strange SHADOWS in HL2 demo movie

R

regnarts

I did notice some strange shadows in the HL2 demo movie
it's a bug or the limitation of the source engine ?

Attachments

• 1b.jpg
    1b.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 769
Probably a bug, and most probably has been fixed.

the shadow of the box can't be visible under the table!

Attachments

• 3a.jpg
    3a.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 692
Originally posted by Abom|nation

What else is there to say? We don't know... try mailing Gabe.

We're aware of this and, surprisingly enough, so are Valve.

They've had plenty of time to fix it. Remember that these movies are 3 months old.

Hmm...very interesting regnarts. And how may times did it take you to notice these glitches?

Originally posted by -JeZ-
Hmm...very interesting regnarts. And how may times did it take you to notice these glitches?

That question is a nitpicker's nightmare

actually I was so impressed by those demo movies at the first time I wathced them
especially those physics that the engine is able to provide
but after I noticed those flaw of the shadows, it reminded me how DOOM3 can handle the shadows...

anyway, I hope those bugs will be fixed before SEP 30 :)

there is no such thing as perfection don't look so close you are better off not knowing it.

There's also a bug where shadows are displayed through walls. There's one in the Barricade video.

In the Valve Info Thread, one of the programmers refers to a "Sorting Bug". I think this shadow thing is a part of it.

Will you take the time to notice these things in game though?

I thought not.

They are placeholders for gods (Gabe's?) sake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All o' that is fixed, probably.

I like the way every little flaw in the game instantly gets promoted to a "placeholder".

from the info thread, notice the "can't promise":

Shadows are on our list of items to revisit and improve before shipping. I
can't promise we'll fix this, of course, but it is something for which we
have time alloted.

Yahn

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 3:45 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: time for a q?

I (and others on halflife2.net's forums) would like to know something. In
the traptown video, Gordon pushes
a table in front of a door, but there is a problem in that objects on top of
the table cast shadows through the table
and onto the floor underneath. Will this be fixed in the final build or
would it impact cpu usage too much?

Originally posted by RoyGBiv
from the info thread, notice the "can't promise":

Shadows are on our list of items to revisit and improve before shipping. I
can't promise we'll fix this, of course, but it is something for which we
have time alloted.

Yahn

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 3:45 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: time for a q?

I (and others on halflife2.net's forums) would like to know something. In
the traptown video, Gordon pushes
a table in front of a door, but there is a problem in that objects on top of
the table cast shadows through the table
and onto the floor underneath. Will this be fixed in the final build or
would it impact cpu usage too much?
They won't be that stupid to ignore a bug like that. And, given the date of that Email, they'll probably have it fixed already.

LOOK!!!
those shadows were casted in different direction under THE SUN
funny :)

Attachments

• 13a.jpg
    13a.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 329
regnarts, i don't want to spill the news for ya buddy, but you're nitpicking waaaay too much, i mean come on the game was'nt perfect at e3...and won't probably be when its released--but i'll bet my pinky toe on that its most likely all (shadow bugs) has been fixed when you pick it up at your favourite store.

Originally posted by regnarts
LOOK!!!
those shadows were casted in different direction under THE SUN
funny :)

That is a confirmed fix.

Regnarts, I'm not usually one to say this (because I'm soo tired of people saying it), but I suggest you search the forums. All of this has been talked about at great lengths, several...several times.

Here's a pic I did back when this was new news:

http://www.clan-nbk.com/images/hl2shadow.jpg

That image is dated "07/29/03". That should put it in perspective for ya.

Aside from all of these bugs, I've wondered myself if, when you look down, you'll see a shadow of Gordon...

I even e-mailed Gabe asking him this but no reply. But seriously, in that DX9 demo, with the light angled the way it was, don't you think Gordon's shadow should have been seen when looking downward towards the beginning?

Don't complain too much guys, we may never see the game if Valve strive for perfection! ;)

Thanks Regnarts I just got an email from Gabe and he said they will begin working on a fix for this. He said that unfortunatly they will have to delay HL2's release until Summer 2004 but we would rather wait than look at funky shadows in a game. Also they are going to add a bladder meter so you know when Gordon has to pee pee because there is a bug where he can drink cokes for health but he never has to potty, this has led to many many people to stop playing the original Half life.

you have to cheat and use tricks and workarounds in 3d engines to maintain a high framerate. If they would do a 100% realistic lighting/shadowing, the game would be unplayable slow. They have to use "cheap tricks" to creat the illusion of a realistic enviroment. And in those special cases the tricks show their limits. I think in the final build you will also find such "bugs". As long as the game feels right, nothing big to complain about.

Each shelf is casting its own shadow and the case doesn't seem to be casting at all. This is a limitation of the projected texture system Valve are using.

theres a more obvious glitch

in the big movie where gordon shoots the pipe and it takes out like 4 combine then grenades the big box and it falls on 2-3 combine...

when he jumps down to their level you can see a combines body has passed through the box and is on the inside when he should be a flat gooey mess.

Originally posted by Dougy
theres a more obvious glitch

in the big movie where gordon shoots the pipe and it takes out like 4 combine then grenades the big box and it falls on 2-3 combine...

when he jumps down to their level you can see a combines body has passed through the box and is on the inside when he should be a flat gooey mess.

Click

thnx

i thought it had been discussed but couldnt find it.

This has all been discussed before, VALVe is fixing it, use the search button.

Originally posted by Feath
We're aware of this and, surprisingly enough, so are Valve.

They've had plenty of time to fix it. Remember that these movies are 3 months old.

while the movies are 3 months old, they are actually from an earlier build of the engine from what we hear, so its not even completely final

Back