PC Gamer Exclusive Half-Life 2 Review

PingaDPalo said:
ok guys

I think that PC Gamer know that the game is going to be released pretty soon, that why they are "rushing" to get a review on HL2 here in USA in front of their competency...Maybe they planned to the review on the November issue, but they were not sure about HL2 release (because of this hole legal issues) and they launched the QUAKE 4 preview...Thus I think that this is good news...

thanks...

Or, back in the land of the sane. They are releasing the review of Half-Life 2 earlier because other magazines have the review and they want to sell more copies. Also, they didn't actually have a review of Half-Life 2 last issue because they only played the game at the start of September (sometime between the 5th and the 13th).

I'd imagine it would be officially until the magazine's street date for those who already know of the review. But as soon as it hits subscribers, which should hopefully be any time now, the temptation to be the first to post information on the net will hopefully be too great for some. :)

Freakaloin said:
the scans are already out...but u ain't gonna find out where from me...

so why the ****you are telling us this? egoistic dude....

who decides when the game can be reviewed, Valve or VUG? If it's VUG, then it seems the legal issues are well on the way to being sorted and the game should be out soon. If it's Valve, it could be a way of saying, "yeah, sure you could make us wait six months, but you'd be wasting a LOT of free advertising as every PC mag around is gonna get a review now." Since the mags went to Valve, I'm leaning towards the latter point of view and find it pleasing that Gabe and co can posture just as well as the big guys :)

Wraithen said:
who decides when the game can be reviewed, Valve or VUG? If it's VUG, then it seems the legal issues are well on the way to being sorted and the game should be out soon. If it's Valve, it could be a way of saying, "yeah, sure you could make us wait six months, but you'd be wasting a LOT of free advertising as every PC mag around is gonna get a review now." Since the mags went to Valve, I'm leaning towards the latter point of view and find it pleasing that Gabe and co can posture just as well as the big guys :)

Valve invited the magazines over to play it.

Feath said:
Valve invited the magazines over to play it.

Where did you hear this?

It seems highly unplausible that VALVe would invite so many magazines (and magazines from other countries, such as Belgium) to their neck of the woods to play through their entire game and complete it for a review.

Shuzer said:
Where did you hear this?

It seems highly unplausible that VALVe would invite so many magazines (and magazines from other countries, such as Belgium) to their neck of the woods to play through their entire game and complete it for a review.

Well, everyone who did the Half-Life 2 previews back before E3 was invited.

Anyway, here's the evidence:

The PC Gamer UK preview page says that the reviewer went away and played it.

OPENING THE VALVE... that unleashes Half-Life 2. Jim went, he played, and came back a gibbering, teary-eyed wreck. The best game of all time? Finid out here.
From: http://www.futurenet.com/pcgamer/ma...bsectionid=1048

And the guy who reviewed it was away for a week earlier this month.

05 / 09 / 2004
Sunshine is really very distracting.

Just a quick update before I plunge back into a load of writing. I'm away for a week, so no updates until at least next sunday. I know, but it's going to be worth the wait, I think. Don't be too sad while I'm gone.

13 / 09 / 2004
Well, I'm back. Lots of events. Had an adventure. Will talk about it all at some later date. In the meantime, I have much work to do.
From: http://rossignol.cream.org/ (The guy that's reviewing Half-Life 2)

..are you replying to me?

I'm saying, it's highly unlikely that they'd invite these magazines to their headquarters to play through the game for a review, as opposed to sending out their final RC to these magazines.

Edit: Hmm.. interesting way to review the game, if that's what VALVe did indeed so. I guess it was for added security

Shuzer said:
Where did you hear this?

seems like a great way of making sure a review copy doesn't make it onto the internet before the game gets released. I am curious how long they got with the game though.

To send people over to Valve would certainly be the most secure method initally before release to let magazines exclusively reviewing the game do so.

Considering the high profile nature of Half-Life 2, if I were Valve I'd be worried about someone, somewhere, leaking a sent review copy onto P2P sites. It recently happened with Outrun 2 in the UK, and that isn't even anywhere near as high-profile.

Well, actually, Freakaloin is right. There are some Pcgamer scans around already, but I don´t know if they´r fake files or not.

kikekun said:
Well, actually, Freakaloin is right. There are some Pcgamer scans around already, but I don´t know if they´r fake files or not.

Well, if they have new screenshots and actual text then they aren't fake. It just be easy to see.

must be fake... what's the policy on linking fake scans? :angel:

Well if those of you who've seen these mysteriously elusive scans have encountered information on the review... Why have you refrained from providing a short summary or report on the score percentage?

Feath said:
Well, if they have new screenshots and actual text then they aren't fake. It just be easy to see.

What´s around is a RAR file...

So grab the rar file, decompress it, and check out the pics. Let us know if they are legit or not.

scans, rar, downloads... hl2?

pics... you said pics... *points* he said pics!!

sounds like trouble.

i dont see why you all are going crazy, its just a review. plus, i trust the uk pcg, never read the us version, but they gave D3 94%, 91 was bad enough. oh well, hope you guys get it the same day as i get the uk version, or read myt mates subs copy...

rf

Freakaloin said:

Why mention it? Even if they are real you are only mentioning to rub our noses in it. It's annoying and pointless.

Feath said:
Why mention it? Even if they are real you are only mentioning to rub our noses in it. It's annoying and pointless.
u have anger issues u need to work on...live and let live man...

djrobo said:
So grab the rar file, decompress it, and check out the pics. Let us know if they are legit or not.

Yeah, there are just 5000 people on queue before me, so probably HL2 will be out before then, I think.
Anyway, this stuff is not really legal, so I don´t want to be banned at all.

Rossell said suprn***!! Mods ban him thats some serious illegal stuff

kikekun said:
Yeah, there are just 5000 people on queue before me, so probably HL2 will be out before then, I think.
Anyway, this stuff is not really legal, so I don´t want to be banned at all.

How big is it? It will take people about a minute or so to download it. So I queue should go pretty fast.

Yes!

I'm going to buy PCGamer, I never buy it usually, I just read it in TESCO. But this time is different, I want it so I can spend as much time reading it as I want, and also so I can hang it up on my wall. :E

I think that the front cover is great, very simplistic, because the logo is all it needs, nothing else has to be said.

About the mag being a full front page with no other games on it, that is seriously cool, never have I seen a mag with a full front cover 100% dedicated to the one game!!!

My guess for the score is 97%, no game will ever be perfect...

Back