Shattered Horizon (PC)

This looks really cool for what it is.

I want to give it a poke of a play, though that would probably cost me $100.

How does this compare to the glory days of properly done Death Matchers? Can any comparisons be drawn whatsoever to low-grav UT99? I'm utterly intrigued by the videos and reviews thus far, and the asking price is more than tolerable. Anyone care to post further impressions?

The FPS junkie in me is tempted to make this an impulse buy, despite having a video card below the "recommended" specs, which scares me a bit.

It is definitely not directly comparable to any previous death match games. This game is *NOT* a twitch fest. I would say it is closer to Tribes than UT99 or Q3.

Also, this game is NOT for everyone. I've got just north of five hours on it so far, and it's priced just right. This is not a full on title. There is no high production single player campaign. Hell, there is only one gun. However, what it is is UNIQUE.

What *I* like about the game is the POTENTIAL for TACTICS. Headshots are essentially an instant kill (if you hit the visor). Hitting the oxygen tank on someone's back will cause a blinding rupture and hurl them into space. It rewards stealth as well as basic combat tactics. The ability to turn off your suit and kill your maneuverability, audio sensory, and digital sensory in turn for only visual detectability is awesome.

Some cool things I have noticed:

If someone is powered down on the side of an asteroid, space debris, structure (what have you) in the shadows, and then hits their rocket pack, the entire area around them light up. Looks very impressive.

Melee kills are extremely rare, but VERY rewarding.

Killing your suits power and having no sound except for the vibration from your gun, breathing, and heartbeat make for some tense moments.

If your video card does not meet the requirements I recommend NOT buying the game. Also, it is more than just a benchmark. It is a game. It has tactics. There are huge differences between good and bad players.

Also, the maps in this game make more of a difference than any other game I've seen. Most games, no matter the map, you're (for the most part) playing on the X-Y axis. This is completely different. Depending on the map, the game play can change quite a bit.

Are there any vehicles? Would be awesome.

Is it moddable?

Bought it. Love it. Don't even think about it if you don't have at least 512 vram, 4gb ddr2 and a quad core intel (or better). It chugs on my Q6600, 4gb, 8800gts(512)... kinda sad. It doesn't seem like it should even warrant that steep of requirements, though the physics calculations required for a zero gravity environment + latching must be straining.

Anyways, it's awesome if you have the rig. I've never played anything like it. You use a multi-directional backpack and hold right click in order to orient yourself (read: rotate). If you latch, you have less recoil. There's only one rifle, but it's badass and doubles as a sniper and nade launcher.

Backpack and visor shots send people hurtling into deep space, it's hilarious. The game is eerie and beautiful at times, hovering over a giant 12v12 space battle I'll sometimes hesitate, only to be capped in the head by a clever enemy latched to a wall (which would actually be a floor to him, hyuck hyuck). EMP nades disable your suit, shutting off sound simulation and all you hear is the eerie deadness of space and your throbbing heartbeat, vulnerable to attack and unable to use thrusters it's quite atmospheric at times.

For $20 this is well worth it for any MP shooter fan, so long as you have the specs. This is what CryTek should be focused on, things like this--kudos to Futuremark for producing a decent benchmark game and mixing up / innovating competitive fps gameplay a bit.

So, yeah, buy it.

BHC, I've got-

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40 GHz
2.00 GB
NVidia Geforce 8800 GT

Do you think I can run it?

I'm really interested in this. Does it have lots of players yet?

BHC, I've got-

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40 GHz
2.00 GB
NVidia Geforce 8800 GT

Do you think I can run it?

It'd be playable but no promises that it would look pretty or perform well, sadly. The system requirements are stupidly high. Also worth noting that it's DX10 / Vista-Win7 only.

My brother is going to buy this next week.

Sounds awesome, might be something cool to play online in lieu of Modern Warfare 2.

Game runs fine on Medium-High Settings for me.

It's really something else I gotta say, very intense, and very atmospheric. It's a nice break away from the average Twitch Game.

I am going to finish up Borderlands first though because the two games are miles apart.

Edit: I haven't really gotten a hold of the gameplay yet, but the visual exploration and ambiance is already enough to please me.
I just love shutting off my HUD and Jetpack, and hearing nothing but my heartbeat and breathing, floating beneath a piece of moon rock, looking at the Blue Earth. Suddenly being hit from an unknown direction, I struggle to take cover as my heart beats faster.

can u guy spost some pics of your MP matches it would feel wrong just to buy because of one pretty trailer.

Running everything on high (well postprocessing is in definition not ultra). Runs pretty decently, slowdowns here and there. Running on some core2 @ 3,xghz, 4gb ram and HD4870. I'd say I'm getting like 30fps. I feel ripped off since the game looked like 10x better on the trailer! :D

When I heard of this game I don't know it was multiplayer only...
Is there a demo out?
Also are there maps taking place somewhere else, besides Earth orbit?

Does anybody think it will be moddable?

Here is some footage of a guy my friends and myself were playing with a few days ago.

I'm sure you'll see us in the video: future man, RAY16, and 6.2 Liter LS3 Engine (myself being the last)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_d24xkVRIk

Please note, this video was made with the graphics on LOW.

So far, I really, really like this game. Even when graphics are not on high the game looks beautiful (though there are some servers where people circlejerk over their graphics cards, myself with a 260m gets laughed at).

For whatever reason, I look up servers that have 30 ping or so, then I join them and my ping is 600. Anyone know why this is?

What the heck is the screenshot key? Print screen doesn't work.

I get Ender's Game vibes when floating around and trying to get potshots on people with entirely different orientations than mine. If you simply abandon the thought there's any sort of up and down you have the upper hand on everyone instantly, it's awesome.

Mhmm, zero G took an hour or two to get used to, but its fine now.

Fixed my ping, and my performance isnt half bad.

To me personally, using the sniper part of the rifle is nigh impossible. Any tips on how to use it?

The sniper implementation is pretty damn stupid, but can be useful if utilized properly. Get latched to a surface before even trying and after you fire your burst, unscope and reorient immediately--as it's recoil is still unreasonable as hell. If your target isn't dead or several enemies loom rely on normal burst fire and detach, they've probably found you. Keep in mind that most of your bullets still land even if you can't see the target due to the shitstorm of recoil.

Yeah, I dont even know if I managed to hit someone with it yet. Using it while in flight is just not an option, and with other players moving around its not much better when on the ground.

This game looks so sweet! I just read Ender's Shadow so I'm in the mood for zero-g space battles. I'll definitely pick this up if there are still people playing by the time I upgrade.

Is there a way to easily rotate? I noticed if you do a certain wiggle with your mouse you slowly move into the position you want.

Also, this game is much more fun with 4-6 players, rather than 16, IMO.

Is there a way to easily rotate? I noticed if you do a certain wiggle with your mouse you slowly move into the position you want.

Also, this game is much more fun with 4-6 players, rather than 16, IMO.

Pfft. Isn't it 32 players capable? 16 on each team? That's what I want... the more the better for me, always.

Yeah, it is up to 32 players, but the ideal number for me is about 10 aside. You wont have problems finding a good 32 player server though (or at least I didnt).

Yea with with 32 players the game is gayer than cs by thousand. It's like 16 people, glued to ground with awps for 25min. Still it's really fun, once you get used to moving around. Took me like three matches to finally accept that yes, I'm in space, theres no gravity, so pressing forward all the time is useless.

Pfft. Isn't it 32 players capable? 16 on each team? That's what I want... the more the better for me, always.

It defeats the purpose of sneaking and stealth though when there are 16 players flying around on each team. Forget even bothering to turn off your suit :p

Except when you see someone firing an emp. I just noticed that if you keep the nade lauch button hold for a long time the nades will travel further.

Minimum:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 / AMD Athlon64 X2 5600+
Memory: 2GB
Graphics: 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT / ATI Radeon HD 3870
DirectX®: 10 (Does not support DirectX 9)
Hard Drive: 1.5 GB
Sound: Windows Vista compatible sound card

Recommended:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 / AMD Phenom II X4 940
Memory: 2GB
Graphics: 512MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 / ATI Radeon HD 4870
DirectX®: 10 (Does not support DirectX 9)
Hard Drive: 1.5GB
Sound: Windows Vista compatible sound card
Probably mentioned but god damn.

Yeah, this game is INCREDIBLY reasource intensive, though it doesn look like it should be...

Oh well, even at medium or low it still looks pretty nice.

That too. The learning curve is steep, but once you get a streak going, or when you out manuver someone after a long battle its incredibly satisfying.

HEAR ME HEAR ME. If you bought the game check steam. I got three guest invites for the game. One left, first person to reply gets it on steam (pm me your steam id).

Edit: gone

Not even sure whether that's an insult or a compliment. You're balls!

Back