Unreal 2006?

CptStern said:
"Midway have previously confirmed that no new UT titles will be shipping in 2005, so it's likely that this game will bear the name "Unreal Tournament 2006" or "Unreal Tournament 2007"
Midway is shipping it? I guess Atari lost its rights. I think I remember an article about Atari giving the shipping rights to Midway.

ray_MAN said:
Thanks. I hope they are taking the year off to work on the Unreal 3.0 engine. Pi, do you work/know somebody at Epic?

I know a few people at Epic

Pi Mu Rho said:

Your to cool, im serious. I wish i knew all those people. Hit me up with that new info son. Yo we gotthis uber cool new tech, oh shit sweet! When you release that bitch to public? Ah prob a year from now. Shit dun, muahahahha! :afro:

Raziel-Jcd said:
Your to cool, im serious. I wish i knew all those people. Hit me up with that new info son. Yo we gotthis uber cool new tech, oh shit sweet! When you release that bitch to public? Ah prob a year from now. Shit dun, muahahahha! :afro:
Yo, he won't fo' shizzle! Are you gansta? ;)

Pi Mu Rho said:

hmmm, you're the only person I know who I'd bend the rules of using torture as a method of information extraction! JEEBUS man! why dont you tell us anything!?!! these half-cryptic hints are driving me crazy!!!! .....dont stop :E

I know a few people at Epic, but there's absolutely zero chance that they'd tell me anything that the public don't already know.

Pi Mu Rho said:
Fenric:
You read my proposal for multiplayer the other week. Looks like I'm going to have to do a bit of a rethink, although I've already for the basics for a different mode sorted.

Yeah, well the last time this happened and you had to rethink a few things, the game improved, so it will again :)

Well, the UT games are more about fast action. We're more about being a bit slower and more tactical. With bigger vehicles :) And base-building :)
And I'll shut up now :)

ok ...so when are you going to release some information about your game? screenshots, gamefeatures, concept art, a piece of paper with a doodle of a soldier shooting someone with a caption that reads "insert fun here"!! anything!!?! give us a bone man

this is what I know so far: fps/rpg with bigger vehicles and resources

We've got lots of concept art, preproduction work, a fully-playable (if incomplete and somewhat buggy) tech demo.

However, so much is subject to change between now and when we announce it (as today has shown!) that it would be pointless to tell you any details. That's aside from the fact that I'd get my arse kicked.

When the time comes, I'll see what I can do to "leak" some info/screens.

hmmm ...so can you give us a time-frame as to when you'll "leak" info :) ;)

I'm curious cuz I'm tired of big name aaa titles having the same old tired mp gametypes ..from what you've hinted at it seems you guys are bringing something new to the genre ...that in itself is exciting

Well, once all the mundane stuff is done (studio, staff etc) then we can get down to the nitty gritty. I suspect we'll announce something around Septemberish (E3 is waaay too early)

ok now I have something to go on. I would have loved to see something at e3 (always nice to see new games around e3 as there always seems to be some gems at e3)

september-ish is ok as long as you guys release something when it's ready to be released (which is what it seems you're doing)

btw can I ask about the scope of the game in terms of production values? will it be a AAA game such as doom (own engine, tons of money for advertising etc) or is it more of an underground game that relies on word of mouth?

Definitely an AAA game, given the budget and the (licensed) engine that we're using.

The first thing that surprises me: where are the whining bitches? I refer most specifically to those people who screamed and wailed to high heaven when Epic cut the Assault game-mode between UT and UT2003. Where are they now that it doesn't look to be in the offerings for UT3? Have they finally realised that AS is and always was utter tripe (In 2004 it's a spam fest... in UT the average match time was below 1 minute)? Will they crawl out the woodwork if UT3 sucks and they need to find reasons for that? And will Epic put it in at a later date to shut them the hell up?

I'd start my own whining bitch club for Bombing Run fandom, but I think there are only 15 of us who like it. Naturally, i'm always the 15th so I can never make it onto the one 14 player server that runs it! My thoughts and concerns about where UT3 is headed:

- Gametypes. DM, TDM and CTF are the same old... Onslaught wasn't as interesting as it should have been (was great back when it was just Torlan for some reason) and Conquest may be too ambitious... at least it's not as bad as the UT2003 offerings though, where the "new" gametypes were simply CTF with marginally different rules.

- Maps: It's good to hear that they're doing the design before the art... UT2003's maps truely sucked. Anyone who says that UT2004 was just an addon is completely wrong... it's more like 2003 was a Commerically available Public Beta and 2004 was the real UT2. Or just a heap of smelly dog poo: you decide.

- Characters: This is purely speculative, but I feel that the characters we'll see in UT3 will be more along the lines of UT than 2003/4. Apart from the fact that they look all special and UE3 like, It doesn't look like they'll be going down the cartoony and frankly crap route they went last time round: Golden Shiny Egyptians, Clowns and obese ladies in Metal Dungarees upped the poly counts but came off looking really bad anyway.

And lastly, something I'd really like to see: A proper single-player game. I'd love to see them integrate a botmatch game with a intriguing story lead shooter. You play in a league In between matches you'd be fighting AI in the traditional way without flags and stuff. Beats playing the crappy SP in the UT series so far...

I can't wait for this game. Well actually I can because it may take as long as three years till we see it... and I may not have a PC capable of running it either...

Pi Mu Rho said:
Definitely an AAA game, given the budget and the (licensed) engine that we're using.

AAA means huge blockbuster Halflife2 type game that will blow the socks off of any Halo2 fanboy to give up his life and devote it to you?

Pi Mu Rho said:

ok, now I see the need for secrecy ....is the game built on an engine that's been released? :)

I'm even more intrigued Pi, I hope the game turns out the way you guys envision it, lots of luck. I'll be looking forward to the annoucements

CptStern said:
ok, now I see the need for secrecy ....is the game built on an engine that's been released? :)

I'm even more intrigued Pi, I hope the game turns out the way you guys envision it, lots of luck. I'll be looking forward to the annoucements

I don't understand you,

are they using UE3.0 engine for developin UT2006 ?

heheh yes ...but I was talking about Pi Mu Rho's game ...which has nothing to do with this thread ...my fault for derailing it ...it's just that I have so few opportunities to corner Pi into releasing information on his game

Pi Mu Rho said:

Which engine?

Your game sounds like the kind of game I want to play.

I can't say which engine. However, you may draw the conclusion that it's related to the topic in hand.

Pi Mu Rho said:
I can't say which engine. However, you may draw the conclusion that it's related to the topic in hand.
/me prays that it's the U3 engine.

Pi Mu Rho said:

Ah so it's the Doom 3 engine then?

I thought as much.

Pi Mu Rho said:
Well, the UT games are more about fast action. We're more about being a bit slower and more tactical. With bigger vehicles :) And base-building :)
And I'll shut up now :)

I think you just hit me. No seriously. C&C Renegade done right? Omg im jumpy now. :imu:

Holy crap Pi your game sounds pretty neat!

I mean base building FPS? HELL YEAH! as long as you don't screw it up like renegade did :p

Big vehicles? another plus! Can't go wrong there eaither. Just make sure they have many places for your teamates so that you can haul your friends along :)

I assume there will be flying things too?

The Dark Elf said:
The truth came out in another thread. He's working on the next Tomb Raider game in the doom3 engine. :)

My prayers have been answered!

Axyon said:
Probably because you pay so little to get so much content. UT2k4 was fantastic, and this sounds like it's going to be incredible... plus the Ripper will return :D
Ass...
I liked the mods for the game (AS, AB, RO) but the game itself to me just seemed like a bunch of 12 year olds running around taunting, ROCKET WHORE!! MINE WHORE!!! CAMPER!!! OMFG!!! and other crap like that. The vehicles were kind of cool, but they don't fit in well with a fast paced game like that. Although, it could have been that I never got into the game because my clan left it before I got it, and I have a hard time just pubing in games as assholes really piss me off.

Foxtrot said:
Ass...
I liked the mods for the game (AS, AB, RO) but the game itself to me just seemed like a bunch of 12 year olds running around taunting, ROCKET WHORE!! MINE WHORE!!! CAMPER!!! OMFG!!! and other crap like that. The vehicles were kind of cool, but they don't fit in well with a fast paced game like that. Although, it could have been that I never got into the game because my clan left it before I got it, and I have a hard time just pubing in games as assholes really piss me off.
It sounds like you were just playing with the wrong people. UT2k4 was/is very cool.

The Dark Elf said:
It sounds like you were just playing with the wrong people. UT2k4 was/is very cool.
I guess, I did like Unreal Championship for the xbox because I got a clan right away (that was pretty good too). I just can't stand people who trash talk, I am fine with Halo 2 because I can trash talk back, that and I am pretty fecking good at the game.

so, wich high up epic staff member you had to penitrate to be able to get a license to the unreal engine 3.0?

Seriously I would love to know cuz my game isnt going anywhere now, cuz all the next gen engine dudes like UE3.0 and Reality engine want AAA game dev studio's. Well, we are currently only a small startup team with limit fundings. We got a 45 trial on the reality engine tho, but we'l play with that when our programmers are back. But the thing is that unreal code is used for ages now and programmers who worked on unreal mods are familiar with it.

anyway, its looking dim atm, we are still very early in the preconceptual stages.

Anyway, glad to see your doing great pi, good luck to your team, and If you could help us with "connections in teh bizz" or pointers then it'l be very appriciated.

Ugh... imagine the 'omg teams plz' with 8 different teams.... :rolling:

jonbob said:
Voice control sounds naff.
It was in 2004, but it was really wonky. You address the bots by "alpha, beta, gamma, delta" monickers and then say a command like "defend" "attack" "cover" and you have to tell them the same shiat like 4 times before they responded to your command. Even after I trained my voice with it.

But it was fun if you saw a teammate bot with a Redeemer and you say "Delta, gimme" and he runs over to you and chucks it at you without hesitation :thumbs:

Back