Shadow Bug seems to be fixed! hooray :D

[AUS]-TheOne

Reaction score
This is shown in the new magazine CS source vid...
When a CT goes into a room and is pushing around a table, I can't see the objects on the table showing a shadow on the floor (this could be cause of the crap quality) so hopefully it has been fixed :)

Just thought i would let you guys know :D

Ah yes.... It shall be free to those that buy HL2 Hallelujah! But i bet that's through steam....which i can't use....sob.

CS:S is cool, but looks like that I wont pay for that if it can only be bought from Steam.

Lucifer said:
CS:S is cool, but looks like that I wont pay for that if it can only be bought from Steam.

In the vid it is stated (in german) that you get CS:S for free when you buy HL2.

DeltaBlast said:
In the vid it is stated (in german) that you get CS:S for free when you buy HL2.

Ok. Thanks for reaaally good info. Then I think, how about DoD:S?

[AUS]-TheOne said:
This is shown in the new magazine CS source vid...
When a CT goes into a room and is pushing around a table, I can't see the objects on the table showing a shadow on the floor (this could be cause of the crap quality) so hopefully it has been fixed :)

Just thought i would let you guys know :D

The object on the table doesn't seem to have a shadow at all.

Thats a good thing guys
remember the crane.. showing the shadow of the magnet when it shouldnt
thats my point here.. it seems shadows dont show through objects now :))

[AUS]-TheOne said:
Thats a good thing guys
remember the crane.. showing the shadow of the magnet when it shouldnt
thats my point here.. it seems shadows dont show through objects now :))

No especially when it doesn't have a shadow.

oh, it doesnt even have a shadow showing on the table from the bottle
i see ...
ah crap :(

[AUS]-TheOne said:
i see ...

Which is why the Doom 3 engine will stomp all over the HL2 engine when it comes out, dynamic lighting baby... None of this lightmap and fake shadows nonsense.

The Source engine has full dynamic lighting and fully dynamic shadows, it just executes these in a different way. Source does use lightmaps as well as dynamic lights but that's a design choice rather than a limitation. And the shadows are completely real but like I said, they're just executed differently to D3.

ah dear... you play the game purely for the lighting experience? Gameplay means nothing, story doesn't count, longetivity...who cares?

The next big seller shall obviously be a game whereby you have to go and shine a torch at stuff to make it light up, upon doing this a new level is opened and a harder to find object shall need to be illuminated.

Why is this necessary?

To be fair to him he was talking about engine capability rather than the game. The gameplay, story or longetivity isn't anything to do with the engine as such.

But still, lighting up rooms to finish the game sounds 0wnage :p

And still ID Games is and has always been a showoff of their engine. Can they differ this time?

omg omg happy 300th spam post.

hmm...true.

The engine bit is important... Saying that he gives it as the sole reason for it being able to stomp all over Source, which i also disagree with.

So, soz for misreading and judging based on games, no soz for thinking what you said is wrong.

Rupertvdb said:
ah dear... you play the game purely for the lighting experience? Gameplay means nothing, story doesn't count, longetivity...who cares?

OF course lighting matters, where have you been? did you know that gamespot and IGN review scores are based on the lighting system only? Sheesh get with the times man!

best shadowing and lightmapping ive seen is on the Unreal3 tech demo, but since that's a next-gen engine i'd be stupid to mention it here, and would surely get flamed by all of you.

heh.

Oh my god, is this becoming another engine vs engine thread?

PvtRyan said:
Oh my god, is this becoming another engine vs engine thread?
Indeed, back on topic everyone; these game vs. game threads never go anywhere other than a ball of flames.

Chris_D said:
but that's a design choice rather than a limitation
Well, I see the compiling times as a limitation, although the result feels more natural, which is why I still like HL1's lighting ;)

i dont really care if i see a magnet through a container, as long as i can drop it on some combine!

Was the double-shadowing effect a problem?

Do objects now cast shadows on objects instead of through them?

Not got any recent screenies/footage from Source so I can't tell.

i thought you had the beta...go look on that.

If not it's on the videos, when a crane picks up some crate the can see the cranes shdow where you shouldnt, it overlaps.

There is no beta in the public domain. Betas are semi-complete versions containing bugs.

The leaked source has the double-shadowing problem. I'm asking if this was detected as a problem and corrected, so that objects cast shadows on objects instead of their shadows going through them.

The shadow bugs were noticed by Valve and will be fixed in time for the release. Nuff said.

*Waits for Doom 4: Torch vs Dark Broom Cupboard*

Lucifer said:

I'm sure it will be available retail for about 30 USD if you want to get it in a box, as you can the current (well, 1.5) version, for use with HL-1.

Someone email Gabe and find out about this.

Pobz said:
Betas are semi-complete versions containing bugs.

Sorry, but I can't resist from saying this...

"No shit, sherlock."

*trance over*

[AUS]-TheOne said:
i see ...

No, but projected shadows never show up on entities. So either the thing on the table didn't cast a shadow at all, or there's no shadow'bug' (it's no bug, just a disadvantage of the method they chose) anymore.

I did see the shadow of the table on the other side, yet there was no shadow of the thing on the table.

HeadcrabOnMyAss said:
I'm sure it will be available retail for about 30 USD if you want to get it in a box, as you can the current (well, 1.5) version, for use with HL-1.

Someone email Gabe and find out about this.

According to the dubbing in the latest cs:s movie, CS: Source will be available free, for owners of HL2

Also the Source version will have specific features that the normal CS for HL1 won't have.(Would've been 0wnage if it was possible for compatibility :()

Pobz said:
Was the double-shadowing effect a problem?

Do objects now cast shadows on objects instead of through them?

Not got any recent screenies/footage from Source so I can't tell.

No.. this will most likely be there.

John Carmack fixes this using some sort of workaround. I'm not sure how it works and I'm sure somebody else could explain it better.

Back