Your thoughts on a DOD:S Machinima?

• Don't care to help, but I'd watch it.

Votes: 42 34.4%
  • I like the idea.

Votes: 42 34.4%
  • I'd help (please specify):

Votes: 38 31.1%

• Total voters
I think the idea for episodes is great...

How about a Band of Brothers type thing?

We've just talked in Ventrilo and IRC for a while (we'll have idlers in #dodmach) and come up with a few basic things all subject to change.

We'd like to do an episodic series, perhaps around seven or eight episodes. They follow two Allied squads in Normandy, fighting back and forth over Avalanche, Flash, and Donner. We don't intend for it to just be a flashy action machinima, we'd like to have drama and plot play a major part.

As i've already mentioned, i won't be getting DoD:S for about two weeks when i next get paid. So if you start before then i'm afraid i won't be able to play a key role. However, if there is to be a good plot, it may take a while till filming or machina'ing gets started ( <--- the way i see it)

Will we post here about possible plot lines, a seperate thread or via IRC?

IRC.
But we need to get a decent passworded server

post it in here, discuss in irc. so people who aren't in the chats can keep up.

Well we are currently discussing soundtrack options. ;)

I'd be happy to act, and I have an (english) friend who's german accent can fool most german people.

Any idea of plot yet?

We've got a rough rough story, Sulkdodds'll write about it at some point and you guys can tell us what you think

Wait, so we talk in IRC? How do you use that thing!?

How about a CoDlike thing, but instead of different countries... it'll be like episodes viewing from the German side and the American side.

Put emphasis on one problem and make it huge. Like one episode... you can have emphasis on snipers in like Avalanche or something. Wait, is Avalanch the map with all those buildings you can hide in?

i will help with anything that doesnt involve having DOD:S :D

every dod map has tons of buildings you can hide in

ailevation said:
Wait, so we talk in IRC? How do you use that thing!?

download Mirc. Set you username. Find the quakenet US server and channel #dodmach

The story begins on Flash, with a motley group of allied soldiers under the ad-hoc control of Major C. West, picking through the aftermath of the brutal battle to control the village. A German soldier is being interrogated. The main characters are introduced; bbasically an introductory episode, towards the end contact is made with two German scouts. The Axis begin to shell the village, and we end on a cliffhanger with the first wave crashing against the defending Allies.

10 days earlier. Episodes 2-4 or 2-5 will detail the convergence of multiple storyline strands. Different characters and different squads fighting in the battles of Avalanche and Donner will slowly band together, joining up under West. Each episode will have a different 'angle'. One episode would focus almost entirely on snipers, scouts, and small scale skirmishes while another would be the mass allied assault on Avalanche.

Major West is almost fanatical in his devotion; so much so that certain people begin to question his command. His character is at best iconoclastic and and at worst criminally insane – this becomes more and more apparent as time goes on.

Throughout the series he takes more and more extreme actions. He draws in soldiers like a magnet and spends their lives like copper coins. He justifies his actions claiming he's a patriot; that the enemy are scum. Major West, it could be argued, is War: he believes so passionately...but in what?

WEST: (patriotic) Because I believe that the world...
WEST: (hesitant) Because I believe that the world...
WEST: (desperate) Because I believe that the world...

After these two battles, and once the multiple threads have converged into one single narrative thrust, West at the head, the unit assaults Flash. Heavy casualties. This penultimate episode ends with the capture of the German soldier at the beginning; we have now come full circle.

The final episode is the last in chronological order, and follows the efforts of West and his motley crew to hold Flash against all odds. Seeing as West cracks and orders a suicide charge, they fail quite miserably.

The ones who survive are the characters that see a reason to fight, and a good reason at that – the ones who know why it's necessary (against the nazis, it certainly was). The series would show the ascent of the crusading West, the path he blazes through Normandy, and his eventual bloody downfall.

That is the story Sulk's come up with - comments?

I like it. :rolling:

edit: That West quote may be recognisable to As Level English Lit students. :rolling:

Really, really good stuff there guys :thumbs: well done

When do you expect to start recording/filming?

hmm, that depends. not too long probably, depends on if we want to storyboard and script the whole series before we do the first episode or if we want to script/storyboard episode by episode

I like it. but I'm kinda not understanding what the

WEST: (patriotic) Because I believe that the world...
WEST: (hesitant) Because I believe that the world...
WEST: (desperate) Because I believe that the world...

means

his progression as he realizes he's believing in the wrong thing but refuses to accept it and fights for nothing but empty passion itself

Quiet you.
ssh.gif

sorry for having to ask, but i volunteered the first page and the thread has grown incredibly fast since that point. i just wanted to know how we will be contacted with shoot times, duties, etc... I realize it is still quite early and these things will need to be ironed out beforte actual dates are given. I see people discussing an IRC channel but will you make an announcement using another official dod machinima thread when we will all meet?

I myself am part of a machinima(for Operation Flashpoint) and I understand how hard it is to create just one video and organize a team dedicated to making one.
Best of luck to you guys. :cheers:

If you want to help with this, join the #dodmach channel on QuakeNet through IRC

Story seems pretty good so far Sulk.

Are there any specific times you guys are working on this in the IRC channel?

Sounds good... glad that Sulk decided to add little bit of emphasis on some things. Brings more depth to things.
I really dig the internal conflict there too.

French Ninja said:
I myself am part of a machinima(for Operation Flashpoint) and I understand how hard it is to create just one video and organize a team dedicated to making one.
Best of luck to you guys. :cheers:
Not East vs. West by any chance, right ?

Damm, time difference...
I'll pop onto the Chan when i can, but noone seems to be on.

I can edit and film, need some specifics , i can easily be an actor as well, keep me posted ([email protected]) ill keep checking in as well basically it will come down to what times you will need help. im very interested though (tried to do this with DOD 3.1 with friends, but called it off due to lack of people)

not that I have much of a say in this or even any sort of influence ...but ..I think you guys should do something maybe less serious (dont get me wrong the story ideas you have are great it's just that unless really well written there wont be all that much interest to people out side of DoD:S fans?ww2 buffs) ...sort of a red vs blue meets the members of HL2.net ...just think of the possiblities ..you could have different people contributing for different episodes and we could draw a lot of material from the forums ...I could make an appearence as an older semi-crazy character who rambles on and on about the moral implications of flag capturing. Another character could be "in the shadows rambo type who takes on the germans singlehanded ...modeled after short recoil of course

again I'm just shooting the idea out there, doesnt mean your idea isnt much better ...I just thought it'd give everybody at HL2.net an opportunity to participate ...I'll watch your movie nevertheless as I'm a ww2 buff

I'm on IRC whenever I can be. I'm at school right now and the IRC ports are blocked so I can't get in there, but I'm on usually 3-5 EST if not more later.

not that I have much of a say in this or even any sort of influence ...but ..I think you guys should do something maybe less serious (dont get me wrong the story ideas you have are great it's just that unless really well written there wont be all that much interest to people out side of DoD:S fans?ww2 buffs) ...sort of a red vs blue meets the members of HL2.net ...just think of the possiblities ..you could have different people contributing for different episodes and we could draw a lot of material from the forums ...I could make an appearence as an older semi-crazy character who rambles on and on about the moral implications of flag capturing. Another character could be "in the shadows rambo type who takes on the germans singlehanded ...modeled after short recoil of course

That could be the sequel! :E

I really want to see a serious WWII machinima made, but a comic one at a later date would be quite nice also.

Back