Striders are apparently serious.

didn't some of your mates in the vid have the strider weapon, didn't seem to do anything to them then.

I really hope you have to take the striders down by special means and not just pound them with loads of firepower. I've always hated bosses/enemies that simply has higher hit-points, it's much more fun/challengin if you have to do something special.

ammmmm i think you can kill them using brute force like rockets aim to the head and by aiming for the legs because s lags are spiked physically it is not possibl to get up... maybe vlave didn`t find a wat to kill them maybe that`s the reason they don`t die :p
another question, how do you kill does blue things in the first video in the cave the 2 blue big wires how do we supose to kill does shit blue bags? :\ i wanna play hl2 :\.

CrazyHarij said:
If it's something I love in good games, are almost-impossible-to-kill enemies, they are so badass mostly.. Like the Hunter in Halo
I eat Hunters for breakfast. Seriously though, you can't have that much trouble with those things. I love thwacking them to death with the butt of my pistol.
And I already fear the Strider. I wet the bed last night when I had a nightmare about it.
Not really.

Sorry to cut in, but TheSoupNazi, could you please shorten your signature to 4 lines? Thanks.

I hope we will be able to blow its legs off. Those "kneeparts" look quite weak. That would probably stop it :) At least from moving too much :p

Maybe you can use the crowbar to kill it... they did say it was physically simulated, so if you can "grab" a leg with it, and pull it from underneth the "head" towards the other legs, perhaps it'll fall.

Weld its feet to the ground when it not looking. Then get its attantion and run round and round it in circles till its top comes unscrewed. Then climb up its leg crowbar the bloke inside. Easy!

Striders arent drivable, and if they were, it would be ghey... might as well just turn on god mode and use the I rifle.

beta spoiler:
Removed. How clear can we make it? NO BETA SPOILERS. The spoiler tags are not there to allow them.

BTW in the old Strider Attack video from E3 2k3, don't the striders have a reminescence of being organic? The way his gun shakes just makes me feel that maybe there's just like an exoskeleton of armor. It would be like those recent robotic legs that the military is testing out. An organic thing wrapped around in metal.... Just a thought because then I know they would be vulnerabe.

Hmmm if striders are this hard I don't even want to know how hard any bosses will be lol

Spoiler about striders and their deaths

EDIT-Sorry didn't see the above post about beta spoilers.

Ghost Freeman said:
When it ragdolls, it's going to fall on its knees first.

It'll also probably shake the ground.

And demolish buildings.

And crush you if your lucky enough.

I've always dreamt of being crushed by a Strider, haven't you?

I also would like to reinforce that I strongly believe these are to be "unbeaten" until a certain time in the game. Then you'll be able to kill them with something. I'm not going to speculate in what, but it's definently not going to be another "bomb map", seeing as how it's already been done in HL1.

There were several enemies in HL1 that you COULD eventually kill, but it used up most of your ammo, and then what do you do when some li'l guy shows up and you wasted all your ammo? Better to run around them and find some other way to kill them or escape.

I'll put money on it now there will be a scene where at least 2 striders will be chasing you on the open road while your in some type of vehicle.

JimJimBinks said:
I'd tell the Strider standing next to it, that it was making fun of it's mom. Then I'd watch as the one Strider killed the Strider who was making fun of it's mom. Then I'd befriend that Strider, and we'd eventually get married, and have lots of Strider babies that would fight on the side of good. I'd name them all after people on this forum.

DEFINENTLY the way to go.

Mechagodzilla said:
I just watched the E3 video again, and there's something you guys might want to check out.

In the second strider fight demo, watch the strider that crouches. Now, pay attention to its movements until the scene ends.
Don't worry, I'll wait until you get back.

Holy awesomeness, eh? :eek:

Yeah, reminds me of a daddy long legs :cheese:

I think it will be much scarier to fight it when it moves around like that since it's more stabe and faster in that position, and right in your face.

I'll try attacking it where the leg joins the body, since the knee joint will be harder to hit. They probably didn't want to show us one falling over because that will be really satisfying to see in game.

im thinking ill just weld them to the floor :D

seems obvious to me... you run to the nearest cattle grid, lure the strider to it and watch his lanky ass get stuck.

TheSoupNazi said:
I eat Hunters for breakfast. Seriously though, you can't have that much trouble with those things. I love thwacking them to death with the butt of my pistol.
And I already fear the Strider. I wet the bed last night when I had a nightmare about it.
Not really.

Yeah I know they are easy to kill, but apparently they're going to be tougher in H2, and look what happens if you leave a group of marines with a single Hunter.. :)

By the way, I didn't knew you were allowed to have an avatar with a text like that.

you know the combine tank it kicks over like a soda can in the 2004 vid (Gordon almost gets crushed)? Get the help of fighters or the manipulator to turn it over, and the thing with the cannon like its your business. Or, just use the manipulator it throw the tank at it. :)

In PC Gamer, a closed-door preview they commented about (this is rather old.. last E3, things may have changed), they say that the strider ragdolled realistically when it died, after being killed with gordon's shotgun.

I'd like to see a Strider side-swiped by a swinging i-beam like the one in the traptown video. How about using the crane on one? :naughty:

RhapSidious said:
I'd like to see a Strider side-swiped by a swinging i-beam like the one in the traptown video. How about using the crane on one? :naughty:

would be fun...but I don't think they're made of metal, think just really hard carapace.

You could still use the crane to whack it with something though.

Maybe use the sec. fire on the manipulator to blast large objects at it would work, also the terrain is deformable , remeber the old 600 mb gamespy movie in the beginning the ground grows up.

Someone needs to make a mod where you can play as Xen. Being a strider or a manatee flying thing, or ant lion gaurd would be so awesome. Think of multiplayer, seeing a giant strider taking down a manatee, and then seeing an ant lion gaurd ram the strider's leg, and it falls over. Some awesome mods could come out of this thread :smoking:

I want to be able to play as a Headcrab, instead of Health you've got Hunger-meter.. :)

Brains...

Seriously, I will make a demo where I will kill a Strider using a crowbar!

it probably has some sort of a G-spot under it's belly, like Gonarch from hl1, so launch a few rockets up it's arse and it'd start some chain reaction. obviously that spot would be damn hard to find but evetually you'd find it with a few well palced rockets. and i also wonder which is more powerful, the rocket launcher, or that grenade launcher that looks much beefier.

brettt said:
Personally I think you have to shoot it right in its peehole gun.
"Just when you thought you enemies couldn't get bigger- This beast will tower above you, and if you get to close, you become shishcabob- but everyone fears, it's most dangerous weapon, THE PEEHOLE GUN!"
:p

Well, the striders are indeed very cool, and it will be very fun to face em off, expecially with all your AI friends. :)

it probably has some sort of a G-spot under it's belly, like Gonarch from hl1

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

RhapSidious said:
ala Star Wars 6: Return of the Jedi. That would be very cool to watch it tumble

vegeta897 said:
ROFL

This opens a whole new mod idea...

you mean make a mod with the strider and the giant testicle from half life one making sweet hot LOVE? :naughty:

yes we could poke its g-spot with the crowbar and pleasure it to death for some really cool multiple orgasmic death sequences, but i hope to see some alien vs. combine fighting.maybe the xen aliens have a better chance at taking a strider down, man we need a fps that supports huge battles with thousands of creatures fighting at once, i would love to see like a few hundred combine with strider support, take on a few thousand antlions supported by the guards, in the middle of a city.

Back