Shadow Bug seems to be fixed! hooray :D

entities and other objects do not cast shadows on each other in HL2. All that this fix has done is that it makes the shadows blend with each other, instead of overlapping. (if this fix is real)

therefore, objects on tables will appear to have no shadows, but when moved onto a static object, they will have shadows. (unless the light source is coming at an extreme angle, then you would see the shadow of the table and the visible parts of the object on it)

theotherguy said:
entities and other objects do not cast shadows on each other in HL2. All that this fix has done is that it makes the shadows blend with each other, instead of overlapping. (if this fix is real)

therefore, objects on tables will appear to have no shadows, but when moved onto a static object, they will have shadows. (unless the light source is coming at an extreme angle, then you would see the shadow of the table and the visible parts of the object on it)

There was another bottle like object on the floor with no shadow either.

Anyone know why there's no crosshairs though? :D

theotherguy said:

And you're basing this on the stolen build?
Clearly, not a great idea. Especially seeing as how VALVe has said they're aware of the specific bug and it will be fixed by retail, I see no reason why the shadows from entities won't display properly on other entities.

The quality on the video wasn't good enough to see if the little object on the table was casting a shadow on it, but it looks like there isn't a double shadow :)

And we don't know how old is the build shown in the videos, either. We'll see when the high-res videos are released, I guess.

FISKER_Q said:
Anyone know why there's no crosshairs though? :D

I wondered that. I'm sure they'll still be in the game. The vids just look better with a crosshair.

Shuzer said:
And you're basing this on the stolen build?
Clearly, not a great idea. Especially seeing as how VALVe has said they're aware of the specific bug and it will be fixed by retail, I see no reason why the shadows from entities won't display properly on other entities.
no, Ive never played the stolen build in my life, I have never seen any screens or video from the stolen build either. I am basing this on information from valve, and what we see in the E32k4 vids. I seem to remember gabe saying that shadows of entites will not show on other entities. and I was just clarifying for those who say "the bottle has no shadow" that indeed, the bottle has one, but it does not show through or onto the table.

Entities and other physical stencil shadow objects will cast shadows on each other. They won't however, provide perspective projection depth through objects. This is of course assuming that Valve fixes this, which as of the CS:Source it seems they have. Although, I am willing to bet that the development team behind Source fixed it in the first place, considering that the problem isn't exactly terrible.

Currently, stencil shadows use a CPU/GPU approach using silhouette determination and silhouette extrusion techniques. The shadows blending with each other is an occular effect caused by a depth-pass or depth-fail volume.

I expect it to all be fixed with HL2. I doubt it ever occured in CS:Source, unless the developers just now fixed it after HL2. Doubt it though.

Just to correct some of the people, the E3 2004 videos did showcase some problems with the stencil shadow system. It was stated that they knew about it and it WOULD be fixed. It was never fixed during the videos...and I don't see how anyone thought it could be.

I always assumed it was a demo-playback problem, until someone at Valve commented on it.

It's not a big deal really...

where the shet is this video, will it be coming available to the public?

I would really like to see cs:s in action.

I got the codec and it still didn't work, I am using winamp but I have tried quicktime, media player and the IE one.

They ruined the video with scary german translations :)

Valve said in a mail that they're already informed about it, and get a million mails about that same bug so they are working on it.

Polykarbon said:
Just to correct some of the people, the E3 2004 videos did showcase some problems with the stencil shadow system. It was stated that they knew about it and it WOULD be fixed. It was never fixed during the videos...and I don't see how anyone thought it could be.

I always assumed it was a demo-playback problem, until someone at Valve commented on it.

It's not a big deal really...

Since you seem to know a lot about it, do you believe it can, and will, be fixed? I vaguely remember you commenting about it that fixing it would be hard if not impossible.

I didn't even notice the 'shadow bug' until this topic..

stop looking at the little things please, that's like WANTING to see any bugs.

It's good that they fixed it tough.. ;)

RoguePsi said:
I wondered that. I'm sure they'll still be in the game. The vids just look better with a crosshair.

Come on...it's obviously going to a have crosshair - or you think valve are a stupid bunch who have never made a FPS game in their life and like to make it hard for people to enjoy their game and lose sales?

Lighten up guys, they're just toggled off. :p

I said fixing the crane scene shadow would be hard to do, but only in the instant it was dropped. The crane would need to cast a shadow from the players perspective, and if it hit the crate there might be a problem. As far as I know Valve hasn't implemented occular shadows on physical entities and other action entities yet. Brushes bound to the world will gain the effect of the stencil system...but nobody but Valve knows otherwise. They said it would be fixed, but that could just mean the depth blending, which as of now seems it is.

If it was me I would take the easy way out, and apply the stencil straight to the world brushes, instead of recoding what looks like the depth mask gpu/cpu...so that it would just cast straight down to the floor and blend with whatever other shadows are there. Easiest and fastest way to do it, and not many people would complain.

We'll see...

Xenome said:
I didn't even notice the 'shadow bug' until this topic..

stop looking at the little things please, that's like WANTING to see any bugs.

It's good that they fixed it tough.. ;)

I know what you mean, some people just want to nitpick something about a game.

Jeez people, if you really want to find mistakes in a game look at leisure suit larry, LOTR battle for middle earth, or any less hyped game because you'll find many stupid technical mistakes in those games - and people who think HL2 has bad graphics obviously don't play games at all...

It freezes at the part where he goes under the arc...

9 times out of 10 I'm sure Valve looks at these posts and says, ya, we should and can easily fix that. Let's do it. One of the development members will see it, and if it isn't already noted, he will do so and bring it up at the next meeting. It's not really nitpicking. Nitpicking would be harping on some of the games minor tech issues after release.

Polykarbon said:
9 times out of 10 I'm sure Valve looks at these posts and says, ya, we should and can easily fix that. Let's do it. One of the development members will see it, and if it isn't already noted, he will do so and bring it up at the next meeting. It's not really nitpicking. Nitpicking would be harping on some of the games minor tech issues after release.

I call it nitpicking because

A) neither any of us has the final product so it's not our right to keep reminding them about a bug - THEY know more than us about the game's bug - unless they intentionally want to ignore it.

B) Most (I'm not refering to you) people make such a big deal of HL2's shadow/lighting system being primitive. True it's not the best, but neither is it horrible - they really need to check out some other games who are much worse than this game.

Lol, people are complaining about the shadows there? It's CS, in case you have forgotten: you played the game with blob shadows for 5 years.

ElFuhrer said:
Lol, people are complaining about the shadows there? It's CS, in case you have forgotten: you played the game with blob shadows for 5 years.

Actually, blob shadows were only added recently.. :)
Back in the early beta days, there were actual r_shadows, but those got patched out in an HL update

Funny, when I first started playing it I was like... hmmm this looks even worse than standard CS!

Then it changed to CS source... Doh!

people are vastly misinformed about the capabilities of source. take that as you will. :)

booogerhead said:
people are vastly misinformed about the capabilities of source. take that as you will. :)

I remember when some guy spread a rumour that it was a heavily modified Quake 2 engine. heh.

I dunno what he is even trying to say, so I can't disagree...

It could be that he thinks that nobody knows how good the Source engine is going to be, because it's going to be better than we think, or it could be that everyone thinks the source engine is going to be better than it actually is.

So that makes it difficult for me to respond to ;)

lans said:
I remember when some guy spread a rumour that it was a heavily modified Quake 2 engine. heh.
Obviously, HL2 is based on a heavily modified version of the engine used by old Infocom games like "Zork." Quake 2 is too modern.

Back