Sourced: Community high-res texture set for HL: Source

Uh?!? What happend to your site? Seems to be down...

Hope the project is still alive! :(

It has been hosted on Leakfree.org, which is changing hands right now. I haven't recieved any submissions since January. If there are no more for a couple more weeks, I might just try to pretty up what we have already and release it as a facelift for the game to tie people over til Black Mesa Source is done.

I'd do another set, but I suck at texturing anything that has to look realistic and complex.

The only change from the last release is the addition of one texture.

Anyway, where should it be released?

Is the "Sourced" project dead?
Hmm... we'll have to wait for BM:S then.

Hay, Do you guys mind if i use some of these textures for some of my own css mapping as i allways wanting more to play with :E

Just thourght i would ask you first than nick them and go away using your work without asking

evan thou i might not use them at all :rolling:

Besli said:
No, it can't be dead!! ;(
Let's move to the H.I.T Forum. They have a Source area now!
And the project of the SD Model Pack For Half-Life: Source precedes very well!! (First version is allready out.)
So please don't let this Project die!!

Screenshots:
http://img180.exs.cx/img180/4830/collage1qh.jpg
http://img239.exs.cx/img239/1249/collage20mg.jpg

Gee, those screen shots look familiar. LOL!

BTW, most the bugs from the first release are almost completely worked out. Also the models not present in the first release are being added with full ragdoll. So, things are looking up! It'd be awesome if we could add more hi-res textures to the game as well.

Note to Besli: Thanks for clearing up the loose ends I created in the thread linked above. You da man!

Rhino said:
Hay, Do you guys mind if i use some of these textures for some of my own css mapping as i allways wanting more to play with :E

Just thourght i would ask you first than nick them and go away using your work without asking

evan thou i might not use them at all :rolling:

The authors of the different models are credited in the readme file. Most have their own websites (such as Ambient.Impact and Romka), I would suggest finding out who the authors are to the model(s) you are wanting to use and contacting them.

He's talking about the textures.

I don't know if any of mine made it into the release. If they did, feel free to use them.

Oops! D'uh! My ADD is showing. I forgot what he said seconds ofter reading it. Good catch.

In any event, the same principal applies (just different authors).

Frraksurred said:
Note to Besli: Thanks for clearing up the loose ends I created in the thread linked above. You da man!
No problem!! :afro:

isnt this mod, the textures for Black Mesa Source *panics ;(

I won't let this mod die!!
If you made some textures send them to [email protected]
And come join the H.I.T-Forum, or should we stay at this Forum?

Posted by Kalashnikov, at 10-04-2005, on the MapCore Forum:

Hello everyone,

I'm Kalashnikov from the Black Mesa: Source modification and as we are presently seeking texture artists to fill positions on-board the development team, we were wondering if any of you are interested in working on such a project. If this is not possible for whatever reason, would you be interested in seeing your work in the modification? There are many very good quality pieces of work here and we would be honoured to be able to use them in BMS. If interested, please contact myself via: [email protected]

Either way, keep up the excellant work.

Besli, do you already have all the textures from before--the one I released when we were at 10 percent?

Don't worry about Black Mesa Source. The team isn't relying on this texture pack.

d'keesto said:
Besli, do you already have all the textures from before--the one I released when we were at 10 percent?
Yes, I do.
Hey d'keesto, did you asked leak-free.org for hosting the site again?
If you want I can upload it somewhere else.

I haven't, I think they're more strapped for funds than before. Are you interested in taking over the project? I don't have time to devote to it anymore with grad school. I can tell you what you need to do to the vmt files to get textures working.

d'keesto said:
I haven't, I think they're more strapped for funds than before. Are you interested in taking over the project? I don't have time to devote to it anymore with grad school. I can tell you what you need to do to the vmt files to get textures working.
Yes, I'm very interested!!
Would be glad if you can teach me what to do with the vmt files!! ;)
And could you send me the HP in a compressed file (zip/rar)?

Besli, you're becoming one of my favorite individuals! Keep up the great work!!!

Frraksurred said:
Besli, you're becoming one of my favorite individuals! Keep up the great work!!!
Yes I will!
baracuda (leader of the: SD Model Pack for Half-Life: Source) asked me to combine both packs. But first we need more work done...
Hey d'keesto, I made this (attachment) with VTFTool, but it didn't works ingame!

Attachments

• trrm_sign5.zip
    73 KB · Views: 142
So what's going on with this? I was looking forward to it quite a bit.

JWFokker said:
So what's going on with this? I was looking forward to it quite a bit.
Not much yet! I tried to contact the great texture artists here on the Forum, but I got no answer yet.

Besli said:
Yes I will!
baracuda (leader of the: SD Model Pack for Half-Life: Source) asked me to combine both packs. But first we need more work done...
Hey d'keesto, I made this (attachment) with VTFTool, but it didn't works ingame!

It doesn't work because the original texture was a decal, but you didn't specify that in your new VMF. You'll need to edit original VMFs with Notepad. I just sent you a PM with instructions. It's just some stuff to paste into the original VMFs so that the big new quadruple sized ones get scaled down by four to fit in the same space as the originals.

d'keesto said:
It doesn't work because the original texture was a decal, but you didn't specify that in your new VMF. You'll need to edit original VMFs with Notepad. I just sent you a PM with instructions. It's just some stuff to paste into the original VMFs so that the big new quadruple sized ones get scaled down by four to fit in the same space as the originals.
Ah okay, thank you!
I will take a look! :thumbs:

I got the first texture to work!! So all I need are textures now!!

Attachments

• first_try.png
    first_try.png
    99.3 KB · Views: 353
hey remnetworks.com will host your site for $3 a month, 200 mb space, 4gb transfer, unlimited ftp/sub-domains/mysql dbs/emails, and it comes with built in scripts.

mikeandike22 said:
hey remnetworks.com will host your site for $3 a month, 200 mb space, 4gb transfer, unlimited ftp/sub-domains/mysql dbs/emails, and it comes with built in scripts.
Wow, sounds great!!
But first I need a answer from the Team to get back to work, or I have to find a new one! :(

I haven't checked this thread in awhile. I can't believe it's still going :)

Considering the persistence of this thread you'd think there'd be more people participating. I'm still hosting the 'beta' version of the texture pack on my site if anyone wants it. (Limited bandwidth, please don't post the link elsewhere.)

www.lousybeatnik.com/sourced_version0.10.zip (unzip to hl:s materials folder)

warning: while 10% of the textures are done, it definitely will not seem like that while playing. A lot of that 10% isn't used at all in game, or is used very infrequently. There are also a few textures that look strange and need to be fixed.

If we're going to start working on stuff again I think there needs to be a better approach. Attack textures one level at a time, avoid textures that never end up getting used etc.

rahba said:
I haven't checked this thread in awhile. I can't believe it's still going :)

Considering the persistence of this thread you'd think there'd be more people participating. I'm still hosting the 'beta' version of the texture pack on my site if anyone wants it. (Limited bandwidth, please don't post the link elsewhere.)

www.lousybeatnik.com/sourced_version0.10.zip (unzip to hl:s materials folder)

warning: while 10% of the textures are done, it definitely will not seem like that while playing. A lot of that 10% isn't used at all in game, or is used very infrequently. There are also a few textures that look strange and need to be fixed.

If we're going to start working on stuff again I think there needs to be a better approach. Attack textures one level at a time, avoid textures that never end up getting used etc.
Ups! :rolling:
I posted the link on the H.I.T Forum.
Should I remove it rahba?
What's wrong with the approach? The vending machine texture is looking very good, but it needs a little rework to fix the buttons.

I suppose it's fine if it's just the one other site.

The problem with the approach is that theres a lot of time being wasted on textures that don't get used. I must've created 40 or so textures that you'll never see in game. Sometimes there'll be a set of eight or so textures, and only two will be used in game. The other six aren't usually hard to create because they're similar in style but it's the monotony that really burns me out.

I wonder if there's a way to print out a list of maps and their texture dependencies.

Wow, yeah, I just checked this forum after months of inactivity - school sort of took over my life with my final semester of college. Now I'm in this sort of limbo state between college and work, although that state will only last for 5 more days. I was working on the coffee machine most recently, and it's almost done. Besli, I'll send it to you when it gets finished.

Also, Besli, regarding the vending machines - what kind of a rework needs to be done? I've still got the PSD files for those, and can help out with that.

I agree with rahba on all accounts - it was getting pretty monotonous, and that was a contributing factor to me sort of stopping for a while. I just got myself a higher-resolution digital camera (compared to my 640x480 webcam before), though, so I think I might be able to find some more creative inspiration. :)

If we want to see this project come to fruition, I think it definitely does need some sort of better organization and work distribution. I think the website that d'keesto had (hosted at leakfree) was a valuable tool, in that it gave us would-be artists an overview of the textures that needed to be completed and showed us the works of others, which was somewhat inspiring. Unfortunately, I can't think of any better ways of doing things.

Hello slthytove!! You're very welcome!! :thumbs:
Today is my Birthday, and it's nice to see another artist is coming back to this Topic! :bounce:
I won't tell you what you have to (re)make, you can choose this by yourself. And if you want to do a set, someone else is working on, why not. I will put the one into the pack that looks better and that fits better ingame.
About the vending machines: I think the buttons should be moved a bit to left and a bit down. (look at the pic)
It's not a big problem (bug) but it would look better! Remaking the tram textures was very much work, but it looks really nice now. (can you see what I mean?)
About the HP, d'keesto didn't sent me the HP yet. (so I think I have to make one myself.)
You can send me the *.tga and/or *.psd files, and I will convert them to work in HL:S. (you can also do it yourself if you want! ;) )

Attachments

• vending_machine.jpg
    vending_machine.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 324
Well, happy birthday!

I see exactly what you mean re: the vending machine. I didn't realize that the buttons got pushed in. :) I'll move them to line up with the original texture better.

What does "HP" stand for?

Back