Post a screenshot!

Aquanox is a submarine-based first-person shooter from 2001. The action is fun, if slow. I play it once every few years.

Oh God, did you try making that gnome look like Mario? :LOL:

Actually no, but he does bear a canny resemblance to Mario :LOL: I might transform him into an Undead though, come Cataclysm. I want to roll a Goblin and my main could be a great sugar daddy.

scrn0003.png

Why are so many things in general blurred out? We may find out how many lives he has left and we can try to kill him!

Probably because he's... CHEATING! :O:O:O:O:O:O:O

Curse you Paskiewicz!! Now I need to go back and play Descent again. I know exactly which level that is too! (not likes it's hard though)

Aliens Versus Predator Classic 2000 on Steam

avpclassic2010011520444.jpg

avpclassic2010011520422.jpg

avpclassic2010011520412.jpg

avpclassic2010011520235.jpg

avpclassic2010011520260.jpg

avpclassic2010011520253.jpg

avpclassic2010011520433.jpg

avpclassic2010011520324.jpg

avpclassic2010011520283.jpg

avpclassic2010011520335.jpg

avpclassic2010011520252.jpg

avpclassic2010011520444.jpg

avpclassic2010011520253.jpg

Looks ropey as **** now but still an immensely brilliant game.

I like AvP 2 best, especially for the storyline. The idea of intertwining three different stories and make them mutually inclusive is awesome.

I like AvP 2 best, especially for the storyline. The idea of intertwining three different stories and make them mutually inclusive is awesome.

Technically the first one was best though, such as having full dynamic lighting which the AI reacted to in various states of nervousness, and Alien AI that was not scripted and could track it prey from any point in the level. Not to mention the more fluid Alien controls and wall walking. AvP2 adds a story but strips out all of the things that made the original such a scary and challenging game. It removed the dynamic lighting so as an Alien you had to work with the lighting Monolith designed the levels with, they completely removed any dynamic AI instead replacing it with the usual scripted alien placement which was the same every time. They even had aliens that 80% of the time choose to run directly at the player instead of flanking him from the ceiling or running around the walls. It was like playing Alien trilogy sometimes. Don't get me wrong, I liked the sequel, it was just a disappointment that after I had become such a big part of the AvP community this game didn't live up to the standards set by the first.

I LOL'd. BTW, I was surprised how crap Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines looks compared to HL2, considering it's the Source engine in both cases.

awpg.jpg

I LOL'd. BTW, I was surprised how crap Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines looks compared to HL2, considering it's the Source engine in both cases.

I remember when I was playing it the first time. In the intro there was some kind of glitch with the animations, the neck would stretch out like someone was pulling it, it looked so hilariously bad. You would also have female characters walking with male character animations. But while the tutorial map was very awful looking, later maps started to look better and better. I think it was a case of them not knowing the engine so well yet.

Bloodlines was released before HL2 and the Source engine wasn't fully finished then. I think it looks very good and the facial animations are still some of the best in the industry.

Bloodlines was released before HL2 and the Source engine wasn't fully finished then. I think it looks very good and the facial animations are still some of the best in the industry.

For once you're wrong Mikael, believe it or not.

Bloodlines didn't come out(officially anyway) until November the 16th 2004, same day as HL2.

Yeah, it didn't come before HL2. I would imagine that Troika wasn't as proficient with the Source engine as Valve, but still - the difference is significant.

Facial animations are OK, but they're not better than HL2's. The voice acting, however, is really good.

When playing a Source game/mod I can generally feel that it's the Source engine; this however feels much different. I actually though the engine felt a bit like the Deux Ex' in this one (though it of course looks better).

EDIT: I just checked that DX is on the Unreal engine. So I guess it goes down to location size, NPC behaviour etc., rather than the engine.

...will definitely be buying the first, thanks.

edit - downloading now!

<3 Steam

The voice acting, however, is really good.

only in some cases...a good portion of it is absolutely horrible.

chick in clinic and chick in that 9th circle hideout...(I think it might be the same voice actor).

also Vampire; bloodlines is an excellent reminder that it's not about the engine but about the people behind the engine....as someone else already said the game looks horrible compared to Half life 2.

it's pretty obvious that troika was new to the whole 1st person/3d thing. lots of the props and scenery in the game got completely wrong size scales...

Troika wasn't new to 3D, they were new to Source Engine. It was explained by devs on some interviews, they were having some serious issues. Source was also under construction at the time, it wasn't completed. I think voice acting was outstanding, characters were also believable. I wish they had more time to work on it, rather than releasing it early.

For once you're wrong Mikael, believe it or not.

Bloodlines didn't come out(officially anyway) until November the 16th 2004, same day as HL2.

And that disproves my point... how exactly? Bloodlines was developed alongside HL2 on an unfinished engine, given to them by Valve.

Simple as that.

Yeah, it didn't come before HL2. I would imagine that Troika wasn't as proficient with the Source engine as Valve, but still - the difference is significant.

Facial animations are OK, but they're not better than HL2's. The voice acting, however, is really good.

HL2's are pre-scripted events. Bloodlines has a fully fledged, dynamic dialogue system. The latter needs more work, ergo, is better.

Back