Official Overclocking Thread- ALL questions go HERE

Um... yeah... artifacts are caused by overclocking, I know that... if you overclock a card too much, it gets artifacts... but if you scale the speed back again, they go away...

Anyway, the overclocking question is: How many varients of the XP 2400+ are there and how overclockable are they?

But you already said you knew Jack shit about overclocking...

EDIT: Oh. Can't be arsed, frankly. Just wanted to know from the smart people here... it wasn't urgent.

Yeah, I'm not entirely sure why they appear. It's not heat-related, heat just can cause damage. Artifacts do not mean pernament damage.

I have heard that you can get rid of them by somehow increasing the voltage to certain components on your card, but that comes with extra heat...

My motherboard is strange, it OCs everything, the memory clock, the processor clock, the AGP clock. Thats why I'm scared to do it :eek:

Brian Damage said:
Um... yeah... artifacts are caused by overclocking, I know that... if you overclock a card too much, it gets artifacts... but if you scale the speed back again, they go away...

Anyway, the overclocking question is: How many varients of the XP 2400+ are there and how overclockable are they?

But you already said you knew Jack shit about overclocking...

EDIT: Oh. Can't be arsed, frankly. Just wanted to know from the smart people here... it wasn't urgent.

I know a bit about oc'ing, if you wanna ask some more stuff contact me on msn, name is [email protected], or on irc, quakenet.

Funky!

Are 2400+s good to overclock?

I don't think I'll do it straight away, but it'd be reassuring to know...

Groovy! Do I need to get a new fan? I already seem to have a whacking great one stuck on there...

mr badger i have talked to u about this before but im just not sure about this
i have a 9600 np and i have overclocked it to core 391 mem 222 from its defaults at 324 core 202 mem
i have in no way shape or form seen artifacts so should i keep going...i mean ill be hitting 400 core soon????

OK, so I have this problem: I've got an Intel D845PESV motherboard. The BIOS doesn't have any OC options, so I wanted to OC my Celeron with a program such as CPUIdle, SoftFSB etc., but they don't support my motherboard. So what are my options (if any). :|

overclocking CPU via FSB

Havent read through this thread since it was on like page three so i figured i'd just throw this out at you guys and see what you think...

I've recently overclocked my 9800 Pro (Rage3d tweak) and AthlonXP 3000+ (upped the multiplier) and now i want to try overclocking by the FSB. Only problem is my RAM isnt exactly top notch. I have 2x512mb of Corsair 'Value Select' pc3200 DDR RAM @ 400MHz. How far do you think i could expect to push it?

current specs:

AthlonXP 3000+ 400MHz FSB @ 2.3GHz x11.5 multiplier
Asus A7N8X rev2 bios ver.1006
2x512mb Corsair Value Select pc3200 DDR RAM @ 400MHz 2.5-3-3-8
9800 Pro @ 430/371 w/VGA Silencer

Im thinking maybe 415 on stock vdimm, maybe 420 or a bit higher with an upped vdimm. You acn always set a different CPU:RAM ratio when you reach its limit though and keep going on the CPU if possible.

Set a different CPU:RAM ratio??

I thought it was always best to run AMD chip's FSB in sync with the RAM?

Meteor_of_War said:
Set a different CPU:RAM ratio??

I thought it was always best to run AMD chip's FSB in sync with the RAM?

It is.

Well, not necessarily AMD chips, but you do want to keep the Nforce2 chipset in sync with the ram.

man this thread is dying
well i gots a question
i have a pentium 4 2ghz on the northwood core
the fsb is set at 100 and the multiplyer is at 20
Im on a Intel D845EPT2 mother board (Its a Dell cuz my dad ordered it)
In the bios there is no option for fsb or anything to do with the processor

How do i overclock???? :cheers:

Ok as i have no clue where to start with overclocking safely/properly perhaps someone can answer a few questions...

Whats this i hear about unlocking/bridging your cpu? is that hard to do and requires manual labour?

Im running a KV7400mb fsb mobo with an AMD (Throughbread 333mb fsb) 2.6+ with 1024mb DDR400 and its at 45c now, i think it goes to about 50c - 55c when i've been playing FC for a while. I've messed about with it but whenever i do/have games crash, UT2004 just crashes to desktop and so does FC so is there anyone here who thinks they can help in any way at all? :smoking:

Whats the best cooling solution with Air? Sound is not an obstacle, i use headphones.

Hey SGT! Where's the OC guide posted?

Sorry - nube as they come here! :LOL:

I just got the system described below yesterday, so I don't plan to sleep this weekend! :cheese: With an ASUS P4P800 and OCZ 500 "EL" Gold, I've been told I should be able to OC to 560-580 depending on how I hold my mouth and whether I got the lucky pair or not. That would make my 3Ghz into a 4GHz or better, and the ASUS 9600XT/TVD is already rockin'...

Please don't beat me - I've never really tried to push a P4, before - anything you do would help, 'cept p'ing on my parade! };^)

I've got an Enermax 550 "Whisper" PS and an OCZ "Eliminator 2" heat-sink fan combo with fancy thermal paste and all that jazz...

The RAM is rated 2.5/3/4/7, but I know I'll likely have to tame that a bit!

new video card

I have a Athlon 2400,
512MB DDR333
20 GB HD
Geforce 3ti200 64mb

i want to get a new video card. i can spend 200 or below. please advise me on which one to get.

1) radeon 9600xt with HL2 coupon
2) radeon 9800 Pro 128mb Sapphire
3) Radeon 9600 pro for around $100

thanks

It depends what quality you want to play HL2 and future games at.
I personally would go for the 9800Pro.
You will not beable to play HL2 or future games at the same res, FPS or detail level if you go with a 9600 XT/Pro vs the 9800Pro.

In my personal experinces, which are quite broad, i've found that your best bets insofar as video cards go, are the 9700 and 9800 series. A used 9700 pro can be found on ebay for about 100, and for most people, that is going to be quite sufficient for playing anything in the near future. It's a DX9 card, so compatability is not an issue, and it is really quite quick, especially with a little OC, especially on the ram.
So in conclusion, if you feel a tad limited in the monetary department, look into the 9700pro or 9800 non pro series. I'd shy away from anything that says SE, becuase those are the crippled versions of otherwise amazing cards. However, if you've got the money to spare, or are willing to wait a little while, please consider buying a card from the new series that nVidia and ATI are currently releasing and will continue to do so in upcomming months (X800, 6800) These are truly amazing cards and you will see ~ a 100% increase in gaming speeds, even with maximum quality.

Dang that was long.

Alig said:
Ok as i have no clue where to start with overclocking safely/properly perhaps someone can answer a few questions...

Whats this i hear about unlocking/bridging your cpu? is that hard to do and requires manual labour?

Im running a KV7400mb fsb mobo with an AMD (Throughbread 333mb fsb) 2.6+ with 1024mb DDR400 and its at 45c now, i think it goes to about 50c - 55c when i've been playing FC for a while. I've messed about with it but whenever i do/have games crash, UT2004 just crashes to desktop and so does FC so is there anyone here who thinks they can help in any way at all? :smoking:

Whats the best cooling solution with Air? Sound is not an obstacle, i use headphones.

Unlocking the cpu:
This is the practice of bridging (connecting) connections on your cpu that would have otherwise been cut, thereby allowing the user to set (usually through bios) other multiplier settings (FSB x Multi = CPU mhz) by doing so you are allowed much more leeway in changing the cpu speed.

Crashing a cpu mishagos:
firstly and foremost, your AMD XP2600+ does not operate at 2.6 ghz, its a PR term to compare the performance of AMD cpus to those of intel. Essencially it's saying that a 2600 will perform as well as a 2.6ghz p4. For the most part that is an appropriate comparison.

now that that's out of the way, your crashing problem is most likely due to system instability. that can be brought on by many things, on the top are RAM (use a program called memtest to check how well your memory is performing while oc'd) and too little voltage to the cpu.

Your temperatures seem alright, but that's a pretty big rise in idle-load temps. Try looking into picking up an aftermarket heatsink fan. Some of my favorites are the thermalright all copper lineup and Vantec's Aeroflow. I'd shy away from the majority of the pretty looking ones (ie ThermalTake) because,for the most part, they look much better then they perform.

You might be interested in taking a look at this link http://www.overclockers.com/articles373/socketA.asp
it contains a list and direct comparison of many of the HSFs that are on the market. (The lower c/w the better)

if you've got any other questions, or want clarification on any of this, feel free to pm me, or just post here, I might find it.

BTW ratledge: try 2/2/2/11 most ram (read: even generic) can hit that, and that long latency at the end can allow for a bit more speed where it counts.
edit: Sorry for the double post there.

Just a few questions, but first i'll provide my specs:

Mobo - Asus P4SD-LA
Processor - P4 3GHz HT w/ 800MHz FSB
RAM - 512 MB DDR/SDRAM
Video Card - Radeon 9800

First, I need to know how to access the correct page in order to OC. When I go into the BIOS settings, there are no options to select user defined settings or change the multiplier or FSB.

I also need to know which value to change when OCing my video card using RAGE 3D Tweak (Core clock or Memory clock or both.)

Is there any way I can check my system temperature from windows? I am using prime95 as a stress test.

Thanks for any input.

I would suggest looking at Radeon 9800 128bit memory interface, it's not as good as the 256 but I am pretty sure it is better then a 9800se because of the pipelines.

is there a 9800 with 128bit memory? I have never seen one. Ever. The answer to your problem is the newegg refub section.

It truly is a godsend. I just picked up a 9800pro (first series black pcb) for something like 170.

oh, and I have attempted to softmod 4 9800se's (256bit L shaped ram) and all have failed in one way or another.

The 9700pro is a solid performer. It's my suggestion.

I don't have to mess with jumpers if I overclock like the guy in the first post of this thread said to right?

well, jumper are ones of the easit things to mess with :)

usally you jsut have to pop them off, and then back on if you've really screwed soemthing up.

Daegon said:
is there a 9800 with 128bit memory? I have never seen one. Ever.
Yes there is. Shappire has made one.

That's a VERY oc'able board iirc. You only have to mess about in the bios. Go here www.ocforums.com and read the ocing faqs, plenty of good info.

that's the exact motherboard I have, so if you have any questions, feel free to pm me or contact me on aim.

Back