Secret HL2 website

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, it's a google whack for that linux dictionary thing. The question is "Why?"

If you run a search on the term "Gman" (which is also referenced in the 'pwned' html source) in that linux crap, this is what you'll find:

gman
small X/GTK+ based man(1) front−end Gman is nothing else but only a simple front−end for the
original man page system. The most basic job of gman is to build a database for all the man pages and
display them (or part of them) on the screen. When user decides to read a man page, gman will launch
a terminal window and call the original man system to display the man page in the window. Gman
can launch more than one terminal window at same time. And user can use the index search function
to look for the man pages that he needs. It's simple, but it's useful. From Debian 3.0r0 APT

I have no idea what it means, but I just seems too fishy that they would put the google whack, and the term 'Gman' in the metadata section of the html page, and the term Gman shows up on the google page.

my two cents!

MaxiKana said:
I guess the first clue for the next challenge will come in either gabes or gregs next post.

Now they won't post atall, mid fears of a huge paranoia fueled hunt into whatever they say, Clue filled or not!

Ralfst3r said:
1st person sex? I wonder what you can do with the alternate fire key ;)

OMG LMAO :LOL:
aight Ralfster, i think ur curiousity is a little too R rated for this site.. :LOL:

To Adrien C:

They're trying to figure out the second part to the mystery, I'd say, I haven't read some of the last few pages.

By the way, has something new been figured out? Like the word "ducky" found by someone in a text?

You mean this? I don't know what the hell it is. I don't remember ever seeing it in a JPG file.

Attachments

• Ducky.gif
    Ducky.gif
    25.1 KB · Views: 371
I fear the day HL Radio does a show on all this.

X_X

What the...

"yOyA"

That's the nickname to Gloria in spanish, and it's the girl I'm gonna ask out! :|

ok... how's this: if you open the innercity jpg, the first recognizable word is exif. now, googling exif brings up a program for accessing image data (designed for things like shutter speed, f-stop, etc.) I'm going to run it on the images we have thus far. more info forthcoming.

Ralfst3r said:
1st person sex? I wonder what you can do with the alternate fire key ;)
primary fire - thrust
secondary fire - spank

sorry couldnt help myself

Mr. Redundant said:
primary fire - thrust
secondary fire - spank

sorry couldnt help myself

:LOL:

Soooo tempting to add to this, but I'll restrain myself.

Brian Damage said:
Nah, that's the problem; It's the right spelling, but people always say, "Hey, dude, you spelled "Brain" wrong!"...
Ahh i see....can understand the angryness hehe :D

Yeah ok guys i give up :D it is Achilles (especially for those who have seen Troy) but i think i have avoided to only take a greek hero name and use it so i modified it slightly with Akilles
:D

The Innercity jaypeg says something about Adobe Photoshop 7.0 and something that says "exif."

Daegon said:
ok... how's this: if you open the innercity jpg, the first recognizable word is exif. now, googling exif brings up a program for accessing image data (designed for things like shutter speed, f-stop, etc.) I'm going to run it on the images we have thus far. more info forthcoming.

Neat idea.

Holy carp this exif thing tells you all about the image...

The Adobe means its made in Photoshop. (Valve used Photoshop 7 according to Exif)

the comments on photoshop and adobe just show that these images were processed with photoshop 7.0 (haha, VALVe hasn't upgraded to CS) so yeah, nothing there, ducky is weird though.

Did a serach on ducky and Adobe. The ducky merely is some type of thing Adobe puts in the file, along with the word "Adobe"

So nothing there guys.

Did you run exif on the GMAN photo with the test sentence on it. Might yield some clues. :)

Yeah, I found the same thing when pointing the exif reader thingy at the pic of the hl2 logo at e3, it gave me ducky as comment and then said that it couldn't open the exif file.

EXIF data is like a thumbnail (or at least it includes one) embedded in the JPEG file by some imaging programs, I think. Don't quote me on that. I'll look it up when I'm less lazy.

I remember Cat Schwartz posted nude pictures of herself on her blog that had the "good bits" cropped out... but the cropping didn't update the EXIF data. So... with an EXIF reader a few people extracted the original thumbnail of the pictures, blew them up, posted them somewhere, and they spread like wild fire.

I opened Strider.jpg with ducky, and it couldn't be opened...

BUT there was a comment item in there, and it said "Ducky||P"

Prolly nothing.

(Oh, and this is the best damn fun I have had in a while! SUPAR DETECTIvES!!!)

seems to me that some files are not encoded with the extra exif info. (exif = extra information?)

Evil Beaver said:
Did you run exif on the GMAN photo with the test sentence on it. Might yield some clues. :)
The G-Man pic isn't a pic.. You can't save it... Any idea guys? I will try a printscreen...

the gman pic is a background
firefox allows you to view just the background as an image, you can download it from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back