak)
a pic of a combine soldier in the prison map
and a pic of the Buggy in what appears to be coastline.. however the ground is green, and the buggy has no front metal covering where the engine would be in a normal car (no hood)
there was no Hood for the buggy in the leak, but THERE WAS in the E3 videos
so logically its old material..... (leak material)

unless the hacker wasnt lying and the buggy was indeed changed after E3 and has no hood... but that would mean Valve werent done etc etc...

so Im giving Valve the benefit of the doubt and just assuming this unheard of mag posted leaked material (isnt the NDA still in effect anyway?)

redundant... what magazine are you talking about? have we seen these pictures yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back