Screenshots of HL2 Effects

Is it me, or do the hostage models look like they have normal maps on them?

OMGGASDCD *drools over his keyboard and looks down* shit.. drooled over my keyboard :p
looks awesome.. can't wait to play it.. to bad i don't have a creditcard though :(

The first three are just various sunflares that look pretty remarkable when you see them in motion, and still decent in a screenshot.

The Glass5 shot is a window that I just broke out, and the pieces are of course all physicalized. When they come to rest, each has a reflection map on it, so it will reflect the sky or ground of the environment map as you rotate around it.

The last shot shows a grenade going off and blasting a nearby hostage into the ceiling. Those blood splats actually appear as he hits it, so it looks great in motion. Unfortunately there's no decal on the body from the grenade, but it still looks great.

-UnmarkedOne

Attachments

• flare2.jpg
    flare2.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 852
  • flare3.jpg
    flare3.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 765
  • flare4.jpg
    flare4.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 765
  • glass5.jpg
    glass5.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 909
  • grenade.jpg
    grenade.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 936
UnmarkedOne said:
Hey guys, just posting some screenshots of different Source engine effects for the people still stuck at work, or for those unable to run CS:S for some reason.

The first three shots are effects much like the shiny floor in Dust, though it's great to finally see some variety.

The last two shots are of the glass effects. The first is a pane shattering, obviously, and the second is of me walking through a damaged sheet of glass (if it's already cracked, you can use your momentum to break through it). Take a look at those super-sharp glass textures on the second glass shot... that's insane. Way to go, Valve :D

-UnmarkedOne

Don't think thats Dx9 effects... though i used my Geforce 4 TI on the CS:S beta, and i had those effects...

I WANT HL2... NOW!

figge said:
Don't think thats Dx9 effects... though i used my Geforce 4 TI on the CS:S beta, and i had those effects...

The effects don't require a DX9-based video card, but they do require that you have DirectX9.0b or later on your system.

-UnmarkedOne

UnmarkedOne said:
The effects don't require a DX9-based video card, but they do require that you have DirectX9.0b or later on your system.

-UnmarkedOne
oh... didn't realize that :D
:monkee:

Speaking of... how 'bout some more cool effects :D

The third screenshot of the wood isn't that great, but the wood all over that level looks really good in action. Most of it is very subtly reflective and shimmers as you walk around the rooms. Valve did an awesome job of making killer effects and then still having the restraint use them realistically and in moderation.

-UnmarkedOne

Attachments

• dx9-6.jpg
    dx9-6.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 871
  • dx9-7.jpg
    dx9-7.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 836
  • dx9-8.jpg
    dx9-8.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 845
  • dx9-9.jpg
    dx9-9.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 863
Holy shit!

Pardon my French... Most realistic looking environments, people and wounds EVAR

Stan R.

Is it just me, or are the hostages huge? Or is the player crouching down?

BetaMaster said:
Is it just me, or are the hostages huge? Or is the player crouching down?

Yeah, it's strange looking. If you look at the player models, they're all leaning forward, hunched over, so your eyes are about chest-level with the hostages.

So yeah, the hostages look like giants compared to everyone else. I wish they'd adjust the player eye-height a little, because obviously it was never a problem before.

-UnmarkedOne

Ok. I haven't played any of the levels *online* yet. I've just been content going to "Create Game" and testing out the maps, lol.

The detail in office is fantastic. Individual keys fall off the keyboards when they get shot

ElFuhrer said:
The detail in office is fantastic. Individual keys fall off the keyboards when they get shot

Yeah I noticed that, the detail is incredible. The pictures fall off the walls when you shoot them, the side of the computer case falls off, you can even shoot the ram and heatsink off of the broken computer's motherboard.

-UnmarkedOne

cliffe said:
Glad you guys are enjoying CS:S. We are very happy to get it out there into your hands.

Cliffe
VALVe

kool :),

thank's Cliff, it's great fun (must not get addicted :D ) , you guys rock... best regard's to the rest of the team...

Gabe.. ;)

More shots!

Check the second screenshot, how the water between the bricks reflects the lighted wall realistically. Some of those effects are downright jawdropping. Third screenshot has the same effect, but it's reflecting the sky color.

The fourth shot shows off the 3D skybox, and how Source can render very large objects efficiently, an effect used extensively in the HL2 screenshots I've seen so far.

The last screen shows a dead hostage, eyes closed as he hits the floor. For once the eyes are actually modeled, rather than flipping two textures back and forth for a blink animation, or worse yet having characters that don't blink at all.

-UnmarkedOne

Attachments

• dx9-10.jpg
    dx9-10.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 748
  • dx9-11.jpg
    dx9-11.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 734
  • dx9-12.jpg
    dx9-12.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 719
  • horizon.jpg
    horizon.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 782
  • hostage.jpg
    hostage.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 877
Characters look good. Face & head are the best part of the model. Arm joints are always weird. Some day thought...some day

Here are some screenshots of breakable objects. A cracked TV remote, before and after shots of a potted plant, and a coffee cup.

-UnmarkedOne

Attachments

• models1.jpg
    models1.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 815
  • models2.jpg
    models2.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 793
  • models3.jpg
    models3.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 798
  • models4.jpg
    models4.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 774
Spamming... what you lack in quality, you make up in quantity.

Also a shot of one of the vehicles, in the third pic. Reflective water in the fourth, and a picture that fell off the wall and got wedged behind the couch. Physics are fun!

-UnmarkedOne

Attachments

• lighting1.jpg
    lighting1.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 790
  • spamming.jpg
    spamming.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 779
  • vehic2.jpg
    vehic2.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 761
  • water4.jpg
    water4.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 781
  • physics2.jpg
    physics2.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 783
Wood Effect Pics:

Shots one and two are before and after pics. Notice in the second how I've shot off the seat and legs of the chair, and the back half has come to rest against the wall. The last three pics are of a board nailed across a doorway being broken by gunfire.

I tried this several different times and you really can get the wood to break almost anywhere you want it to, much like in the physics demo movie from E3 2003. You can even splinter the broken pieces a second time, much like the other breakables in CS:S.

-UnmarkedOne

Attachments

• physics3.jpg
    physics3.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 749
  • physics4.jpg
    physics4.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 746
  • wood1.jpg
    wood1.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 727
  • wood2.jpg
    wood2.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 735
  • wood3.jpg
    wood3.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 719
And it shows... the models look really, really impressive even when not being directly affected by a strong light. Send my congrats on to the team, cliffe. CS:S alone puts all of the recent shooters to shame, and we're dying for HL2 :D Bring it on!

-UnmarkedOne

beautiful...just so...beautiful. I have about 30 minutes left on my CS : S download, i can't wait!

Cliffe and valve team, thank you so much for this!

Good to see even though you're under some lawsiuts and stuff with VU, you still manage to give us something to sink our teeth into!

How am i going to study tonight?... psh, i'll do it tomorow.

Thanks again you crazy loons!

Hopefuly we'll see some updates sometime (maybe even before hl2 comes out :x ).

Cs:s simple rocks now all i need is a new comp.

OMFG I CAN'T ****ING BELIEVE ALL THOSE PICTURES!!! IT'S TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE!!!!! :bounce:

Nice

Those pictures are NICE. Thanks UnMarkedOne

:) :) :) :)

I can't wait to play counter strike :sniper:

Those screenshots are pretty awesome. I've been too busy playing and haven't really took the time to notice all that detail. It's amazing.

Raziel-Jcd said:
:flame: :devil: No one is reply to my thread. I put to much work for it to go by like that! :devil: :flame:
Ok, I'll humour you.

I checked it out. You got a ton of pics there, man! Good job.

UnmarkedOne said:
These first two shots show better how you can break models into smaller and smaller pieces.

The last three shots show off the water effects. Water1 is me standing in the water, and it's almost transparent up close (though in the game it distorts the ground quite a bit, so it's much easier to see) and fades to a non-reflective, dirty brown color in the distance. It's really cool how HL2 features many different types of water.

Water2 shows the really detailed splashes, which look even better than what we saw in early CS:S movies. And the last shot again shows off the transparency effect, except unlike Water1 where the water in the distance is flat shaded, this water reflects the archway nicely.

-UnmarkedOne
This THE, I REPEAT THE, I REPEAT THE, I REPEAT THE, I REPEAT THE, I REPEAT THE, I REPEAT THE, I REPEAT THE, I REPEAT THE, I REPEAT THE, I REPEAT THE, I REPEAT THE, I REPEAT THE, I REPEAT THE, I REPEAT THE, I REPEAT THE, I REPEAT THE, I REPEAT THE, I REPEAT THE, I REPEAT THE, I REPEAT THE, I REPEAT THE, I REPEAT THE, I REPEAT THE, I REPEAT THE, I REPEAT THE BEST LOOKING GAME EVER!

Raziel-Jcd said:
:flame: :devil: No one is reply to my thread. I put to much work for it to go by like that! :devil: :flame:

dude i checked it out ... good job man ;) ... u always contribute good efforts to the forum ... i appreciate you , raziel ...

Back