**** USA 23rd Nov, Europe 26 Nov. UnOfficial ****

Lanthanide said:
Oh, and to everyone wondering about whether this is official or not: didn't some other game site, VoodooExtreme or something, recently say that it was scheduled for a 23rd release? But then it got taken down and everyone said it was a hoax?

So perhaps this is more confirmation. Or perhaps this is just EuroGamer picking up the ball and running with it (for some bizarre reason).

Oh god. Please say that Eurogamer didn't believe that fake site as well. It was a fake site, the URL didn't match the official Half-Life 2 site.

Although the dates are slightly different from what they were on that site.

Lanthanide said:
Oh, and to everyone wondering about whether this is official or not: didn't some other game site, VoodooExtreme or something, recently say that it was scheduled for a 23rd release? But then it got taken down and everyone said it was a hoax?

So perhaps this is more confirmation. Or perhaps this is just EuroGamer picking up the ball and running with it (for some bizarre reason).

Apparently, it appears as if someone high up from a retailer (GAME probably) has 'leaked' the news they were given by Vivendi off the record to Eurogamer. If you look at the article.

That's how it seems right now, and why this date looks more promising than others in terms of being real.

Concept said:
Apparently, it appears as if someone high up from a retailer (GAME probably) has 'leaked' the news they were given by Vivendi off the record to Eurogamer. If you look at the article.

That's how it seems right now, and why this date looks more promising than others in terms of being real.

Yeah but from Sept. 15 to Nov. 23 seems like a long time to print/manufacture just one game. I was betting, I mean hoping for October :(

whilst the game release isn't official, I really would bet good money that it won't see retail shelves until 23rd november, this is one of the best times to sell games, as it's just in time for the christmas rush, it's the end of the final fiscal year (these are normally march, june, september, nov). That's why you always see an influx of games around these quarters.

I bet the game is ready for gold now.

And not to suck the publishers c**k or anything, but I can see there reason for madness over steam. It is ultimately going to cut sales by what I would expect to be at least 30%. Especially if steam gets it 12am of the release day (9 hours before retail USA, and 3 days before UK).

FISKER_Q said:
That is not a rule or a law, However you are right that it is common.

EA Games does not do this in scandinavia, they release their games on thursdays contrary to others releasing on fridays.

So sure they have a choice, it's just about contracts with the store to hold it off for x days. Or just ship it so it fits into their release schedule.

I'm pretty sure that no game can be released before the release date and the release date has to be a Friday in the UK. I don't know whether it's the law; it could be down to chart rules or something.

@ Feath & Concept

Ah, ok. I didn't entirely know what happened with the whole website hoax thing, didn't know it was someone who made a website in the likeness of an official one trying to pass it off as fact.

Even so, it's possible that this Eurogamer website has been fooled by the same prank (perhaps someone else they respected got fooled by the hoax and so pretended they 'knew' what was really happening, etc).

Even so, it's possible that this Eurogamer website has been fooled by the same prank
Eurogamer have talked to somone who works in retail. Retail have been informed of the date in advance (as always).

One of the Eurogamer's writers has chimed in on the site's forum to explain the situation:

Krudster said:
VU has told UK retailers this date. This is how it works - retailers get to hear all sorts of things before they're "officially" announced. Shelf space has to be booked, window displays booked, ad campaigns taken out - this has all only just been given the green light. This isn't idle speculation and comes from very good sources. Trust us, ok, we're not a crappy rumour site.

it's a fact. i usually get games on a monday here in canadia eh? but that's just because my ebgames is cool. it's a fact

Concept said:
One of the Eurogamer's writers has chimed in on the site's forum to explain the situation:

Well excuse me if I still remain skeptical :p

hmmm... i must be dreaming..

/me slaps myself a few times.. then realize it was no stupid dream...

WOOT!!

An identical thing happened with Doom 3.

Activision told all the retailers August 3rd. All the retailers changed dates to August 3rd yet the community had heard no "OFFICIAL" word. A few weeks later iD announced it was gold and would be released on August 3rd.

It's the same thing happening here. Once retailers start changing dates then we can believe it with absolute certainty. Keep an eye on the big sites....

sounds like Valve thought the game would be released early October, hence the print reviews out already (they need a longer lead time, so they had to organise it weeks ago).
online reviews held until release? methinks there will be plenty more illegal scans circulating.

Eurogamer is a big site. ;)

But yes, I agree. Keep an eye on IGN and Gamespot over the next few hours/days.

WHY NOVEMBER? how can they say november??? omg this reminds me of last year ...

If it´s true... there is an exceptional big gap between first review --> release date. Nearly 2 months

Strange...

brullan said:
If it´s true... there is an exceptional big gap between first review --> release date. Nearly 2 months

Strange...
I think its because Valve are using the reviews as leverage against Vivendi to help get the game released late october-early november

pixartist said:
WHY NOVEMBER? how can they say november??? omg this reminds me of last year ...

Yeah next thing you know there's going to another delay and whatnot :|

By the way nice sig :LOL:

Can someone change the title to "Not official", I personally think its mis-leading.

Dates

Dagobert said:
I stake my reputation on this date.

I stake my steak on this date

But seriously be happy but don't count any chickens before they hatch at the moment.

T :D

i hope it's not true... i was cocksure that it would be released in the next few weeks :mad:

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't there a thread a couple days back about how someone at Valve got a bit ansy and posted the gold news? Which was faked as you could tell by the URL?
ANYWAY! Back to my point, I believe that screenshot that showed Valves mistake had Nov 23rd marked.

Now either the person who faked it, had some information or an inside source OR Eurogamer have somehow not realised that it was a fake?

I am deffinately eager to hear what Valve have to say about this 'suspected' release date.

Rolan said:
Now either the person who faked it, had some information or an inside source OR Eurogamer have somehow not realised that it was a fake?

I think Eurogamer just messed up. They don't mention where they got that information, and I bet it's from the faked gold announcement.

If this is official, well, let the painfully slow and surprisingly long countdown begin...

Seppo said:
I think Eurogamer just messed up. They don't mention where they got that information, and I bet it's from the faked gold announcement.

If this is official, well, let the painfully slow and surprisingly long countdown begin...

Yeah, but the dates given on that fake gold site were different. The UK release was in December.

EDIT: Althought the US release date is the same. It could've just been a guess. How many Tuesdays are there in a month?

I won't believe anything until it's officially confirmed. It could be right, but I'm not placing any bets either way.

Feath said:
Yeah, but the dates given on that fake gold site were different. The UK release was in December.

EDIT: Althought the US release date is the same. It could've just been a guess. How many Tuesdays are there in a month?

Uh oh, you're right. This doesn't look good. Well, if this is official, at least we have a release date. It's just that I was hoping for October or at least early November.

Oh, and it looks like November this year has five Tuesdays, the fifth being the last day of the month, Novemeber 30th.

Would be cool if it was offical, my birthday would be 3 days after hl2 comes out.

could valve release a demo of HL2 to bridge the damn long waiting time (if the release date is true) ?! that would be very nice.

This would be really good news if it was official. I'll just wait for a word from VALVe and/or VUG. After that I'll wait till the local gameshop has set the date and versions they'll be selling and then I'll put an order. And during time to release, I'll be play some frickin' other good games like R:TW, Panzers, Vampire, etc.

Only downside is that its 2 months away, 2 months is a long time -.-.

Back