Resident Evil Series general discussion

The movies were so damn awful. Being honest though the RE games do have pretty cliché stories but that is all the more reason NOT to make it into a movie. I play them because they remind me of good times. I believe the Silent Hill games are overall better but that in no way makes them bad.

I thought they were entertaining. If something can entertain me, then thats OK.

One thing that was odd was that in RE1 the Licker was a big-bad enemy that was slaughtering people on its own, kinda like a Tyrant. In RE2: Apocolypse, theres a few Lickers, and their dispatched with relative ease just like any other enemy. Albiet, they are killed in a stupid way, but still.

Yeah but Anderson likes to make out that Alice, his own character is oh so awesome. And for that he quite frankly sucks.

I really hope the 5 to be very scary,cuz imo the 4 was not scary at all

The hook man was originally going to be released at RE 4 but sadly it is not released.

But however, hook man is going to make it's debut at RE 5.

You can see the 4 at RE. There is a hook on it. A crooked line.

I'm sorry if this has already been posted, but RE4 has been delayed until September this year, so tough luck for you PS2/GC less people out there.:p

they screwed the series after resident evil 4
I mean resident evil series ment to be a survival herorr
they should made a new series away from resident evil series contains the re4 gameplay. but **** them

At least in RE4, they didn't remove any main characters. Luckily there is still Albert Wesker, Leon Kennedy and Ada Wong. The problem with RE4 is, there is no zombies and the game like you said, should be a survivour horror game.

And I completed RE4. But luckily, RE5 will be releasing a new breed of zombies, the fastest one, maybe. Who knows? We have to wait and drag probably next year 2007 or well, this year.

weskerQ8 said:
they should made a new series away from resident evil series contains the re4 gameplay. but **** them

YOU WIN.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resident_Evil_4#Development_history

Read that for an explanation on the different versions that was developed of RE4, including the hook man version.
I quote.

"After the Fog Version came the Hooked Man Version. First shown at the E3 in 2003, this version was set in a haunted mansion and featured Leon fighting what appeared to be paranormal enemies, such as medieval suits of armor and living dolls. The most notable enemy in this version was the aforementioned "Hooked Man", who was intended to be a recurring enemy in the game, along the lines of the role of The Nemesis from Resident Evil 3. While the game used fixed camera angles similar to the previous Resident Evil games, the targeting system used in the finished product was already implemented in this version, with the camera changing to over Leon's shoulder when his weapon is drawn, though, in the video, there are a few times when Leon aims without the over-the-shoulder camera. Gameplay footage of this version was featured in the Biohazard 4 Secret DVD released in Japan only."

weskerQ8 said:

So fighting for your life against savaged/crazed villagers isn't a survival horror ? Well F*ck me i must've been playing Kirby in dream land.

Drackard said:
So fighting for your life against savaged/crazed villagers isn't a survival horror ? Well F*ck me i must've been playing Kirby in dream land.

The whole RE4 is third-person.

Well, what im just saying that it is third-person shooter game. And I know it's survival horror. But when people sees it, it doesn't looks like one.

Survival horror are the gameplays you see in all Resident evil games except for survivor and RE4.

Drackard said:

Errr, no, it's not. Survival horror is a gameplay aspect, not a scenario. Resident evil 4 is not survival horror, and fighting within a mutated village isn't it either.

Ohhhh shiiittttt. I completly forgot about the Hook-thing in the early trailers of RE4. Weren't you meant to go into one of Umbrellas facilities in that? It looked pretty cool. The Hook Man was hella scary in the trailers. There was no music or anything.

Samon said:
Errr, no, it's not. Survival horror is a gameplay aspect, not a scenario. Resident evil 4 is not survival horror, and fighting within a mutated village isn't it either.

Survival = Attempting to stay alive ??
Horror = Scary Shit ??

Well tbh, i saw both of them in RE4 ...

Wikipedia to the rescue! This should help us all figure out the term survival horror:

Wikipedia said:
Survival horror is a prominent video game genre in which the player has to survive an onslaught of opponents, often undead or otherwise supernatural, typically in claustrophobic environments in a third-person perspective. Horror movie elements are used liberally. The player is typically armed, but not nearly as well-armed as the player in a shooter game. The player's goal is generally to escape from an isolated house or town that is inhabited mostly by zombies and/or monsters through shooting and puzzle solving. Isolation is generally one of the most recurrent themes within this genre.

Survival horror is possibly the only video game genre that is defined primarily by theme rather than gameplay style. Though most commonly associated with the Resident Evil mechanics described above, the genre is also home to beat 'em ups (Nightmare Creatures, Splatterhouse), role playing games (Sweet Home), first-person shooters (Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth, Hungry Ghosts), and text adventure games (Kamaitachi No Yoru). Other games such as the Doom and Castlevania series include horror elements, but such games are not typically considered survival horror because horror is not the defining game play characteristic. However, the subjective nature of such discrepancies can make survival horror a difficult genre to classify.

Well we can at least agree it's a mix of Survival Horror and Third Person Action ? :S

The whole RE4 is third-person.

all of the Resident Evil games are 3rd person. People seem to keep mentioning RE4 as being third person, but all of the RE games are. So..??

I agree that Resident Evil 4 was more action game and less survival horror. This doesn't make it any less great, but I hope no. 5 has some more of the tension found in the original as well as the uber combat.

Yeah i have to say, i did find 4 rather creepy at some points however the remake of RE1 on the cube scared the living p00p out of me :|

Warbie said:
I agree that Resident Evil 4 was more action game and less survival horror. This doesn't make it any less great, but I hope no. 5 has some more of the tension found in the original as well as the uber combat.

It won't have the 'uber combat'. I'm pretty sure Capcom will be going back to original Resident evil survival horror. If they want the 'uber combat', they need a spin off series.

VirusType2 said:
all of the Resident Evil games are 3rd person. People seem to keep mentioning RE4 as being third person, but all of the RE games are. So..??

RE4 - Action/adventure

Rest of the RE's - Survival Horror

Now that should stop some confusion.

Gargantou said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resident_Evil_4#Development_history

Read that for an explanation on the different versions that was developed of RE4, including the hook man version.
I quote.

"After the Fog Version came the Hooked Man Version. First shown at the E3 in 2003, this version was set in a haunted mansion and featured Leon fighting what appeared to be paranormal enemies, such as medieval suits of armor and living dolls. The most notable enemy in this version was the aforementioned "Hooked Man", who was intended to be a recurring enemy in the game, along the lines of the role of The Nemesis from Resident Evil 3. While the game used fixed camera angles similar to the previous Resident Evil games, the targeting system used in the finished product was already implemented in this version, with the camera changing to over Leon's shoulder when his weapon is drawn, though, in the video, there are a few times when Leon aims without the over-the-shoulder camera. Gameplay footage of this version was featured in the Biohazard 4 Secret DVD released in Japan only."

oh right I remnber I read somewhere that capcom hav made lots of vertions before and changed a lot,I remenber the fog thing

Double_Blade said:
Resident evil now comes back to stick together as the playstation series.
Well, RE5 is for the XB360 too, but yeah, it's making a comeback to the PS platform, that's nice, but I'm also glad it's multiplatform, the more people who can enjoy the RE games the better!:LOL:

Samon said:
It won't have the 'uber combat'. I'm pretty sure Capcom will be going back to original Resident evil survival horror. If they want the 'uber combat', they need a spin off series.

5 is using the same gameplay style like in 4.

To Wikipedia!
According to Takeuchi, the game will utilize the same gameplay model introduced in Resident Evil 4, while implementing thematics from the original Resident Evil into the game.
nooooooo.png

Sounds kinkeh .. i have to say, 4 Didn't feel too puzzly compared to the older ones, i'd prefer 5 if it had the action/gameplay style from 4 but had a lot more complex puzzles like in the originals, either way, as long as i still get to keep me shotgun aimed upwards for a few seconds, waiting for that lil zombie to be close enough to breath down the barrel before pulling the trigger, i'll be happy :D

Samon said:

Man You Win

I think the point here is Resident Evil 4 was the first Resident Evil that was fun to play.

DeusExMachina said:
I think the point here is Resident Evil 4 was the first Resident Evil that was fun to play.

to be honest, the whole resident evil seriess was super fun
except the first Person ones

and to be honest again, re4 is not a resident evil game, its just a different game with the same atmosphere of resident evil seriess, for example see super smash, could we call it a mario game or a zelda game with more fun !!

thats what i mean by " THEY SCREWED THE WHOLE SERIESS "

As I copied from Wikipedia however, there were several different versions.:p
The first one played out in Umbrella HQ Europe and on an airship, the second one was the one with the black fog, the third was the one with the hookman..
Edit: I think the first one was another one that went on to become DMC but that vers was never shown as RE4 outside of the company iirc.
IGN also have the exclusive footage of the hookman vers that came with the bonus DVD, the atmosphere looked awsome in that version.:(

Back