The Whiteboard incident

You know, I miss all these little discussions about nothing. There hardly seems to be any of them anymore. Especially about Game Content. I blame the beta.

Well, at least we know that tomorrow is the day that BF starts something to do with the citadel.

If there's this much discussion about VALVe's whiteboard simply from a digicam shot, perhaps if the National News we presented in this way ppl would take an interest in it ;)

PArty

Maybe its the date for the anual company disco? besides distribution would still take weeks.

PiMuRho said:
While the whiteboard probably means nothing, June 3rd is not an unreasonable date for them to go Gold.

Also remember, as soon as the game goes Gold, Valve can start distributing it via Steam (although they may not allow activation until the retail date - but it would make sense for them to it prior to that to make Steam purchasing seem more attractive)

Hehe, for some reason I would find it somewhat funny to think of all these hl2 fans having HL2 finally sitting in their steam directory, yet unable to play it because it's not activated yet.

Yes I am a sadistic bastard.

I could only increase the view of it to that in the attachemnt, it sure does look like Start Disco tho.

Attachments

• Boardthing.jpg
    Boardthing.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 386
regardless of what is happening on 6/3 from that whiteboard, it IS the last date on that whiteboard... which is good. they are also weekly increments, on thursday's each time. does that mean anything? i don't know, but whatever this timeline is for, it is supposed to be completed on 6/3, as there is no date after that, right?

Start Disc?
Start Discography?
Start Discman so I can listen to some choons?
Start Discoffee machine - I need a drink?
Start Discount sale at M&S?
Start Disco...fancy a dance Gabe?
Start Discussing wage rise with Gabe?
Start Discourse in how to schedule properly?
Start Discontinuing this random game we made up to confuse the visitors?

Oh the joy... :rolling:

Actually looking at it more, its definately DISC followed by an R. Its not an O, because you can tell it clearly has a tail on the left.

Jesus Christ. Just wait and see. You won't die if you don't know what's on the board. And I can't see why it's and incident. 6/3 is maybe DISCUSTING... Because all of you spending time in try to get the whole thing clear. You can tell the man on the picture to step aside and you might see what it says.

But HELL NO. Please, for the lord of god, I don't think it has to do with any sort of "date" It might be the next step that they should fix !?!? You.. you... You are to desperate.. HL2 will come, wait and relax. Don't hype.. Jeeesus Christ I can't belive it ;D

Apos said:
Usually the beta stage takes a month or so at least...
While your presumed knowledge of game design is quite impressive, the fact is you really don't know what stage Valve is at nor how long it's really going to take them to finish Half-Life 2. It could be weeks, it could be months. The point is, we just don't know.

However, based on Gabe's "delta-zulu" joke, I assume he means they're so far into the developement cycle that terms like "alpha" and "beta" have little meaning. All we know at this point is that Valve is becoming increasingly confident that Half-Life 2 will be a Summer 2004 release.

The message "5/6 - Start Citadel" concerns me much more than the 6/3 quote. I don't know what it means exactly but what if they are starting the citadel levels or citadel model on 5/6, which is tomorrow. That doesn't seem like a good sign to me.

But perhaps it means something completely different. Not sure what tho.

Has anyone considered it is a timeline for the HL storyline....

Sprafa said:

Hmm interesting idea. Or perhaps the timeline for a certain script or something?

It was said they are doing play testing right now. Everything is mapped. I think it will be out late summer

nope ... those are certainly dates... like the last one is 6/3 "june 3rd".... after that pic, now i know we wont see HL2 in june :( those could be dates that they plan on fixing a bug on the game... (i could be wrong though)

Oh, shitheads.
The guy who went to visit VALVe asked what those numbers are for, IT'S NOT DATES!
It's specific parts of levels.

Just to let you guys know that C looks like a smudged lower cased t to me.

Also the Citadel date may be referencing a cut scene or in game movie they need to complete not actually levels.

Sprafa said:

The guy that went on the actualt trip says they are referring to cutscenes/scripted sequences in the game....

I hate to doubt him, and don't think he is lying, but like some people said, it looks really fishy, and a lot like dates to me, especially since we are in month 5..

TheWart said:
The guy that went on the actualt trip says they are referring to cutscenes/scripted sequences in the game....

I hate to doubt him, and don't think he is lying, but like some people said, it looks really fishy, and a lot like dates to me, especially since we are in month 5..

Perhaps it is related to the deadlines of completeing and approving those cut scenes as they have nothing to do with gameplay and are usually the last thing put in the game.

quote posted by moppe: ""Oh, shitheads.
The guy who went to visit VALVe asked what those numbers are for, IT'S NOT DATES!
It's specific parts of levels.""

how blind or stupid are you?!?! look at the picture from top to bottom left and right!! then post reply SHITHEAD.

um... I'm not reading this whole thing again to catch up, I'm just going to throw some fuel on the fire.

1. The word is Discmastering thus HL2 will be available shortly after 6/3
2. They are dates, no one will convince me otherwise, not even Gabe himself.

ok, carrry on

moppe said:
Oh, shitheads.
It's specific parts of levels.

Regardless of what the guy said, they're obviously dates, we can stop arguing about that. They increment by 7 each time (weeks), they allow 30 days for Apr and 31 days for May, and they're dates that immediately follow the date the photos were taken. Suggesting that they're 'scene numbers' and it's just an amazing date-like coincidence is rediculous.

Don't just blindly take statements for their face value, there's no way you could convincingly argue that those numbers do not represent dates.

yes, the keyword there is convincing, you can argue all you like :p

dscowboy said:
Regardless of what the guy said, they're obviously dates, we can stop arguing about that. They increment by 7 each time (weeks), they allow 30 days for Apr and 31 days for May, and they're dates that immediately follow the date the photos were taken. Suggesting that they're 'scene numbers' and it's just an amazing date-like coincidence is rediculous.

Don't just blindly take statements for their face value, there's no way you could convincingly argue that those numbers do not represent dates.

Well, I agree, it is just that it is odd that the guy who was there adamantly stands by his claim that they correspond to scenes in the game.

Perhaps they had to sign an NDA or something regarding release dates only.

It would be hilarious if it turned out to be discmastering, and the members of Hl2.net were the sleuths who discovered the status of HL2 by analyzing the whiteboard in the background of a personal picture.

Striker said:
quote posted by moppe: ""Oh, shitheads.
It's specific parts of levels.""

how blind or stupid are you?!?! look at the picture from top to bottom left and right!! then post reply SHITHEAD.

Oh, I'm sorry.
I forgot the fact that VALVe would lie directly at the face of a belgian school-class that got through all the effort of getting there just to be lied at.

That picture shows the leveldesigners whiteboard with a to-do list.
The numbers is certain parts / chapters of the levels.

Think before posting the next time.

I'm having a hard time thinking that those things are dates.
Although the 'evidence' of matching dates and weeks, VALVe said that's not the case.
They have no reason to lie on that thing except getting low points in the community.

moppe said:
Oh, I'm sorry.
I forgot the fact that VALVe would lie directly at the face of a belgian school-class that got through all the effort of getting there just to be lied at.

Think before posting the next time.

That very well may be true, but don't you find it at least a *very* supsicious coincidence that those numbers, exactly seven apart, account for 30 'somethings' in 'part' 4, and 31 'somethings' in 'part' 5? And Discmastering on 6/3 would mean going gold shortly thereafter (if that itself does not mean going gold), which would also happen to fit in with what Valve has been saying about a summer release.

they are dates :cheers:

diaf :flame:

:p

Edit:
exactly seven apart, account for 30 'somethings' in 'part' 4, and 31 'somethings' in 'part' 5?

exactly

:bounce: :bounce:

quote moppe:""""Oh, I'm sorry.

Think before posting the next time."""""

ok theres no point in talking to empty minded people. think before posting he says LMAO fool.

It makes perfect sense everything that you say and put up as proof and indeed, it's a very odd coincidence.

Maybe Striker_____ (don't remember his name) got mistaken about what was dates and what were chapters?

I wan't to belive that those things are dates and that the game will go gold on 3/6 but since he said that they're chapters, I'm having a hard time picturing that.
Right now nobody can be sure since Striker_____ said something and you say something else.

Strikeman was his name, I'm sure they all had to sign an NDA or enter some sort of blood pact with Gabe. They are dates.

Striker said:
quote moppe:""""Oh, I'm sorry.

Think before posting the next time."""""

ok theres no point in talking to empty minded people. think before posting he says LMAO fool.

I'm the empty minded person?

[SARCASM]I don't think before posting and is a complete shithole myself[/SARCASM]

Wouldn't it be funny if they are both dates and chapter numbers!

in the second whiteboard picture you can see the word "rocksockm" in the same area as the discmastering message, in case any of you are out of the loop, this has been gabe's buzz word for the effect HL2 will have on people when it has been released.

"What's it going to be like when HL2 comes out"
"Oh, it's gonna rocksockm!!!"

the fact is you really don't know what stage Valve is at nor how long it's really going to take them to finish Half-Life 2. It could be weeks, it could be months. The point is, we just don't know.

Sure, but what I'm saying is that if they haven't hit the straight content complete bug testing stage yet (no matter WHAT they call it), then we are probably still at least a month out from gold status, a month in which they basically take a hammer to the game to make sure it'll stand up to all sorts of different hardware, different settings, different environments, etc. I'm being generous here too: bugs can crop up anywhere, and they can be anywhere from a simple obvious fix to a painfully confusing and ultimately massive re-write due to a major oversight. You just can't predict it. The final gold status of HL1 was unexpectedly delayed right at the very end by an unforseen crash bug that apparently was quite maddening to track down, but luckily took only a tiny fix of the code to correct.

Of course, even after that games can STILL go gold and ship with nasty bugs in them. That's why, as long as Valve is sincere about wanting to ship something that will blow us away instead of crash to desktop and waste all their hard work on a botched launch begging for a patch, at least a good solid month of QA and testing is a near certainty, especially for a game this huge (contentwise) and complex (code wise: it's a totally new engine shipping for the very first time packed with all sorts of new features, many of which have never been tried before).

Well ill add my 2 cents, allthough no one asked for it. I think they are dates.

Back