Manipulator Orangy'ness

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
Considering theres little to discuss, i thought id think of something actually to do with Halflife 2. I was looking through some old pictures...and had a thought about the manipulator. You see the orangy glowy thing in it that does the gravity manipulating...
http://www.halflife2.net/misc_images/weapons/w_manip.jpg

I thought looked similar to the big glass containers in this picture ( from Kleiners lab bink as well)
http://www.halflife2.net/media/displayimage.php?album=random&cat=0&pos=-17

So what is it? Is Kliener the one responsible for making the manipulator (good man if so!) Any thoughts?

i would assume so, as it has been stated that he doesnt mind you smashing up half of his lab testing it and seeing what can and cant be manipulated

rf

It could be true. I have no problem believing that Kleiner made it.

wasn't that pretty much what was stated in Codname: Gordon. (i know not official but you know...)

I'm pretty sure Kleiner made the manipulator. If you look at this one pic, I think it shows a schematic of it in Kleiner's lab.

Bait said:
I'm pretty sure Kleiner made the manipulator. If you look at this one pic, I think it shows a schematic of it in Kleiner's lab.
linkage

I bet he did, like He_Who_Is_Steve said, it was in Codename: Gordon.

Haha, one bad bit about playing the beta is that you know something other people don't, and you're just itching to tell them whether they're right or not. :LOL:

DoctorGordon said:
You evil people, who smashes up a good doctor's lab?
Gordon does!

Although I have this odd feeling that Valve might add an ammunition counter to the manipulator and have it run on the same as the Gluon gun and that other weapon.

In the Tribes Vengeance beta the grappling hook had infinite ammo, but they limited it in the demo which really disappointed me.

They BETTER NOT give ammo to the Zero Point gun! I'd hate that if they did....
Still want linkage to that schematic!

Ownzed said:
I bet he did, like He_Who_Is_Steve said, it was in Codename: Gordon.
Codename: Gordon wasn't made by Valve.

You think Valve would make a crappy game like that?

Those tubes look nothing like what's in the manipulator.
They aren't even the same orange! And even if they were, it wouldn't make sense...

Whatever, think what you want...

Fools.

You can find the pic of the manipulator schematic here.
It's underneath the magnifying glass, on the sheet of paper.

He_Who_Is_Steve said:
oh, look i said THAT, too!
Your quote is rather misleading. I would appriciate it if you didn't do that.

And you said that BEFORE the guy I quoted posted.

Another problem with most new members: They don't read the thread before posting.

(Not talking about you)

EDIT: Bait: That doesn't look much like a schematic lol, just a basic sketch..
And how can you tell that is the manipulator? :|

vegeta897 said:
Your quote is rather misleading. I would appriciate it if you didn't do that.

And you said that BEFORE the guy I quoted posted.

Another problem with most new members: They don't read the thread before posting.

(Not talking about you)
fair enough. cool beans, dude.

wow you are right! you can see the claws on it clearly. Nice one. It may not be the same orange, but two instances of orange plasma like stuff must have a connection. These pictures as well kinda proves its further.

Hectic Glenn said:
wow you are right! you can see the claws on it clearly. Nice one. It may not be the same orange, but two instances of orange plasma like stuff must have a connection. These pictures as well kinda proves its further.
But why would they need two freakin' huge TANKS of it?

vegeta897 said:
um....in case they mess up the first 100 times?

vegeta897 said:

Hey i dont know valve personally, i can see your point its a bit weird having so much, but no one knows, i think we can safely assume theres a connection between Kleiner and the manipulator, im willing to bet he made it. Vegeta all due respect to you, i wanna help you, calm please, you got a warning, i dont want you to get banned or anything :)

If u read the PC GAMER review it states that how jumping puzzles were in hl, physics puzzles are in hl2, so if they limited the ammo, there better be tons of it laying around to solve all those puzzles.....plus i think they are relying on this as a huge part of the game and it would jsut be way more fun to have unlimited amounts of lifting and shooting stuff...im not sure.
plus if u watch the BINK video of ravenholm it doesnt ahve an ammo counter, but who knows for sure?

Well, comepare the two.

Manipulator
Schematic
Personally, I think they look alike. I think I read somewhere to that others thought the same. Well, draw your own conclusions.

Hectic Glenn said:
Hey i dont know valve personally, i can see your point its a bit weird having so much, but no one knows, i think we can safely assume theres a connection between Kleiner and the manipulator, im willing to bet he made it. Vegeta all due respect to you, i wanna help you, calm please, you got a warning, i dont want you to get banned or anything :)
Ohhhh!! Is THAT why people treat me like an ass? Because I sound like I am yelling?

Please, don't be misled by my capitol letters!

Unless I start swearing, I am perfectly calm.

Does the word "freakin'" scare you or something?

Maybe YOU need to cool down.

(No, I am not frustrated right now. I am a very calm person.)

I hate when you guys get the wrong ideas. :rolleyes:

Edit: LOL Bait, yeah, I can really see the resemblence of white and white. ^^

(Pics don't work)

In that screen posted bait, it isnt a schematic of the manipulator

FFS, guys, the manipulator isn't going to have 'ammo'... :rolleyes:

Letters said:

Who said anything about ammo?

As for Vegeta, the links work fine for me. I dunno what kinda problem you are getting on your end.

Letters said:
OMG HE USED CAPITOLS AND SWEARING!!

Quick! SOMEONE TELL HIM TO CALM DOWN!!

Sigh.. See what I mean?

Back on topic...

The manipulator having ammo.. Eewwww... I think I had a nightmare about that once. ^^

Valve isn't dumb guys. I want to say this for the LAST time.
Anything that seems dumb to you, Valve can see it too. They are even smarter than you ehehe. ;)

sorry for being an ass she, but we need you now.

the orange tubes could just be colored orange, or maybe they are what's inside the manipulator. i'll be an ass and say, "we'll have to wait and see."

I bet Valve doesn't have a purpose for everything.

Those tubes just LOOK COOL. Why complicate it?

Vegeta897 said:
I hate when you guys get the wrong ideas. :rolleyes:

Happens to me all the time. Get used to it.
And people, you need to stop smoking that stuff. That schematic looks like it could be anything and VALVe like that shiny plasma alot. Of course, I also think it's Kleiner who makes the manipulator; what else would you need him for before you blast him up into the roof, Saruman style?

The picture of alyx giving you the minip would also prove it.

azz0r said:
The picture of alyx giving you the minip would also prove it.
Err... Prove what?

She is with Eli in a different lab too...

azz0r said:
The picture of alyx giving you the manip would also prove it.

Well yeah, but that's magazine content, so I thought it would be appropriate to not mention it.

Edit: Alright, apparently it was too long since I saw that picture. Remembered it as Kleiner's lab.

Kleiner didn't make it...

Kleiner isn't an expert on zero-point technology, he specializes in teleportation (Wormhole technology).

Now, I suppose he's a gifted scientist and all, but there's this picture of Alyx holding the manipulator in a lab other then kleiners, I can't find it right now...it may have been from pc-gamer uk...And the schematic is not the same...

Back