Post a screenshot!

Bird of Prey:

BoP1.jpg

BoP2.jpg

BoP3.jpg

Troika wasn't new to 3D, they were new to Source Engine. It was explained by devs on some interviews, they were having some serious issues. Source was also under construction at the time, it wasn't completed. I think voice acting was outstanding, characters were also believable. I wish they had more time to work on it, rather than releasing it early.

Actually, it was released a month after they wanted it to be released. The game was "done" in early October, but contractual agreements between them and valve said they couldn't release until Hl2 was released. Really unfortunate, because I think they were really hurting for cash, which is why they "finished" so early. If the publishers had given them more time (ie: money) they could have cleaned up a lot of the game breakers, and released on a day where everyone wasn't already buying HL2 instead.

HL2's are pre-scripted events. Bloodlines has a fully fledged, dynamic dialogue system. The latter needs more work, ergo, is better.

Which part of my post are you addressing - the facial animations? Not sure what you mean by "dynamic" dialogue system as opposed to pre-scripted events - doesn't it work the same way in both games? I think there's some clever way for the engine to recognize the sounds in an audio file and convert it to lip and facial muscle movements.

Which part of my post are you addressing - the facial animations? Not sure what you mean by "dynamic" dialogue system as opposed to pre-scripted events - doesn't it work the same way in both games? I think there's some clever way for the engine to recognize the sounds in an audio file and convert it to lip and facial muscle movements.

Lip sync is a small part of facial animation, and good lip sync isn't automated.

Troika wasn't new to 3D, they were new to Source Engine.

uuuh...mention another game they made that was 3D...AFAIK they only made Arcanum(bug fest) and Temple of elemental Evil...neither of those have any real 3d environments.

nope, bloodlines was released in nov 2004, company was closed in feb 2005 - are you telling me they did a new engine, and content for that game in a few months?

work on Vampires begun somewhere around 2001....it was released in 2004, in 2004 they where looking for a publisher for that unfinished game. what does that tell you.... obviously if this is the stage the game was in at that point they couldn't have used much if any of the experience creating Bloodlines.

also as I said it's totally a moot point since it's obviously that even if they did they didn't draw on that experience as props scales and a lot of other shit is wrong with bloodlines.(not to mention that the video you posted doesn't really show case enough to show any real proficiency doing 3d...at least I'm not particularly impressed with what I see)

to me it seems quite clear that doing a 1st/3rd person 3D game was new territory for the game developer who's previous works had been 2 isometric Role-playing games.

and it's not the engines fault(proved by Valve) but the people using it.

if you hand a developer the Cry-engine with all the bells and whistles of a next-gen engine and have them start from scratch you're still not guaranteed that end product will match the visuals of crysis...it's still more about the people using the engine than the engine itself.

God the guy you have to assassinate in that level is listening to the most annoying music. Actually, that level in general was one of my least favourite.

and it's not the engines fault(proved by Valve) but the people using it.

if you hand a developer the Cry-engine with all the bells and whistles of a next-gen engine and have them start from scratch you're still not guaranteed that end product will match the visuals of crysis...it's still more about the people using the engine than the engine itself.

I can say from experience that an unfinished engine will without a doubt hinder an artist's abilities. If reimporting assets is a pain in the ass, and the engine doesnt have decent scale and placement tools in its level editor, it usually just isn't worth the effort and time (money) to replace it at all.

decal pivots, wut - is that dev mode or something

Picture itself isn't very interesting I admit. This was the finale screenshot, we had two servers and top guys from that went to the final. Won myself a $50 pair of headphones. Derby - Race - Derby tournament. No one has beaten me in sometime now :D

Untitled.jpg

Testing out the FRAPS feature to automatically take a screenshot every 5 seconds on Water Hazard.

Using a mod called Half Life: Update that runs Half Life 2 in the orange box engine with updated graphics based on the xbox 360 orange box version, and a couple skin packs for weapons and soldiers. The mod also adds in steam achievements copied from the xbox 360 achievements.

Sorry the quality is kind of bad, had to compromise on screenshot quality to avoid taking up too much space.

I'll always remember that barn at the start, on my first playthrough I was so disappointed that the rebels there had been killed.

:( Check out my sweet SMG though!

I admire the balls those metro cops have, standing directly in front of the path of a speeding vehicle trying to shoot at it with dinky pistols.

Speeding crowbars work pretty well on them too.

Here's a bit of a closer look at the altered metro cop outfit I'm using.

I like touching my shiny new magnum.

And another look at the SMG.

Their pitiful barricade of empty wooden boxes didn't even slow me down.

I almost feel sorry for this guy.

But not this one! (pity the mounted gun still looks like crap)

It's a little hard to see, but this metro cop has such gigantic testicles that he's decided to rappel down into my path instead of shooting me from the safety of that bridge. Surely he thought the sheer mass of his balls would be enough to overpower the momentum of my air boat.

My favorite achievement, you have to find all the little supply caches that are marked with lambda symbols, and you don't get any fancy radar to tell you where they are.

Hm, sometimes I think the reflections turn out better than the actual scenery.

I admire the rebels new urban camo while this nice vort preps my new gun.

And I get an achievement for it!

Haha, now I can fight back!

In between bursts of violent combat, I take a moment to appreciate the sun beginning to set.

Looks like the chopper didn't take the hint the last several times I shot him up.

Oh shi-, he looks angry!

But I've got him on the run.

And down he goes! Netting me another new achievement as well.

And the sun finally sets on another day in the life of Gordon Freeman.

I tried that HL2 Update mod but ditched it in the end as there are a number of bugs.

Still waiting for Valve to release an official update for HL2. It's long overdue. Hey, Valve, is there anybody in there?

Testing out the FRAPS feature to automatically take a screenshot every 5 seconds on Water Hazard.

Using a mod called Half Life: Update that runs Half Life 2 in the orange box engine with updated graphics based on the xbox 360 orange box version, and a couple skin packs for weapons and soldiers. The mod also adds in steam achievements copied from the xbox 360 achievements.

What settings are you running the game at? I remember my regular HL2 looking better quality (besides the HDR).

What settings are you running the game at? I remember my regular HL2 looking better quality (besides the HDR).

It's mainly because of the FRAPs settings I was using (and a little because of imageshack not liking huge image files) that the screenshots look a little bad.

Here's a normal screenshot.

Vs. FRAPs settings I used that run.

The top one was also 3x larger in filesize than the bottom one before I changed it to a png. In retrospect I should have changed the format FRAPs was saving the images in, but I think it automatically sacrifices a certain level of quality anyways when you use autoscreenshot mode, to avoid slowdowns.

As far as models and textures go, it's mostly only the major characters that got changed in HL:U. But fire and explosions and certain other effects also look better because it's running the Orange Box engine. And of course the HDR looks amazing and the achievements are fun.

Oh, and the settings were all max, 4xAA, 8xAF.

And down he goes! Netting me another new achievement as well.

It surprised me with the achievement. I thought Valve didn't update that game with features like Xbox 360.

I've installed and played it. It is good and fun as well as collecting achievements. It has one problem... Close-captions sometimes not display. =/

It surprised me with the achievement. I thought Valve didn't update that game with features like Xbox 360.

Valve didn't, all Valve did was allow mods to have their own achievements and the guy made copies of the xbox achievements.

Easy way to make money: make hentai games.

I'm not really a manga/anime fan and never was, but I remember playing a few enjoyable hentai titles, probably when I was around 15-16 (yay, hormones). Season of Sakura was my favourite one I think. There was also Runaway City which I think I never completed (perhaps lost my savegames) and some other title which started with you getting lost in the woods and waking up while being ****ed by some chick in a mansion. Those were the only ones with decent art. Oh, and Immoral Study.

My favourite H-Game remains the controversial RapeLay!

I mean, name me one other game that features such a realistic depiction of rape and the possible consequences of it.

You can get the girl pregnant, the girl can kill you, you can kill yourself because the girl managed to escape etc.

All sorts of realistic shit!

I prefer not to call it a rape-game, but rather an educational game about the consequences of rape and the effect it has on the human mind.

My favourite H-Game remains the controversial RapeLay!

I mean, name me one other game that features such a realistic depiction of rape and the possible consequences of it.

You can get the girl pregnant, the girl can kill you, you can kill yourself because the girl managed to escape etc.

All sorts of realistic shit!

I prefer not to call it a rape-game, but rather an educational game about the consequences of rape and the effect it has on the human mind.

Am I a bad human for actually looking for this game to download, only to fail?

Am I a bad human for actually looking for this game to download, only to fail?

No, but if you want I could probably find you a download.

my favorite h-game remains yume miru kusuri which is more of a VN, really

Back