PC Gamer UK Score

Status
Not open for further replies.
96% !! Great ! I don't know what PCgameplay were thinking.

If there isn't any info from other people with the mag in say 4 hrs time, I'd be very surprised. Just trust Scroggs for now :LOL:

LOL! I didn't know I had un account here. I just tried to log in with my usual name and password and it worked! Must have been along time ago...

Anyway! 96% is alot. Swedish PC Gamer didn't have any review. Rome Total War got 94% in the swedish PC Gamer

I got half of my wish for today, I found out the total score. Now I just need to know the pros and cons they give and I will be totaly happy.

Finally we get some ****ing good news!! :D (I almost never swear on here so that just goes to show how ****ing excited I am)

96% is an amazing score considering HL1 recieved the same score and it was far more revolutionary than HL2. In other words, this game is going to be utterly fantastic!!!!

MrPlow said:
LOL! I didn't know I had un account here. I just tried to log in with my usual name and password and it worked! Must have been along time ago...

Anyway! 96% is alot. Swedish PC Gamer didn't have any review. Rome Total War got 94% in the swedish PC Gamer

january if i recall...

Scorps, where is the Bloody review !

At least post some Quotes from Jim Rossignol damn it !

Great I guess.. 96 isnt bad at all.. but I expected more to be honest..

vetebulle said:
What did PCGameplay give it?
90%/100%

BTW: PCGamer UK rewarded Half-Life 2 with a fantastic score...Now I wonder what PCGamer US will give it.

well doom 3 got 95% and that was shit. Does this mean Hl2 is just slightly better than shit? never listen to what game magazines say they are noobs at reviewing games.

User Name said:

This is NOT CONFIRMED, I repeat NOT CONFIRMED.

It came from some guy at a forum who said he looked in one of the magazines at a warehouse..

User Name said:
90%/100%

BTW: PCGamer UK rewarded Half-Life 2 with a fantastic score...Now I wonder what PCGamer US will give it.

which is lower than FarCry btw.

fish99 said:
If there isn't any info from other people with the mag in say 4 hrs time, I'd be very surprised. Just trust Scroggs for now :LOL:

True. BTW, do you have another account? You logged in as Fish99 to avoid being banned, right?

Xenome said:
This is NOT CONFIRMED, I repeat NOT CONFIRMED.

It came from some guy at a forum who said he looked in one of the magazines at a warehouse..
Oh yeah! Forgot about that. :O It could be complete bullshit. :sleep:

do u guys hang video game posters on ur ceilings above ur beds? or maybe cut out reviews from mags and paste em up there?

ukfluke said:
well doom 3 got 95% and that was shit. Does this mean Hl2 is just slightly better than shit? never listen to what game magazines say they are noobs at reviewing games.
Why do so many people not realize that this 96% is from the UK version of PC Gamer, they gave Doom 3 a 90% while the US edition gave it a 94%.

Freakaloin said:
do u guys hang video game posters on ur ceilings above ur beds? or maybe cut out reviews from mags and paste em up there?

Not really, but I did cut a hole in a HL2 poster where Alyx's mouth was once, erm..I'll leave that story.

lol freakaloin. i'd love someone to give hl2 55% or something just to watch the online riots commence :)

Dead-Inside said:
I'm sorry but I was under the impression that games were rated on how fun they were to play?

yes but you need to seperate the genres.

I.E. A rpg cant be compared to a racing game.

User Name said:
Oh yeah! Forgot about that. :O It could be complete bullshit. :sleep:

Nope, it's not. I've just been talking to a friend over MSN, and he's been showing me his Half-Life 2 PCG issue over webcam. It DID get 96%, was reviewed by Jim Rossignol and the thumbnail review reads: "A symphony of shooting, a ballad of blastery. Gordon's story finds a new and astonishing trajectory in a brutal dystopia. Own this."

I was sceptical myself until talking to him and seeing the mag. The rest of the subscribers will be getting the mag tomorrow onwards, if they haven't already today, and I'll be picking up a copy myself when it's on newstands on the 5th October.

mullinator 90% is way way way too high for D3 lol. can u please quantify the diffirence between 90 & 94 %? no i didnt think so.

Hahah, man sorry to say, but sometimes HL2 community kills me...
Hey guys, we are heading straight to battle.net level!

Dabs said:
Nope, it's not. I've just been talking to a friend over MSN, and he's been showing me his Half-Life 2 PCG issue over webcam. It DID get 96%, was reviewed by Jim Rossignol and the thumbnail review reads: "A symphony of shooting, a ballad of blastery. Gordon's story finds a new and astonishing trajectory in a brutal dystopia. Own this."

I was sceptical myself until talking to him and seeing the mag. The rest of the subscribers will be getting the mag tomorrow onwards, if they haven't already today, and I'll be picking up a copy myself when it's on newstands on the 5th October.
Yes...I know that this PCGamer UK review is indeed the truth. But I was relating to the PCGameplay NL review, which has not yet been confirmed as real.

ukfluke said:
mullinator 90% is way way way too high for D3 lol. can u please quantify the diffirence between 90 & 94 %? no i didnt think so.
The difference is actually very large. Remember, the higher the score the more each point is worth.

And the review was very critically written, justifying the 90% in terms of the graphics and overall 'atmosphere'.

ukfluke said:
The difference between a 95 and a 96 is alot bigger than the difference between an 85 and an 86. Once you get into the 90's scores a small difference in score means a hell of alot.

CombineHarvester said:
True. BTW, do you have another account? You logged in as Fish99 to avoid being banned, right?

Errr.... sorry but I don't have a clue what you mean. If you're suggesting I'm some other regular or maybe Scroggles ;) posting under another account, then sorry no.

Freakaloin said:
wow...no wonder u guys can't get laid...

I love these comment, which only serve to start flame wars and don't offer anything to the discussion. Next time shut your yap, go out and get laid, if it does ya fine.

I know many members here that hava a family and kids.

On a lighter side, and pertaining to this forum, IGN has released a neat summery (rather funny) of everything we know about HL2. Naturally it's full of holes, but some of the jokes are good.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/495/495499p1.html

About the 96%. I feel better having spend so much money pre-ordering the SE :)

DrPowers said:
As long as the game gives me a gaming experience similar to HL1 its going to kick ass and I dont care what score it gets.
I couldn't have said it better myself!!!!!
:bounce:
the only thing this thread has done is make me even more excited about the next game of the year, hehehe

OK guys, just to summarise, because I've now seen the same mistakes made a billion times in this thread.

PCGamer UK gave HalfLife 96% and probably a PCGamer 'Must Buy' award.

PCGamer UK gave Doom3 90%.

PCGamer UK are notoriously tight with their scoring. The only other game to get 96% was Half Life 1. No game has scored higher in this magazine.

The review system for PCGamer UK says this:

"85-89% Excellent
A first-class title that guaruntees great gaming. Fans of the genre will revel in it.

90%+ Exceptional
Instant classic: These games are worth trying even if you dont like the genre."

So 96% from PCGamer UK is an awsome score.
Also, the UK edition of PCGamer does not post Highs and Lows, so stop asking.

-Perros-

subtlesnake my point is they thought D3 was a frickin amazing game except it wasnt. I'll judge for myself what HL2 is like and I couldnt give a crap about what any magazine gives it.

edit: so they both come in the exceptional cat see?

Truly great news! I still wonder if that other magazine report was bogus.. oh well! yay, 96%! I told you it was gonna be good! (wait, no I didn't)

You may have seen this before, its quite good

John Walker said:
//review
Half-Life 2
Valve
Vivendi
£35

Sometimes I'm not entirely sure why it's worth getting out of my large, journalistic bed, just to put myself through yet another review of yet another Valve game. Will they ever learn? Will they ever listen? Perhaps they don't read their critics. Perhaps they can't read at all. It would explain how their games manage to be such incoherent gibberish on each and every occasion.

But wait, hold on - let's be fair. It is improper to judge Half-Life 2 on the developer's previous back catalogue: it must be rated independently. Maybe this will be the one where they /finally/ get their heads around my to make a game. Maybe.

Perhaps there might have been some chance for the sequel if they'd avoided any semblance of a connection to anything in the dreadful Half-Life. Unfortunately, with the kind of arrogance we've come to expect from Valve, there isn't a moment within that isn't a hopeless attempt to recreate what they got so disastrously wrong before. And anyway, since there are now two, shouldn't this be called Whole-Life? But no, even basic arithmetic is beyond their abilities.

So all we are left with is the usual gun-toting alien blast-fest that has bored our brains out for year after year. Weee, look, a new gun! Stop Press! Maybe we should have given this the cover! Sigh. The police should be investigating the robbery taking place when they put a price on the box.

I think I'd have more fun if I'd severed myself in twain, seeing how long I'd survive without half my life. And I'd be a lot prettier to look at too. Just don't.

6%

CB | Para said:
What's so hilariously funny about that? do you realize they're two different games? those scores simply imply that in their respective genres these two games are in the top 10.
No, he didn't realize that. LMAO

Cool, PCgamer hardly ever messes up a score, very cool mag, I will be buying it myself this weekend to read the review myself.

i doubt the ppl here who have family's are debating a score of 96% of a video game in a mag...i hope not for their families sake...

There's so many game's out today that most gamers will only buy game's that score 90% or over, unless they're a fan of a franchise. Meaning as soon as you hit 90% it ends up as another 1 - 10 scale, i.e. every 1% = 10 (well not exactly, but you get my meaning)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back