Source SDK help thread

how do I edit the hammer config so I can make dod:s maps?

I am new here. I need help really bad! I am just starting making maps, and I tryed taking a tutorial and the tutorial told me to draw a box and press enter. when i make my box and let go of the mouse the lines turn blue and then when I hit enter the box disappears, and evrytime i try it keeps happening and i have checked many help sites and forums. I need help!!! Thx

you have the arrow tool selected whilst drawing the box don't you.

You need to select the brush tool. This looks like a white cube. Onec you have drawn the box with the cube tool, just hit enter, or right click and select "create object"

does anybody know how to import their own sounds (WAV) into hammer to be used in a HL2 map???

just put your sounds in the hl2\sound folder. In Source they have to be in 44mhz, 16bit, stereo format: PCM, or lower...

thanks, I couldn't remember if I made that folder up myself as it has pretty much nothing in it.

Thanks, I try that out!!!

*Marcus*

May I ask one question?

Can you make other characters (or models) that are not related to Half-life 2 in Source SDK?

Serious answers please.

ok heres an odd one, where do u get the map editor for half-life 2?

Start Steam, go to Tools, download the SDK, open the SDK, open Hammer, enjoy.

Serves 5.

how can I view Ep. 1 models in the model viewer? They don't seem to be in any of the folders I've looked in.

WillY said:
just put your sounds in the hl2\sound folder. In Source they have to be in 44mhz, 16bit, stereo format: PCM, or lower...

ok I had the same problem, then I put my wav in the folder now it shows in the sound browser as the next wav filename appended onto the end of my wav. like this:

"/MYWAVFILE.wavambient/_period.wav"
Do I need to edit a script file or something?

ok, i have tried to get hammer to work but it wont, one after another sais files like Steam.dll and other are missing or cant access them. Is there anywhere that i can download everything i need for hammer?

Hi! Im making a Ak-colt like map, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to do something like, ammo_#mm_max 90 thing in the SDK editor?

Thanks
Sub

how can i run hammer without selecting sdk...

Sdk Help!

Hey, i just started using Source SDK and when i am in the program working on a map, all i see in the 3d view is a black screen, what should i do?

hehe thats what happening to me too, cant see any of the objs in hammer at all, and it feels like a stiff dead box, its nothing simple like 3dsmax, hammer is extremly complicated for me for now, so stiff feels wierld, and the model vievew has bad controlling, you cant move the model away from the center so you can fully view the model, valves got some realy wierld tools =(

anyways im still stuck at compiling under vs express 2005, seems the Valve Developer Community docs are out of date, very old place, i need some recent docs on compiling under VS express 2005

thanks

Select a block and under view choose center 3d view on selection or something along those lines.

how can i run hammer without selecting sdk...

Simple answer: you can't

Long answer: Not unless you're a well adept programmer with skills far exceeding mine. You have to open it through the SDK so the hammer.exe file in ...\sourcesdk\bin can properly initialise through Steam.dll for reasons that escape my intellect.

How would i go about making the soldiers in Half-Life: Source work as barneys and the other way? Would i have to make completely new NPC types?

I every time I try to run game "F9" I get this

** Executing...
** Command: "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\mickeyd202\sourcesdk\bin\vbsp.exe"
** Parameters: -game "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\SourceMods\TEST" "C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\hl2 maps\test"

Valve Software - vbsp.exe (Aug 4 2006)
1 threads
materialPath: c:\program files\steam\steamapps\SourceMods\TEST\materials
Loading C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\hl2 maps\test.vmf
material "" not found
Material not found!:
fixing up env_cubemap materials on brush sides...
ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (0)
**** leaked ****
Entity light_environment (0.00 -448.00 512.00) leaked!
Processing areas...done (0)
Building Faces...
** Executing...
** Command: "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\mickeyd202\sourcesdk\bin\vvis.exe"
** Parameters: -game "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\SourceMods\TEST" "C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\hl2 maps\test"

Valve Software - vvis.exe (May 22 2006)
1 threads
reading c:\documents and settings\owner\my documents\hl2 maps\test.bsp
reading c:\documents and settings\owner\my documents\hl2 maps\test.prt
LoadPortals: couldn't read c:\documents and settings\owner\my documents\hl2 maps\test.prt

** Executing...
** Command: "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\mickeyd202\sourcesdk\bin\vrad.exe"

Valve Software - vrad.exe SSE (May 22 2006)
----- Radiosity Simulator ----
1 threads
[Reading texlights from 'lights.rad']
[45 texlights parsed from 'lights.rad']

Loading c:\documents and settings\owner\my documents\hl2 maps\test.bsp
No vis information, direct lighting only.
56 faces
37717 square feet [5431296.00 square inches]
0 displacements
0 square feet [0.00 square inches]
7 direct lights
BuildFacelights: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (10)
Build Patch/Sample Hash Table(s).....Done<0.0064 sec>
FinalLightFace: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (0)
FinalLightFace Done
0 of 0 (0% of) surface lights went in leaf ambient cubes.
ComputePerLeafAmbientLighting: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10
Ready to Finish

Object names Objects/Maxobjs Memory / Maxmem Fullness
------------ --------------- --------------- --------
models 1/1024 48/49152 ( 0.1%)
brushes 6/8192 72/98304 ( 0.1%)
brushsides 36/65536 288/524288 ( 0.1%)
planes 40/65536 800/1310720 ( 0.1%)
vertexes 77/65536 924/786432 ( 0.1%)
nodes 55/65536 1760/2097152 ( 0.1%)
texinfos 3/12288 216/884736 ( 0.0%)
texdata 1/2048 32/65536 ( 0.0%)
dispinfos 0/0 0/0 ( 0.0%)
disp_verts 0/0 0/0 ( 0.0%)
disp_tris 0/0 0/0 ( 0.0%)
disp_lmsamples 0/0 0/0 ( 0.0%)
faces 56/65536 3136/3670016 ( 0.1%)
hdr faces 0/65536 0/3670016 ( 0.0%)
origfaces 18/65536 1008/3670016 ( 0.0%)
leaves 57/65536 1824/2097152 ( 0.1%)
leaffaces 56/65536 112/131072 ( 0.1%)
leafbrushes 16/65536 32/131072 ( 0.0%)
areas 3/256 24/2048 ( 1.2%)
surfedges 312/512000 1248/2048000 ( 0.1%)
edges 181/256000 724/1024000 ( 0.1%)
LDR worldlights 6/8192 528/720896 ( 0.1%)
HDR worldlights 0/8192 0/720896 ( 0.0%)
waterstrips 0/32768 0/327680 ( 0.0%)
waterverts 0/65536 0/786432 ( 0.0%)
waterindices 0/65536 0/131072 ( 0.0%)
cubemapsamples 0/1024 0/16384 ( 0.0%)
overlays 0/512 0/180224 ( 0.0%)
LDR lightdata [variable] 95488/0 ( 0.0%)
HDR lightdata [variable] 0/0 ( 0.0%)
visdata [variable] 0/16777216 ( 0.0%)
entdata [variable] 1045/393216 ( 0.3%)
LDR leaf ambient 57/65536 1368/1572864 ( 0.1%)
HDR leaf ambient 0/65536 0/1572864 ( 0.0%)
occluders 0/0 0/0 ( 0.0%)
occluder polygons 0/0 0/0 ( 0.0%)
occluder vert ind 0/0 0/0 ( 0.0%)
detail props [variable] 1/12 ( 8.3%)
static props [variable] 1/12 ( 8.3%)
pakfile [variable] 10002/0 ( 0.0%)

Level flags = 0

Win32 Specific Data:
physics [variable] 2279/4194304 ( 0.1%)
==== Total Win32 BSP file data space used: 122960 bytes ====

Total triangle count: 128
Writing c:\documents and settings\owner\my documents\hl2 maps\test.bsp
10 seconds elapsed

** Executing...
** Command: Copy File
** Parameters: "C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\hl2 maps\test.bsp" "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\SourceMods\TEST\maps\test.bsp"

** Executing...
** Command: "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\mickeyd202\half-life 2\hl2.exe"
** Parameters: -game "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\SourceMods\TEST" +map "test"

and then nothing happens

**** leaked ****
Entity light_environment (0.00 -448.00 512.00) leaked!

You have a leak. Hammer can't determine which part of your map is the inside and which is the outside. After compiling go back to Hammer and select Map > Load Pointfile. It will draw a red line on your map showing you where the leak is. Make sure you unload the pointfile before compiling again.

Here is more information if you are still stuck:
http://forum.interlopers.net/viewtopic.php?t=2248

i have a problem with opening the sdk everytrime i start it up i get this message:
"MountFilesystem(221) falied:steam mountfile system (2364,221,0x1957fc74=,0x1957fd74) failed with error 106: failed to resize cache file"
any help please?

Ok, so I try and add water to my map and it all looks good in hammer but when I test the map the water is invisible, it is there though. I can hear the splashing and when under the waters surface it looks fine, you just cant see it above the surface. I used a nodraw texture, topped it with a water texture, add a cube map and water_lod_contorl.

Hey, i just started using Source SDK and when i am in the program working on a map, all i see in the 3d view is a black screen, what should i do?
click the camera button on the left and then click on one of the 2d views to 'create' the cam.

Ok, so I try and add water to my map and it all looks good in hammer but when I test the map the water is invisible, it is there though. I can hear the splashing and when under the waters surface it looks fine, you just cant see it above the surface. I used a nodraw texture, topped it with a water texture, add a cube map and water_lod_contorl.
Make sure there are no leaks and check your lighting.

Now, I have a question... Every time I enter Source SDK, my settings for my mod dissapear. Also in hammer. I have tried reseting them manually but they only work once then disappear again...?

whenever i go to open the tools "no game configurations to run with" pops up. i apparently have to manually configure something but dont know where to go to do this. any help would be appreciated

i do not exactly know what the problem is

When I compile & run my hl2 DM map, I get an error like this

Failed to load launcher.dll

Hammer has new configurations since the previous patch. It doesn't include a hl 2 dm configuration. Compile tools are orange box versions or something like that.

Yes, I have orange box but Hammer worked before the previous patch. Must I get get the configurations manually or is the problem elsewhere?

i had the same problems it wouldnt run my maps then eventualy would not loads anything, i was told to put "-engine ep1" in the sdk launch options and now it works fine except a few things like my props wont work i try to select world model and it crashes :/ anyhelp?

Please excuse my retarded question, but I fail at finding the answer :stare:

So, in Hammer, how do you pick a color to paint your walls with?
In my case, I need to paint the whole map in green, and I can't find the color green in textures.

Some help would be appreciated.

I have a problem. I reinstalled all my Half-Life 2 games on a new computer and wanted to make some new maps and... SourceSDK fails to start! I double click it in Tools, a windows pops up saying "Preparing to launch SourceSDK..." and... it dissapears. I've tried redownloading the whole thing, including removing ClientRegistry.blob and it's still the same :(
Please help.

have you tried setting Launch Options for SDK to:

-engine ep1

This worked for me

in hammer Every time i choose any prop and when i go to the world model and hit browse an error comes up that says:The instruction at "0x0e72915b" referenced memory at "0x0e72915b" The memory could not be "read", HALP!!!!

Just joined the boards and I have a question, all. I am trying to make a HL2 map and I want the player to be able to use more melee weapons than the crowbar, like the stunstick. Is there a way to do this? Also: I got it so that I can apparently have CS weapons in the game, but they won't actually place and seem to be unusable. Can anyone help me?

if you want to add weapons in you need to program them. the stunstick source is already in the SourceSDK.
if you want CS weapons in Half-Life 2 you'll need to program them as well because their source is not public. they aren't usable in-game because they aren't in the Half-Life 2 .dll files.

if you want to add weapons in you need to program them. the stunstick source is already in the SourceSDK.
if you want CS weapons in Half-Life 2 you'll need to program them as well because their source is not public. they aren't usable in-game because they aren't in the Half-Life 2 .dll files.

How does one go about programming in weapons? I saw a tut on it but it did not actually tell me how to do it. That or it failed miserably.

Another thing I am hoping to get working and have not attempted yet. I want to make an area that will create fire or an explosion every so many seconds. So it will happen, go away, then happen again. It is the repetition of the event that I think I will have trouble with. That or killing the fire. Any suggestions?

I remember some of the basics of C++ and could brush up on it pretty easy I think.

well, look at the source code provided in the SourceSDK then make your own weapons by doing something similar to what's there.
also, this site has a bit more info on how get it working completely.

Back