NO HL3 or other 3d games

Born im sure u need to get out of the house and get a life :)

That's just stupid.

If they had sued in 1989 that would be one thing, but waiting 16 years to do so is just ridiculous and greedy. Once they lose I hope they game companies counter sue the bastards.

Also, I believe that a patent granted in 1988 only lasts for 17 years. Kind of convenient they wait for 16 of those years to do anything about it no?

http://www.library.gatech.edu/search_locate/techres/patentfacts.htm
Utility and plant patents issued prior to June 8, 1995 expire 17 years from the date of issue with the payment of maintenance fees.

Well ,if by somehow these idiots end up winning this case-
It means not only will the game developers eat shit, everyone will. What i mean by this is if anyone at all used 3D in anything, boom, they owe some money which could create a big problem since 3D is so mainstream these days.
That means-
Games
Movies
Music(Music Videos)
Hardware developers
Any joe who had used 3D programs.
Etc.
I seriously doubt this will go very far, but it could possibly happen.

-Alix

Mikademius said:
Dallas based law firm McKool Smith is suing Electronic Arts, Take-Two, Ubisoft, Activision, Atari, THQ, Vivendi, Sega, Square Enix, Tecmo, LucasArts and Namco Hometek

Hmmm, I don't see Microsoft in that list, I wonder why that is . . .

ummm...i use a 3d program and if this happens then they go suck a d***

Sourcerer said:
Hmmm, I don't see Microsoft in that list, I wonder why that is . . .

You'd sooner see God on that list, then MS...

NO one is that stupid...

Some of you are saying that only an insane judge would not throw this case out,
Then there must be an asylum's worth of judges out there because in america you can sue anyone for anything and win easily.

Don't these rules not apply to companies outside the united states? Gaming companies could just move, simple as that.

And yes, I agree with people who say that United States is stupid when it comes to being sue happy. Most of us agree with you. Not everybody here is sue happy.

EDIT: Also... these guys should be very cautious with who they're threatening. The gaming industry is freaking HUGE, not to mention the fanbase of games in general.

I mean... hell, if we have teamsters killing each other over their issues, can you imigine what could happen to these Mckool guys? Industries this big don't like to be threatened, and the power they'd have if they banded together would be incredible.

There's prior art - 3D games have been around since before 1988.

I still dont understand...

do they own the rights to the 3rd dimension or something?

The judge will definately throw this out. He wouldn't want to jeopardise one of the largest industries in the world over some silly patent.

Completely ridiculous. Doesnt have a leg to stand on.

Its like me patenting dvd cases 20 years ago, then when they get really popular then sueing companies for royalties. Itll get laughed out of court.

burnzie said:
I still dont understand...

do they own the rights to the 3rd dimension or something?

It's supposedly a patent to the basic 3d technology I guess.

All I know is... I would pay money to see video footage of the court proceedings on this case. From start to finish. Would be awesome to watch =P

Or maybe i'm just a nerd!

the good thing is though that patents are country specific, not international, so UK games developers will not be affected unless this group took out a patent in the uk at the same time which i dont think they have.

Mikademius said:
Dallas based law firm McKool Smith is suing Electronic Arts, Take-Two, Ubisoft, Activision, Atari, THQ, Vivendi, Sega, Square Enix, Tecmo, LucasArts and Namco Hometek for breaking the "Method and Apparatus for Spherical Planning", patent nr. 4734690" from 1988. This patent covers all 3d-graphics in gaming and therefore all the sued companies have sold 3d-games illegaly.

If McKool Smith wins the american court can claim the income of ALL THE GAMES THE PUBLISHERS HAVE EVER PUBLISHED

They will also claim the right to claim money for EVERY 3d-GAMES IN THE FUTURE

8 of the sued companies are represented by ibson, Dunn & Crutcher, but they wouldn't comment on the case. However an anonymous representative for one of the firms say this :

"Publishers should be very concerned. They seem to have a case. It's not impossible that they might win. There are a lot ov clever people on the case and they take this case very seriously"

If you ask me this will crash the gaming industry. No one will afford to create games in 3d anymore if this comes through. Perhaps people will create the good old 2d games instead... But seriously. This is horrible news.

www.gamer.no (norwegian)
www.gamedaily.biz
www.slashdot.org

Bah. Just another deranged fool trying to cash in with some bogus patent.

Even if they win, I doubt any developer outside of the US will care, plus they will be swamped with hackers, crackers and saboteurs for the rest of their existence.

the problem is, they do stand a chance in court with the judges these days, but hopefully it all gets taken care of before it even gets to that point
edit: hopefully osama bin laden likes 3d games, maybe he'll do the world some good and take the firm out

Can you imagine the shitstorm they'd get into if they won? Every gamer with any hacking skill would be all over them, I'd say.

It's akin to patenting a perspective technique and then suing the estates of all the artists that have used it. It's completely ridiculous and I'm sure it will be dismissed.

It'll never happen.. though if it does, 3D games _will_ continue.. but you can finally kiss goodbye to consoles *dances* cause who's gonna pay for them when the prices go up that much.

Anyway, its just dumb, someone will want to know why they didn't make a deal of this years ago with early 3D games, its not even worth worrying about.

****ing idiiots, all they want is money. Very bad news, yet good thing Valve isn't listed, at least, yet. He is located right here in Dallas as well. I'm thinking of giving him a visit and asking him why he is actually doing this, for money? Probably, but then he would break the spirit of all gamers and would be hated more than Microsoft...****ing idiots these days...

Valor5 said:
****ing idiiots, all they want is money. Very bad news, yet good thing Valve isn't listed, at least, yet. He is located right here in Dallas as well. I'm thinking of giving him a visit and asking him why he is actually doing this, for money? Probably, but then he would break the spirit of all gamers and would be hated more than Microsoft...****ing idiots these days...

Heh, i'm around dallas too. Lets go beat em up :p All 75 of em.

Even if this was only going to happen in america the business will suffer. Imagine the last superpower in the world closing down the gaming industry. We would suffer tremendously. And also. American companies who makes 3d software would not be allowed to sell abroad without compansation for the "loss". So basicly we could just start WW3 when this happens cause there would be in some serious disturbance anyways. Economy will jiggle...

Can I plz be allowed to smack his face with a baseball bat? :E He may have a point etc but he/they are still ****ing retards ;( Honestly. I know. Trust me ;)

Burn Video Game World Burn!!!!! I Hate All Of You!!!! Burn!!!!!!!!

EVERYONE READ THE PATENT: According to the way it is worded, the technology only applies to a camera moving around some origin point, such as in some modelling programs, which are not being targeted by the lawsuit. This guy WILL lose the lawsuit anyways, because a) the method of projecting 3D vectors into 2D space was already developed (read: projection matrices) and b) 3D graphics were being done before 1988 (perfect example: I believe it was the movie "Young Sherlock Holmes" in 1985 that had 3D graphics in it)

I HOPE EVERY COMPANY FALLS THAT RELEASES GAMES THEY RIP PEOPLE OFF BY CHARGING 50 BUCKS A POP!!! add up 10 copys REAL QUICK!!! SO BURN!!!!!!! LINX 4 LIFE! hahaha

[Born][nBk] said:
Burn Video Game World Burn!!!!! I Hate All Of You!!!! Burn!!!!!!!!

damn..I guess someone sucks at CS or something...

and YOU are the moron here 3d modeling,graphics etc has been around in some form or another for a long time

as in before this idiotic patent...

guess what? I just patented breathing...you all owe me $$$$$

when did i say that was the beginning of 3d graphics??? See you people miss intrupret things and you people have ZERO common sence!
and why does it matter what i say? are you affended by it?? huh you damn nerdy bastard whats wrong with you people CALM DOWN LIVE YOUR LIFE WORK YOUR JOB AND PLAY GAMES DONT WORRY ABOUT COMPANYS YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT OH SORRY YOU KNOW THAT EVERY GAMMING COMPANY MAKES GAMES WOW IS THAT?!??!? YOU DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT MARKETING OR SALES OR THE WAY HOW A GAME IS REALLY "Designed"!

I may not know a lot about American Law. but surely common sense wil be the outright winner here.
Just a thought

I'll make this clear for you who argue about 3d. Tron in 1982 was the first movie to take 3d into use. 1982 is often seen as the birthyear of 3d. this is the visual aspect of it. 3d is no more then vector calculations. This has been around for some time. And Born, I hate to tell on people to the admins, but you... I just had to.

[Born][nBk] said:
when did i say that was the beginning of 3d graphics??? See you people miss intrupret things and you people have ZERO common sence!
and why does it matter what i say? are you affended by it?? huh you damn nerdy bastard whats wrong with you people CALM DOWN LIVE YOUR LIFE WORK YOUR JOB AND PLAY GAMES DONT WORRY ABOUT COMPANYS YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT OH SORRY YOU KNOW THAT EVERY GAMMING COMPANY MAKES GAMES WOW IS THAT?!??!? YOU DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT MARKETING OR SALES OR THE WAY HOW A GAME IS REALLY "Designed"!

http://selan.jbcomptech.com:81/files/images/caps-lock.jpg

It's really not that hard to turn off.

Haha, that's so dunderchunced. That's like saying that you invented the camera, so now you own every film on earth.

Hey, um, I invented the concept of "storing things on disks." Now I own everything that has ever existed!

listern you moron you cant just come in here with all that!! and you dont even know what your talking about "CALM DOWN LIVE YOUR LIFE WORK YOUR JOB AND PLAY GAMES DONT WORRY ABOUT COMPANYS YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT" what the f*ck is that supposed to mean? what if your job is making games hmm? well genious answer that? and what if you play games? how the f*ck are you gonna play them if the companies go out of business, what are you stupid?

Back