Steam can't connect ?

Har har!

Well im not the 1 who can't connect to steam :p

P.S. I don't use any of AOL's shitty software and get great speeds.

For the people who can't connect.

Do you have steam set to auto login?

it is steam account problems, people had 2 accounts, one work, other not on same ISP.

btw
Note to valve.. get someone to "ok" the fix for the play offline when Steam.exe screws up and wants to remove your saved & pre-validated info, huh?

I dont have a public computer for my privately owned game, and it would be software piracy to install this on public computers... so once you buy & steam-validate the game. the game's offline mode should NEVER EVER be disabled.

So get rid of the "save my info" checkbox on the login screen...

If it's steam account problems why are there currently 100k people playing and i've logged out and in about 3 times now.

^Ben said:
If it's steam account problems why are there currently 100k people playing and i've logged out and in about 3 times now.

well your account works , dont ask me whay, be happy :)

Just to keep you all occupied while I go play counter strike.

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1261997.html?menu

Man peed way out of avalanche

A Slovak man trapped in his car under an avalanche freed himself by drinking 60 bottles of beer and urinating on the snow to melt it.

Rescue teams found Richard Kral drunk and staggering along a mountain path four days after his Audi car was buried in the Slovak Tatra mountains.

He told them that after the avalanche, he had opened his car window and tried to dig his way out.

But as he dug with his hands, he realised the snow would fill his car before he managed to break through.

He had 60 half-litre bottles of beer in his car as he was going on holiday, and after cracking one open to think about the problem he realised he could urinate on the snow to melt it, local media reported.

He said: "I was scooping the snow from above me and packing it down below the window, and then I peed on it to melt it. It was hard and now my kidneys and liver hurt. But I'm glad the beer I took on holiday turned out to be useful and I managed to get out of there."

Yea I read that too. Good old beer. :LOL:

EDIT: Can anyone get on the Steam forum? I cant seem to myself.

This is really pissing me off, I just got my comp back from the shop after no comp for almost a week to have it upgraded and POS steam isn't working.

Ok heres what I can piece together.

There was a major power outage in seattle which must of knocked the login servers for the US out.

There was apparently some trouble in the UK but the servers are starting to come back online

please oh please DOD source, please oh please DOD source, please oh please DOD source...

9:07 PM Eastern Time and I can connect just fine. Hope all is well for the rest of you :thumbs: (though no dod source that i can see >.< )

I still can't connect. Haven't been able to since I first tried today at about 5:30 PM EST. My theory is that one of the servers that hold the login info went down and that's why some people can get on and some can't. What's weird is I tried a friend's login and it gave me a different message saying the pass was wrong or the account was invalid. I dunno, it's frustrating and it would be nice to be reassured that our accounts haven't dissapeared. Some of us have clan matches.

Also, the steampowered forums haven't been working for me for the past couple of hours.

The forums are getting raped they are on a seperate servers to the rest of them.

Well thats pretty much the whole steam network shut down - :) My guess is VAC2

kmack said:
please oh please DOD source, please oh please DOD source, please oh please DOD source...
I know your dying for it but trust me - they're going to do the typical hype bells and whistles for this one :)

^Ben said:
OMG 5 HOURS OF DOWNTIME OO-EM-GE!!! Well I just tried logging in again and it logs in as fast as it always has.

Probably something has ****ed up on the way from your PC to steam or something.

What ISP does every1 have?

I don't have the problem and im with AOL UK.

It has nothing to do with that. I read somewhere in the steampowered forums that if ur steam id starts with 0.0 (really old accounts) it will work but if your account id starts with 0.1 it won't. I think this is correct because one of my id's works and its old but I can't get on my damn hl2 one!

ferment said:
I still can't connect. Haven't been able to since I first tried today at about 5:30 PM EST. My theory is that one of the servers that hold the login info went down and that's why some people can get on and some can't. What's weird is I tried a friend's login and it gave me a different message saying the pass was wrong or the account was invalid. I dunno, it's frustrating and it would be nice to be reassured that our accounts haven't dissapeared. Some of us have clan matches.

Also, the steampowered forums haven't been working for me for the past couple of hours.

How can you get friends option to connect ?
i just get the same error (trouble to connecting to steam servers)when trying to open steam...

colson said:
It has nothing to do with that. I read somewhere in the steampowered forums that if ur steam id starts with 0.0 (really old accounts) it will work but if your account id starts with 0.1 it won't. I think this is correct because one of my id's works and its old but I can't get on my damn hl2 one!
lol exactly the same as me , was gonna be playing GarrysMod with a mate too GRRRRR.

NikolaX said:
How can you get friends option to connect ?
i just get the same error (trouble to connecting to steam servers)when trying to open steam...

No, you misunderstood me, I'm talking about another Steam account that belongs to a friend, not the Steam network. His username says that the account is not valid or the password is wrong, instead of giving me the error that steam can't connect to the steam servers.

As for the 0:0 0:1 thing I don't think that is it because I have a couple of clanmates who are playing Half-Life right now and one of them has a 0:1 account.

What probably happened is that they have multiple computers to store account information, and one of them went down. If you have 4 accounts and 2 work, maybe the two that don't work are stored on a Valve/Steam computer that went down.

ferment said:
No, you misunderstood me, I'm talking about another Steam account that belongs to a friend, not the Steam network. His username says that the account is not valid or the password is wrong, instead of giving me the error that steam can't connect to the steam servers.

As for the 0:0 0:1 thing I don't think that is it because I have a couple of clanmates who are playing Half-Life right now and one of them has a 0:1 account.

LOL sorry :cheese:

No, you looks at yesterdays graph and you will see it was about 125k so it's a pretty normal number for this time of day.

Man I can't believe it's still down, well if it is a server with login info on it thats gone kaput, then I damn well hope they got our info backed up, cos this sucks monkey balls

Nah starteed playing some hostile intent, windowed mode obviously and when I die I come browse here :p

And by my amount of posts in a short while you can tell i've died a lot :p

I'm sure it's already been said, but...for those who want to/are currently playing the singleplayer Half-Life 2, this is really an inconvenience. Not that Steam's a terrible idea, just that running singleplayer, offline games through it is. What's really unfortunate is the timing - I know a handful of LANs that were organized with CS:S tournaments today, heh...

all i can say to that is n000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000b - lol btw - watch out for that rocket ....awwwww man - now ya gonna reply :(

All new accounts are created on the 0:1 range so you gotta wait till this roblem is sorted.

yeps - gotta agree with bens posts tonight ppl - chill the frig out and go walk your pets or something - im off to bed :D Night night

Reply to what? Heh...you didn't say anything that made sense. Fortunately for me, I've already beaten HL2 way back during week one. I'm just making a point behind the...sillyness of running an offline/singleplayer game through an online medium. It does seem..."unfair", I suppose you could say, that in the absence of HL2:DM or CS:S we cannot fallback on replaying some of our favorite HL2 levels (not without some kind of "frowned upon" method). Either way, it's not like everyone can't live without their game(s) for a day or two, so...

Oh shit! First post n00bster count +1! I forgot that my education/intelligence was solely based on my internet post count. Sorry F1R3B4LL!!!!!111

Steam IS BACK UP AND WORKING FOR MOST PLAYERS NOW!!!

hehehe fooled ya

Zelnaga said:
Unlike them they get thier subscription extended. Example of Blizzard WoW where the server crashed due to the amount of people logging in.

Steam is not a MMORPG. Example would be Half Life 2. Its a single player for gods sakes, and obviously we cant play on it cause we have to use login to steam (offline mode doesnt work aswell)

Yah, their subscription gets extended a bit, but we get a lifetime of games and mods without paying an extra cent after purchase - we really are unfortunate!! :cheese: There is no single player for MMORPG, so they can't play AT ALL when the server is down - just like it is now. It's really not that big of a deal when put into perspective.

So quit complaining. Having to authenticate SP over the net is something new that Valve is pioneering in an attempt to wipe out piracy, and many new games will follow. It's like when smoking inside public establishments is madee illegal in a city - everyone who smokes hates the rule, and everyone who doesn't smoke likes it, but we all know its for the better and we eventually come to accept the new law. The gamers hate authentication (especially those who want illegal games), and the game companies like it, but we all know it's for the better (pour money back into the game industry to keep prices lower and games greater). So, the moral of the story is:

Suck it up, enjoy the benefits of steam, and make sure to keep a night (or maybe more) of missed gaming into perspective - it's not the end of the world.

^Ben said:
Nah starteed playing some hostile intent, windowed mode obviously and when I die I come browse here :p

And by my amount of posts in a short while you can tell i've died a lot :p

HI is the ****ing bomb. I would be playing it :(

Oh, and the account I use I made the day steam went out of beta. I used it for the beta too. and it's 0:1

Back