Official Overclocking Thread- ALL questions go HERE

That is a GREAT OC!!! What kind of cooling do you have? Im assuming water, it would be impossible to hit 2.5ghz stable on air.

What case do you have?
What fan arrangement?

Hi guys, I've been having trouble overclocking my Athlon XP 2500+. The highest I can get it up to is 1.88ghz. I've managed to get it up 2.2 ghz and my computer starts up just fine, temperature stays around 50C. But when I run a game, about 5 minutes in the comp just restarts for no apparent reason. I've tried raising the multiplyer and the FSB seperately, same problem with both. I've got a gig of DDR ram, if that means anything. Any suggestions?

The Vcore voltage is 1.68, I think that might be my problem. I'm going to try tweaking that a bit. I also checked my fan setting, it wasn't at full speed. I turned it up and the CPU is about 10C cooler. Thanks for the help.

Quick question please.

My bios doesn't have a config for multiplier but it has config for fsb.
I am trying to oc, the first times, to my Barton 2500+ using ga-7vt600.

So where shall I change the multiplier at?

Please advice.

um and

I have a weird temp reporting here:

Bios > 57
Easytune4 > 57
Sandra > 39
MBM5 > 29, 29, 70

I don't know which program to believe in.

Originally posted by kanette
Quick question please.

My bios doesn't have a config for multiplier but it has config for fsb.
I am trying to oc, the first times, to my Barton 2500+ using ga-7vt600.

So where shall I change the multiplier at?

Please advice.

In order to change your multiplier you need to unlock your CPU, obvisouly your motherboard doesnt do it for you.
Motherboard like Asus A7N8X (all of them) unluck it for you, and make it alot easier for you to overclock.

Im running my GeForce 5200FX at 320/380... base is 250/280

nope... It will run at that setting for Ghost Recon, Splinter Cell, and Infantry but not for Raven Shield. It doesent want to load up the visuals for the game so when you go to start mission it will be fine for first few seconds then screen will freeze up, but its just for RS.

Another question. I have an Expertool proggie running in my lower right corner and it has a performance tab to where it looks like I can OC my Core clock and memory clock from there. Just got this computer about 4 months ago and ive never seen this before... have you heard of it?

Lower the settings, like now. Any artifacting and it can do serious damage to the card. Lower it to settings where you can run any game for 1 hour(at least) perfect.

Ok I did. It wasnt worth it anyway I can play RS w 30 FPS normal. Thanks

This is probably a stupid question, but.. can OCing a graphics card slowly kill it? Like, the performance starts to get worse and worse, until it sucks?

That's not happening to mine, or anything, but I'm kinda wondering, if a card goes, does it just.. go? And if it works, it works? Or can performance slow down over time?

i believe only excessive heat and to much voltage can kill it, other then it just normal usage over a long time.

It will certinaly speed up the death process. You may find that one day your card is dead, and this day will probably come faster if you OC because of increased heat/voltage/resistance and all the other lecrical mumbo jumbo.

Life on the edge. :cheese:

Hey Sgt.Igneri, about that thread you just closed. That bit about the new Barton's being hardlocked isn't in your thread is it? Maybe you should include it or stop closing threads that you haven't read through.

It isnt, your right.

All OCing related questions should be posted here. Obviously if there is a thread dedicated to OCing stickied, Im not going to let people open their own threads about it when it should be here.

Next time PM that, BTW.

hey you almighty Sgt.Igneri, or anyone else for that matter..
I am currently running my barton 2500+ on 2800+ speed, and been running prime95 for over 6 hours. Is it nescessary to run it any longer? I mean, it's not that big difference(1.83-2.08)?
Stable as a rock this far though, and about 55Celcius..
I just upped the multiplier, not voltage or fsb..
I'm a complete newb, but your sticky has thaught me some tricks.. :)

Soon baby, soon... :p
I just ordered a new heatsink and fan, my temp on full load is rather high!? Anyway, i need that new fan, since my brother want my old on his XP1600. :) should do the trick for him? hehe. It's a Spire Whisperrock IV. I ordered a Thermaltake Volcano 7+, is that a good fan for oc? Or should i order something else in the same range? i also ordered a couple of casefans for better airflow. I'm oc'ing my graphics card too.

About FSB.. My ram is kinda crappy. Haven't tried upping it yet, but it's a noname kinda ram. PC3200(i think the timings are set to 2.5,3,3,7 or something in my BIOS. Dont remember), so it should manage 200fsb? I'll try that later on. I really got the taste of OC when i ran Prime95. :)

[edit]
The volcano pushes Max. 83m³/hour (49CFM)
and spins 6000rpm at max.. :O

3000 RPM @24 dB(A)
4800 RPM @35 dB(A)
6000 RPM @47 dB(A)

haha! i just realized something.. :)
My psu is 250watt :O
I'm getting a new case and psu this christmas, perhaps i should stay back at the excessive oc till then? hehe

Ok. I have an AMD Athlon XP 2100+ at 1.7 GHz. My multiplier is locked at 13 I belive, Ill double check later. I have a max fsb of 160, its default is 133 and I upped it to 154 so my new GHz is 2.00. Now when windows loads I check my processor speed and it still says 1.7 GHz. WTF is that? can anyone help me out? and should I increase my vcore at all? Its at 1.750 right now.

Weird.. Where do you check the speed? System Properties?
On my comp it say XP3000 and 2.10 Ghz under it.
I clocked my Barton 2500 up to that speed.
My multiplier and FSB is unlocked.

vgard said:
Weird.. Where do you check the speed? System Properties?
On my comp it say XP3000 and 2.10 Ghz under it.
I clocked my Barton 2500 up to that speed.
My multiplier and FSB is unlocked.

Ya, I check it by right clicking my computer and clicking properties. I also check it in "System Information". It still says 1.73 GHz when in bios after I change the FSB from 133 to 154 it says 2.00 GHz. wtf is up?

It looks like your bios doesn't save the changes when you save(?) :p and exit..
What mobo do you have?

vgard said:
It looks like your bios doesn't save the changes when you save(?) :p and exit..
What mobo do you have?

I got it to work but only could up it by like 5 mhz then it wouldnt save the changes or windows just wouldnt boot. Screw OCing for now Ill do it when I have a better comp.

***ALSO SET THE RAM:FSB RATIO LOWER BEFORE YOU START, KEEPING IT AT 1:1 CAN RESULT IN THE BEEP OF DEATH ***

Wtf does that meen??

couple of questions...
sorry if im stupid, but my bios options seem different from the ones discussed in guide

is the cpu clock ratio the multiplier? the options for it are 5, 5.5, 6...24

do i even touch the spread spectrum?

i have a cpu fsb clock select and a cpu host frequency select; do i just rais the fsb or the host frequency? i hear people OC'ing their fsb to like 160 and some numbers like that... how come my fsb options are only 100, 133, 166, 200 but my host frequency can be set anywhere from 100 to 233

which ddr:cpu ration is considered to be the lower one and how do these frequenies affect the comp?

my setup is...
2400+ stock settings: 15x133=2.0ghz(might be buying a 2500 soon)
kingston 512 2700 ram
stock hsf + fan (i have a new aeroflow next to the comp if its needed)
40C idle, 44C load with no OC
1 intake, 1 exhaust

wait a sec, so if i do get the 2500, i wont be over to over clock it to 3200 speeds and make the mobo recognize it as a 3200? or is there a way to unlock the multipliers on these?

peterhoang2002 said:
wait a sec, so if i do get the 2500, i wont be over to over clock it to 3200 speeds and make the mobo recognize it as a 3200? or is there a way to unlock the multipliers on these?

Not if your steppings are 0339 and over (possibly 0342 if your lucky) which means that your CPU is locked. But you can still Clock it as much as you should be able to if it were unlocked. What you will have to do is to Raise the FSB from 166 to 200 (2500+ ---> 3200+). Almost every 2500+ Barton are able to be OCed to 3200+ but if you're unlucky, it may just reach 2800+ or something. And no, when the multpliers locked, the computer wont recognize your 2500+ as a 3200+, but who cares? the thing is that you've overclocked it, and that it is showned on Games, 3dmark, PCmark etc etc

is it possible to OC the 2500 to 3200 by rasing the fsb to 200 (11x200) if i have kingston 512mb pc2700 333mhz (valueRAM)?

ok i found out where it says the week and year the proc was produced

ps. sorry about the double post. i cant seem to edit some of my posts

peterhoang2002 said:
is it possible to OC the 2500 to 3200 by rasing the fsb to 200 (11x200) if i have kingston 512mb pc2700 333mhz (valueRAM)?

ok i found out where it says the week and year the proc was produced

ps. sorry about the double post. i cant seem to edit some of my posts

As long as you have a good HSF and raise the voltage to at least 1.675 you should be good. Try upping the vcore to 1.7, then checking temps. If there good then just OC it.

well i have a brand new aeroflow hsf thats sitting on top of my desk waiting for a new proc. my last question is are you sure the ram wont hold me back to just 333fsb becasue the ram speed is 333mhz? im so worried that i wont be able to OC past 333mhz because of my cheap ram

Well if you change the ratio to something lower. It will damn sure have trouble running OCed at 400mhz.

Oh and what are the tightest timings your able to get on the ram?

Sry i didnt realize that on the last post. Maybe it will hold you back.

Back