NEW HighQuality CS:Source Pics & Jess Cliffe Interview

kingthebadger

Reaction score
Our impressions were hearty enough, but don't think that you're going to escape without plenty of new info! Jess Cliffe of Valve Software has been making the media rounds recently, and CSN is his latest stop!

CS-Nation: What changes have been made to the maps ported to CS: Source?
Jess Cliffe of Valve Software: The texture resolution for maps has quadrupled. We can now also add a 3D skybox so maps can look as though they span miles. This serves to make levels less like an arena and more like a realistic location. In addition, designers have the flexibility to specify whether a prop is static, physics, or client side debris. We can also take advantage of features such as normal mapping and specularity in order to give textures extra depth and reflectivity.
CS-Nation: We know that most of our favorite maps will be coming back in CS: Source, but what about any new maps?
cliffe: Thus far we've upgraded Dust, Dust II, Italy, Havana, Aztec, Piranesi, Cbble, Chateau, and Office. More classic maps will be added to this list over time. One of our mappers, Ido Magal, has even made an in-house test map called Rockworld—based on everyone's favorite fragfest Iceworld.

Sticking with the CS tradition of ongoing development, new maps will come later on.
CS-Nation: What does DaveJ think of Source'ed versions of Dust and Dust II?
cliffe: I showed Dust to Dave a month or so ago and he was really excited. He mentioned that it was very close to how he'd originally envisioned Dust. So if it gets an enthusiastic DaveJ stamp of approval, we're happy. In fact, he'd be working with us on this if he weren't finishing school. Damn you Johnston!
CS-Nation: Counter-Strike's models have been un-touched for years now. How is Valve ensuring that new weapon models will look great while still being identifiable to long-time CS fans?
cliffe: Longtime CS players will feel right at home with the upgraded weapons. We've directly ported the great majority of the weapon animations so it will feel quite familiar. The upgraded models are all faithful to their HL1 engine counterparts, while still raising the art quality considerably. In addition, the weapon models are now higher-poly and use specularity and/or normal mapping.
CS-Nation: Tell us about the new flashbang effect. Have any of the other grenade behaviors been modified?
cliffe: As you might have seen from footage of the Korea CS: Source event, the flashbang will now "burn your retina," leaving an image of what you had last seen before 'banged. Also, as you're probably all aware, the HE has morphed into a frag grenade. We're also experimenting with deafening from direct frag grenade hits and ear ringing from close flashbangs.
CS-Nation: How have you responded to community feedback on the Riot Shield? Will it be removed from CS: Source?
cliffe: The riot shield has been removed. It remains to be seen if we will experiment with alternative shield behavior in the future.
CS-Nation: Does CS: Source support custom weapon/player models?
cliffe: Yes, you can customize weapon and player models just like you did in Counter-Strike. We teamed up with Softimage and released the HL2 XSI EXP a few months ago and now we can't wait to see what kind of custom content the community comes up with. This is another great side effect of the beta—modelers will get an early jump on creating new weapons and players. So Rizzuh and Nighthawk, prepare the CS: Source section of CSN Skins. Things are getting interesting.
CS-Nation: Why did Valve opt for a closed BETA for CS: Source rather than an open, public BETA?
cliffe: Members of the Valve Cybercafé Program plus owners of Counter-Strike: Condition Zero add up to a lot of users so we're going to get a wide coverage on our test with this group.
Do you plan on buying Half-life 2?
Yes!
We'll see how the reviews turn out.
No way. Games are for nerds!

CS-Nation: When will the BETA be released to CS:CZ owners? How long does Valve anticipate the BETA period lasting?
cliffe: The CS: Source beta will be released in the next few weeks. We haven't finalized the length of the beta just yet. As for the beta map, we'll most likely use Dust.
CS-Nation: Moving to the final release, how will CS: Source be distributed? Will it be available exclusively to Half-Life 2 owners?
cliffe: Counter-Strike: Source will be included with all versions of Half-Life 2. However, we will also make it available as a stand alone purchase for those who'd prefer to purchase CS:S a la carte.
CS-Nation: Is CS: Source the only multiplayer game shipping with Half-Life 2?
cliffe: Half-Life 2 will come with CS: Source. Right now, we do not plan to include any other multiplayer games with Half-Life 2.
Thanks to Jess Cliffe and Valve Software for their extraordinary cooperation!

Images

http://www.csnation.net/image.php?id=29902
http://www.csnation.net/image.php?id=29901

Whats the terrorists on the left holding? a pipe? rofl

It is a really really unfortunate position for an ejected bullet casing

Wow, that actually looks pretty good. This is coming from someone who cant stand CS and couldnt give a shit about CS:S.

That looks pretty awesome to me :)

*waits for the pessimists to crawl out of the woodwork*

The glock skin looks really good, I am very much looking forward to playing css

OMG GREAT GREAT interview! ALL needed information included AND 2 very very nice shots! next few weeks sounds good!

KinGadY said:
Whats the terrorists on the left holding? a pipe? rofl

I thought that too, lol. Its actually just a shell coming form the glock, took me a minute.

I wonder if we'll be able to skywalk :)

cliffe: Half-Life 2 will come with CS: Source. Right now, we do not plan to include any other multiplayer games with Half-Life 2.

:(

Is it just me of are the CS player models getting taller? It seems that the legs made taller...

thoughts?

Great info and pics, I really do hope that the hand won't look like that in the final though.

I'm glad for that, I always assumed that CS took place in a parallel world where dwarven rapid response forces battled evil across the globe...

They were some chunky monkeys...

sharp said:
Is it just me of are the CS player models getting taller? It seems that the legs made taller...

thoughts?

they look much more hunched over, which is good because i know i would be.

Yeah they do look tall from the waist down (if ya know what I mean) but seriously now folks, Cliff said they would tweak the player proportions before the BETA would be released. Hopefully that is what he means.

In the previous screenshots, and the vidoes from Korea, it looked great, but there is just somthing about those two images that look cartoony..

Diablo2k said:

any other multiplayer GAMES with half life...i think that means no other MODS..i can't believe they would leave out hldm...that would be too stupid

Diablo2k said:

Yeah, talk about burying the lead. Oh well, it's not like it'll suck.

I seriously don't see any problems with those images... They look great.

IMO arms look fugly. It doesnt seem to have an wrist. The arms are like white compared to the fingers.

any other multiplayer GAMES with half life...i think that means no other MODS..i can't believe they would leave out hldm...that would be too stupid

Well HLDM is part of Half-Life so when you get HL:S you'll get HLDM:S

FoB_Ed said:
Well HLDM is part of Half-Life so when you get HL:S you'll get HLDM:S

Multiplayer won't be part of HL:Source for starters.

They should just close topics once everyone has said everything good that can be said about new media, because then there is just a deluge of people wanting rain on the parade...

If that was TF:S, I'd probably have orgasmed by now.

But, Valve, excuse me for a second while I get extremely pissed off with the lack of DoD:S and TF:S.

Sounds like no original HL2 MP. Disappointing...

So CS:S is Half-Life 2 multiplayer? So much for Gabe's comments that HL2's multiplayer would be something new and exciting. Or maybe that's coming later?

Anyway, the pictures look great. The gun models are especially impressive.

wait a minute at the risk of sounding new> which im not i just signed up a while a go and have been lurking for more than a year.. anyways

did he just say that cs : s is the ONLY multiplayer with half life 2...? or does he mean only ported multiplayer?

Citizen 1150421 said:
did he just say that cs : s is the ONLY multiplayer with half life 2...? or does he mean only ported multiplayer?

Well, it's kind of ambiguous. But from the way he said it, I would assume that he meant CS:S is the only MP so far.

I hope to god that I'm wrong.

Niceeeeeeeee

I still don't know about buying CZ, if the beta isn't going to stop the release of HL2 I can wait more.

To me this means cs source is a stand alone multiplayer game that will be included with HL2, which also has its own multiplayer...

Well ages ago somebody at valve said something like "yeah, CS:S is not delaying HL2, because it needs to be done as an example of multiplayer on the source engine anyway."

At the time I said: hold on a minute, that sounds like CS:S is the only multiplayer..

And now that sounds ever more likely...

I can't say I am as bothered as some people, but I really looked forward to manipulator throwing action in some kind of DM...

However surely that would be so easy to set up that they just couldn't leave it out?

I mean maybe not with rules or anything, but I'm sure you'll be able to load up a SP map and play it with others online.

Back