New screenshot?

The condemning fact about this is that we have only seen one screenshot from the supposed demo/leaked art. And not a _hint_ of any videos. Why don't we see a demonstration of them walking around or shooting the buggy? Because it would instantly reveal that even if this is a mockup in another game, its not HL2.

Second, why if its HL2 art, are the textures so poor compared to the model? Compare the buggy video picture on the sand, the ground textures look a LOT better, where this fake's ground is pixellating like any old game.

120 replies... that thing is fake.

- anyone can model a buggy like that easily in 3ds max or something
- could put the model they made in a hl1 map or whatever

look at the map design, that wouldn't be official or anything

It's fake, you guys have been had. Sorry. Keep dreaming.

plus... look at the top rail of the "Fake" in-game screenshot with the movie screenshot

they're different
i'm sure they wouldn't change that

we were all had when hl2 was delayed past 30th, little more being had wont hurt

You dont think much of the engine do you? Thats got ut2k3 written all over it.

fake, or different model car, they don't even look the same, how can ppl overlook that, it's missing a whole ****ing bonnet, are you blind?!

there is a possibility they changed parts of the model since e3. with that in mind who knows

The buggy was planning to be redone after E3 build apparently. Possible to be a lower poly model.

personally i think it is a fake thoguh

to people saying why does it look like an older engine? probably because the guy has mediocre hardware.

not that i'm saying it's real, it's just a possible reason for the graphical quality.

Originally posted by groovy
fake, or different model car, they don't even look the same, how can ppl overlook that, it's missing a whole ****ing bonnet, are you blind?!

That's exactly what I thought. Yes, it does look like the real thing - just its missing the entire bonnet.

im as gullible as they get, i fell for sept 30th release date!

people said the same thing about the source code before it was confirmed.

'Gullible idiots think the source is real LOL'
'u n00b valve wouldnt let source get stolen'
'rofl its hl1 engine'

They stole the source but not the models otherwise the compiled beta would be the final game idiot.

Its so fake its not even funny, have you ever played ut2k3? I can spot instantly that its not hl2 and is a ut2k3 model.

still no beta or resources out.. i think.. the source is as good as it gets.
and im glad, because i don't have my new computer yet to see the awesome dx9 effects

well like i said, people claimed to be able to see exact similarities between HL1 and HL2 source code, so keep an open mind ok?

Originally posted by Syphoon!!
The condemning fact about this is that we have only seen one screenshot from the supposed demo/leaked art. And not a _hint_ of any videos. Why don't we see a demonstration of them walking around or shooting the buggy? Because it would instantly reveal that even if this is a mockup in another game, its not HL2.

Second, why if its HL2 art, are the textures so poor compared to the model? Compare the buggy video picture on the sand, the ground textures look a LOT better, where this fake's ground is pixellating like any old game.

Someone posted a "so called" video of the stolen source, compiled and running some very basic map. I saw it and frankly if thats the HL2 engine then I'm a three legged monkey. It was clearly using HL1 files, the Player behaved were exactly how it used to be, I couldn't make out any fancy mapping, there were no shadows atall. The water behaved exactly like it did in HL1 when the player fell into it, but wasn't even transparent. It just screamed of a HL1 map, or one of the more basic sourceforge 3D engines. It would have made sense to me, if someone wanted to try prove it was a real video of the game, to put something in there other engines couldn't do. I didn't see anything new. Granted the textures being bad was likely down to them not having the resources from HL2. I find it hard to believe though that the source engine would mimic HL1's so closely in player behavior

As for that buggy pic, well. seems like a fake, A good clue is the shadow, thats a pre-rendered soft area shadow (XSI can do shadow maps in that way and I think Max and Maya also) a real time shadow while soft, would still be like a stencil of the model, it wouldn't spread out like in that pic, and no other legit screenshot from HL2 has area type shadows, just basic stenciled soft shadows. As for the buggy being partially in the ground, thats probably their attempt to make it seem more "real" in the game, adding little mistakes and such. It is well done for a fake though. But as I've seen others saying, it wouldn't take long to model it, and I imagine a lot of people, after seeing clips from the game have tried their own, lots of fan pics. Heck someone has even made an actual life size Combine suit (which looked really good btw) And that would give people a long time, many months to put fakes together

Thats my thought on it anyway, and this is my first post so hiya everyone, this is a neat place and a nice site, hope I haven't annoyed anyone too much, would be a bad start first time posting eh :)

Originally posted by Fenric1138
Someone posted a "so called" video of the stolen source, compiled and running some very basic map. I saw it and frankly if thats the HL2 engine then I'm a three legged monkey. It was clearly using HL1 files, the Player behaved were exactly how it used to be, I couldn't make out any fancy mapping, there were no shadows atall. The water behaved exactly like it did in HL1 when the player fell into it, but wasn't even transparent. It just screamed of a HL1 map, or one of the more basic sourceforge 3D engines. It would have made sense to me, if someone wanted to try prove it was a real video of the game, to put something in there other engines couldn't do. I didn't see anything new. Granted the textures being bad was likely down to them not having the resources from HL2. I find it hard to believe though that the source engine would mimic HL1's so closely in player behavior

The build is real. Lighting doesn't work, bumpmapping doesn't work, shaders barely work. Which is why it looks like crap. I can assure you that it's real, as I, and a LOT of other people have the build.

Oh. And I created the it's real picture. Some of you mentioned the textures and lighting not being good? This could be a crappy vid card. The buggy wheels going into the ground? Well, Havok isn't perfect.
Seriously, there's enough evidence that it's real, and a lot of the proof it was fake was disproved by me. Seems like people just take that first edit pointing out the errors and totally ignore my evidence. But ahh well believe what you want.

Oh and about the buggy not being the same, Valve actually said that the buggy was high on poly's and needed optimizing. They must have optimized it.

How would they get the buggy? No models were leaked.

the gunship pic overlooking the water is from pcgamer pg. 69 of octobers issue (115)

Originally posted by Fenric1138

about the buggy pic i have no idea, i do not think any resources were leaked with the source, but it's definately a possibility...

map.jpg

WTF! this level is from rainbow six or whatever it is. it has the same textures!

FAKEEEEEEEEE!

If "they" really wanted to prove that they had it all going why only release one crappy image. If they did a whole heap like 20 then it would have taken ages to fake em all.

winston:
first one is from a different game, second and third are from the Bink vids!
edit: the first one uses a weapon model from HL2, but the guy and surroundings are from a different game. chaser or something.

The second one couldve been took during the video.

The 2nd one is edited from the Barricade/KleinersLab video and placed into the trap town video

the second one is directly out of traptown, isn't it?
*goes and checks*
but yes, these aren't even close to good fakes.

can't wait till i see a real one...

Back