Official requirements from the man himself...

Yea so their ****in reqs went up, they are making the game better, upgrade or shut up ppl.

Here we go:

ATI has the faster cards by a considerable margin for DirectX 9.0 games (including Half-Life 2).

From latest info from valve thread. :D I was right. :p

Not trying to be biased here, but do you really expect Gabe or Valve to say that Nvidia is better?

Come on, use your heads...

Mouse, you need a mouse?

I have a pet rat is that close enough?

I have a 1 GHZ processor and Geforce 2 GTS, and thought I would get away with it. Those sleazes.

youd still barely get away even if the requirements were at 1 ghz :p

lol, no you wouldn't. If you define getting away as a slide show...then yea sure...go for it.

My PC is made out of cardboard and I'm very upset at Valve for raising the minimum specs just so I can't play it. DAMN THEM!

I can't wait to boot this game up on my Commodore 64! Frag my friends with my 2400 Baud modem!

I'm alright, anyone knows how much harddrive you will need?

Polykarbon said:
Not trying to be biased here, but do you really expect Gabe or Valve to say that Nvidia is better?

No of course not, because Ati is better.

hello, do you know what the **** a benchmark is? those are called system requirements not benchmarks. theres already a system requirements hread why is this still open?

Hard-drive space: I think about 3GB but keep 4GB open just to be sure (I expect the game to be about 3.5GB).

acme420 said:
hello, do you know what the **** a benchmark is? those are called system requirements not benchmarks. theres already a system requirements hread why is this still open?

Hail to the smart ass, who has just repeated the same thing that people have already mentioned. :hmph:

It's a mistake, I'd have editted it if it weren't for the 15 min edit limit thing. Jeez, get a life.

acme420 said:
Chill out. He made a mistake & people have already told him. Don't take out your anger on other just because your (obviously) lousy threads gets closed.

2.4 GHz CPU means what in AMD language? Athlon XP 2500+ or Athlon 64 3400+ ???

With all the people I have seen claim that hl2 is sooooooo scaleable and the Doom3 engine is soooooo overly demanding, it's funny to me to see that the minimum and reccomended system requirements are virtually identical for both games.

gg. :naughty:

Probably because certain people have moaned about certain little things like HDR and so on, and their selfish me, me, me attitude has meant they had to forget about making it so scalable, and instead go for super shiny spinny superficial that everyone wants.

Pointing no fingers, of course.

The.Spiral said:
2.4 GHz CPU means what in AMD language? Athlon XP 2500+ or Athlon 64 3400+ ???

What you are failing to realize is infact that the GHz part is the MOST misleading part of all.

We have 1000MHz VIA cpu's loosing to 500MHz p3's, we got 400MHz PPC's whacking 700MHz p3. And etc etc.(Can't remember how accurate these numbers are or what is used for them)

The only problem with the modelnumbers is how to set them. If we set an overall we're allowing multimedia benchmarks to suck, as long as other benchmarks are fine.

If we put modelnumbers for each benchmark, it get's too advanced. And GHz can mean absolute everything.

You don't exactly go around calling your wlan a gaming lan because it operates at the 2,4GHz band now do you?

As for what will be low end in 2006, you can pretty much believe that at the very least, the 3.2 Ghz will be low end. We've been kinda slowly pushing processor power the past year and half...but by 2005 things will pick up with Intel rolling out the 7 Ghz CPU's, and by late 2006, we'll be pushing the 9 Ghz barrier with awesome bus speeds.

Measuring the low end high end is not done by what your CPU can do, but what the highest CPU coming out then can do. When things start rolling, they roll faster and faster.

I dont see what peoples problems with the cpu raise is :p i mean come on man...how much does a 1.2ghz cpu cost? £30

Wash a few cars, mow a few lawns.

Edit/ I didnt realise how many pages this had lol, my comment is from the first page :hmph:

Really a person who still has a 700 mhz PC who wants to play HL2 has no sympathy from me.

If you can't afford a 1.2 Ghz CPU, then you shouldn't be gaming at all in the first place. You should be working your ass off in school getting your education so you can get a job and money. Or working your ass off period.

Who says people can't afford it? Maybe they are just not so sad as to spend time keeping up with all the fads and trends in computer hardware and spending cash they could use on more sociable things.

Personally I meet the recommended requirements, but that doesn't mean I can't see why people who have been playing Valve's games for these last 5 years don't have any reason to be bothered by the latest installment requiring a 1GHz PC.

Less of the "I piss on you if you don't buy a new PC every three months" attitude. Lots of people are still running ridiculously low end systems, though the Steam hardware survey doesn't appear to corroborate that, this is simply because people with lower end systems are probably all still on WON, since Steam ran so badly in the early days, and these are the type of people who don't keep up to date with a running commentary of what Gabe's most popular brand of toilet roll is.

Really a person who still has a 700 mhz PC who wants to play HL2 has no sympathy from me.

That's my statement buddy. If you're fine with your 700 mhz then hey, swell for you, I don't care. But if you want to game and your stone aged computer can't handle it, don't go whining to companies for being inconsiderate. :rolling:

brink's said:
From what valve has told us no Nvidia card below the 6800 will run HL2 at decent frame rates.
If you think that's what Valve has told us then you haven't been paying attention.

I have an FX 5900, and I plan on playing at either 1024x768 or 800x600 with no AA/AF. I'm not one to have a heart attack if there is a jagged edge on the G-Man's ear when I'm looking at him, while running away from a strider.

All I need to upgrade is my mobo and CPU. It's all in my sig.

Polykarbon said:

Exactly. People seem to ignore the fact that Gabe's infamous "talk shit about nVidia" speech was made while standing in front of a big-ass ATi banner.

Polykarbon said:
I can't wait to boot this game up on my Commodore 64! Frag my friends with my 2400 Baud modem!
2400 baud modem? I hate it when people brag about their 1337 system specs. I still have a 300 baud modem. Not all of us can afford to upgrade every time new technology comes out. Money doesn't grow on trees, you know!

Mountain Man said:
Exactly. People seem to ignore the fact that Gabe's infamous "talk shit about nVidia" speech was made while standing in front of a big-ass ATi banner.
People seem to ignore the fact that, Gabe's infamous "talk shit about nvidia" was a fact.

And unfortunately Geforce 6800 isn't that different. It does have SM3.0 but noone knows if it will actually be able to render anything that SM2.0 can't. It is just a small speedoptimizer. So it might be the samw as Ati's x800. Now ask yourself, if the Geforce 6800 only can get performance similar to x800, how the hell can an outdated piece of hardware ever get quicker?

FISKER_Q said:
People seem to ignore the fact that, Gabe's infamous "talk shit about nvidia" was a fact.
First of all, the problems were not as severe as Gabe made it seem. He overstated a couple of minor weaknesses in nVidia cards with the sole intent of making ATi's primary competitor look bad. Secondly, any problems pointed out in his little paid-for diatribe were in the process of being resolved by nVidia or were resolved shortly after. In fact, drivers released last year brought nVidia right back to within 10% of ATi's performance and further improvements in both hardware and software have continued to close the gap. I suspect when Half-Life 2 is released, one would be hard pressed to find any noticable differences between the game running on ATi and nVidia hardware.

And those, my friend, are the facts.

Acme you always have something brilliant to share with the community, five stars for you my friend...

Yeh... I still have a Ti 4200 and it will kick HL2's ass...

Some_God said:
Yeh... I still have a Ti 4200 and it will kick HL2's ass...

i have the same card...lets hope it will kick HL2s ass cause i cant upgrade for awhile :p

w0rd^ ... I heard that they will run the game pretty well and use some shader effects... but I wonder what those shader effects will be...

lol, ive seen that the TI series can be better than the FX5600 (which ive got...bring on my 9600XT in a week hehe), i dont think anyone should be worrying about cards for hl2 tbh...the engine is designed to suite the computer its on (like farcry), so CPU and RAM are going to be just as important. whats the point in buying a x8000000XTAZF super-ultra 3000 when uve only got a XP2000+ and 215mb RAM lol. mobo will make a biiiiiiiiigggggg dif aswell...

Mountain Man said:
First of all, the problems were not as severe as Gabe made it seem. He overstated a couple of minor weaknesses in nVidia cards with the sole intent of making ATi's primary competitor look bad. Secondly, any problems pointed out in his little paid-for diatribe were in the process of being resolved by nVidia or were resolved shortly after. In fact, drivers released last year brought nVidia right back to within 10% of ATi's performance and further improvements in both hardware and software have continued to close the gap. I suspect when Half-Life 2 is released, one would be hard pressed to find any noticable differences between the game running on ATi and nVidia hardware.

And those, my friend, are the facts.

You forget the fact that nvidia and valve coorporated on those issues, and were a part of the delay in 2003.

If i have to customize my software that much, it sucks wether it have the optimized code or not.

So you might have the same performance, but you're still missing the work that went behind it.

It's not exactly bullshit that reviewers of the 6800 ultra, actually wouldn't recommend 1600x1200 with aa and af, when playing games. Of course the situation has also changed now. Geforce 6800 ultra now have the technology to make better IQ than ATi, but it's not a feat they've been up to, nor do any reviewers think their gpu has the power to actually use those improvements properly.

Gabe Newell and his crew is not only optimizing the ati hardware, but in generally every hardware. And if he exaggerated everything i find it hard to believe that reviewers were stating somewhat the same.

Nvidia might be good on the OpenGL side, but that's not enough to be better than ati at the moment.

Mountain Man said:
If you think that's what Valve has told us then you haven't been paying attention.
Ok besides the Ti's I meant, but he said the Fx's will have some fps problems. But that was so long ago Im sure they've scaled it better know.

Back