What have you done to prepare for HL2?

staddydaddy

Reaction score
I ask what you have done or will be doing to prepare for the release day?

What I've been mainly focused on is upgrading / building a new computer. I'm currently on a PIII 500mhz 128 ram and Matrox G400 machine. I just bought a Radeon 9800 256mb DDR-II (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3432124155&category=41999&rd=1), and I'm planing on get a system set up around the following specs: P4 2.4ghz or 2.8ghz (help me decide), 800 fsb, 512 ram.

Does anyone remember the cpu speed of the e3 computer?

The only other thing that I think I might do is get a new mouse. I had that gray explorer mouse with like 5 buttons and it was really nice, but it died and there's no warrantee.

i got my dad to buy me a new comp for my birthday.

the valve comp was 2.8ghz.

Buy a lot of Fanta Drinks plus Build A PC and buy Audgy2 ZX 7.1 with 7.1 speakers.

Make sure your motherboard can support such a high speed CPU. If not, sounds like you're going to need a new motherboard, too.

Hmmm. Tidied my computer desk a little, overclocked my graphics card, ran scandisk, and i'm going to get round to defragging and using a CD drive cleaning disk (nothing is going to spoil my precious HL2).

how is fanta? i made a bunch of short clips on their site, but ive never had the drink.

Getting a new comp, AMD ATHLON Xp 2500+ ASUS n78x mobo, 512 ddr 400 ram, 80 gig drive, ATI RADEON 9600 Pro 128 meg and a 19'' Viewsonic Crt.

Originally posted by hitman827
Getting a new comp, AMD ATHLON Xp 2500+ ASUS n78x mobo, 512 ddr 400 ram, 80 gig drive, ATI RADEON 9600 Pro 128 meg and a 19'' Viewsonic Crt.

Viewsonic is just crap,
iiyama is one of the top-rated monitor manufacturers

http://www.iiyama.com/

:cool:

Pull down the shades, get a gant Coke Slurpee. And obtain some fancy headphones.

I've just bought a Radeon 9800.

Will be getting another 512mb of ram.

I've been reading this forum...
I've already the computer (2400XP, 512, R9700 should be fine to run HL² I guess), the mouse (MX500), the 5.1kit (Z-680).
I'm ready.
I still have to make some free space on the hard-drive so I can install it, hehe

Originally posted by Joneleth
Make sure your motherboard can support such a high speed CPU. If not, sounds like you're going to need a new motherboard, too.

Oh Yeah, I'm getting a new mobo. I just forgot to mension that. Well the motherboard I'm looking at is about $95 and a P4 2.8 is going to run me about $310 I think.

Do y'all think I should go with a 2.8ghz? I scored big time buy getting the 9800 on eBay. I saved $45-$90.

well... i'm not gonno do anything yet... but next weekend... i'll format all hdd-s :) clean up my desk.. and... get a haircut :)
i have a problem with stereo.. my two speakers are both to my right... one to the right of the window and one to the left... and in front of the window there's this big and heavy couch... i have to do something to get my stereo :p if i'd just have wireless monitor mouse and keyboard
lol

Bought an mx700 mouse.
Drunk lots of beer to pass the time.

[Edit] Oh, and go for the 2.4 P4 then push up your FSB a bit - they love it

I bought a 2400+ cpu, 256Mb pc2100 ram, and might update my 8500le 64Mb to a 9600 pro.

Replacing my Asus V8170Pro GF4MX460 64MB with a Hercules 3D Prophet 9600 PRO 128MB this coming week..

I Saved Up My 3 dollars a day from school since the 1st of september.
Just to get HL2 i hope i have enough :?

- played thru HL1, Op4 and Blue-Shift again
- ironed my wiener

That should be enuff preparation. :)

Video card: ELSA Gladiac Geforce 3 (Orginial) -> Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro 128

Memory: 384 RDRAM -> 768 RDRAM

Reinstalled windows for a clean start.

What i did was save up for hl2, didnt have any money, oh, an i bought a new mouse. woo hoo.

I've bought a new motherboard, cpu and RAM. And i've putted away some money just for HL2.

I've been working on my endurance, seeing how long I can successfully stare at my computer screen without falling asleep. :dozey:

Oh y'know, the usual:

-Bought snacks
-New computer
-Faked own death to cut-off social life

Should be good, eh?!

buying a 9600pro radeon

upgraded to 2mg cable for that MP goodness

and owned on cider, the drunker you are the quiker time flies......

:cheers:

I've seriously been upgrading my computer. My last purchase was one of the new Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS models. It should arrive this week, and I'll do a full format to have everything in top shape.

The days before the 30th, I'll sleep a lot to prepare for the upcomming lack of sleep and work ahead on all of my classes.

Can't wait. Here's to many, many hours of happy gaming, friends. :cheers:

Originally posted by G0rgon
Viewsonic is just crap,
iiyama is one of the top-rated monitor manufacturers

http://www.iiyama.com/

:cool:

viewsonic is not crap, bud...i have a 19" and it looks great.
maybe there's better, but viewsonic defenitely isn't "crap"

besides, iiyamas are expensive...i got my p95f for less than $220

New comp here (not the only one i see). Also bought a new mouse.. first time for me =)

1. The only flaw I see in my hardware is the Geforce 4 MX I have for a video card. And the amount of RAM and CPU speed I have more than make up for it.(I can run games such as BF1942 or the COD demo at full graphics with no slowdown at all.) I'm not a big fan of graphics but if I really need a new card I'll just buy a radeon 9800 or maybe a Geforce 4 Ti.
2. Clearing up HD space. I NEVER want to see the sacred HL2 box sitting in my hand while I have no HD space ot install it to. That's like the highest level of torture. Almost like dling an encrypted version of HL2 via steam early but having to wait till the 30th to decrypt it.
3. Playing HL1 SP like crazy. I never bothered to finish it before but ever since I saw the E3 demo I've been playing like crazy.

Only one inevitable enemy stands in my way: Homework(dun dun dun)

Half Life 2 is really helping out hardware sales, look at all the people buying new computers or upgrades! :thumbs:

I switched out my FX5600 256mb for a 9600 256mb...and I picked up 256 more ram... but HL2 or not I would've done it.

an extra 512 rdram (takes it to 1gb)
10,000 rpm hd drive
Logitech THX 5.1 speakers all arriving tomorrow
:bounce:
considering a razor boomslang for accurate gman slapping :bounce:

The computer peripheral and component industry owes Value big time. I was at a comp fair today. I have never seem one so packed full of people. I swear every 10 secs you could overhear someone talking about HL2. I know the eBuyer.co.uk have found it difficult recently to forfill next day orders cause they're over run. Funny really...its only a game

Back