What country are u from ?

Originally posted by City Hunter
I´m also from Germany. If Halflife 2 will be censored, I will buy it in Switzerland. I´m not feeling free in Germany, I´m 21 years old and most games are censored here. I think that´s not a democracy.

Wait an minute. You can order the us and uk version if you want. And not germany is changinge the game, it's valve. They want to get the game in the "ab 16" category (that's like the ESRB Teen category) to sell more copies of the game. They could release it uncut and get an "ab 18" rating (ESRB Ao adults only). That would limit the target market. That's why we get censored games. Is USA unfree? They also have such ratings:
http://www.apple.com/games/gettingstarted/images/esrbchart.gif
to protect the youth.

But why hasn´t Germany joined the Pan Euopean Game Information, so that whole Europe can get the same version?

Originally posted by Rasmoh
Mistäs päin?
Aah, täältähän löytyy muitakin Soomi-poikia, eiköstä tämä meidän supermoderaattorimme D33 ole myös Suomesta?

And for everyone else who don't understand that, I come from land of santa and polar bears (yeah right), also known as Finland.

Originally posted by City Hunter
But why hasn´t Germany joined the Pan Euopean Game Information, so that whole Europe can get the same version?

Never heard about that, but you can freely order in other german countrys uncensored games and pay with euros. So that should be no problem at all.

Originally posted by Kensu
Aah, täältähän löytyy muitakin Soomi-poikia, eiköstä tämä meidän supermoderaattorimme D33 ole myös Suomesta?

And for everyone else who don't understand that, I come from land of santa and polar bears (yeah right), also known as Finland.
Yllättävän hyvin Suomi edustettuna täällä boardeilla. Tosin minä taidan olla BB:n ainut savolainen :) .

Originally posted by Pol
you stole my sig!
Who what where? If you mean that avatar, I have used that for ages, and I recently thought that you stealed that from me :D

(It is very well-known in finnish BBS called Muropaketti, so nobody can "steal" it)

But that doesn't matter me, it is just so funny looking...

Originally posted by Rasmoh
Yllättävän hyvin Suomi edustettuna täällä boardeilla. Tosin minä taidan olla BB:n ainut savolainen :) .
Hah, mä olen kanssa, tarkemmin Savonlinnasta... Asutko sä sitten jossain tässä lähistöllä? :D

Originally posted by Kensu
Hah, mä olen kanssa, tarkemmin Savonlinnasta... Asutko sä sitten jossain tässä lähistöllä? :D
Kuopio rock cityssä asustelen :) .

Originally posted by FriScho
Wait an minute. You can order the us and uk version if you want. And not germany is changinge the game, it's valve. They want to get the game in the "ab 16" category (that's like the ESRB Teen category) to sell more copies of the game. They could release it uncut and get an "ab 18" rating (ESRB Ao adults only). That would limit the target market. That's why we get censored games. Is USA unfree? They also have such ratings:
http://www.apple.com/games/gettingstarted/images/esrbchart.gif
to protect the youth.

The main difference being that the German government can actually deam games "innapropriate" and indeed black list them to be "restricted" from minors, as was done with Command & Conquer: Generals, of all games.

The ESRB in the States is something that was instituted by the game industry itself. It has nothing to do with the government, nor can the government ever tell it what to rate anything. The government cant blacklist or deem any video game innopropriate for minors, or anyone else for that matter.

Originally posted by Shocky
The main difference being that the German government can actually deam games "innapropriate" and indeed black list them to be "restricted" from minors, as was done with Command & Conquer: Generals, of all games.

The ESRB in the States is something that was instituted by the game industry itself. It has nothing to do with the government, nor can the government ever tell it what to rate anything. The government cant blacklist or deem any video game innopropriate for minors, or anyone else for that matter.

we also have installed such an instance, called USK (independent self-control of the software industry), that has started working a few month ago...of course, we had to add a certain amount of buerocraty to make it impossible for anyone to actually understand why this or that was done...we have an image to maintain. Anyway, i still think that certain games should be on the blacklist...there is some really strong stuff out there that absolutly supports hitler and stuff. Made by americans, for germans. However, C&C generals just had bad luck comming together with 'Gulf War 3 - the hunt for saddam'.

Originally posted by Archangel
we also have installed such an instance, called USK (independent self-control of the software industry), that has started working a few month ago...of course, we had to add a certain amount of buerocraty to make it impossible for anyone to actually understand why this or that was done...we have an image to maintain. Anyway, i still think that certain games should be on the blacklist...there is some really strong stuff out there that absolutly supports hitler and stuff. Made by americans, for germans. However, C&C generals just had bad luck comming together with 'Gulf War 3 - the hunt for saddam'.

That is interesting. Is the USK now the only group that sets ratings on games? Or does the government still retain power to blacklist games?

As to the hitler(dont think his name deserves to be capitolized..) "stuff" that is made by Americans for Germans, I am curious as to what you might be speaking of?

I know the swastika is outlawed in Germany, I am curious if you could answer a question for me. How far does that censorship go? Is the swastika removed from games like Wolfenstein? Are you allowed to show swatikas on television? or television history documentaries? Is the image of hitler himself banned?

This is just personal opinion, but if something like the nazi party came to power and did what they did in my country, I would want to learn everything about that group, how it came to power, how its propaganda worked, how it tricked the population. I would want to understand everything about the orginization, to make sure it would never have a chance of happening again.

It seems to me that by outlawing all these nazi images, you are in essence trying to sweep that time period under the proverbial rug and pretend its not there.

Just one mans opinion, no offense intended :)

I'm from Hungary, the most unique country of all :farmer:

That is interesting. Is the USK now the only group that sets ratings on games? Or does the government still retain power to blacklist games?

As to the hitler(dont think his name deserves to be capitolized..) "stuff" that is made by Americans for Germans, I am curious as to what you might be speaking of?

I was refeering to the well known fact that most german neo-nazi groups operate their propaganda mchine from the US - they have their Internetservers there and produce their CDs etc there.

I know the swastika is outlawed in Germany, I am curious if you could answer a question for me. How far does that censorship go? Is the swastika removed from games like Wolfenstein? Are you allowed to show swatikas on television? or television history documentaries? Is the image of hitler himself banned?

thats a tight subject...there are no swastikas allowed in games. Period. the US-version of MoHAA even was confiscated at the borders...they are usually replaced by an iron cross. However, films are allowed to show them in a historical correct manner. If you ask me, that should also apply to games, but who asks me...

This is just personal opinion, but if something like the nazi party came to power and did what they did in my country, I would want to learn everything about that group, how it came to power, how its propaganda worked, how it tricked the population. I would want to understand everything about the orginization, to make sure it would never have a chance of happening again.

It seems to me that by outlawing all these nazi images, you are in essence trying to sweep that time period under the proverbial rug and pretend its not there.

Just one mans opinion, no offense intended :)

I think it was made in the beginning to make it impossible for die-hard nazis to regroup shortly after WWII. If they did not see any Swastika, they couldn't rally around it. It just keept going...and no, we try to come to a peace with our past...you see, if everytime someone notices that you are german, this someone raises his right arm to salute hitler(you're right about the capital letter^^) or just starts blaming you for all the bad germany caused...you, who was born long after the war, but still burden with the collective guilt...it just pisses you off. We try to see our past in an objective way - knowing that this is almost impossible. You see, every class has to make a tour to a concentration camp, the way hitler came to power is discussed at least two times in your educational career. The young generation of germany isn't guilty of raging war...but we are responsible for our past and have to make sure that this never happens again.

Im from Sweden..

yeah and about that anti america thing...Americans answer me this...what the hell are you so proud of? you have like no national identity, just people from all over the world gathered in a stolen country.

Originally posted by h00dlum
Im from Sweden..

yeah and about that anti america thing...Americans answer me this...what the hell are you so proud of? you have like no national identity, just people from all over the world gathered in a stolen country.

What are you proud of? Are you proud that you have a people that you can call "Swedish", in both in name and in appearence?

I am proud that I live in a diverse country. I do not need everyone around me to have the same general look in order to feel identity. America accepts you not for how you look, but for who you are. Yes, not long ago we treated blacks horribly in this country, but we are striving our best to make good of it. We have come along way. I am proud that in my state we have a Chinese man who is governor and runs the entire state, I have no problem that he isnt the same ethnicity as I. He is as American as anyone else.

Yes there will always be prejedice in one form or another, it is human nature. We have many faults, but we do our best to correct them. America has many faults, but at least we strive to change them, rather then sweeping them under the carpet.

Now, can you honostly tell me with a straight face that a man of Chinese decent would have any chance of being the prime minister of Sweden? Or how about a black man?

Please enlighten me as to what you are so proud of, and why I should not be proud of my country.

We have many faults, but we do our best to correct them. America has many faults, but at least we strive to change them, rather then sweeping them under the carpet.

Saying this is just basically the same as lying, or having no knowledge.
I agreed with most of the rest of your post, though.

What are you proud of? Are you proud that you have a people that you can call "Swedish", in both in name and in appearence?

I am proud that I live in a diverse country. I do not need everyone around me to have the same general look in order to feel identity. America accepts you not for how you look, but for who you are. Yes, not long ago we treated blacks horribly in this country, but we are striving our best to make good of it. We have come along way. I am proud that in my state we have a Chinese man who is governor and runs the entire state, I have no problem that he isnt the same ethnicity as I. He is as American as anyone else.

Yes there will always be prejedice in one form or another, it is human nature. We have many faults, but we do our best to correct them. America has many faults, but at least we strive to change them, rather then sweeping them under the carpet.

Now, can you honostly tell me with a straight face that a man of Chinese decent would have any chance of being the prime minister of Sweden? Or how about a black man?

Please enlighten me as to what you are so proud of, and why I should not be proud of my country.

Who the hell said i was proud, i asked Americans a question. I like Sweden but im NOT like a super patriot. hmm u belive all swedes are the same, let me just laugh...the imigration level here is sky high man. A chinese man for prime minister..well personaly i would´t want that, in my opinion i think a swede should rule Sweden..i would accept that i couldt be prime minister or whatever in China or Africa.

Please enlighten me as to what you are so proud of?
What im proud of, hmm that would be the country itself, and hmm some of our history.

And why I should not be proud of my country?

Be as proud as u want, but i wanna know why americans think they r the best always, your country is far from perfect.

Originally posted by h00dlum

Please enlighten me as to what you are so proud of?
What im proud of, hmm that would be the country itself, and hmm some of our history.

And why I should not be proud of my country?

Be as proud as u want, but i wanna know why americans think they r the best always, your country is far from perfect.

Im proud that my country had the balls to seperate from British rule, that is part of our history. Why should I not be proud of MY country? Because you dont like it? Boohoo

I dont think my country is the best, american's dont think they are the best. PEOPLE LIKE YOU ARE THE ONES WHO THINK AMERICANS ARE ALWAYS THE BEST. Every post made by you has to be about bashing americans huh?

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Zerox
Americans, why don't you go bomb something?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You mean like the Israelies?
Zerox you don't live Palistine do you?
Your real name Mohamad something or other is it?

Originally posted by peoplesuc
quote:
Originally posted by Zerox
Americans, why don't you go bomb something?

You mean like the Israelies?
Zerox you don't live Palistine do you?
Your real name Mohamad something or other is it?

Actually it's misfitt.

;) :D

England.... Once we ruled the earth, but now.... Now we have let other countrys build up their own strength

Back