My Dad Is Just Plain Nuts

Tell him you can turn off the blood, so it's just like an E rated game.

I really feel bad for you.
Anyone saying "you're 13 you shouldn't be playing it anyway..", shut up. Just shut up. Try thinking about someone besides yourself for once in your lives.

iamaelephant said:
This thread is the equivalent of a 13 year old going to a car forum and whining because John Law won't let him drive a car.

HL2 is targeted at people 17 years and over. It's not my problem if your dad (being a reponsible parent) won't let you play. I couldn't care less.
i dont care that u dont care

I think ratings are a pile of shit, a 13 year old kid cannot play an obviously fictional game, but its fine for a 5 year old to switch on the TV during the daytime and watch people die in real world warfare.

MiccyNarc said:
Tell him you can turn off the blood, so it's just like an E rated game.

I really feel bad for you.
Anyone saying "you're 13 you shouldn't be playing it anyway..", shut up. Just shut up. Try thinking about someone besides yourself for once in your lives.

Like it or not, the game was given an M rating for a reason.

Just buy it from the black market, HL2 underground son, and play it when everyone is sleeping.. :)

And if he catches you playing, simply axe him to death and carve a lambda symbol into his back with a blunt spoon.

Alientank said:
not everyone can because your dad used to make you suck his dick when you were 5, is what messes you up and makes you go on a homicidal rampage in highschool because you're a 250 pound fatass and the kids make fun of you.
I should kill you,you know? That was the most retarted comment ever and i hope satan eats your soul.

NB. said:
I think ratings are a pile of shit, a 13 year old kid cannot play an obviously fictional game, but its fine for a 5 year old to switch on the TV during daytime the and watch people die in real world warfare.

Good point! Our TV is full of death and fear signals.. at least these games give the player a sense of confidence..

God... I'm so tired of all these "Video games make people violent!!!" people. I've been playing violent video games for years, since I was about 10, and I've only killed like 4 people.

MiccyNarc said:
Are you 13? Its not selfishness, mate. Its concern.

There is an age when most children should not be playing violent first person shooters. Personally I think somewhere between 11-13 is old enough for Half-Life 2 (depending on the kid), as long as there is proper parental supervision and ethical guidance!! Other games which reward you for being psychopatic/cruel (such as GTA), should probably be held off for a few more years, and again, be accompanied by the right amount of parental input.

You guys are making all this way to complicated, lets just ask him...
Are you gonna go on a killing spree if you play HL2 Sgt. Duffy, be honest now

god i hate idiot news reporters or politicians that think video games "Make them mass serial killers." sure, parents should watch what kids are doing, but i think by even pre-teen years they already are intelligent enough to figure out what is real and what is not. Parents need to teach their kids the way of the world, not blame games or movies or whatever. You need to look at each kid individually to tell if they are ready or not. some kids are more mature or rational at younger ages then others. Its idiotic to be like
Nov 11, 2004. age: 16 therefore game is inappropriate. Nov 12, 2004 birthday. age: 17 "ok here you go, your ready now."

I agree, I think GTA should be kept from kids under the age of 13, but I think anyone 10 or older would be able to tell the difference between killing in real life and killing in a computer game. I played Electronic Arts' Seal team when I was, I think 6 or 7 and I knew perfectly well that the people I was shooting in the game were not real. And I certainly wouldn't have tried to imitate it in real life with real weapons.

don't play half life 2! The fake blood and gore will make you suddenly compelled to become a bloodthirsty manical mass killer! Please, I've been playing M-rated games my whole life. Even back in the days of 2d blood and gore. Ahhh the good old days of doom. And I haven't killed anyone yet!

thatdudekevin said:
I should kill you,you know? That was the most retarted comment ever and i hope satan eats your soul.

What alientank so horribled tried to convey is that violent video games\movies\music and anything else people want to sensor are not the root cause of people's behavior. However, a person who is messed up in the head can get ideas from a movie\game\song and act upon it. Games and movies are rated for a good reason.

HL2 deserves the M (17+) rating but it is up to parents to raise stable children. I agree with this father's decision and the info his son has given to us is only one point of view. I am sure when his father was explain to him why he didn't want him playing anymore M rated games until he was older that a lot of good reasons where given. However the son was only listening for the weak points in the argument because he was frustrated (understandably so) and those weak points are what he shared with us in this post.

My parents have let me play 18+ rated games pretty much all my life. I've ALWAYS known that whatever/whoever i'm killing or running over or whatever in the game IS NOT REAL. It's just a load of 0's and 1's.
I have never had the urge or wanted to kill anybody either. It's like people have already said. It's not the game what makes kids go on rampages, it's the way they have been brought up.

If you noticed i was talking about the guy who compared video game sensorship to "sucking your dads cock at 5"

thatdudekevin said:

It's a good thing I don't believe in heaven or hell or else your wish might come true!

[Dragoon] said:
God... I'm so tired of all these "Video games make people violent!!!" people. I've been playing violent video games for years, since I was about 10, and I've only killed like 4 people.

Hahaha nice one! That made me laugh :LOL:

Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 are two different games.

And you dad played Doom when he was young, didn't he? Has he been committing any murders since breakfast?

Tell your dad to go **** himself and buy the game yourself. Just play it when hes not around.

Nick1814 said:
Tell your dad to go **** himself and buy the game yourself. Just play it when hes not around.

Hmmm, yeah. That'd work! /sarcasm

Sgt. Duffy said:
Im 13, and have never played an M-rated game up until August 3rd. After I dunno how long of waiting, I finally got to play Doom 3 and it scared the shit outta me. And guess what...my DAD bought it for me. He was convinced this was such an awesome game,( and he loved the original Doom, which is you know, pretty cool considering the fact he despises most videogames) that I just had to play it, because I too, loved the original Doom and he didnt want me to miss out of it (He never told me why he bought it for me..Im just guessing here)

Well, guess what?! I log into my email, and all of a sudden, he says a co-worker, a 50 year old woman (my dads 57, BTW), told him that she never let her 15 year old son glance at an M-rated game. She gave him a couple links, and he emailed them to me. They described ESRB ratings, and how violent games can alter kids lives. Make them mass serial killers. Deprive them of sleep (actually, thats really true...). Hell, even make them want to join the Army (which I've been wanting to do since...well..for my entire child-hood) So, he told me he's looking at this, and there are approximately 20,000 deaths every videogame.

Some how, this convinced him to not let me buy any more M-rated games. He'll still let me buy FPS's..that are rated Teen and have the SAME EXACT AMOUNT OF DEATHS. Im really not making a point here, so Im gonna stop, because the more I type, jeeze, just the angrier I get...atleast theres girls, Duff, atleast theres girls...

Just ask someone to buy it for you damn. Play it when your dad isnt home or at a friends house.

Video games are only as violent as you make them.

I don't take video games very seriously. They aren't reality. I don't let video games deprive me of sleep, and I don't have any plans to join the Army. I have plans to move onto college, get a job working for my dad repairing cameras...

Do you have Cable TV??? There are far worse things on TV than you will find in HL2 ...

Well my parent's never really cared that much about video game ratings because, well, they know for a fact im not depressed nor retarded

TM2 Rampage said:
Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 are two different games.

And you dad played Doom when he was young, didn't he? Has he been committing any murders since breakfast?
Furthermore:
Doom 3 is intended to be a bloody, gorey, terrifying horror experience.

Half-Life 2 is not.

And btw, join the Army? There's nothing wrong with wanting to defend your mother country.

Platinum said:
Do you have Cable TV??? There are far worse things on TV than you will find in HL2 ...

If he says that he'll probably get banned from TV and than his dad will want to turn Amish and the whole shidable will get worse.

This guy's screwed.

My mom doesn't like me playing violent games, but she doesn't care just as long as my grades are good.

My dad on the other hand loves to play games too, he sometimes watches me when he is in the same room.

Well I won't kill anyone when i get half-life 2 i have to beat it first silly

DiSTuRbEd said:
Actually they don't, they judge it the right way, 13 year olds shouldn't be able to play M rated games anyways.

actually there was a thread in General Off topic about this very issue of kids getting their hands on M rated games.. and i agree with u.

i think parents are a big problem when it comes to this topic because they are the ones who generally buy these M rated games for their kid and then they see the game in action, turn around and file complaints with the Censor board afterwards.

i am sorry Duffy but ur dad is for once doing the right thing.

Mr-Fusion said:
And if he catches you playing, simply axe him to death and carve a lambda symbol into his back with a blunt spoon.

ahahahahahahahaaahahhahahahahahahahahahahhahaahahahahah
ahahahahahahahhahHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAhah
ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAH

TM2 Rampage said:
Furthermore:
Doom 3 is intended to be a bloody, gorey, terrifying horror experience.

Half-Life 2 is not.

And btw, join the Army? There's nothing wrong with wanting to defend your mother country.

uhhh...are you nutts dont join the ****ing army your a ****ing retarded **** if you ****ing join the ****ing bitch ass army holly shit don't join the ****ing army you dipshit ass retarded ****!

LOL... im 13 too but my parents don't give a shit about what I do on my computer.. and BTW doom 3 is pretty crappy.

If you are looking for a way to convince your dad to let you get half-life 2 just let him read these articles:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/2943280.stm
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20030528/1026235.shtml
http://www.msnbc.com/news/919010.asp?cp1=1

and a never ending list of other articles found in 1 search on google. All of the articles say playing games improves your eye-sight, reflexes, and thinking. Maybe there are more things in them but I didn't read them... Good luck.

EDIT: Wtf? we're not all retards, I've been playing games since I was 5 and after doom I never had the impulse to get a chainsaw, turn it on and maybe press the button a few times to get the chain spinning then run at my teacher with it. I'd thought of a stapler though. :naughty:

Back