PC Gamer UK Score

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dabs said:
Nope, it's not. I've just been talking to a friend over MSN, and he's been showing me his Half-Life 2 PCG issue over webcam. It DID get 96%, was reviewed by Jim Rossignol and the thumbnail review reads: "A symphony of shooting, a ballad of blastery. Gordon's story finds a new and astonishing trajectory in a brutal dystopia. Own this."

I was sceptical myself until talking to him and seeing the mag. The rest of the subscribers will be getting the mag tomorrow onwards, if they haven't already today, and I'll be picking up a copy myself when it's on newstands on the 5th October.
finally well be receiving some additional info from the freakni review...i hope

ukfluke said:
never listen to what game magazines say they are noobs at reviewing games.

I always find it amusing when someone refers to actual person with n00b :)

Freakaloin said:
do u guys hang video game posters on ur ceilings above ur beds? or maybe cut out reviews from mags and paste em up there?
Ehrm I have game posters everywhere ecept on the ceiling. I've got 1 WC3: FT, 1 huge Mafia wall scroll, Some DOAX thingie I got from a store, 1 FarCry poster, 2 Castlevania's, 1 of Rikku from FFX-2, 1 Hitman 3, 1 Doom 3 & 1 Transformers up right now :E And more in my closet which I don't have on the walls because of underage members in my family ;) Mmm Ivy...

ukfluke said:
subtlesnake my point is they thought D3 was a frickin amazing game except it wasnt. I'll judge for myself what HL2 is like and I couldnt give a crap about what any magazine gives it.

edit: so they both come in the exceptional cat see?
Well, what I'm saying is you can still draw useful conclusions from the review. When they talk about derivative gameplay you just say to yourself "no I'm not going to like this game". And in the same way I want to get my hands on the HL2 review just to know exactly what is good.

Fair grades - Dom't compare Apples and Orgies

I thought D3 was great. 90% is fair. But my expectations of HL2 are a quantum leap beyond what I asked of D3.

If HL2 meets 96% of what I'm hoping for.... then its a more intense eletronic experience than an acid trip in the electric chair, with Jennifer Connelly wiggling on my lap!!! :cheese:

Amazing how this thread grew ever since it was put up on the main page. From 6 pages long to 25.

Guys, could you tell me what PCG UK gave Far Cry? Judging from the comments, 96 is an incredible score from PCG UK and I'm very happy to hear that they liked it so much, definitely a good sign. What I wonder, though, is that all these reviews coming out seem to be 8+ pages... I wonder if it's something that Valve required from the magz in order to get the exclusive? I'm always a bit worried about these "world exclusives", the score often is waayyyy better than it should be (case in point: PCG US and D3). :sniper:

I'm really anxious to find out what HL2 gets in our very own Finnish gaming magazine, Pelit. I used to be a subscriber years ago, and they always seemed to be very objective, never buying into the hype/exclusive review!!!! sort of stuff, and were always quite modest when it came to giving great scores. I believe they gave D3 87 (another reviewer gave 82, they usually have multiple guys reviewing the big games). The first Half-Life got an amazing score of 98 and I'm really excited to see if the sequel lives up to the first one in their eyes. One of the main reviewers in the magazine wrote an article a while ago where he "whined" that there hasn't really been any _amazing_ (fps) games lately, but as FC, D3 and HL2 were not released back then (early 2004), he expressed his hopes that at least one of these games would be the new "messiah" so to speak. He wasn't expecting much from the first two, but put his hopes on HL2, saying that if someone CAN do it, it's Valve. Looks like he was right. :thumbs:

"A symphony of shooting, a ballad of blastery. Gordon's story finds a new and astonishing trajectory in a brutal dystopia. Own this."

w00t!!!!!!!

fare point subltsnake. yes u canb get an idea but i just dont want this to be another doom 3 . peace

fish99 said:
Errr.... sorry but I don't have a clue what you mean. If you're suggesting I'm some other regular or maybe Scroggles ;) posting under another account, then sorry no.
No, no. I thought I read earlier that you have log in as Fish99 in order to flame someone without getting banned. Called him a "city banker". Stick. End. Of. Wrong, I suppose! :)

What's the holdup on more information? Maybe those who got the magazine can't read?

POST SOME INFO YOU MORONS.

This thread has grown massively over the last few hours I've been out so I'm probably just re-iterating something the other moderators have said but please do not request scans and certainly do not post them.

Anyone requesting or posting scans will probably be banned without warning until further notice.

perrkele said:
Guys, could you tell me what PCG UK gave Far Cry? Judging from the comments, 96 is an incredible score from PCG UK and I'm very happy to hear that they liked it so much, definitely a good sign. What I wonder, though, is that all these reviews coming out seem to be 8+ pages... I wonder if it's something that Valve required from the magz in order to get the exclusive? I'm always a bit worried about these "world exclusives", the score often is waayyyy better than it should be (case in point: PCG US and D3). :sniper:

I'm really anxious to find out what HL2 gets in our very own Finnish gaming magazine, Pelit. I used to be a subscriber years ago, and they always seemed to be very objective, never buying into the hype/exclusive review!!!! sort of stuff, and were always quite modest when it came to giving great scores. I believe they gave D3 87 (another reviewer gave 82, they usually have multiple guys reviewing the big games). The first Half-Life got an amazing score of 98 and I'm really excited to see if the sequel lives up to the first one in their eyes. One of the main reviewers in the magazine wrote an article a while ago where he "whined" that there hasn't really been any _amazing_ (fps) games lately, but as FC, D3 and HL2 were not released back then (early 2004), he expressed his hopes that at least one of these games would be the new "messiah" so to speak. He wasn't expecting much from the first two, but put his hopes on HL2, saying that if someone CAN do it, it's Valve. Looks like he was right. :thumbs:

Farcry got 93%, farcry is amazing, beats the ass off doom 3.

As soon as you reach 90% each extra point is exponential. ie: 91 (10 times better than the 90% games; 92, 100 times better than 90% games .... 96 a million times better than 90% games). :)

lazicsavo said:
As soon as you reach 90% each extra point is exponential. ie: 91 (10 times better than the 90% games; 92, 100 times better than 90% games .... 96 a million times better than 90% games). :)
I agree. There's a much larger difference between 96 and 90 compared to 76 and 70!

lol i sound like a a lunatic when i say that.

Serial45 said:
Farcry got 93%, farcry is amazing, beats the ass off doom 3.

Don't post if you are just going to make stuff up. It got 91%,

perrkele said:

Yeah, I'm really anxious to see their score. And I think it's going to be high.

They had this to say about Half-Life 1: "An amazing experience. A new role model for the whole genre"
But ironically enough, the only negative thing they found in Half-Life was the multiplayer. It's interesting to see whether history is going to repeat itself.

Irs2k3 said:
Scaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnsssssssss !
Foooooooooorrrrbbbiiiiiddddeeeeeeeennnnnnnnnnnnnn !

Late again...96% is a great score. Especially from a magazine like PCG UK. That's about the best score for a FPS in a while. :)

ChrisD,

Would it be possible to create an info only thread? This one is now huge, but the actual amount of info could probably be held in a single post!

A) 96% score
B) The it is:isn't section
C) The disk screenies.
D) The fact that one(?) other person has said the info is correct

A True Canadian said:
Late again...96% is a great score. Especially from a magazine like PCG UK. That's about the best score for a FPS in a while. :)

A while = about 6 years. The last one was Half-Life.

Scorps said:
And HL Fallout are calling me Scrop

See?! They don't even bother to read your name correctly, but calling you a liar without any proof is completely legitimate :frown: If you didn't post the rate they would even have anything to complain about.

Irs2k3 said:
WWWWWWWHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYY !
legal issues. leave it at that. (i refuse to respond in exagerated streched out words)

Is there truly no one else that has the review and is subscribed to this board?

affen said:
Is there truly no one else that has the review and is subscribed to this board?
I guess not. But when the PCGamer US December issue arrives in my mailbox, I'll be sure to post here first.

Great score, I can't wait for the game to be released.

It is quite obvious that no living creature could withstand a nuclear blast of astronomical proportions, that's why we need to learn from those kind of disasters, particularly those close to Hiroshima, isn't this magnificently true?

I just came from my Uni, and I looked at the AWSOME news.

OMG I am now so relaxed and very happy man. :)

OK people. its 350 posts. Could somebody update me with the latest ?

CrazyHarij said:

It is quite obvious that no living creature could withstand a nuclear blast of astronomical proportions, that's why we need to learn from those kind of disasters, particularly those close to Hiroshima, isn't this magnificently true?
Hidden message: Ineedscanspmme

NO!

Gorgon said:
I just came from my Uni, and I looked at the AWSOME news.

OMG I am now so relaxed and very happy man. :)

OK people. its 350 posts. Could somebody update me with the latest ?

lol, ditto

good news, :)

I want to know more :E I want to know everything!

CrazyHarij said:

ROFL!! ;) what he said :thumbs:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back